• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Voice acting has really helped immerse me in stories. Maybe its a failing of mine, but I find it very difficult to care about a story that is meant to be read in a video game. I'd rather just read a book.
Given that, for me, its the mass effect trilogy and KOTOR. I don't think they are even a great stories, but they are stories that kept me interested and immersed though. I think the VA and conversations really help that.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Are you talking about
The Pale?? What a weird thing, I don't quite know what to make of it tbh. Like places are separated and fragmented by some ominous dimension where you can lose yourself. Is it a metaphor? Is it just a neat setting? Idk if I got all the info about it though I did the church.

Yes, precisely. You can also learn more about it through the rich gal with the boat, IIRC (and the bookstore if you look in the right place). But it comes out that even Kim was trying to keep this information from you (despite it being somewhat common knowledge), worried it'd cause a complete mental breakdown. It's such a cool sci-fi concept that explains so much about the world, but it's completely missable.

The other thing was (ending spoilers)
The encounter with the cryptid, and how it ties everything together in such a profound and beautiful way

aCid

Aug 18, 2018
Canada
Outer Wilds, while being purposefully disjointed, has a beautiful story that is very compelling to unravel.

13 Sentinels, while borrowing and being inspired by many sci-fi tropes, more than manages to combine them in a completely bonkers yet cohesive narrative. Quite a treat/ feat to play and behold.

Looks like I need to try to get through Soma again, but I just can't get into the unsettling environments you navigate... would it be ruined if I read its story somehow? Or is playing it really integral to it being lauded as a great sci-fi story?

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I don't know how I'd quantify 'best', but some that have really stayed with me are NieR Gestalt, Steins;Gate, Gone Home, SOMA, and the first Mass Effect.

Steins;Gate in particular is, I think, the best time travel story I've experienced.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably mass effect 1 or KOTOR...maybe. weirdly i haven't actually played a game where really good performance has been paired with really good story.

Like, I'd definitely put last of us and uncharted and even RDR2 at the top of the pile in terms of characterisation and performance...but the stories within them are generally quite simple.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
planescape-torment.jpg

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Come back to this topic in 6 months when more people have played Disco Elysium

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
For me its between:

1. The Last of Us (1 & 2) - the funny thing is while praising it is almost cliché at this point- its really is just THAT good. The story and material isn't even all that profound- its another take on the zombie apocalypse, the ugly world it creates, dealing with infected, but humans are always the worst enemy, etc- well trodden stuff. But Naughty Dogs characters- the voice acting, graphics, animation, gameplay, they are all just pure bliss and without peer. Its ok if you are cliché, when you your execution of the material is complete perfection, and the performances are immaculate. The ending of both games will forever haunt my dreams.

2. The Legends of Heroes' extended Trails series (Trails in the Sky trilogy, Trails of Cold Steel 1-4, Crossbell Duology)- I will lead off and say those who don't like jrpgs, anime, and a lot of the tropes involved- probably won't have their minds changed by this series.

But if you love JRPGS, turn based stuff, story based games, with huge casts of characters, and epic long form storytelling and world building)- here is your rabbit hole to spend the next few years on- basically 9 games, you can spend a hundred hours with each entry on, and a connected world, with ties, plot threads, characters that carry over from series to series .

Yes, you can start and end with playing the Cold Steel Series (most easily available right now on PS4/PS5), and manage to follow most of the plot (but might have to wiki yourself up to date about some other characters/past events), but.... if you can- start with the Trails in the Sky Trilogy (PC), then the first two Cold Steel games (highly recommend on PS4 with the enhanced versions that give the speed boost which enhances things immensely), then try and play the Crossbell Duology (if you can manage playing a game that was never localized West and deal with fan translations or cross fingers and hope the recent Japanese PS4 reissues get brought over by NISA or Xseed), and then finish with the last two Cold Steel games (and cross fingers they bring Hajimari and Calvard west too, since they continue the story further from there)

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Twists that are intentionally foreshadowed hit home harder than twists out of the left field.

I totally agree about Mother 3 btw. It has tremendous range. It has moments of comedy and tragedy and both aspects are just so consummately and unpretentiously done. It puts me in mind of Kurt Vonnegut's writing.

I'm totally with you on the sincerity observation also. Despite being as goofy as it is, there's a charming lack of irony. Shigesato Itoi is an absolute gem.

Thinking about other writers: I enjoy Matsuno's work but it's a little too straight faced for me. Yoko Taro has his moments but he's also prone to unearned and over-egged drama. Chris Avellone can be great in bringing together complicated worlds with strong dialogue, he's a bit comic book esque for my tastes though. Kojima's work has some inimitable and sublime qualities but unfortunately the man has no filter. Naughty Dog has a very professional blockbuster execution but I find it strangely unfulfilling. I think Tim Schafer might come close to Itoi - Grim Fandango in particular. I really want to check out Disco Elysium but I haven't had the time yet.
Kojima is a blind squirrel who generally manages to find a nut or two every game, his good ideas are really good though

NeoBasch

Banned
Sep 17, 2020
I still have an extensive backlog so I'm sure I'd include more had I played them but for now...

999 (haven't played the rest yet)
Xenoblade Chronicles... and X (eat your heart out)
Persona 3 and 4 (haven't played 5 yet)
Digital Devil Saga 2
Silent Hill 2
Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
Grandia II
Final Fantasy VIII (yes... 8)
Alan Wake
Mass Effect... and 3 (yes, I hated 2's story, and before anyone says anything I also thought 3's ending left a little to be desired too but I thought the rest was solid)

Probably forgetting some I'll hate myself for later, but that's off the top of my head.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
The answer is always Silent Hill 2. Not only did it forever change my relationship with video games, it went on to influence my taste in films and what I look for in general from audio-visual storytelling. I completed a fresh playthrough early this year and nothing else I played in 2020 came close. It's one those timeless experiences that grows richer and resonates deeper each time I go back to it.

Pathologic 2 and Outer Wilds are two more recent games that I'd put up there as well.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Most game stories suck but I would probably go with RDR2, purely for Arthur (though there are other stand out characters). The evolution of his character over the events of the game are handled really well and it goes a long way to making the story work.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the last three Druckmann games. Uncharted 4 might slightly edge out both TLOUs though.

Honorable shout out to Horizon Zero Dawn. The story elements in that game are actually bafflingly impressive.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I'll give a top 5 because it's hard to just pick 1.

5. Gone Home
4. Nier
3. Mother 3
2. Planescape Torment
1. The House in Fata Morgana

Honorable mention to Terranigma.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
As a good, well-written, and coherent one, the best ones I've experienced come from Black Isle rpg, namely baldur's gate 2 and planescape torment.
As a personal favourite, the legacy of kain series, if taken as a whole. But I can't stand the gameplay (read: loading times) of Blood Omen 1 and 2 so...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
To me it's probably Higurashi/Umineko When They Cry, but it's basically a book so kinda cheating here. For "normal" games it's TLOU II and Disco Elysium.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy 8. Loved how you need to realize the nature of the time loop to understand Ultimecia's characterization.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh I don't spend much time now thinking of the best written stories in games, cause I feel a lot of them are easily beat by books or movies.

What I really like now are stories which find ways to effectively weave mechanics in the service of the narrative. The best example I have of a game that does this is Pathologic 2. That's a game where you play as a plague doctor and have to deal with a collapsing economy and supply chain in the middle of an outbrea. It's not a survival game so much as it's a game about how far you will go to survive, trust me there is a distinction there when you find yourself debating the merits of breaking into somebody's house, stealing their bread and even killing people for their blood to develop antibiotics if you think it's somewhat justified. Or on the flipside braving the plague ridden districts of the city to administer immunity boosting medicine to somebody who might just as well die the next day anyway, with no material reward for doing so. If you want to stay on a more morally grey path well people will turn a blind eye to the looting of previously infected districts, but you will be competing with the entire town in doing so and risking being mugged by the same people you are tasked with protecting.

It achieves a degree of ludonarrative coherence I've not really seen in any other game ever. Only problem is the game isn't complete yet and huge swathes of story is still to be told in the Bachelor campaign, which is where the foundation of the story was set in the original game. You really need the two contrasting perspectives to consider the story 'complete'

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I need to try to get through Soma again, but I just can't get into the unsettling environments you navigate... would it be ruined if I read its story somehow? Or is playing it really integral to it being lauded as a great sci-fi story?
It's not quite the same thing, but there's a SOMA mod that turns off the monster aggro mechanic so that you can just explore the environments without worrying about them. Some people prefer going through the game that way.

kotaku.com

SOMA Mod Stops Monsters From Attacking, Improves The Game

SOMA is a contemplative horror game dripping with psychological, oftentimes existential dread. It’s also about running from scary monsters. Surprisingly, however, stripping out that second part actually makes the game more enjoyable and, in some ways, scarier.

I didn't play SOMA myself but watched a let's play of it, since horror games aren't my thing. I think the story came through just fine that way too, as long as you don't watch a player who endlessly talks over the game.

If you want to avoid the game entirely, then there's a novel that explores some similar concepts, though the title of it is a bit of a spoiler.

Amazon.com: Mindscan (9780765349750): Sawyer, Robert J.: Books

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
For me it's Planescape: Torment. Also wanted to give a runners up shout out to Kentucky Route Zero, To the Moon and Finding Paradise, I loved the stories in those games!

Last edited:

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons because the story was told through game play. It's the only time that I got to experience a story in a game that couldn't be told in any other medium.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Lot of good ones. Suikoden 2 is a personal favorite. Panzer Dragoon Saga is amazing. KOTOR as well.

999 is up there, with Virtues Last Reward being not too far off too.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future is amazing.

One of my favorites this generation is What Remains of Edith Finch. That broke me.

This last year had some amazing contenders. All of Kentucky Route Zero, 13 Sentinels, and The Last of Us Part II were stunning.

Fraxin

Oct 28, 2017
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together probably. Great cast, great line by line writing, and manages to have several interesting endings when most games can't even manage one.

I second this.

In addition to the multiple interesting endings, the choices given in the game are some of the heaviest I've seen and surprisingly enhances the overall narrative experience.

Usually games with choices tend to have weaker narratives or doesn't effect the overall quality of the story. I can't imagine Tactics Ogre not having those choices.

I'll also say FFT does have a great story too.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
It's not quite the same thing, but there's a SOMA mod that turns off the monster aggro mechanic so that you can just explore the environments without worrying about them. Some people prefer going through the game that way.

kotaku.com

SOMA Mod Stops Monsters From Attacking, Improves The Game

SOMA is a contemplative horror game dripping with psychological, oftentimes existential dread. It’s also about running from scary monsters. Surprisingly, however, stripping out that second part actually makes the game more enjoyable and, in some ways, scarier.

I didn't play SOMA myself but watched a let's play of it, since horror games aren't my thing. I think the story came through just fine that way too, as long as you don't watch a player who endlessly talks over the game.

If you want to avoid the game entirely, then there's a novel that explores some similar concepts, though the title of it is a bit of a spoiler.

I just want to piggy back off this comment and say that the devs actually added in a mode where the monsters dont kill you, after that mod cameout.