• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Hearts of Stone is up there...

main-qimg-83a392da9f2dabea25650ff12bfbbf03

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
The Zero Escape trilogy as a whole. Never had my mind blown so many times by a video game story. I don't think it'll be topped anytime soon.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Hearts of Stone really stuck with me. Edith Fitch as well.

I guess I kinda like that haunting/cursed family angle.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 1.
Metal Gear Solid 1.
Dark Souls.
Half-Life 2.
Morrowind.

EDIT:

Hearts of Stone is another good mention.

To be clear, I pick titles that are good stories utilizing the specific format of video games, not every game does that.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Just experienced MGS2 for the first time this past summer and it really changed how I looked at storytelling in video games. Like, it's far from being a well told story; it lacks cohesion and at times appears to lack logic, but the pure ambition of what Kojima was trying to say is unmatched to this day, even outside of video games.

Life Is Strange. I don't think I'd make an argument that it's, like, objectively the best-written or whatever, but you asked for stuff that made an impression. I felt that story in a way I've never felt a video game story. It's lingered in my memory in a way nothing else ever has. It's been five years and I still think about it all the fucking time. And I know I'm not the only one.

100% agree.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons because it actually used the unique aspects of the Gaming Medium (player input) to convey key parts of the story without relying on the traditional Dialogue or Written words.

Otherwise I think some recognition is due for naturally occuring dynamic "stories" like the EVE Online betrayal epics. Games that have meaningful player choice would be worthwhile to mention, but I don't think any of them have a particularily good story or end up just being branching story.

Everything else could have been done just as well with another medium (Books or Movies/Shows) and likely be better for it. Even ones I absolutely addored and affected me a great deal like Red Dead Redemption 2 really didn't tie Story and Gameplay very well if at all

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds for me.

Not a whole lot of stories cover
loss and how it's not necessarily a bad thing
in such a beautiful way. From the Interloper to the Sun Station, every aspect of that world, its characters, and their motivations are so fully realized with barely anyone directly speaking to you.

There's simply a lot there if you explore and it all makes more than enough sense. Truly a story that requires the medium and vice versa.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Probably TLOU, the whole thing. Part 1&2 and Left Behind.

If cheese and anime hijinks are allowed, then MGS3 lol.

JDHarbs

Oct 28, 2017

The greatest game stories can only work as a video game because they use everything at their disposal in unison to convey their ideas. Story can be told through level design, environmental art, game mechanics, etc. just as much as it can be told through writing.

BioShock uses all of these things, and I haven't come across another game that really does the same at the level that it does.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Ill add dark cloud 2. Its not the best story im sure but its just something tha gives me a ton of nostalgia:

-the entire ost is underrated beyond fuck.
-the locations and characters are charming
-the story of a boy from the past, a mother from the future, and the way the past and future connect blew my mind as a kid

TLG and SOTC utilize gaming to tell a story that cant be told anyway else

RDR2 and LOU1 take the expensive AAA approach and have done an exceptional job telling their stories

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm getting older I'm starting to realize story plays a big part in my enjoyment of a game, it decides if I'm willing to finish a game or not. That's probably why I always gravitated to JRPGs and heavy story based games in general.

Now I'm wondering Era which game (or game series if they are all connected) had, in your opinion the best story told in gaming. Like what left a lasting impression on you, or that you can appreciate on how well written or realized it is. Any genre goes (yes, also VNs) and it can even be well done world building!
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together is my pick. Incredibly well written, full of tough choices, and fantastic dialogue all around. Not to mention several routes that allows you to learn so much about characters despite taking a radically different path.
eqzfeq_xuaas1m0b8jtm.jpg

ss-232hsk9a.jpg

tacticsogre1uaj07.png

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception/Mask of Truth
The House in Fata Morgana
Undertale
Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse

My top four hasn't shifted in years. Zero Escape (999 and VLR) is up there in terms of themes and the way it utilises the medium effectively, but the stories themselves aren't the main draw looking back on them.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's probably not really deserving of the honor, but the storyline of Final Fantasy XIV from A Realm Reborn through Shadowbringers is something I think about at least once a week even though I haven't been subscribed since Shadowbringers' launch window in 2019 (I played about 3 months after the debut of Shadowbringers).

I got super attached to the cast in XIV and the general hopeful attitudes that the story seems to cycle in and out through its dramatic beats in a way that just won't escape my mind.

It's an MMORPG but I think it's probably my favorite Final Fantasy and maybe even video game narrative ever. It helps that my experiences with the community have largely reflected the vibe of the game itself and I feel like when I play it, I'm not the only one that's absolutely enthused to be a part of its ongoing story. In my case, it's a pretty distinct and unique story impression I've had from a game, nevermind one that's multiplayer.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017
Also, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. Kreia's writing alone justifies the entire setting, and the political commentary still resonates today.

It's Star Wars at both its most and least subtle, and it's a game I highly recommend playing via Steam or the new mobile release alongside The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification.

KOTOR is one of the goats to me, but back in the day, 2 didn't click for whatever reason.. Might have to give it another shot. Is it BC on Series X?

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
KOTOR is one of the goats to me, but back in the day, 2 didn't click for whatever reason.. Might have to give it another shot. Is it BC on Series X?
It is, though you lose the quality of life improvements from the community patch I mentioned. If you absolutely cannot play it on a computer or mobile device though, here's the Microsoft Store link:

Buy Star Wars KOTOR II | Xbox

The fate of the galaxy rests in your hands!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Not trying to be an elitist, but it's clear that many gamers were unwilling to open their hearts and minds to the poignant themes of BMX XXX.

May 19, 2020
it's the house in fata morgana and its prequel and it's not even fucking close, wake me if some AAA garbo ever touches that let alone breathes the same air as those two games

Green

Oct 27, 2017
  1. KotoR; #1 GOAT
  2. Mass Effect; Bioware's follow up to KotoR had big shoes to fill, because they needed to create an entirely new universe as grand feeling and interesting as Star Wars. They nailed it and then some. The sequels never came close for me. I wish I could play this again for the first time. That Main Menu bootup feel was something else.
  3. Halo 2; while CE introduced the universe, this one expanded it in such a grand way that the universe became an almost tangible thing to me. The whole concept of Halo Lore was pretty well started with this game.
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time; this one is on this list because of how little story there actually is, but how grand the hero's story actually felt driven by mostly the gameplay. Just a really nice early take on the Hero's Journey in 3D. Loved MM, but more for it's writing than overall story. To me OoT takes the cake for Zelda.
  5. The Last of Us; More than any other ND title, this one stuck with me the most. Brilliant and succinct. Like reading a really good novel.
  6. Bioshock; For it's moment-to-moment delivery and twist. Incredible worldbuilding through dialogue and audiologs.
  7. Portal 2; For the best puzzle-game narrative and writing I've ever played. My favourite Valve game. The funniest game I've ever played.
  8. Fable; Nothing has felt quite like this since. I love the way fairy-tale way the whole thing plays out.
  9. Alan Wake; the only "thriller"/"horror" game story I ever could get into. Super Steven King vibes. Super Twin Peaks vibes. Love this. Need more.
  10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Nothing quite nailed the tone that the game was going for quite as well for me in any other Rockstar Game. Love this one.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Disco Elysium, and it's not even close (in my opinion, of course). It's the story of a very human character, with all the flaws we have. It's also the story of a world that's eerily similar to ours, only it doesn't try to hide things that are more hidden in the real world.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Hearts of Stone.

A masterfully crafted fairytale with a wonderful cast and unforgettable villian.

Oct 27, 2017
As a reader of books, I can't imagine anyone playing videogames for their stories. Time and time again when I've played a game that supposedly has great writing/a great story, I've been disappointed. Don't get me started on visual novels like 999. Don't get me wrong, I do think things are headed in the right direction, but even the best of the best right now tend to be pretty amateurish.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I also tend to play games for the gameplay and I love genres like stgs and fighting games which are almost strictly gameplay.

The only game that I've genuinely continued to play because of the story was Yakuza (particularly Like a Dragon, but all of the recent ones have been pretty great).

Last edited:

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say :

TLOU series
RDR series
What Remains of Edith Finch
Portal 1/2
Gone Home
Stanley Parable
Walking Dead Telltale
Bioshock
Witcher 2 and 3 and DLC
Psychonauts
Valiant Hearts
Spec Ops: The Line
Papa and Yo
Bastion

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Virtue's Last Reward has some of my favorite characters in the medium and blows your mind like five times over. It has the coolest use of alternate timelines I've seen. I love so much about that game.

God, I liked Zero Time Dilemma, but if it was on par with the first two games that whole trilogy would honest-to-god be one of my favorite stories in all of fiction. 999 and VLR are so damn good.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of plot, Ghost Trick. In terms of themes, NieR: Automata. In terms of characterization, Life is Strange.