• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Xenogears for me. The sheer scale of the story, the themes it explores, the great characters, and all the twists - it really makes for a one of a kind story in gaming.

Mar 8, 2018
I don't know about the best, but the only gaming story that moved me heavily at the time and continues to touch my soul a year later is Outer Wilds. Truly spectacular bit of storytelling that leverages everything great about video games to deliver a message that is meaningful, relevant, touching, and surprisingly personal.

Jul 15, 2020
I love the story Celeste told - perhaps not quite on the same scale as some of the bigger ones already mentioned here but felt it deserved a nod.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alan Wake - It's the game that really made me fan of Remedy.

Inside - One of the best told stories using the strength of the medium

OP
OP
Slushimi

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
I have come to a similar realization as I've gone through mutt early 20s. Story is the most important to me, I can suffer through bad (or non-existent) gameplay if the story is fantastic, whereas the game must be pretty good for me to play it without a story.

Exactly my thoughts here. For example BOTW is one of those games that while lacking in story is good enough for me to beat it completely, but I'd be hard pressed to finish a game like Astral Chain because the story just isn't interesting enough for me to power through the last few acts

The House in Fata Morgana hands down. Admittedly one of the least interactive visual novels though so not really a game.

NieR 1 (Automata's good too, it's just more abstractly good, like more interesting to think about its themes)

Definitely two games I can't wait to play!

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's Final Fantasy Tactics for me. Political espionage, betrayal, a corrupt church. Everything about it is just so perfect. I can't do it justice with a description. It's something that just has to be experienced.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This thread is really good at populating a backlog! Keep that good shit coming.

I hope they re-release RDR2 for next gen at 60 fps... I just could not get into it on 1X.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
I have come to a similar realization as I've gone through mutt early 20s. Story is the most important to me, I can suffer through bad (or non-existent) gameplay if the story is fantastic, whereas the game must be pretty good for me to play it without a story.

The House in Fata Morgana hands down. Admittedly one of the least interactive visual novels though so not really a game.

999 is very emotional and has a lot more gameplay, and stands relatively alone from the rest of its series (which is definitely worth checking out too, it's just that you don't need to in order to have a complete satisfying experience).

NieR 1 (Automata's good too, it's just more abstractly good, like more interesting to think about its themes), Last of Us 1 (2 if you have a strong stomach for deeply unsettling subject matter), MGS1-3, Mass Effect 1&2, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, RDR1&2 (if you can stand the clunkiness and outdated nature of Rockstar's gameplay and mission design).

Deus Ex 1, Human Revolution and Mankind Divided for deep noir Cyberpunk explorations of humanity.

I have a soft spot for Tales of Symphonia and Abyss' stories, Xenoblade 1 & 2 as well, despite all being. Bit standard anime-ish at times which some may dislike.

The Swapper is an underrated pick. Very deep and existential.

By most accounts 13 Sentinels is fantastic.

The Walking Dead Season 1 (haven't played the rest so can't vouch for it) and Tales From The Borderlands.

Halo 1-3, ODST and Reach for not super deep stories but still the best in the FPS genre.

Fire Emblem Three Houses so far is cool, just a bit too long.

Oh and of course Undertale and Deltarune Chapter 1 (episodic, only part that's out yet).

Edit: Oh yeah gotta 2nd Outer Wilds, though it's story is sort of abstract.

The House in Fata Morgana, no other story has impacted me like that one.

Yeah if we're counting Visual Novels as games then House in Fata Morgana is a top contender.

Lot of good picks already said, Nier 1+2, kotor, disco, red dead 2, i'll throw in Lisa too

edit: oh oh oh and 999 and detention are good too its hard to decideee

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Shenmue. As someone who grew up doing a lot of martial arts and being massively into the films this game was and still is perfection for me.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Fallout: New Vegas. Such a simple premise, three factions are seeking control of a dam and a city. The motivations and politics behind each faction is just amazing to listen to and experience. Even the one that's without a doubt evil, is still an amazing experience to learn about.

It's a simple story told amazingly well.

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
Cave Story

It excels in uncovering its story through gameplay choices and exploration.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Oh god, there's too many to choose from.

Horizon Zero Dawn, TLOU 1/2, FF7/8/10, LiS 1 off the top of my head are masterpieces.

And Mass Effec trilogy.

Jan 4, 2018
- Lost Odyssey
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Ace Combat 5 / Ace Combat 0
- The Last Guardian
- KOTOR 2
- Jade Empire
- Eternal Darkness
- MGS3 /MGS4
- Metro Last Light
- Quantum Break

My favorite story is the list would probably be Shadow of the Colossus. Or Ace Combat 5. I don't know. Too hard to decide.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Last of Us Parts 1 & 2. To me, that's an easy call. The best stories are not just interesting, but have strong delivery. The Last of Us has it all.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. Not only for its lovely, creative, and inspired narrative, but also because of how well it ties its story with the video game medium, and even the DS hardware.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
I'll have to say Disco Elysium. It has something going for it that other good stories don't have and that's exceptional prose. Shoutouts to Heaven's Vault, Florence, Wide Ocean Big Jacket, and We Know the Devil. It's just that their scope might be too small to be the "best story told in gaming".

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I've actually come to the opposite realization lately; story is almost entirely incidental to my enjoyment of a game, and the more prominent a game's story is, the more likely I am to find it wearying.

That said, my answer for games I've finished is probably Silent Hill 2 or the original Nier.

It's probably actually this, but I need to go back through and actually finish it to say for sure (I got to the town that was shifting over into Carceri, which I gather is pretty far).

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The Nier games, 13 Sentinels, and 999/VLR come to mind, mostly because of the way their stories unfold, in ways unique to the medium and not just as linear stories.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Silent Hill 2. Not only do I think it's the best video game story, it may even be the best horror story of the modern era.

It changed the way I view video games significantly too. Made me realise that they have the potential to be the best medium for story telling by allowing the player to mold it and truly see it through their eyes. It's sad to me that I don't think video game story telling has come a long way in the nearly 20 years since SH2 released but at least the frequency of games embracing ludo-narratives is increasing.

Same here.
Silent Hill 2 remains the unbeaten champion to this day for me, not just because it has a great story, but because of how it integrates your gameplay behavior into the outcome.

Not just a game-changer, but it greatly impacted me as a human being and how I think about dealing with terminal illnesses.

Aug 10, 2019
The Last Guardian - A simple and predictable story that's told exceptionally well.

God of War (2018) - What a change from the original games. One of the best games this gen and a fantastic story.

The Last of Us - One of the most emotionally resonant stories told, not just in gaming but in modern media.

The Last of Us Part 2 - They could have been lazy with this story and everyone would have been fine with it, but Naughty Dog did the opposite. They took everything amazing about the first game and flipped it on its head. An unapologetic and brave story that will pull at your heartstrings wether you like it or not.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - No one was expecting to prefer Arthur over John and yet here we are. Watching this story unfold is an experience that is unmatched in gaming.

Portal 2 - A fun story with some truly funny writing. Very few games can make me laugh but this one does it from beginning to end. It helps that it's also one of the best games of all times.

Yakuza Zero - I'm currently playing through this and I must say that the story and characters are one of the main draws. I can't speak more because I haven't finished it yet.

Disco Elysium - I haven't played this yet, but my goodness I can't stop hearing about how exceptional the story and writing are. I can't wait to play it on consoles in March.

Final Fantasy Tactics - A surprisingly good story with a terrible translation.

Metal Gear Solid - A fantastic "action film story", well told and well acted.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The absolute generic story of DQ XI soured my feelings on DQ, is DQV that much of an improvement story wise?
Well I should qualify that I like simpler stories in games... but yes. V is essentially a revenge story where you start as a child and grow into an adult. It has a Count of Monte Cristo feel to it.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the top of my head:

- Silent Hill 2
- Portal 2
- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- That Dragon, Cancer
- Dragon Age II

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think I enjoyed Control more than anything else in a while, honestly.

Edit: God of War PS4 and TLOU 2 are also massively heavy hitters here also.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Life Is Strange. I don't think I'd make an argument that it's, like, objectively the best-written or whatever, but you asked for stuff that made an impression. I felt that story in a way I've never felt a video game story. It's lingered in my memory in a way nothing else ever has. It's been five years and I still think about it all the fucking time. And I know I'm not the only one.

yep

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
After watching a bit my wife wouldn't let me play Last of Us without her watching so it's definitely that for me. Still haven't played the sequel but will one day

Nov 8, 2017
Best is too broad of a thing to say, methinks.

• Planescape Torment
  • Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
These have all excelled in different ways. Probably many others that are slipping my mind right now.

Planescape has a lot of brilliance in it. It's also dated in a few ways but it has truly exceptional theming and a lot of great writing on a micro and macro level. Quirky fun characters, tragedy, and a series of mysteries that often have surprising answers but not in a way that feels cheap and just in it to trick you.

Ghost Trick is a joy almost start to finish. You're constantly laughing and smiling (unless you get stuck on a puzzle). It's another mystery that doesn't fuck up at the end with unsatisfying nonsense. Everyone loves missile, and with good reason!

Wolfenstein: The New Order is part of a series that would have you going in with very low story expectations. Instead of a dumb musclehead space marine dude, the protagonist is recontextualised as a kind of warrior poet in his private thoughts who longs for a peaceful life but just can't let those bastard nazis run the world. The plot may be silly, but the cast of characters is exceptional and it's a game that has a lot to say, unexpectedly.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Not what I would normally jump to when I think story, but one of the more recent examples for me is the rhythm game, Deemo. The gut punch at the end broke me. :(

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
image0.jpg