• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
While I'm getting older I'm starting to realize story plays a big part in my enjoyment of a game, it decides if I'm willing to finish a game or not. That's probably why I always gravitated to JRPGs and heavy story based games in general.

Now I'm wondering Era which game (or game series if they are all connected) had, in your opinion the best story told in gaming. Like what left a lasting impression on you, or that you can appreciate on how well written or realized it is. Any genre goes (yes, also VNs) and it can even be well done world building!

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Mother 3

The pacing, the characters, the evolving world, and the incredible writing.

It's a game I'll never forget.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
RDR2. Arthur Morgan is the best character that the gaming medium has ever had.

I want to mention SOMA for telling a truly great Sci-Fi story, that is probably the best scifi narrative in games.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
In terms of purely the plot, I'd say Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. It has one of my favorite storytelling moments ever:
Sigma's "You didn't do that last time!" to Alice. Fucking rocked my world when I was playing the game for the first time.
If we're taking everything into account like characters, writing and dialogue, I'd have to say The Walking Dead: Season One (which is also my favorite game of all time).

What Remains of Edith Finch also left a very lasting impression for me.
Mother 3

The pacing, the characters, the evolving world, and the incredible writing.

It's a game I'll never forget.
This, also.

Last edited:

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
WarioWare Gold. Wario hosts an esports tournament but plans to pocket all the money. He is also being pursued by a five year old who hates Wario because he stole a toilet.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Mass Effect 1/2, Sly 2, and Jak 2/3 are the games that first come to mind when I think of best stories in games.

I think Mass Effect 1 has the best world building of any video game. Mass Effect 2 has the most interesting characters. Sly 2 has the best character dynamics, and the best villains. I don't think Jak 2/3 are necessarily "the best" in any of these areas but their characters/stories are interesting enough for me to put them up there with these other games. I also think Jak 3 is the most "epic" feeling game that I've played.

I don't think there's one game yet which I could say has the best overall story. I feel like there are a lot of different aspects to stories and no game has been amazing yet at all these aspects.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
humanity personified

maxresdefault.jpg

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Disco Elysium, handily. Well-told, with a very human touch, and it will definitely give you plenty to think about.

Quite liked Transistor as well, but Disco has a lot more meat to it and generally resonated with me more.

Last edited:

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Also, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. Kreia's writing alone justifies the entire setting, and the political commentary still resonates today.

It's Star Wars at both its most and least subtle, and it's a game I highly recommend playing via Steam or the new mobile release alongside The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together probably. Great cast, great line by line writing, and manages to have several interesting endings when most games can't even manage one.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Undertale, it uses the medium in a way that very few games do to give more weight to it's narrative while also just telling an entertaining and well written story throughout. Undertale blurs the line of gameplay as narrative and does some incredibly special stuff.

Also some of y'all are really not as funny as you think lmao

Sep 12, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2 was incredible in its truly novelistic ambition of showing the end of an era and America changing reflecting on a protagonist, especially in the AAA space. It really showed up to me how lacking in substance most mainstream games are

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
There's a couple of answers to this question and it depends on what you mean. If execution is taken into account than it's The Last of Us, the Witcher 3 or Xenogears.

If you're just looking for the best story and 'story-telling execution' doesn't matter, that opens it up to everything from FFVI/VII to Metal Gear Solid.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Disco Elysium was very good writing, but it didn't feel *effortless*. It might have the best dialogue in the medium, but I didn't find the overall storytelling as wonderful.

I do gravitate toward Ghost Trick and Virtue's Last Reward. Does Outer Wilds count? idk.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Life Is Strange. I don't think I'd make an argument that it's, like, objectively the best-written or whatever, but you asked for stuff that made an impression. I felt that story in a way I've never felt a video game story. It's lingered in my memory in a way nothing else ever has. It's been five years and I still think about it all the fucking time. And I know I'm not the only one.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
For me not the best story but the best package overall that includes the story itself, characters, cinematography, tech to make things believable and other things is the last of us series.
this and red dead redemption 2 are the golden standards for me in storytelling in videogames.
But theres many other good examples to...

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I agree with many here. I also thought Assassin's Creed 2's story was captivating in a way they haven't quite been able to recapture. Ezio's growth as a character, the mysterious history of the Objects of Eden, the romantic setting. Such a wonderful game.

OP
OP
Slushimi

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Some very interesting answers so far, love the variety!

There's a couple of answers to this question and it depends on what you mean. If execution is taken into account than it's The Last of Us, the Witcher 3 or Xenogears.

If you're just looking for the best story and 'story-telling execution' doesn't matter, that opens it up to everything from FFVI/VII to Metal Gear Solid.

Anything goes really, guess it would depend on what one would prioritize over the other be it execution or not. Interesting point nonetheless!

Life Is Strange. I don't think I'd make an argument that it's, like, objectively the best-written or whatever, but you asked for stuff that made an impression. I felt that story in a way I've never felt a video game story. It's lingered in my memory in a way nothing else ever has. It's been five years and I still think about it all the fucking time. And I know I'm not the only one.

Yeah anything is fine. Glad to see it had such a lasting impression on you and I can understand why it did having played the game myself as well

Oct 25, 2017
I have come to a similar realization as I've gone through mutt early 20s. Story is the most important to me, I can suffer through bad (or non-existent) gameplay if the story is fantastic, whereas the game must be pretty good for me to play it without a story.

The House in Fata Morgana hands down. Admittedly one of the least interactive visual novels though so not really a game.

999 is very emotional and has a lot more gameplay, and stands relatively alone from the rest of its series (which is definitely worth checking out too, it's just that you don't need to in order to have a complete satisfying experience).

NieR 1 (Automata's good too, it's just more abstractly good, like more interesting to think about its themes), Last of Us 1 (2 if you have a strong stomach for deeply unsettling subject matter), MGS1-3, Mass Effect 1&2, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, RDR1&2 (if you can stand the clunkiness and outdated nature of Rockstar's gameplay and mission design).

Deus Ex 1, Human Revolution and Mankind Divided for deep noir Cyberpunk explorations of humanity.

I have a soft spot for Tales of Symphonia and Abyss' stories, Xenoblade 1 & 2 as well, despite all being. Bit standard anime-ish at times which some may dislike.

The Swapper is an underrated pick. Very deep and existential.

By most accounts 13 Sentinels is fantastic.

The Walking Dead Season 1 (haven't played the rest so can't vouch for it) and Tales From The Borderlands.

Halo 1-3, ODST and Reach for not super deep stories but still the best in the FPS genre.

Fire Emblem Three Houses so far is cool, just a bit too long.

Oh and of course Undertale and Deltarune Chapter 1 (episodic, only part that's out yet).

Edit: Oh yeah gotta 2nd Outer Wilds, though it's story is sort of abstract.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my favorites are Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, What Remains of Edith Finch and SOMA.

Damn, last gen was good.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mother 3. It just has this aura of sincerity to it that I've never seen another game pull off to the same extent. It's a game that very clearly has things to say, but shows rather than tells. The characters are both likeable and flawed in an almost uncomfortably realistic way. You'll see some of the twists coming well in advance, and it will still hit you just as hard when they occur, because you're so invested in the characters. And it really plays with video game storytelling tropes, unafraid to swap around playable protagonists as it sets up its world, to the point where the classic "quest" objective of most RPGs isn't even presented until the final third of the game.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Silent Hill 2. Not only do I think it's the best video game story, it may even be the best horror story of the modern era.

It changed the way I view video games significantly too. Made me realise that they have the potential to be the best medium for story telling by allowing the player to mold it and truly see it through their eyes. It's sad to me that I don't think video game story telling has come a long way in the nearly 20 years since SH2 released but at least the frequency of games embracing ludo-narratives is increasing.

Also shout outs to SOMA for coming close in a unique way.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Most recent: Disco Elysium.

The writing is just outstanding. It incorporates so much random stuff and yet it all acts as a coherent whole.

zv0ja24w9w251.jpg

My favourite: Kotor 2

The writing is just outstanding. It is a demythologization of the Force and it does a damn good job of it. Kreia is one of the most interesting characters written, the villains are intimidating and interesting, and your companions themselves are interesting. The worldbuilding is interesting. It is all the best parts of Star Wars.

4296744-kreia%20farsight%20%2830%29.png