• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like Borderlands or anything associated with it, but yes, you are just being paranoid. It's a game renowned for its cooperative play so it makes sense that you would see one of the most common cooperative pairings, a couple, rather well represented in the fandom.

Embarrassing thread, and ironic given what half the threads on this forum are.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
This thread is embarrassing.

The first link is from a poster with TONS of previous content not related to videogames, including handcrafts.

The second link is from a poster also with tons of previous content not related to videogames, including art. This person even talks about gaming with their wife in previous postings.

Jesus fuck. It's really not that hard to imagine a couple playing an anticipated co-op game together, is it?
It's threads like this that keep the #Gamer stereotype of being a lonely, single basement dwelling virgin alive and well.

brb, mom is bringing me pop tarts

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I think the damning thing is that if something brings nothing to the table and is entirely indistinguishable from an ad, why should it exist anyway?

This thread is embarrassing.

The first link is from a poster with TONS of previous content not related to videogames, including handcrafts.

The second link is from a poster also with tons of previous content not related to videogames, including art. This person even talks about gaming with their wife in previous postings.

Jesus fuck.
These kinds of accounts can be (and have been) bought, faked, you name it. A cursory glance at the post history means nothing. It's an epidemic on Reddit, not some tin foil hat nonsense.

Edit: And this "why would anyone ever fake something like this, lonely losers lmao" all over this thread is one of the reasons it's so rampant.

Last edited:

mcfizzle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My wife and I bought the original Borderlands after reading a gaming mag article about a husband and wife excited to play together. To this day Borderlands 1 and 2 are the only games we've actually played Co-op together besides Don't Starve together. We played the first until like 2 am every night and platinumed it together. We enjoyed 2 but never actually beat it. We're not planning to buy 3 but she did consider it for a second when I told her it comes out this week. So I could see how these posts could be real.

Edit: we played on a PS3 with a 55" in vertical mode, lol.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are some of you perplexed/annoyed by the idea of real life interactions/playing games with your SO/having an SO? Is that what we've come to

Let people have their fun, and if you are jealous then put yourself out there and maybe you'll find a gaming SO as well

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
I think the damning thing is that if something brings nothing to the table and is entirely indistinguishable from an ad, why should it exist anyway?

These kinds of accounts can be (and have been) bought, faked, you name it. A cursory glance at the post history means nothing. It's an epidemic on Reddit, not some tin foil hat nonsense.

Edit: And this "why would anyone ever fake something like this, lonely losers lmao" all over this thread is one of the reasons it's so rampant.

Holy shit ur post is embarrassing... maybe people enjoy things with actual real life interaction???

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Don't forget classic 1st post makes ton of karma, wave of copycats to take advantage/realize people wanna see this stuff. Nothing surprising, could be astroturfing, could be homegrown.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully you dont find the threads where people post the food they are eating with their games or shows they are watching.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea some people have in this thread that gamers need to be paid in order to do this sort of thing and be performative about their fandom is hilarious. Have you seen this general fandom. Some people treat this stuff like they're spreading the gospel.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Go to something like PAX, there are tons of gaming couples. My wife and I play Borderlands together and if we had a cool setup she'd probably post it on her IG.

And yeah, get this, it's for attention. Oh no, people having fun and socializing online about it!

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Era this weekend is on a roll of depressing levels of jadedness.

Rough out there -- I get it... But gotdamn some of y'all could use a hand.

I genuinely feel like the responses in here are bordering on incel frame of mind about loneliness and how relationships work.

"Oh look, a couple choosing to bond over a new coop videogame release! This could never happen for me, this must be fake!"

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
You can be cynical or paranoid about it if you want but I don't think that's helping anybody. It's just how reddit has always been. If one post about playing Borderlands with a spouse got popular then it becomes a template for similar posts. And it likely started on the Borderlands subreddit but people love upvotes so they go to bigger subreddits to get more attention. One of the OP's you linked to has been replying to comments about the furniture in their pic and they've been praising Ikea. I guess they're a shill for Ikea now too, lol. Not saying it can't happen but it's probably not healthy to just assume the worst in everything. It's not like these posts are out of left field. I see people talking about how they play Borderlands with their partner all over the internet, including here. Of course it would manifest on reddit.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The people acusing benign posters of turfing probably need to take a break from forums for a bit. They're the last place on earth where it's still considered normal to get excited about games and I don't want cynicism to ruin that too.

Pangorogoro

Oct 31, 2017
Me and my fiancee were long distance for 5 years; games like Borderlands with co-op we could play as "dates" were the most fun. I think it's cute that people get excited to play with their SO where they make little setups.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
That's it?

I feel like I've seen much worse (or more endearing). People like to share their enjoyment of games, what else is new? At least it isn't
dkush40.jpg
What's in the large plastic containers?

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Era this weekend is on a roll of depressing levels of jadedness.

Rough out there -- I get it... But gotdamn some of y'all could use a hand.

I genuinely feel like the responses in here are bordering on incel frame of mind about loneliness and how relationships work.

"Oh look, a couple choosing to bond over a new coop videogame release! This could never happen for me, this must be fake!"

The level of Jadedness I've been seeing the past couple of days in a variety of subjects has been pretty disappointing. For a site where people usually discuss thing they are really into or excited about it's tiring to see people be so angry all the time.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I see those photos and think it's great they are excited about the game and want to show that to other people. I guess you could be side eying every post that has a chance of being an Ad but I just dont see the point in it myself.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This forum has "hype" checks, guessing metacritic averages, and "when did you believe in _____".

Those are all a lot weirder than this.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
My wife and I had a similar setup for years for WoW and other games before we had kids. Many couples we know that game have similar setups.

Sometimes things are genuine. Shocking, I know.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit ur post is embarrassing... maybe people enjoy things with actual real life interaction???
What is the actual real life interaction? Reddit upvotes? I just don't see the point of these. The utter indistinguishability from astroturfing just underlines the banality.

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about couch coop itself, but posting it to Reddit for karma.

Strakt

Oct 27, 2017
What is the actual real life interaction? Reddit upvotes? I just don't see the point of these. The utter indistinguishability from astroturfing just underlines the banality.

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about couch coop itself, but posting it to Reddit for karma.

Reddits a form of social media.. who cares? Do you also call people out for posting pics on instagram for "likes"

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Reddits a form of social media.. who cares? Do you also call people out for posting pics on instagram for "likes"
No? I also don't "call out people" for this. I just came to this thread to point out that companies do in fact advertise in this fashion since it's so full of "why would anyone ever" and "lul some people have lives you know".

I also find the genuine posts pointless, but you do you. I just keep scrolling when I come across stuff like that on Reddit.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
My SO doesn't like video games and thinks no one else our age plays them.

I personally think the other ladies are all lying about it because none of them understand it and think their husband's are the only ones.

At these margins and sell through its gotta be more mainstream than ever before.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't really see how these are any more advertisement's than some of the official threads on here which look like they've been made straight by the publisher.

These kind of photos have been going on since at least Q3 /UT99 times and probably before.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
My wife and I have been playing together in the same room too. We played all of bl1 and 2 together this year.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Are some of you perplexed/annoyed by the idea of real life interactions/playing games with your SO/having an SO? Is that what we've come to

Let people have their fun, and if you are jealous then put yourself out there and maybe you'll find a gaming SO as well
No I'm not, but I assume most of those people are not weirdos that go spamming their 'setup' on a fucking subreddit. Normal people don't do that so It's safe to assume it's an advertisement, like almost everything else on reddit. Just for kicks I asked my cousin if she and her husband are going to post an image of the whole setup they have for when they play BL3 together. She said "no, why the fuck would I do that?" And that's a great question, why would you do that? It's either an advertisement or it's the kind of people I hate, self-important cunts.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i dont know about crafted world, but Yoshi's Wholly World was one of the worst co-op experiences of my life, the camera mechanics and stuff seemed straight up amateur

the game was clearly not designed to be played like that, it was a mess

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit surprised on some of the comments here because I didn't imply that couples don't play games together, of course they do, I do it all the time. My post was about how, well, convenient and staged the posts and the top comments are. I have seen this before with other games and brands that are not game related, but this one bothered because of the way the comments were worded on the posts.

"Is this real?" is not because couples play it (But now I realize the title could be interpreted that way), is because of the way the posts are framed that look like they are staged and wanted an opinion on that.

i dont know about crafted world, but Yoshi's Wholly World was one of the worst co-op experiences of my life, the camera mechanics and stuff seemed straight up amateur
I think crafted world is a bit weak as a Single player game, but it's really good as a co-op game because it has a ton of hidden collectables that make communication really fun and some of the harder stuff to get seems to be made with co-op in mind.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
"We don't have kids, this is just for us"

You mean adults play video games? Get the fuck outta here! Why would someone think it was for kids if it involved Borderlands 3, anyway?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
that pillow fort thing is way too sloppy to be an ad. who is gonna try and emulate that?

the well lit computer setups could be ads though. can never tell.