• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where is your hype level with Starfield after seeing the gameplay?

• Super hyped. Cant wait!

Votes: 502 22.3%
  • Look forward to playing it when it releases but not super excited

Votes: 804 35.7%
  • Not hyped at all

Votes: 944 42.0%

• Total voters

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I enjoyed Fallout 4 and want Starfield to be as good as possible. I am excited and hyped, but I don't expect a 10/10 masterpiece.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Honestly, kinda next to none. I need to see what modders do with it because it basically just feels like a Bethesda game but scaled up to an absolutely insane degree, and Bethesda games were never lacking in scale. Making them way larger without improving the quality of the gameplay feels like the opposite of what I would want.
You don't miss. This is exactly how I feel, lol. Like, yeah, Starfield looks like Bethesda's biggest game yet but as someone who's never loved Bethesda games, it didn't really sell me on also trying to be better than previous Bethesda games (gameplan wise). The game looks fun and looks like a pretty neat concept but it also seems like a game I'd get bored of sooner rather later. Plus, like most people, I don't play Bethesda games without modding them so there's no point in me rushing into playing the game because without super cool mods or QOL mods that are absolutely needed for the sake of the game's performance (as you mentioned). So I'm just kinda meh on it, really.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Really disappointed that we don't get to fully explore Jerry's apartment and it's just limited to a pre-rendered cutscene. Also, Elaine should have been playable.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I'm curious that's for sure. Was not as hyped as I used to be, but day 1 GP, you can't beat that.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Did I miss anything? Was there a new demo that showed actually interesting stuff? Did a quick search on YT but came up empty.
Or are people still talking about the E3 trailer? Because that trailer gave nothing to hype for.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The gameplay is pretty much exactly what I expected, which is to say I'm still moderately interested in playing it. Bethesda's games -- especially their recent output -- are not my favorite type of RPG, but they are still big dumb fun.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
The gameplay looked so mediocre that I really I have no interest. But if there is great narrative and quest design then it could be worth checking out eventually.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
User banned (1 month): Platform wars. Multiple prior bans for platform wars.
A new IP from one of the most prominent studios in the industry coming off two game of the years on their last 2 releases, in my favorite genre.

Yeah im fuckin excited.

If you aren't hyped at all, like zero, you either don't like rpgs, don't like any rpg that isn't Japanese, or are a really salty playstation player who doesn't have/refuses access too any part of the pc/xbox platform.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Love the concept but not super hyped, and not even because of the way the game looks. I wanted to get into Bethesda games more so I tried Fallout 4 and can't play the game without getting nauseous and I have no idea what it is. Now I'm worried I'll have the same feeling playing Starfield. Sucks

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
gameplay trailer worked for me, i was about what i thought it would be.
also good way to manage expectations, people go bonkers with these stuff when left to their own imagination.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The gameplay itself looks serviceable – but that's not exactly the most compelling part of many RPGs anyway. Honestly, I can't think of many I played because I enjoyed engaging with the combat mechanics. It's always about the writing for me. Is there a compelling story with engaging characters to draw me forward, giving me a reason to engage with the gameplay?

In Skyrim the answer was a resounding yes. In Fallout 3 the answer was a much weaker yes, and by Fallout 4 it seemed Bethesda had largely given up on writing a cohesive story and just wanted to hand me a sandbox with the thinnest veneer of an excuse to play. Nothing I saw in Starfield's presentations so far convinced me that they've changed their approach significantly. If anything, the "1000 planets" message seemed to solidly reinforce the idea that this wasn't going to be a tightly scripted narrative at all: that they were going for quantity of game over quality of game. So I'll hold off and wait for impressions after the initial surge of reviews (which were wildly positive in Fallout 4's case - it wasn't until a week or two later that people started to point out the reasons the game didn't gel with me.)

SnipeyMcGee

Jul 1, 2020
It was a little disappointing to see it in action. I just expected more. Happy to play a big Bethesda RPG that's rolled into my existing Game Pass sub, but if it wasn't for that, I'd be almost completely tuned out.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
The only game I think I'm looking forward to. Not super excited as I manage my expectations. I'm not even going to buy it day one until I get enough confirmation that it isn't completely broken or bad and works on linux/deck.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Never been a fan of the Bethesda jank, and this looks to be a shinier version of it. If it's good, great, I'll try it out on GamePass. If not, no big deal for me. The gameplay trailer looked rough, so I'm not very confident.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty hyped. I'm especially excited to see what mods can do with the Starfield engine. Hopefully they release the CK for it quickly after launch.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It looks like more of all the aspects of Fallout 4 I did not enjoy coupled with the usual Bethesda jank (bad frame-rate)

If it's on Game Pass I'll try when I can. If there's cool mods I'll follow along closely, but I don't see myself buying it anywhere close to launch.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I've just never been a Bethesda guy and I've seen nothing from Starfield that makes me think it'll change my mind.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Still day 1, but I won't lie, I'm more hyped for modded Starfield.

But yeah, will play asap.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'll definitely be playing it when it comes out like all BGS games but I turned down my expectations after their showcase. Should be a good time though.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Extremely hyped. Looks like the game I've always wanted since the first Mass Effect.

It's also nice to see that it's bringing back deeper RPG elements.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the same old Bethesda RPG gameplay loop, with some long-established space-sim mechanics grafted on top. Maybe that and the setting can save it, but it's certainly not at the top of my list. Furthermore, nothing I've seen makes it seem like it won't be better to wait for the modding community to have a year to fix what will no doubt be a myriad of problems with it anyway if it follows the usual cycle.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Still crazy hyped for Skyrim in space. Gonna love it and play hundreds of hours no doubt.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm interested, I'm sure I'm gonna love it but I'm not dying for it right now. Honestly, it's hard for me to get too excited about games that are coming in more than a few months.

Besides, I'm currently playing No Man's sky so I have my space fix already.

OP
OP
Toriko

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
A new IP from one of the most prominent studios in the industry coming off two game of the years on their last 2 releases, in my favorite genre.

Yeah im fuckin excited.

If you aren't hyped at all, like zero, you either don't like rpgs, don't like any rpg that isn't Japanese, or are a really salty playstation player who doesn't have/refuses access too any part of the pc/xbox platform.

Come on now. There are plenty of people who can be into non Japanese RPGs without vibing with Bethesda's games. People can be into Witcher, ME,Dragon Age,Disco Elysium etcc just from recent gen and not like games like Fallout 4. People might be into good writing in their RPGS which Bethesda games are anything but in recent past

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Come on now. There are plenty of people who can be into non Japanese RPGs without vibing with Bethesda's games. People can be into Witcher, ME,Dragon Age,Disco Elysium etcc just from recent gen and not like games like Fallout 4. People might be into good writing in their RPGS which Bethesda games are anything but in recent past
Sure but to have zero excitement at all? I highly doubt someone who plays those listed games would be at zero is all im saying. Even not being high on Bethesda, I totally get, but again this is a new ip from a studio who helped forge the genre as we know it today so to completely dismiss that by saying you dont care at all while also loving games like Mass Effect or Witcher is just a bit much. Plus they would also have to not be excited about exploring space which again the audience crossover of rpg player and space lovers has to be huge.

q4core

Feb 26, 2021
DMV
I'll probably forget about it until it gets closer to release date, but I'm sure my hype will start building itself back up again. It was more intriguing when it was unknown quantity, but now that we know it's an evolution of ES and FO I think it'll be a really solid game.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
All I ask is that it is as good as their other work and doesn't fall apart on launch day. Very mild expectations but it will likely still be tons of fun.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
LOL at the poll numbers. Definitely what I expected for this particular forum space.

First Bethesda RPG in years. Next-gen with mod support set in space. Hyped completely. I need more RPG in my life.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I'll pay full price on steam for whatever digital deluxe edition they might have.

I'm hyped, but its still a long way off so its mostly in the back of my mind. I won't really start paying attention until much closer to actual release.

my forever game is TWWH and WH3: Immortal Empires is out in less than a month and will easily occupy my time until Starfield, and for a long time

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm relatively hyped. There's no baggage or expectations there like with FO or even TES. FO4 was a solid enough game in terms of an open world RPG, but it just felt so shallow as a FO game and how it developed and represented that world.

But Starfield is fresh ground. It will be whatever they want it to be and so long as the gameplay is fun and it's an interesting world to explore I'm pretty much down for whatever. While not high art, Bethesda games are very easy to play and very addictive. They're top tier time wasters in the best sense. Despite massive issues with FO4 as a FO game I still put in like 200+ hours into it across several playthroughs and modding it all over.

Oct 30, 2017
I feel pretty comfortable not touching this one.

I think it could be a pretty good game one day with mods and updates. But I don't really think skipping this one is really going to be a big deal to me.

The Bethesda jank was also something that I was fine with when playing Skyrim 10+ years ago. It's not something I'm crazy to experience anymore.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
It looks like Fallout 4 but with actual roleplaying. As long as there's a lot of actual handmade content and you can ignore the empty procgen planets, I'm hyped af.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Ask again when the game's coming out. I don't get hyped about things that are nine months away. There's too many other things coming out between now and then to get hyped over.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly excited. It's Bethesda's best chance to try some new stuff and win back hearts and minds after two middling-to-bad releases. Doubt it'll be as good, but hopefully it'll be better than Fallout 4. The non-voiced protagonist is a breath of fresh air, though I know that'll stir up some controversy at release.

Oct 28, 2017
Very hyped overall.

The only thing that doesn't sit well for me is the "1000 planets" thing. It makes me worried that things are going to get spread really thin. I know that they want the game to feel vast, and that they will have some more dense planets and zones and some that are more barren, but to me it's not the selling point they seem to think it is. I think that 10 planets could feel vast if they're unique and dense and full of secrets.

I also really wish they could get with the times as far as animation goes (especially NPC animations). But that's not a deal breaker.