• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
OP's pizza honestly reminds me of this Georgian restaurant we have here in Seattle called Skalka. They're not pizzas, but it's similar enough and they're very delicious.

best-breakfast-khachapuri.jpg
What's the deal with the weird horn/handlebar things on the sides?

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It's a fucking struggle up here to just get olives on a pizza within my social circle. America is trying to force me to die of heart disease.
There's a place near my house that makes a "Popeye Pizza"

It's olive oil and tomato sauce with light mozzerlla, spinach, black olives, ricotta and garlic.

Absolutely divine and I can't get anybody to in with me on one.

Oct 25, 2017

The square box leaves room in the corners for sauce containers and packets of cheese and peppers

I'm 100% here for this thread derail. Anyways a lot of ya'll haven't had enough shitty pizzas in your life and it shows. The only thing I find outrageous about it is the three (only three???) slices of what I can only hope are olives.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's a fucking struggle up here to just get olives on a pizza within my social circle. America is trying to force me to die of heart disease.

Ordering a pizza in a group is always hard.

Though usually most places have deals for a 3 topping pizza, and its pretty common at least in my groups to get pepperoni or sausage plus 2 veggies.

The irony here is that people shit-talking Brazilian pizza probably don't even eat good American cuisine in general.

I mean, look at how many people are disparaging beans, peas, and boiled eggs. Gonna keel over at 45.

There's nothing wrong with these ingredients, but I don't want them on my pizza.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's a place near my house that makes a "Popeye Pizza"

It's olive oil and tomato sauce with light mozzerlla, spinach, black olives, ricotta and garlic.

Absolutely divine and I can't get anybody to in with me on one.
Yoooo I would totally be down for that. Sounds divine.

Ordering a pizza in a group is always hard.

Though usually most places have deals for a 3 topping pizza, and its pretty common at least in my groups to get pepperoni or sausage plus 2 veggies.
I have defaulted to just going with the flow because my friend circle doesn't want/actively dislikes a lot of the toppings I do. Whatever people in the group want is what I go with, which is usually a pepperoni or meat lovers. I'm not too picky though; I can eat those pizzas too and still enjoy myself. Ergo, everyone is happy.

But if I'm getting my own personal pizza, olives and mushrooms at a minimum are going on there along with the pepperoni.
There's nothing wrong with these ingredients, but I don't want them on my pizza.
Be honest: have you even ever tried such pizzas? To me, there's nothing about those ingredients that sound actively bad as toppings. There is no measurable difference between mushrooms and olives, and peas and beans. They're all culinary vegetables.

Last edited:

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
The pizza compartment in pizza boxes in America haven't been square since, what, the 80s? 90s? Every place I order has boxes with 2 or 4 diagonal walls that come up and make the inside octagonal, with the tops and bottoms square.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Be honest: have you even ever tried such pizzas? To me, there's nothing about those ingredients that sound actively bad as toppings. There is no measurable difference between mushrooms and olives, and peas and beans. They're all culinary vegetables.

Its not that I think those style pizzas are inedible, but its not at all what I want from a pizza. I'll eat it if its there and free, but I'd never order it. Same could be said of any of the more common variants like barbeque chicken, margherita, or mediterranean pizza.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
My local pizza place makes square pizzas so they fill the box so no wasted space and more pizza.

Square pizza > Round pizza

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Its not that I think those style pizzas are inedible, but its not at all what I want from a pizza. I'll eat it if its there and free, but I'd never order it. Same could be said of any of the more common variants like barbeque chicken, margherita, or mediterranean pizza.
That's fair..... even though all of those are good too. xD

Square pizza > Round pizza
Lies. You don't get crust on every piece.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Buddy's Pizza (supposed originator of Detroit Style) uses rectangular boxes that fit their 8 square:

photo0jpg.jpg

Elegant, delicious pizza and packaging.

I imagine this video is not a good representation of pizza in Brazil, as others (OP included) have noted.

That being said, every time I watch this video, I find something new that would potentially end my life if I were to eat this pizza. The latest of which is at 2:20 in the video, and there is very clearly a layer of fucking dust being picked up by the pizza on the bottom. That's just straight up scary as an immunocompromised person.

vivaldi_20856ake5.png

Honestly, it's rather impressive just how quickly that whole video goes off the rails. Starts with the guy doing a decent enough job of forming the dough, then the whole cascade of WTFs kicks off when he tears a hole in it with the toss and tries to repair it before the neon orange sauce and giant pile of...I HOPE... shredded chicken goes on. Most of the video is just it cooking and it really should be the one time no new eyebrow raisers should occur but NOPE.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Obviously because it's easier to make.

Easier to make square boxes. Easier to make round pizza. Not that you can't make rectangular pizzas but it's just much easier to do circles. And the boxes just require less effort to put together.

Mar 19, 2021
Also not every round pizza is the same size and / or has some deformities (Italian pizzas at least) so that box just wouldn't work

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, your opinion was invalidated the moment you posted that abomination of a "pizza".

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
It's just facts. There's nothing IggyChooChoo can do about it.
I think you've probably been drinking straight from the TietĂŞ with an opinion like that.

Seriously though, I just had mediocre pizza in Rio and really great pizza in SĂŁo Paulo. But it does bum me out to see Brazil's fine Italian food get shit on. I can't think of any country where I've had better Italian food, frankly.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think you've probably been drinking straight from the TietĂŞ with an opinion like that.

Seriously though, I just had mediocre pizza in Rio and really great pizza in SĂŁo Paulo. But it does bum me out to see Brazil's fine Italian food get shit on. I can't think of any country where I've had better Italian food, frankly.
It seems like spaghetti is surprisingly common down there, so I wouldn't put it past you all to have good Italian either.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Laughing at many (I assume Americans) people not recognising fucking olives or the basic ingredients for a good Italian pizza. Like I'll go for strange combinations myself but disparaging common topping combinations…come on.

And dipping sauce? If you need that then you're eating a shit pizza.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Boiled eggs on a pizza 🤮

The fuck are you doing lol

And dipping sauce? If you need that then you're eating a shit pizza.

Agree with this 100%. I don't even know what the fuck they're talking about. If you mean ranch, you're gross. If you mean anything else, I honestly can't even guess what it is.

uuddrlrl

May 30, 2021
And here I thought OP would be posting about round boxes, instead of an 8-bit polygonal representation of them.

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
Other than being hard to fold, it also looks hard to put the pizza in the box, and take the pizza out of the box.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Are octagonal pizza boxes a regional thing in Brazil? I also see quite a few examples from Brazil of the holy grail of pizza boxes: round.

215270613_316350696823281_2179941960179199344_n.jpg

Nah come on, as I said before I don't know how you all boil your eggs but down here they literally have no smell and the taste is mild enough that it blends perfectly with the rest of the ingredients. It's a must for famous flavours like Portuguesa, it's pretty much what it ties all together
Overcooking hard-boiled eggs results in a reaction between iron and sulfur in the egg, which leads to a greenish outer layer on the yolk and a smell associated with rotten eggs. Perfectly cooked boiled eggs have no smell and taste mild as you said. Sounds to me like the haters have never had a properly cooked boiled egg (which, to be fair, was also me up until a few years ago lol).

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
OP's pizza looks great to me. I haven't tried egg on pizza before but it sounds yum.
I will enjoy refried beans, corn, spinach, asparagus, pine nuts, olives, etc. on pizza, as well as more traditional slices.

I get whole Kalamata olives on pizza pretty regularly, generally 1 per slice, and they're one of the best parts of the slice. obviously they don't go well with every topping combination but they can be delicious.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Why are the toppings of OP's pizza divided into thirds? Why are there olives on the pizza? Why is there *egg fucking salad* on the pizza? Oh my god. What the hell reality did I step into?