• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I used to fold pizza boxes en masse. It would take soooo long to fold that octagonal box compared to the mere seconds it takes to fold a square one to shape. :O
This. I had a short stint at Papa John's years ago, and when you're faced with a stack of flat boxes that's several feet high, you need to get through them as fast as possible. Square boxes have fewer folds, and thus it'll be easier for the worker on the ground to churn them out versus an octagonal box.

Also, you can tell who the basic ass bitches are in this thread who are balking at beans on pizza.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. And it's funny because all stand-alone Pizza restaurants (which are the best pizzas and are like the 95% of the Pizza restaurants in Brazil) here use the same octagon shaped.

But then you got Pizza Huts and Domino's here which are part of a bigger chain and they all use the familiar square shaped box.

Nah, that makes PERFECT sense to me. Because the pizza chains have a central manufacturer that make their boxes. It's the local/indie chains who would buy directly from a manufacturer, so it makes perfect sense that the big box companies all use their standard designs and all the local joints use the octagon design because they'd be the ones sourcing from the local manufacturer.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
You think a square box is bad? Take a look at this bad boy:

2f387e85216143.Y3JvcCwyODYyLDIyMzksODIxLDM4Mg.jpg

PICK A SIDE, DOMINOS.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Disregarding the toppings, what sort of monster orders a pizza split up in thirds?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As always, thread filled with cowards not worthy of the glory that is Brazilian cuisine.

On topic, I've had several pizzas in brasil that came in square boxes OP.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This thread's replies makes me think that:

Square is for the capitalistic, profit maximizers, make-them-as-fast-as-you-can pizza makers

Octagonal is for the Pizza as art form makers.

(I've never seen an octagonal one in my life before)

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I'd imagine it's for keeping the bases neat and tidy. It's why shipping boxes are square. The corners lock into each other nicely and make it easier for new recruits to maintain.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that makes PERFECT sense to me. Because the pizza chains have a central manufacturer that make their boxes. It's the local/indie chains who would buy directly from a manufacturer, so it makes perfect sense that the big box companies all use their standard designs and all the local joints use the octagon design because they'd be the ones sourcing from the local manufacturer.
Well, when you put it that way, it makes perfect sense. It's just a difference that had me thinking while I was carrying my Pizza the elevator last night and forgot to make a thread about it.

This. I had a short stint at Papa John's years ago, and when you're faced with a stack of flat boxes that's several feet high, you need to get through them as fast as possible. Square boxes have fewer folds, and thus it'll be easier for the worker on the ground to churn them out versus an octagonal box.
I'm no Pizza restaurant worker but from what I gather they store the Pizza boxes already unfolded, so they literally just churn the Pizza on the box, put the lid on, and bam delivery.

Also, you can tell who the basic ass bitches are in this thread who are balking at beans on pizza.
Preach!

Now I'm wondering how many sides a Big Mac box has in Brazil.
Brazilian McDonalds is pretty basic run of the corporate chain mill, not sure if it's any difference from the northern hemisphere counterpart:

3d5203cae69c4001196fe541ba47322e-gpLarge.jpg

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Why would that be wrong if you've got that many people who want different toppings to themselves?

Seeing now that the pizza in question was cut into 12 slices, I retract my complaint. I was imagining a standard 8 slice being split into thirds, and that would be madness.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disregarding the toppings, what sort of monster orders a pizza split up in thirds?
That's pretty common here. We have the standard 8 slices and the big 12 slices, 3 flavours requires 12 slices

In my case I had my parents come over and my mom doesn't like Pepperoni, so she would prefer Mozzarella and Refugio, while me and my dad went with Pepperoni and Refugio.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
This pizza is amazing for 2 reasons.

1. The hardboiled eggs will completely overwhelm every other flavor in every other slice. Kind of like green peppers do, but a thousand times stronger. It must smell like death.
2. Folding the octagonal box took so much time that none was left to slice up the olives.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty common here. We have the standard 8 slices and the big 12 slices, 3 flavours requires 12 slices

In my case I had my parents come over and my mom doesn't like Pepperoni, so she would prefer Mozzarella and Refugio, while me and my dad went with Pepperoni and Refugio.

I wish they would cut them in 12 here. It's such a beautiful number. Plus, more slices!

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm no Pizza restaurant worker but from what I gather they store the Pizza boxes already unfolded, so they literally just churn the Pizza on the box, put the lid on, and bam delivery.
It's very different here in a chain. The boxes are delivered as these big flat sheets of cardboard that are scored and tabbed at various points. You need to literally fold it back into the rectangle, and secure those folds with the tabs so that it can actually serve as a container. We can't just put the pizza into a box and top it off.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would cut them in 12 here. It's such a beautiful number. Plus, more slices!
We even have the 4 slice version of a Pizza for a single person! Although I think that's more common elsewhere

Brazilian pizza (or at least, São Paulo pizza) is genuinely great and deserves better than this guy as it's ambassador.
Yeah, that video is wild even for us brazilians, but it's a shame the first thing people think of when we talk about brazilian pizzas, because they are truly great.
1. The hardboiled eggs will completely overwhelm every other flavor in every other slice. Kind of like green peppers do, but a thousand times stronger. It must smell like death.
I literally could not smell the egg. I don't know how you guys boil your eggs but I don't think it's supposed to smell? And the taste is relatively mild. I think something is different with how we do our boiled eggs.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, Brazil really seems to have the worst Pizza in the world.

My sympathies, OP.

mute

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Does it actually save that much on cardboard? Lots of folds seems to negate/reduce material saved.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I rather have a good pizza inside a dumb box than the pizza you posted inside a perfect box

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This would be the thread to relay when, a few weeks ago, I got bored on my work break and drove to my local farmer's market. Hadn't ever been in one before so I was curious what it offered. I also wanted to support it so I wanted something to take home. And I had a thought.

CATUPIRY CHEESE.

THE HOLY GRAIL (as far as I've heard, I've never tried it BUT NOW WOULD BE THE TIME).

SURELY THEY MUST HAVE SOME.

So I sauntered like half a mile towards the opposite end of where I came in to the meat and dairy section. They had the main cheese section divided only by European countries. Hmm. I look over to the stand up coolers on the perimeter. Cheeses from other places! I browse them all, from end to end. Then I think maybe this is a mistake. So I go back through again.

Nothing from Brazil, or even Portugal. Which meant, no catupiry for me.

Let me tell you I've never felt more disappointed in my life.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I rather have a good pizza inside a dumb box than the pizza you posted inside a perfect box
Nah, that pizza was perfection. Perfectly tasted Mozzarela, with Pepperoni that explodes in your mouth in flavour, with a crumb that will not break your teeth while you eat it. It was just perfection.

Refugio flavour did not taste it very much since that was more on my parents. I would personally change that with Chicken + Catupiry which is truly our holy grail

This would be the thread to relay when, a few weeks ago, I got bored on my work break and drove to my local farmer's market. Hadn't ever been in one before so I was curious what it offered. I also wanted to support it so I wanted something to take home. And I had a thought.

CATUPIRY CHEESE.

THE HOLY GRAIL (as far as I've heard, I've never tried it BUT NOW WOULD BE THE TIME).

SURELY THEY MUST HAVE SOME.

So I sauntered like half a mile towards the opposite end of where I came in to the meat and dairy section. They had the main cheese section divided only by European countries. Hmm. I look over to the stand up coolers on the perimeter. Cheeses from other places! I browse them all, from end to end. Then I think maybe this is a mistake. So I go back through again.

Nothing from Brazil, or even Portugal. Which meant, no catupiry for me.

Let me tell you I've never felt more disappointed in my life.

Oh my, I feel so sorry for you Nepenthe, if only cheese wouldn't go bad in just a few days out of the fridge I would order some for you. Make sure to not miss out on any Pizza flavour with Catupiry whenever you have the opportunity.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
The place I got pizza from last night (HotBox) puts a small handful of Tootsie rolls in one of the corners. They get warm and soft in there. 🤤

It's like the best thing in the world when a company puts a piece of candy in the box. There was a company we used to order parts from that would throw one of those See's Candies lollipops in the box and it was pavloving me like crazy to order from them again.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my, I feel so sorry for you Nepenthe, if only cheese wouldn't go bad in just a few days out of the fridge I would order some for you. Make sure to not miss out on any Pizza flavour with Catupiry whenever you have the opportunity.
That farmer's market is half an hour from my house, btw. Gas is almost $5 a gallon. 😭

Now I've had pão de queijo before; is that flavored with catupiry? Regardless, I will definitely be on the lookout for actual pizza made with it around here!

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
It's like the best thing in the world when a company puts a piece of candy in the box. There was a company we used to order parts from that would throw one of those See's Candies lollipops in the box and it was pavloving me like crazy to order from them again.
lol agreed

If you ever find yourself in need of an instant-read thermometer or other cooking thermometers, the fine folks at ThermoWorks have thrown in a small bag of Jelly Belly jellybeans every time I've ordered something from them.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
I would have to be near death to consider eating a pizza with eggs on it. Even then, I think I'd just die.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That farmer's market is half an hour from my house, btw. Gas is almost $5 a gallon. 😭

Now I've had pão de queijo before; is that flavored with catupiry? Regardless, I will definitely be on the lookout for actual pizza made with it around here!
Nope, pão de queijo, while godly, doesn't have Catupiry on it. Although it's possible to find Catupiry in some Coxinhas but that's uncommon.

A 3 x 1/3rd Pizza? Just make up your damn mind man!
That's a 12 slice pizza, 2-3 slices from this restaurant is enough for an adult here (although sometimes I go overboard and eat 4). When you have people coming over it's hard to compromise on a single or 2 flavours :(

Oct 28, 2017
i was expecting better but got sideblinded by pizza with fucking boiled eggs but whatever i guess, like others explained it is probably cheaper and easy to store square boxes than the one in the op

personally im fine with either but i cant recall a box like that used on my pizza tbh... i think little ceasars did?