• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your favorite dipping sauce?

• Bbq sauce

Votes: 286 37.6%
  • Tzatziki

Votes: 33 4.3%
  • Ketchup

Votes: 67 8.8%
  • Dijon mustard

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • Hot sauce

Votes: 113 14.9%
  • Cheese dip

Votes: 49 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 178 23.4%

• Total voters

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
They're all good, but I still chose "other" because my top 3 aren't even on the list.

They are:
  • Blue cheese sauce
  • Honey mustard
  • Gravy

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever that mystical "restaurant ranch" is, that any restaurant has when you ask for ranch, but nothing you can buy off the shelf tastes anywhere close.
I've even tried to make it myself, because everyone says that's the trick, but I only successfully made something that tasted like the bottled stuff, which is pretty meh by comparison. I still don't know what the secret to "restaurant ranch" is.

Right below that I'd put whatever the "campfire" sauce is from Red Robin. I'm pretty sure it's a barbecue sauce/mayo mixture but I don't know the ratio.

Probably honey mustard below that.

Below that I stop counting. Ketchup is fine, I guess. Cheese dip (if by that we mean "queso") is god-tier but pretty much limited to "Mexican" food.

The others in the poll are good or even great as condiments, but I've hardly or never used them as dipping sauces, so I can't rank them.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sauceweb.jpg

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Voted BBQ, not because it's my favorite overall but it's the most common one I use. Fries and a good BBQ is god tier.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Depends on what I'm eating, but one of my favorite dipping sauces is one that I mix myself:

- 2 Parts Shoyu
- 1 Part Sesame Oil
- 1 Part Mirin
- 1 Part Rice Vinegar
- 1 Part Gochujang
- Sprinkling of Fresh Scallion Greens

Also works great as a marinade - especially shrimp. Though be warned, don't let the shrimp sit for longer than a couple hours or the acid will fuck up the texture and make it taste rubbery.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
The ranch from Outback Steakhouse is off the hook.

Nah, if you get anything from there it should be the honey mustard. Although mixing their honey mustard and ranch is very good, too. Still peeved they got rid of the Queensland salad I'd do that with, but then they had to close up shop here when they couldn't afford the rent. I like to pretend that's why, even though I really miss having one around in general.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only crap choices though ;) (tzatziki is 'ok')
And yes, sugary BBQ kind is amongst the worst.

Blackened Ranch at Popeyes is kinda nice, but the true king (for fries) is mayo.
Or spicy mayo in its many incarnations.

So yeah, Spicy Mayo.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Supercharged Sauce, aka Finger-Lickin' sauce in not Australia. This copycat recipe is just better though.

That being said, I love me a good BBQ/Mayo mix. Especially Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
What are yall dipping into these sauces?

I find Papa John's gross so the only thing we dip at our house is probably nuggets and fries and pita.

For pita it's hummus or tsatziki. For fries we generally use ketchup. And only the kids eat nuggets and I prefer sweet and sour they like ketchup or BBQ.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Depends on what I'm eating, but one of my favorite dipping sauces is one that I mix myself:

- 2 Parts Shoyu
- 1 Part Sesame Oil
- 1 Part Mirin
- 1 Part Rice Vinegar
- 1 Part Gochujang
- Sprinkling of Fresh Scallion Greens

Also works great as a marinade - especially shrimp. Though be warned, don't let the shrimp sit for longer than a couple hours or the acid will fuck up the texture and make it taste rubbery.
Sambal oelek all day every day
Heroes the lot of you.

Want to add Ssamjang to this list too.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Lets at least all agree that each of these 3 dips are awful abominations.

Mayo + Mustard
Mayo + Ketchup
Mayo + BBQ Sauce

D01x4LzWsAES0ny.jpg
Given that Port Of Subs has a bomb ass combination of Mayo-mustard blended as dressing for their sandwich, I disagree with this. Haven't tried Heinz mayo-mustard, but if it's anything close to Port of Subs, it's allowed to exist.

javiBear

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I always see Kens Steakhouse Ranch being slept on, and I urge ranch lovers to try it with some wings. It's so good. Their Blue Cheese sauce is great as well. I don't go to McDonalds much these days, but they had a really good Chipotle BBQ that I miss.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How you gonna put tzatziki of all things on this poll over honey mustard or ranch smh

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Queen Vulpix, you are a Queen.
Awwww ❤️
Just noticed yesterday they have these with salad dressing instead of the aisle with condiments at the grocery store I go to. Apparently even they are like "wtf are these."
Do they? The stores around here just stick them randomly at the endcaps or random places in the back.
Where's the Bleu Cheese love?
Blue cheese, I swear I'm addicted to blue cheese