• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which franchise do you most associate with Bungie?

• Halo

Votes: 1,329 87.8%
  • Destiny

Votes: 184 12.2%

• Total voters

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
First off, most people will probably associate Halo with Bungie.

But this is about which game people think about when they hear Bungie.

Halo, 2, 3, ODST and Reach.
Stretching from 2001 to 2010.

Destiny, 2 and numerous expansion.
Stretching from 2014 to Present

While originally creating this, I thought they were a little closer in terms of years. But Bungie appears to be trekking ahead with Destiny and will catch up no doubt.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
You'd have to go out of your way to even think it's not Halo.

Halo literally changed the landscape of console FPS and allowed a new console to enter the market. At most all Destiny has done is create a sub genre.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I have more of an affinity for Halo, so that may tilt things for me, but it seems like it's definitely Halo.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Destiny for me. Never played the Halo series or had much interest in doing so.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Halo. Both are defining games, but Halo defined all FPS on consoles, while Destiny "only" defined online GAAS looters, I think.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They are not working on Halo for more than a decade, so Destiny (that also influenced 95% of GAAS).

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Halo for me.

Probably for nostalgia etc. Gamers joining recently will probably say Destiny.

I just remember the story, the lore and the massive news each release with people ditching work. It dominated the Xbox Live stats (until Gears) and the general public seemed to recognize it.

For Destiny, it just wasn't as memorable for me.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Halo. Controller FPS games would still barely be a thing without Halo. Destiny gunplay wouldn't even feel remotely the same as it does without Halo

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Destiny may be bigger for it's die hard fans then Halo was for it's die hard fans

But people know what Halo is, who Master Chief is, he's a gaming icon and mascot for an entire platform. Destiny will (probably) never reach that level.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny is great but it will always be the game made by the creators of Halo.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Bungie wouldn't be what they are today if not for Halo.

I realize Destiny helped mold a relatively unique GAAS model, but Bungie played a part on what a FPS it is in general.

Impressive accomplishments by both accounts.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
For now, it's Halo, but in 10 years it might look different. Destiny sure feels like the evolution of Halo. It's a better game in almost every aspect regarding the gameplay. Story and presentation is another thing, but the gameplay in Destiny is one of the best in the whole genre. It definitively feels like Halo refined. So, depending on where they are heading with Destiny it might become the series they stay for.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
This is a hilarious question.

It's Halo by an absolute distance.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I think the big impact of Destiny on Bungie is the seemingly unprecedented deal with Microsoft basically agreed to let Bungie go in order to make the game instead of more Halo.

But Halo is definitely their big franchise.

(But really, it's Myth).

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Halo. All Destiny is doing right now is making people wish the original Halo teams had stayed together.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
As someone who never liked first person shooters, my personal answer is Oni.
If we're talking global scale, it's Halo. Master Chief's design isn't very unique but he is a semi-recognizable character even outside video game fandoms.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy/ed Destiny so much more, but it's Halo. Even being their first hit makes it Halo.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
For me it would be Halo.

Both answers can be correct. It's actually kind of crazy Bungie made Halo, basically defining FPS in consoles, then made Destiny which basically done the same thing within its own sub genre.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Halo by a country mile. Feel like some people are forgetting just how big Halo circa Halo 3 was. Destiny has nowhere near the cultural impact even if it has had a similar impact on game design.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Halo. Destiny has a good following but Halo was legit a pop culture icon for a span of time. Destiny has never been that.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 is the best game they've ever made, but the answer is Halo.
In like 5-10 years? Probably Destiny

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
7 years later, I'm still waiting for Bungie to implement something similar to the Flood in Destiny.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It's Halo and will always be Halo. As big as Destiny has become, it isn't iconic. Halo is.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Halo without doubt, to some extent because 343i have not done a great job adopting the franchise.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Halo without doubt, to some extent because 343i have not done a great job adopting the franchise.

It would still be Halo even if 343 did a phenomenal job. Halo began with Bungie. It came out at a time when the FPS genre wasn't nearly as big as it is today and was a major reason as to why it is where it is today. Somebody can say Master Chief and people will instantly recognize that as Halo. You can't say that about any part of Destiny.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Still Halo for me, but that's probably because I have hated everything since Bungie left.