• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is the most generic question imaginable, but for people who either live or have traveled to Brazil, what's the country like? Do / did you generally like it? How are cities vs. more rural areas?

Whatever minor opinions I've heard from people vary between 'magical' and 'unsafe', but it seems like such a cool country culturally. I don't know anything about Brazil but watching some amazon prime thing involving the country made me curious. Porto Alegre and Bahia seem nice.

Pics appreciated 😳

Last edited:

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I really romanticised Brazil for a while. Wanted to move to Florianapolis. Talk me out of it lol

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Have family there but it's the kind of family I am avoiding so uhh. Caipirinhas are pretty fucking good I guess

This reminds me, I have to buy an ice crusher...

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
What's Brazil like for tourists Vs what it's like to live there as a native and in which areas (poor vs rich) is what I'd like to know and compare the data.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Like any developing country, beautiful but potentially dangerous. Doesnt mean you need to watch yourself all the time, everything. Just need to be smart.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty similar to some parts of the US except a lot more ugly FIAT cars and trash absolutely everywhere (In some major cities like BH). There are hotspots of crime and poverty just like certain areas in the US as well although I'd say there's probably more of them.

People are much more friendly, open, and social than the US in my experience.

Its a very diverse country so you'll run into a lot of great diverse food from Lebanese, Japanese, Afro-Caribbean, German, Italian, Portuguese, etc dependent on region.

Food and board is very cheap but electronics and brand name stuff are very expensive.

Afro Thunder

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Like any developing country, beautiful but potentially dangerous. Doesnt mean you need to watch yourself all the time, everything. Just need to be smart.

This!

Like any country, we have some problems, but we have a lot of good thinks too. You can enjoy Brazil and live very well here depending where you choose to live.

Last edited:

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The country is huge, it depends on where you are, and what you do. I didn't spend much time in rural areas, but the city I lived in was clean and was really varied regarding things to do and especially food options.

It had its safer areas and its more dangerous areas but you still need to be aware of your surroundings at all times when you're out.

Things are generally expensive, even things that shouldn't be like food, but eletronics especially are absurdly expensive. Buying things in installments is simply part of life in Brazil, which has its own pros and cons.

Caipirinhas are great, Brazil at the moment is a hellscape politically and regarding the virus, and I don't know what else to say about it besides that I passed very briefly through Porto Alegre and did not enjoy it hahaha. Florianopolis is beautiful but it's pretty expensive to live there and the streets are tiny. Sao Paulo is basically like New York in that there's a ton of shit to do, it's huge, it's filthy, and I would only visit but never actually want to live there.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I was born and lived waaay up north in Brazil. I loved the humid weather and I feel great whenever I visit my grandparents because of that...but also, it was super unsafe. My cousins casually mention knowing people who have been kidnapped and try to convince me of how safe it is by saying that they have only been mugged a few times in the last few years.

Back in my hometown, apartment buildings were preferable to houses because they were safer. Houses always had electrified fences and those weren't always enough.

People were always ready to cheat and do whatever it took to get ahead without the constraints of common sense...but those same people would, paradoxically, go out of their way to help you and make you feel welcomed there.

It's a strange place. It's dangerous, sure, but over the years since moving from it I've come to appreciate a lot that I took for granted. Wouldn't want to move back there, but it's beautiful. Dangerous, too. But I know that in Canada I'll never get to take a shady canoe to this tiny nearby island that consists of nothing but a bar where people get drunk out of their minds lol

(...Okay I should note that's a Brazilian North thing, I imagine most other Brazilians reading this will go "excuse me what the fuck" and then go "...ah, o Norte lol")

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
😔

post food photos to compensate for corrupting my vision
Sorry I don't have any photos, but to try and mitigate what I said, it was only a quick drive through on my way to another city, I just didn't like driving through it. My experience with it is hardly anything of note really lol.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I miss Brazil, before the pandemic happened I was planning on going back to visit my family. It's a beautiful country, people are for the most part very outgoing. There is some pretty good food, and if you're around the coast it's great to hang by the beach. Hope to get back to Rio at some point in the near future.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
sf2hf-blanka.gif

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I have been once for biz trip to Porto Alegre, it was fun but an area of Brazil that is lacking the beach, so it was kinda broing on my one weekend there. Overall I had great time there.

Oct 27, 2017
I traveled to Rio in 2018 and loved it. Love the weather, food, the city. Never felt unsafe but was pretty cautious, too (never had anything stolen either). Had a blast and can't wait to go again

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Brazil and I love it. Of course there will be places that are hotspots for criminals, like everyone has said, you need to be smart.

But aside from that, here are some things of interesting

For food and drinks, we Brazilians love Feijoada, BBQ, Caipirinhas, Natural Juices for almost every kind of fruits you can imagine.

I can't provide pics right now since I'm on mobile but common food that we eat are also Pão de Queijo, Coxinha, Pastel, Brigadeiro.

For music people like to think there's only Bossa Nova but actually Brazilians really like genres such as Sertanejo, Pagode, Samba, Brazilian Funk (there's a big difference between US Funk and Brazilian Funk)

For places, there are hundreds of beautiful locations in Brazil, if you want something more cold you could always go south for Gramado and have a great fondue, or if you want those amazing beaches you can go to cities like Búzios and Paraty in the state of Rio, this is without even mentioning the BEATIFUL beaches you will find at the North such as Porto de Galinha, Maragogi. And you also have amazing landscapes where Avengers Infinity War was filmed in Lençóis Maranheses.

Basically, my tip to experience Brazil, don't go to the big cities such as Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Although they are beautiful in their own way, the pollution, garbage, inequality will throw you off and honestly if you've ever been to NYC you ain't missing much. You can experience all the foods and music by going to places like I mentioned above.

As for brazilians daily life, unfortunately there's a huge inequality between the population, and huge prejudice and racism between the higher classes with the lower classes. But we manage to be happy when tragedy isn't around thanks to all the country has to offer.

If you're interested to know more feel free to ask away.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
i live in Rio for 20 years now (so yeah, my whole life)

Brazil is a beautiful, diverse, fun, interesting, warm and loving place... if you're a tourist/upper middle class or rich. yes, i'd recommend to everyone to come visit us, it's probably one of the most unique places in the world, but as you probably could imagine, the situation is bad for us who are lower middle class/poor. there are some people that love to romanticize poor brazilians because they're probably one of the most inventive, resourceful, smart people in the world, and while that's true, it's still bad for us.

healthcare, while we are thankful for it being universal, it's preeeeetty bad due to corruption in our system.

public safety is probably our biggest problem but meh, if you are in the biggest cities' good areas and mind your business you'll be fine

education, science and technology are also free for people to get in (thanks, Lula) but as always, corruption gets in the way and the system is shitty.

but, you know, not a better feeling in the world than meeting some good fucking people and sharing laughs while watching our sunset 😅

also, we have the best food/drinks/music/beaches in the world

if you have any questions about Rio, just ask me

Armoured_Bear

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I spent 3 weeks in Brazil a few years ago, in Rio, Buzeos, Salvador de Bahia, el pantanal and some paradise island a few hours from Salvador.
It's fucking amazing, mind-boggling nature, fascinating cities and such genuine, friendly and amazing people.
Can't wait to go back one day.
I did feel a bit self conscious in Rio but had no safety issues.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can't provide pics right now since I'm on mobile but common food that we eat are also Pão de Queijo, Coxinha, Pastel, Brigadeiro.
Non-native here co-signing on pão de queijo, coxinha, and brigadeiro. So good.

Question regarding food: have you tried acarajé before? If so, how is it? 👀

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
Non-native here co-signing on pão de queijo, coxinha, and brigadeiro. So good.

Question regarding food: have you tried acarajé before? If so, how is it? 👀

acarajé is only good in specific places in Bahia, but when it's good... hmmmm so fucking good, one of the best hot foods in the world, for real, it's a mix of a lot of tastes tbh

but yeah, don't eat acarajé that isn't made by baianos or you'll get disappointed

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
acarajé is only good in specific places in Bahia, but when it's good... hmmmm so fucking good, one of the best hot foods in the world, for real, it's a mix of a lot of tastes tbh

but yeah, don't eat acarajé that isn't made by baianos or you'll get disappointed
Haha, I have actually heard that you should only get it from Bahia, specifically the Yoruba women in white clothing. A definite bucket list item, for sure.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Visited before. Good food, cheap, good scenery, lovely people.

Horrible inequality and some places you just do not entertain the idea of going.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I live in Brazil and I love it. Of course there will be places that are hotspots for criminals, like everyone has said, you need to be smart.

But aside from that, here are some things of interesting

For food and drinks, we Brazilians love Feijoada, BBQ, Caipirinhas, Natural Juices for almost every kind of fruits you can imagine.

For music people like to think there's only Bossa Nova but actually Brazilians really like genres such as Sertanejo, Pagode, Samba, Brazilian Funk (there's a big difference between US Funk and Brazilian Funk)

For places, there are hundreds of beautiful locations in Brazil, if you want something more cold you could always go south for Gramado and have a great fondue, or if you want those amazing beaches you can go to cities like Búzios and Paraty in the state of Rio, this is without even mentioning the BEATIFUL beaches you will find at the North such as Porto de Galinha, Maragogi. And you also have amazing landscapes where Avengers Infinity War was filmed in Lençóis Maranheses.

Basically, my tip to experience Brazil, don't go to the big cities such as Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Although they are beautiful in their own way, the pollution, garbage, inequality will throw you off and honestly if you've ever been to NYC you ain't missing much. You can experience all the foods and music by going to places like I mentioned above.

As for brazilians daily life, unfortunately there's a huge inequality between the population, and huge prejudice and racism between the higher classes with the lower classes. But we manage to be happy when tragedy isn't around thanks to all the country has to offer.

If you're interested to know more feel free to ask away.

I saw an article about Bolsanaro's government getting a bunch of brazilians out of poverty with the Covid money? Is this true? Are people getting some good money from the govt..?

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
I know this is the most generic question imaginable, but for people who either live or have traveled to Brazil, what's the country like? Do / did you generally like it? How are cities vs. more rural areas?

Whatever minor opinions I've heard from people vary between 'magical' and 'unsafe', but it seems like such a cool country culturally. I don't know anything about Brazil but watching some amazon prime thing involving the country made me curious. Porto Alegre and Bahia seem nice.

Pics appreciated 😳
About Porto Alegre... I like it, but it's just another big city. I don't see it as a place for international tourism, no beaches or any of the Brazilian stereotypes.
It's a bit colder, and, culturally, there is some influence from Uruguay and Argentina.

There are a lot of shopping malls.
Mugging is not rare. It's more likely to happen at certain places and time, so you have to be clever.
On average, houses and streets will look worse than in a first world country. You can google Image these neighborhoods for reference: centro, moinhos (most expensive one), cidade baixa

also, take in consideration that Bolsonaro is more popular than Trump. You will come across idiotic conservatives very often

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Whatever minor opinions I've heard from people vary between 'magical' and 'unsafe'

They are both right lol I love my country, even with all its problems. It used to be better before the last election. :/

We have many immigrants from everywhere, so diversity is amazing.
Free healthcare and education for everyone (could be better, but at least it exists).
If you don't know how to safely go somewhere you'll probably be robbed.
Videogames prices are hopeless.
Our politicians are worse than the US ones:

imgur.com

The WILD story of Flordelis, the center of Brazil's biggest scandal right now

10997 votes and 170146 views on Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I saw an article about Bolsanaro's government getting a bunch of brazilians out of poverty with the Covid money? Is this true? Are people getting some good money from the govt..?

Some people are getting money as an aid during the lockdown (we have good protection for workers overall), but it's based on your salary.

Last edited:

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Even as a Brazilian, this is not a simple question to answer. It's a country of "opposites".

We have beautiful beaches and forests. But we pollute and destroy them.

We are very rich in terms of natural resources, labor, agriculture, commerce. But our technology (in general) is not great.

We have free healthcare. But the hospital are often over capacity and takes months or even years to get a doctor appointment or surgery.

We are very warm and caring people. But also racist, bigots and hate the poor.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Even as a Brazilian, this is not a simple question to answer. It's a country of "opposites".

We have beautiful beaches and forests. But we pollute and destroy them.

We are very rich in terms of natural resources, labor, agriculture, commerce. But our technology (in general) is not great.

We have free healthcare. But the hospital are often over capacity and takes months or even years to get a doctor appointment or surgery.

We are very warm and caring people. But also racist, bigots and hate the poor.
They are both right lol I love my country, even with all its problems. It used to be better before the last election. :/

Free healthcare and education for everyone (could be better, but at least it exists).
I forgot about the garbage politicians. And it sounds like a complex country. Many are I guess, but maybe the spectrum of Brazil is a bit wider than most.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
spend 3 weeks in Bahia, started with Carnival in Salvador then went to the north for days on all the beaches, eating fish, etc.
best vacation ever, met a cool chick, got my first tatoo, etc.

was before current administration tho

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
There is not a single day I don't miss it. I was from Brasilia and we got food from everywhere, it is probably what I miss the most besides my family. No offense U.S, but your food diversity sucks =p.

Getting people out of poverty is very much a stretch, but yeah, there has been a stimulus check to help those affected with Covid. It is one of the reasons why his popularity is increasing despite so many fuck-ups. It is not permanent however and it is expected to end later in the year.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

imgur.com

The WILD story of Flordelis, the center of Brazil's biggest scandal right now

10997 votes and 170146 views on Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Some people are getting money as an aid during the lockdown (we have good protection for workers overall), but it's based on your salary.

Crazy. They're doing a better job in this economic aspect , than here in usa.

Hresvelg

Feb 22, 2020
Love the food and the beaches (I live in the northeast coast), but that's it.

I'm counting the days I can leave this country for good (next year fingers crossed).

If you're a tourist and don't plan on staying here for a long period of time it must be a paradise though lol

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
Ah Brazil, the favorite destination of right wingers since the American Civil War.
Speaking of which, that history is pretty surprising:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ah Brazil, the favorite destination of right wingers since the American Civil War.
Speaking of which, that history is pretty surprising:

This isn't entirely unsurprising to me. All you have to do is read "Blacks and Whites in São Paulo, Brazil" to get an inkling of just how fucked up anti-black racism has always been in Brazil.