• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is Avatar?

• A cartoon about a kid

Votes: 119 68.4%
  • A movie with blue aliens

Votes: 55 31.6%

• Total voters

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
When you hear the word Avatar, what comes to mind? The James Cameron movie or the airbender?

I have a debate going with a friend who says avatar is the cartoon and that's what most people think of when they hear that word, i believe Avatar is the movie with blue aliens and that's what people connect with the word, what about you?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Blue aliens were so long ago I never even see anyone talking about it

ATLA is going through a major renaissance nowadays so it's the one that always comes to mind

Oct 25, 2017
3935.jpg

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a hunch but it feels like the James Cameron movie might have been slightly more popular than the cartoon. No way "most people" think of the cartoon when they hear the title "Avatar".

That said, I associate it with the Papyrus SNL skit with Ryan Gosling.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
When you hear the word Avatar, what comes to mind? The James Cameron movie or the airbender?

I have a debate going with a friend who says avatar is the cartoon and that's what most people think of when they hear that word, i believe Avatar is the movie with blue aliens and that's what people connect with the word, what about you?

These are two different questions. What I think of and what the people think of aren't the same. I have to remind myself they made a movie called Avatar, because I remember TLA. It's one of the greatest cartoons ever made.

But Avatar the movie is one of the most successful movies of all time. Even Infinity War wasn't able to top it's box office world wide. If you're asking what do MOST people think, it's definitely that film.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Just a hunch but it feels like the James Cameron movie might have been slightly more popular than the cartoon. No way "most people" think of the cartoon when they hear the title "Avatar".

Yeah, all these results are likely to show is how skewed from mainstream perspective this forum is.

(Not saying that is bad... just a fact).

OP
OP
Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Well, i think it depends of who you ask, i was expecting the results so far given the profile of the users in this forum. No disrespect.

Still curious

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I had no idea what the Avatar cartoon was a thing until my little nieces were watching it like 2 years ago. It seemed like a cool show when i was watching it with them though.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
For me in terms of media when I hear/read the word "Avatar" I think of James Cameron's film.

I've never had any interest in watching the Nickelodeon show, and I know it's gotten tons of praise. It's probably because I find it hard to watch cartoons that weren't from my own childhood. Plus I've never really liked the show's illustration style, it's always kind of grated on me for whatever reason.

So yeah, definitely the movie.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
One of the most innovative, highest grossing and politically subversive films ever made.