• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's a small town to you?

• Less than 2,000 people

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • 2,000-5,000

Votes: 35 22.2%
  • 5,000-10,000

Votes: 45 28.5%
  • 10,000-50,000

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • Anything smaller than New York, Chicago, LA, Maimi, etc...

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I've done my fair bit of traveling and I feel like one of the most common things people say is "I'm from a small town called ______". Now, from my experience, anything that isn't a famous city known across the world seems to fit into this "small town" qualifier.

What's odd here is that movies and TV shows seem to do this, too. And I feel like it makes it hard to get a good understanding of the size of the town when I'm told it's small, but then they have fancy restaurants and malls.

For instance, I graduated from a legit small town (Population 1000). I had 29 people in my graduating class. Our town had 1 grocery stores, 1 video rental store, 1 gas station, and 1 restaurant simply called (The Restaurant). Everybody legit knew everybody. I've also lived in a town that had a population of 30,000, and people still insisted it was small and that everyone knew everybody. I currently live in a city with a population of 115,000, and someone I still meet people here that tell me this is such a small town and that everybody knows everybody. I legit don't understand this.

I noticed this in the most recent season of Stranger things as well. No spoilers if you're worried. Hawkins came off as small to me before, since the sheriff seems to have maybe 6 people under his employment. I believe they even call Hawkins a small town in the show somewhere. But with the addition of the Mall to Hawkins, I feel like that city has to be much much larger than I originally believed.

I remember thinking the same of Twin Peaks when I watched it for the first time a couple years ago. I remember noticing how much they focus on that population sign in the first episode of 51,201 people. And then I happened to read that the producers wanted that number to be higher than the original 1,201 because they were afraid to would scare people away being a town that small. So the idea is the show was written with the idea that the town only had a population of 1,201 people. Except this town seems huge and has a police force with roughly a dozen employees. I've lived in a town with approx 1000 people, we had 1 cop. Just 1.

Does anyone else get bothered by this? Or is this a situation of most of the population lives in crazy populated areas so everything seems smaller to them by comparison?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Anything less than 50,000 starts to become "town" territory for me. Small town is ambiguous. I don't really understand how life works for towns of less than 1,000. It all sounds massively inconvenient and boring.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I've got cities near me that are really small.

Like 10,000 - 20,000 people

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
So I've done my fair bit of traveling and I feel like one of the most common things people say is "I'm from a small town called ______". Now, from my experience, anything that isn't a famous city known across the world seems to fit into this "small town" qualifier.

What's odd here is that movies and TV shows seem to do this, too. And I feel like it makes it hard to get a good understanding of the size of the town when I'm told it's small, but then they have fancy restaurants and malls.

For instance, I graduated from a legit small town (Population 1000). I had 29 people in my graduating class. Our town had 1 grocery stores, 1 video rental store, 1 gas station, and 1 restaurant simply called (The Restaurant). Everybody legit knew everybody. I've also lived in a town that had a population of 30,000, and people still insisted it was small and that everyone knew everybody. I currently live in a city with a population of 115,000, and someone I still meet people here that tell me this is such a small town and that everybody knows everybody. I legit don't understand this.

I noticed this in the most recent season of Stranger things as well. No spoilers if you're worried. Hawkins came off as small to me before, since the sheriff seems to have maybe 6 people under his employment. I believe they even call Hawkins a small town in the show somewhere. But with the addition of the Mall to Hawkins, I feel like that city has to be much much larger than I originally believed.

I remember thinking the same of Twin Peaks when I watched it for the first time a couple years ago. I remember noticing how much they focus on that population sign in the first episode of 51,201 people. And then I happened to read that the producers wanted that number to be higher than the original 1,201 because they were afraid to would scare people away being a town that small. So the idea is the show was written with the idea that the town only had a population of 1,201 people. Except this town seems huge and has a police force with roughly a dozen employees. I've lived in a town with approx 1000 people, we had 1 cop. Just 1.

Does anyone else get bothered by this? Or is this a situation of most of the population lives in crazy populated areas so everything seems smaller to them by comparison?
I'm afraid you grew up in a village.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I've lived in a place with a population of a couple of hundred that were all spread out. There was a bar, restaurant, corner store, and post office that was only open 2 days a week. I think it would be closer to the definition of a village.

The town 20 minutes away was a population just under 2,500 and that felt very small town to me. It had a few restaurants, a town hall, single screen movie theater, flower shop, movie rental store, book store, small hospital, etc. It was a self sufficient place unlike my little village. The pop was small, but it served the little communities like mine that surrounded it as well.

I've also lived in a town of 70k and that's small city. The idea of 50k being small town seems way off to me.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
I live in a Town of 300k* people, and used to work for a Town of 850K+** people. But that's using the New York definition of a Town. The Hamlet I live in, inside that town of 300K, is 45K people and covers around five square miles.

*Town of Oyster Bay
**Town of Hempstead

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I guess it depends on whether it's small, really small, or ridiculously small. I don't think you'd even hit the first until you dip below 10,000 people. The wonderfully named Picture Butte in Alberta has about 1500 people there, which is pretty goddamn small.

Having said that, it seems that Stats Canada determines 'small' to be under 30,000, which seems a bit silly.

And the usage of town/village/city/municipality gets all weird as I think they're more legal distinctions than population-based. Sherwood Park, for example is a hamlet. A hamlet with 71,000 people.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My town is about 20,000. I would consider it a smallish town. I'd call a large town somewhere around 50,000 and a city starts around 75,000. Anything less than 5,000 is a village.

Of course these expressions are effectively meaningless in the UK where villages can be bigger than towns and towns can be bigger than cities and what is what is determined by factors like royal charters and cathedral presences.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
When I first went to visit my fiancee's hometown during the university summer, she casually mentioned riding a horse to see a neighbor because it was faster to ride through the woods than to drive all the way around it.

That's when I went "This is a small town."

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
We have similar experiences, OP (however I admit I don't know the difference between village and town). I grew up in a mountaineous area and was in one of the bigger villages in that area. It has 1100 inhabitants. For me it was a big town. The other villages around with less then 1000 people are small villages for me.
Later I moved to a city with 30'000 inhabitants. That already counted as a big city for me.
Now I live in a place with 400'00 and that's like a metropolis for me.

I don't really understand how life works for towns of less than 1,000. It all sounds massively inconvenient and boring.
It doesn't necessarily to be that. In my experience at least, a life in a village can be very exciting and have a lot going on. But good transport connections, surrounding towns and good economy is necessary for a good village live.

Zeckett

Mar 28, 2019
Portugal
For me, personally:

Little village: 100 peeps or less
Village: 101 to 2000
Big Village: 2001 to 10.000
Small Town: 10.001 to 30.000
Town: 30.001 to 75.000
Big Town: 75.001 to 200.000
Small City: 200.001 peeps to 1.000.000
City: 1.000.001 to 5.000.000
Big City: 5.000.001 to 10.000.000
Mega City: over 10.000.000

IDK why I want to be so specific, but it was a fun thought exercise.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Where I live anything between 1,000 and 5,000 would be considered a small town. Smaller than 1,000 would be a village and smaller than 100 a hamlet. Anything above 5,000 is a city.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The town that I grew up in had 60,000 people and is now up to 190,000. (It's still a town.)

I now live in a nearby city of ~3,000,000, in a metro area of ~6,000,000.

So anything under 20,000? That's a small town. Under 5,000? That's a village.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Is a village different from a small town ? Because according to the dictionnary, they are rather similar, as a village is said to be "A group of houses and associated buildings, larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town, situated in a rural area. "
I'm not a native English speaker btw, I just searched for a definition of village, so I might be wrong.
I'm in the UK so my definition is different to the OPs, but here a Village is between 1000 and 5000, I'd say, with maybe one main street and not much else. Towns have more retail, facilities etc, and a proper center.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
Hamlet = <500
Village = < 5,000
Small town = <15,000
Town = <50,000
City = >100,000

In my mind, cities always have suburbs, outer suburbs, commuter towns, and an intricate public transport infrastructure such as metro or light rail (trams). That's all my opinion though.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
It's town under 10k. There can be small towns and large towns.

I grew up in a large town of about 7k. My family is mostly from a small city of about 25k.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
10000-50000. I used to go to one that's around 25000, it feels incredibly small.

I have to deal with 12 million people*, so even cities that have 1 million start to feel smaller. Can't even imagine what 1000 feels like.

*Not directly, obviously.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I would imagine that somewhere you call "crazy populated" is still within the confines of what i consider small town. Most of the towns in my county could fit a hundred or two of your village, and I'm not even somewhere at the top like LA or NY.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
I'm in the UK so my definition is different to the OPs, but here a Village is between 1000 and 5000, I'd say, with maybe one main street and not much else. Towns have more retail, facilities etc, and a proper center.
I don't know much about the UK, but here in the French countryside, places with only one main streets have less than 2000 inhabitants. Above that, you start to find a proper center with some supermarkets, many small and maybe couple of medium sized companies, maybe a high school (depends if there are other nearby) and definitely a middle school.
Also, Villages can be way smaller than 1000 people. Anything with a mayor is a village (also, there is usually a church). The middle school where I studied was in a village with ~200 inhabitants (there were as many students as people in the village)

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
  • City - Almost all of your daily services are available
  • Town - most of them are available
  • Small town - some of them available
Just as arbitrary as population numbers, but I think this conveys more about the actual way life is experienced in these population centers.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I would never live in a place with less than 100k people. I don't think I've even live somewhere with less than a couple million.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
If your total metro area is in then tens of thousands, I'd consider that a small town. Honestly probably lower hundred thousands too.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I grew up on the outskirts of a town with 1200 residents. I wasn't in the town portion. I was out in the country. My closest neighbor was about 1.5 miles away. - Small Town

I lived in Batesville, AR for about 5 years in my late teens/early 20's and the population then was around 9,300. - Big Town

Currently in a city of about 51k. - Small City

Tedesco!

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 30, 2017
I live in a town with a population under 300 people. The next closest town to me (the one which I usually identify as living in) has around 2,100 people.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
Part of the disconnect here could also be density. I'm from Long Island, NY. We have 6 million people, and it's pretty much entirely built up from NYC to the east end. Towns, villages, hamlets, and even the cities other then New York City are pretty much arbitrary distinctions. From the tip of Brooklyn all the way to the end you won't find any towns that aren't connected directly to every town around them. There's no Greenways or rural areas, it's all densely populated sprawl.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
My view of small is way different than most folk
Same, to me there is a stark difference between places with :
-100 residents
-1,000 residents
-10,000 residents
-100,000 residents

Anything from 100k onwards just feels the same (you can find the same stuff in terms of entertainment, services, etc). It's just that it takes longer to cross

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
NYC all my adult life. Anything under 3-6 million I'd consider tiny. Tho as someone mentioned, density matters.

Having been to DC/Philly/Boston/Seattle/Chicago/Denver In the past couple of years, Philly and Chicago feels like major cities, Boston depends, and the rest feels small and even deserted. Though strangely, I found London overwhelming.

Thinking about it, the architecture plays a huge part. Oporto and Edinburgh felt just right. I think American cities are often filled with taller buildings, but without the population to feel substantial.

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say sub 20,000 or something.

I grew up in a town of less than 1,000 people. 776 for most of my life to be exact. Now I think it has 1200 or so.

One of the main cities I went to shop growing up had/has a population of about 40,000. Another was 30,000.

My home town was 500 total people a d my graduating class was 13 kids.

My view of small is way different than most folk

Damn, you got me beat!

Graduating class was like 85 or something, but that's because the district spanned across a few towns in the area. The main town for the district had like 2,000 people. It encompassed a few other towns of about 1,000-1,500.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For Dutch standards I'd say:

• 500,000+ is a "metropolis" (relatively speaking of course),
  • between 500,000 and 100,000 people is a big city with vibrant parts,
  • between 50,000 and 100,000 is a sizable but not big city,
  • between 20,000 and 50,000 is a big town,
  • less than 20,000 is a town, with less than 5,000 basically being a village.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
This has to be an american thing, right ? According to google map, it takes around an hour to bike across Paris itself (without the rest of its urban area), and that holds more than 2M inhabitants.
South American in my case, but yeah it mostly applies here where cities are spread out.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hometown where I grew up is almost exactly 10,000 people. At that size you have a Wal-Mart and you're not totally deprived of restaurants, but there won't be amenities like a nice mall, a movie theater, a coffee shop like a Starbucks, or a Best Buy. At that size you have to fill in holes with substitutes, like if I want a pizza I have to go to a gas station and get some slices of Hunt Brothers pizza. If I want some coffee on the go I have to make due with McDonald's. There's no real immigrants from Asia or India, and our one Japanese restaurant is run by white people and serves sweet tea.

There's much smaller towns in my state below 2,500 and there's little more than a Dollar General and for a grocery store there's a Piggly Wiggly or an IGA. In my state of Georgia in very small towns there's a trend for gas stations to evolve into a gas station/supermarket/restaurant combo. They have tables and serve breakfast, lunch, and even sell things like movies and diapers. They seem to do good business because there's nowhere else to go unless you travel 20 miles.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
We have similar experiences, OP (however I admit I don't know the difference between village and town). I grew up in a mountaineous area and was in one of the bigger villages in that area. It has 1100 inhabitants. For me it was a big town. The other villages around with less then 1000 people are small villages for me.
Later I moved to a city with 30'000 inhabitants. That already counted as a big city for me.
Now I live in a place with 400'00 and that's like a metropolis for me.

It doesn't necessarily to be that. In my experience at least, a life in a village can be very exciting and have a lot going on. But good transport connections, surrounding towns and good economy is necessary for a good village live.

Ehhh I think we come from different frames of reference. I can see a village being relaxing and interesting if it's a town where everyone is interacting with each other all the time, but I come from near a city of 2 million people. My frame of reference of "excitement" and "economy" is probably different.