• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say that because they are sprites they actually have 30 frames that it has to cycle through and doubling that for every coin on screen is too much. Every other mario game has maybe 1 2 or 3 frames of animation to cycle through ... and mario 3D world is actually in 3D so there is not sprite animation to cycle through.
I get that, but were they not sprites in NSMBU and Deluxe? Because in those games everything animates properly at 60fps. Not to mention every other sprite-based tileset in Mario Maker 2 animates everything at 60fps as well.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
For a more recent example, The Outer Worlds, how hard it is to just...keep your gun holstered.

Wanna open a door in town? Careful not to hold the button TOO long or you'll draw your gun.
Wanna talk to a (minor) NPC? You WILL draw your gun.
Wanna loot something but your cursor isn't exactly on the item? Draw your gun.

Co-signed.

Fortunately nobody seems to give a shit about your gun being out all the time. If NPC attitude was affected by my gun being drawn I'd be going batty.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I get that, but were they not sprites in NSMBU and Deluxe? Because in those games everything animates properly at 60fps. Not to mention every other sprite-based tileset in Mario Maker 2 animates everything at 60fps as well.
they were, but those levels were actually tailored to run at 60... mario maker lets you do a ton of crazy stuff that didn't happen in NSMBU... I edited my last post to say that mm coins are actually at 20fps it seems

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is something I have with lots of games in general but just as an example im gonna use Horizon.

When you do a melee attack the weapon trail isnt actually very curved and looks kinda jagged. Is it really that hard to make the weapon trail round?

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
I haven't played Borderlands since 2 on the the PC, but did they ever fix saving the game? I feel like no one ever talks about this (maybe because you can suspend games on modern consoles), but it made me drop the franchise.

I would save my game, mid-mission, and when I boot up I would be back at whatever the starting base was like I didn't just make a ton of progress in the mission. Then having to go through the slog of fighting all the enemies I just killed, listening to the same dialogue from Handsome Jack. It just didn't make any sense to me. There were checkpoints for when you died, so why not just save my progress at the last checkpoint I crossed?

I just chalked it up to the game probably being intended for multiplayer, but it seems like it would have been a pretty easy issue to fix for people who preferred single player?

Nov 1, 2017
The water in 3D Dot Game Heroes is way too bright and hurts my eyes. The combination of the glowing water and the DOF made it unplayable for me. :(
3d-dot-game-heroes-20100923011436240-3317584.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Trails of Cold Steel games - I feel like I'm being forced to endure the whims of a very sleepy, slow, perverted cameraman during stretches when I am not directly controlling the game. I just started ToCS3. It was a thing in the previous two entries too, but my patience for it now is roughly zero.

Basically, you go to a new location or encounter people in town or whatever, there is this slow camera panning shit. It takes forever, you can't easily skip, and it drives me crazy. Oh you're in town now? Three separate, verrry slow panning shots that show you stuff that's not interesting or attractive. Encounter a character for the first time? Mandatory slow-ass pan shots that swivel slowly up from their crotch area to their face. There is a ffw button, but it skips dialogue.

I don't think I've ever seen this mentioned by anyone else, but sometimes it annoys me enough that I sometimes just stop playing.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
My perpetual #1 for pet peeves, the one which no reviews ever seem to have mentioned, is the inability to unequip the sword in the Dishonored games. It's nonsense. It's a purely lethal, short range, basic weapon in a series that encourages stealth, subtlety, creativity of approach, and doing things at various ranges. With a ton of other items! It makes no sense, is immensely poor game design, and yet no one seems to care. I don't get it.

TheHolyTurnip

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tulsa, OK

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Jumping with the triangle/Y button is the worst possible button choice eber, no one ever complains about in Bethesda games but why?

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Dark Souls series and the enemy lock on button that also centers your camera. It's so damn stupid because it's difficult to gauge the lock on distance so you often end up centering your camera.

This is one I always notice, and it feels like the lock-on distance is getting shorter with every subsequent From Software game. It really made magic a pain in DS3 where you'd be clicking the stick multiple times before you were allowed to lock-on.

I wish there was an option to disable centring, I never use it even in other games, it's not difficult to just turn the camera.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
Games with tiny, itty-bitty subtitles and menu text. Just played the Witcher 3 and that one stands out.

Tekken 7 gives you the option to substitute the music from older Tekken games in place of the original T7 soundtrack. This is good because the T7 soundtrack is kind of crap, but for some reason, they made it so that the track changes randomly after every round instead of using it to the end of the fight. Rounds in Tekken can end in seconds, so the track is just constantly changing before the song gets a chance to play.

Last edited:

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
It's very small, but... I love love love Stardew Valley. Definitely one of my favorite games.

But I absolutely hate how slow you move. I get that it's a design choice and there's obviously ways to move faster as you progress (horses, food buffs, etc.) but for some reason the character feels too sluggish to me. I usually wind up cranking the speed to 1.2x with mods, because that feels more right to me.

Do you have the PC version? There's a mod to enable faster run. I don't usually turn it on, because the default slower run actually helps with keeping the relaxed pace of the game

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
Games with tiny, itty-bitty subtitles and menu text. Just played the Witcher 3 and that one stands out.

Tekken 7 gives you the option to substitute the music from older Tekken games in place of the original T7 soundtrack. This is good because the T7 soundtrack is kind of crap, but for some reason, they made it so that the track changes randomly after every round instead of using it to the end of the fight. Rounds in Tekken can end in seconds, so the track is just constantly changing before the song gets a chance to play.

Oh yeah, tiny subtitle fonts makes me rage quit. That's why I never got pass the intro for Monster Hunter on the Wii.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
RPGs (mostly JRPGs) where you're walking around and you trigger a cutscene, the screen fades to black, then the screen fades back into the exact same location and a cutscene plays out, then it fades to black after the cutscene, fades back in, and you're back in gameplay.

It makes the gameplay and the story feel completely disconnected to me and I hate hate hate it, but it feels like I'm the only one.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The claustrophobic camera angle in Horizon Zero Dawn, when there's an enemy that isn't in front of you it can jump OR shoot at you from a mile and when dodging attacks you can't see where you're dodging, resulting in running in to the geometry and getting stuck/dying.

Palidoozy

Concept Artist at Maxis Texas/EA
Verified
Sep 17, 2019
Austin, Texas
Do you have the PC version? There's a mod to enable faster run. I don't usually turn it on, because the default slower run actually helps with keeping the relaxed pace of the game

That's actually exactly what I use. Well, close -- there's a mod that gives you a variety of cheat tools (CJB Cheats), but I use it solely for the speed option. You can set the speed up, so I set it to 1.2x. I don't want to move blazing fast, just slightly faster.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The Last of Us.

AI companions are absolutely horrible and while the story is good it's so predictable, could tell where the game was going from the very start.

The shit AI that just stands in full view of the enemy while you're trying to stealth i]is a widely documented flaw in the game.

The claustrophobic camera angle in Horizon Zero Dawn, when there's an enemy that isn't in front of you it can jump OR shoot at you from a mile and when dodging attacks you can't see where you're dodging, resulting in running in to the geometry and getting stuck/dying.

Poor FoV is a common issue on consoles and it's not talked about much. Days Gone is even worse, you can't see shit on foot.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
The shit AI that just stands in full view of the enemy while you're trying to stealth i]is a widely documented flaw in the game.

Poor FoV is a common issue on consoles and it's not talked about much. Days Gone is even worse, you can't see shit on foot.

Gears 5 also has hilariously bad CPU AI companions that the enemy AI just ignores when they run right past them in stealth sections.

FOV on consoles is a question of performance and also being made for TV viewing distances. Every game should have a FOV slider so you can use a desktop screen if you want so it doesn't feel like walking with binoculars on.

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
That's actually exactly what I use. Well, close -- there's a mod that gives you a variety of cheat tools (CJB Cheats), but I use it solely for the speed option. You can set the speed up, so I set it to 1.2x. I don't want to move blazing fast, just slightly faster.

I love it when playing multiplayer and pressing the turbo button when we're all on the same screen. The others are like, hey how come you run faster than me?

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Wooly Yoshi is made of wool, so you think he'd be light like Yarn Kirby and have an especially floaty jump. But it's the opposite; he has the heaviest fastest falling jump of any platformer I've ever played. Most jumps follow a natural ark where you slow down at the top and then accelerate as you fall. Yoshi's jump ark speed is almost linear. You go up and the immediately fall down at the same speed that you went up.

9ItIXLr.gif

As far as I know I'm the only person bothered by this.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Backflip in Breath of the Wild is floaty, and bad. Feels terrible to play with compared to any other 3d Zelda.

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen anyone else bring this up and I feel like I'm the only one who cares about this. In Resident Evil and many other games where after you kill an enemy, the dead body just magically disappears afterwards. This kills the immersion for me and I'm assuming the reason this happens is they need to keep the frame rate up in the game, so they get rid of the body to make sure the frame rate doesn't buckle. It sucks when old games like the original Doom is able to avoid this, where EVERY body remains onscreen/doesn't magically disappear, yet in modern games, they can't do what the old Doom games did.