• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's with Super Mario Maker 2. In the NSMBU theme, all enemies, coins, and other objects other than Mario himself animate at 30fps instead of 60.

Why? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

This isn't the case with NSMBU or U Deluxe, nor is it the case with any other theme in Mario Maker 2 (including 3D World). Nobody ever talks about this. It bothers me so much because I just don't understand why it is that way. I can understand it maybe adjusting down to 30fps under load if a ton of stuff is being crammed onto the screen, but all the time? It looks so bad.

Palidoozy

Concept Artist at Maxis Texas/EA
Verified
Sep 17, 2019
Austin, Texas
It's very small, but... I love love love Stardew Valley. Definitely one of my favorite games.

But I absolutely hate how slow you move. I get that it's a design choice and there's obviously ways to move faster as you progress (horses, food buffs, etc.) but for some reason the character feels too sluggish to me. I usually wind up cranking the speed to 1.2x with mods, because that feels more right to me.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Dark Souls series and the enemy lock on button that also centers your camera. It's so damn stupid because it's difficult to gauge the lock on distance so you often end up centering your camera.

As a recent (super) ultrawide display owner I have become increasingly aware of bad FOV implementations in games. Either it's stretching objects at the very sides (lens distortion type effect) or reduced vertical area when the horizontal size increases. Or games like Control not supporting larger than 21:9 without patching the executables. Ultrawide is the best way to play when it works but it's still annoying that it is not perfect in most games. You'd think calculating field of view and enumerating resolutions supported would be a normal thing in every game but apparently not.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
BOTW - why does Link clip badly through giant branches that really look fine to walk on?

Mario Odyssey - NO MUSIC IN PHOTO MODE

There are more, just as obvious nitpicks in these games, but these two are definitely ones I don't see brought up enough if ever, and they really stand out to me.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Last of Us.

AI companions are absolutely horrible and while the story is good it's so predictable, could tell where the game was going from the very start.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The star launchers in the Mario Galaxy games are about as uninteractive as boost pads in 3D Sonic and about as prevalent to boot.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Most FPS that feature slide mechanics stop your slide regardless of the type of slope you're going down. Apex Legends is the right way to handle things - you can slide right down hills and maintain momentum as long as you're still on a downward slope.
The Last of Us.

AI companions are absolutely horrible and while the story is good it's so predictable, could tell where the game was going from the very start.
while the story is good it's so predictable, could tell where the game was going from the very start.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I don't like that in Zelda BOTW you can't control the direction of your sword when you attack. In previous Zeldas you could choose whether you did a vertical slice, horizontal slice, or a thrust, but now you do the exact same combos/sword movements and it disappoints me.

I also don't like how most multiplayer shooters don't have music playing during the gameplay.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
For me it's with Super Mario Maker 2. In the NSMBU theme, all enemies, coins, and other objects other than Mario himself animate at 30fps instead of 60.

This isn't the case with NSMBU or U Deluxe, nor is it the case with any other theme in Mario Maker 2 (including 3D World). Nobody ever talks about this. It bothers me so much because I just don't understand why it is that way. I can understand it maybe adjusting down to 30fps under load if a ton of stuff is being crammed onto the screen, but all the time? It looks so bad.
That's actually really surprising to me! I don't have the game, but I just assumed it'd be 60fps across the board.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There's been a game-ruining bug in franchise mode of Madden going on about 6+ years where the wind blows super strong endzone to endzone in every single outdoor game, and it drives me fucking batty. I've been complaining about it for at least 6+ years, maybe even longer, and it's never, ever fixed. IT's only in franchise mode. And you can't change the weather in franchise mode, and IMO, it ruins every single game in franchise mode.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
No sprinting in EDF (4.1). Makes reaching some of the enemies and hoovering up drops that much longer than it really needs to be.

No instant restart option for mini games/missions in Yakuza - its been this since the beginning and it drives me nuts.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
For a more recent example, The Outer Worlds, how hard it is to just...keep your gun holstered.

Wanna open a door in town? Careful not to hold the button TOO long or you'll draw your gun.
Wanna talk to a (minor) NPC? You WILL draw your gun.
Wanna loot something but your cursor isn't exactly on the item? Draw your gun.

Oct 24, 2019
That Spider-Man and Horizon get a total pass for having Ubi-style towers/maps.

People give Ubi-style games a lot of flak for the cookie cutter map format, and that's a fair critique. However, it rubs me the wrong way when games like Horizon and Spider-Man, which use that exact format get heaps of praise for their open worlds and evade that criticism.

Don't get me wrong, I love those games. It just seems like there's a double standard where "generic Ubi-style open world" is used as a maligning descriptor, but is only selectively applied.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
In Persona 5 when you go to the fortune teller to improve your relationship with different confidants (which of course you do a lot in the game if you're trying to max out everyone on your first run) the fact that it doesn't give you any feedback in the form of music notes to tell you that the relationship improved really bothered me

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Part of the reason why I can't play The Witcher 3 is because I hate Geralt's voice, because it's very obvious the actor is faking it. It's very annoying to me when someone is speaking loudly to you because you're both on your horses or whatever, but Geralt keeps talking in the same tone as always. I wonder how can the other guy hear him.

Oct 27, 2017
Mario's default run speed in Mario Oddesey is tad too slow for me. It feels like it should be faster.
Sam FIsher's new voice in Blacklist makes him sound generic comapared to his older voice acting where he was gruff but still likeable
I wish you could selectively turn off pokemon you dont wanna appear in Pokeballs in smash

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The vertical position of the camera in GTAV. It's too low and sometimes your car obscures the view. You can move it up but it will automatically go back down. I have to keep my thumb pushed up slightly on the right stick while driving and its very annoying.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Dragon's Dogma when it came out on the 360/PS3 originally. The game plays in mandatory letterbox mode(even in Widescreen) and that annoyed the living hell out of me and it felt like nobody really cared when looking up the issue at the time. Sure Resident Evil 4 had it when it initially came out, but that game justified the need to do it since HDtv's weren't a thing then and playing on a standard Tv and the third person aiming needed the aspect ratio.

Also a pretty consistent thing that has been bothering me(but doesn't seem to bother people enough from what I gathered) in a ton of games that came out within the past few years is the lack of an option to "Mark all as viewed button" for acquired items/loot in games. Most of the time It's a throwaway common skin/emote/gesture I don't care about enough to sift through the game menu to clear out before a match starts so just let me mark all items as seen. This could be easily resolved by keeping a list of acquired items history so you can refer back to an item (if you need to) and know for sure what you got and when you got it. Even better, just give me the option to just be notified and only generate a marker for items that I really want past a higher tier cap, particular items that I can manually mark or something like that. Really messes up with feeling organized in game.

Call of duty: Modern warfare has this issue bad where it seems to be a bug where you legitimately checked all items/camos/attachments and still doesn't clear the new items notification icon. After some research, it looks to be a bug that doesn't show the appropriate icon for the new weapon in for some reason so i had to manually sift through everything multiple times in order to clear it. Could've been easily resolved with a "Mark all as seen" button. ARGH.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand not being able to quick swap to specific weapons on Borderlands 3. Such a chore.
did you, uh, look in the options? If you're talking about switching to a specific equipped weapon then yes you can do that in BL3
The vertical position of the camera in GTAV. It's too low and sometimes your car obscures the view. You can move it up but it will automatically go back down. I have to keep my thumb pushed up slightly on the right stick while driving and its very annoying.
you can change to a raised vehicle camera in the options...

Last edited:

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018

People give Ubi-style games a lot of flak for the cookie cutter map format, and that's a fair critique. However, it rubs me the wrong way when games like Horizon and Spider-Man, which use that exact format get heaps of praise for their open worlds and evade that criticism.

Don't get me wrong, I love those games. It just seems like there's a double standard where "generic Ubi-style open world" is used as a maligning descriptor, but is only selectively applied.
Neither evaded critics

Mendoza

Oct 29, 2017
Columbus
Punch-Out Wii has fixed dodge timing — the only game in the series (even Teleroboxer) to not allow for dodge canceling. This is particularly frustrating when fighting someone for the first time. I makes the game feel more stiff.

One gen later, Fallout 4 uses the same model triggers when blasting off limbs and exploding heads. I guess this is to line up with VATS targeting, but it looks last gen. Speaking of which, the Mutants sound so dumb.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
The weird, erratic way some foliage sometimes moves in Fallout 4 right before a storm rolls in. I get that they were trying to simulate higher wind speeds before a storm, but the super janky, way-too-rapid animation is just really badly done there. I have seen literally zero people talking about this, even though it's a fairly common occurrence in the game.

Also, in virtually any game: whenever the subtitles don't match whatever's being said. Usually a negligible issue, but this never ever ever gets fixed, even in games that receive a million tiny hotfix patches.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018

Ubi games have a ridiculous amount of those towers and they pop an equally ridiculous amount of icons on the map, which is annoying.

Horizon has like 5 towers in total in the entire game and you can skip them completely if so you desire, since you reveal everything as you go through the world anyway. And the amount of stuff they reveal is not as ridiculous, you do it mostly to reveal the actual map to find out where interesting locations are (like settlements and cauldrons) not to find random chests or whatever (there are collectables, but they are not even close to the amount of crap in an Ubi game, and you can skip them if you want since they have almost zero impact on the game).

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
In the scene when using portals in Metroid Prime 2 the particles Samus disperses into are always the color of her starting Varia Suit despite the fact that you replace this suit really early on.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's rather big but I can't believe how basically not a single critic review of Mass Effect 3 mentioned how far down they stripped the dialogue system.

I mean... I thought that was why people played those games. No!?

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the ability to pop multiple coee crystals at once would have been greatly appreciated. Small QoL things like that go a long way for me.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
No instant restart option for mini games/missions in Yakuza - its been this since the beginning and it drives me nuts.

Oh yeah I absolutely loathe that. Having to watch through the unnecessary lengthy loading animation every time is so awful that I never play say pool in these games.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I think Mass Effect 3 is a very bad game that stuck a knife in what otherwise would have been my favorite game series, BUT my small problem that doesn't even rank in the other problems:

ME3's running animation. I seem to recall this being something about memory limits or something, but the running animation, which is quite a common animation, looks laughable compared to the other games. It's some weird high step that looks completely unnatural. It's a small thing that is almost your first interaction with the game but really touches on how little the minor details mattered in the end to that game.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Part of the reason why I can't play The Witcher 3 is because I hate Geralt's voice, because it's very obvious the actor is faking it. It's very annoying to me when someone is speaking loudly to you because you're both on your horses or whatever, but Geralt keeps talking in the same tone as always. I wonder how can the other guy hear him.

He's just such a cool guy that when he talks, everyone listens. Totally canon. ;)

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Jynx's weird spikes on the side of its body, which I've assumed to be its hips that's mentioned in the Pokedex.
latest

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn seems to have a great atmospheric soundtrack... Which is constantly interrupted by the nearby enemy music and then combat due to how packed the world is with life. I wish I could turn off that bloody stealth music. I can even hear it in my head now ffs.

Edit: The menu music also drives me insane and I also wish it didn't interrupt the music.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
This applies to many many games, including one of my favorites: monster hunter world (granted it only happens when you need to talk to the handler) but the gripe is:
Having the "action button" (initiate conversations or pick things up, etc) mapped to the same button that either jumps or crouches. I get so unreasonably angry when I'm trying to talk to an NPC and my character keeps jumping or crouching instead of talking to them or picking something up.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is in a lot of games but I'm so annoyed that you can bump into other players in Destiny 2. They can push you off platforms or you can get stuck just running into each other. Jumping at the same time and hitting each other is the worst feeling in that game. Just make it so I go through them, dammit.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Skyrim on consoles: you can't invert the x-axis and that made the game unplayable to me.
For some reason the devs never cared to add it, although the option exists to invert the y-axis, so I'm guessing not enough people complained about that

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
In GOW (2018), it bothered me initially that the enemies had canned death animations instead of some physics-based system. I got over it and loved the game but still wouldn't have minded some better combination of animations with ragdoll or something.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
In Final Fantasy XII whenever your party takes out or puts away their weapons they come to a complete stop. It's just for a brief moment but it happens so frequently in regular gameplay that it is a lot more annoying than it really needed to be. Also you can't interact with objects or open treasures during this animation, so it can get in the way some times.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to play or watch Duke Nukem 3D, some of the "3D" sprites really give me motion sickness in a hurry. Something about the FoV combined with the weird warping it does for certain angles makes it hard to sit through.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
sleep? food? fuel?

So much focus on realism, dynamic weather and night and day cycles but game characters still doesn't need to sleep, or eat, or even take a tiny pause to rest (well in Hollow Knight they made you rest to save at least).

And those poor shopkeepers/weaponsmiths, they stand by their counter/anvil and work 24 hours a day. Put down the controller and they'll stand their until forever. Same as the main character.

Racing games. Why can't you run out of fuel?

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
RDR2's weapon/ item selection wheel is just so unintuitive. To navigate between different objects you use the shoulder buttons, the right analog stick and occasionally the dpad all while holding L1. This is absurd. I can hardly imagine a more obscure way to select items.

Oct 25, 2017
There's an inconsistency in how enemies in Persona 5 detect you in stealth.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
The menu design with Trails in the Sky 3. The way the menus overlay on top of one another makes it feel very confusing and unintuitive. Also, every button seems to open up a different menu.

I also seem to be the only one really bothered by it too.

Trying to play or watch Duke Nukem 3D, some of the "3D" sprites really give me motion sickness in a hurry. Something about the FoV combined with the weird warping it does for certain angles makes it hard to sit through.
Interesting. I remember Duke Nukem 64 giving me motion sickness as well. I think that's the only FPS game I've ever played that's done that.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas

I want to say that because they are sprites they actually have 30 frames that it has to cycle through and doubling that for every coin on screen is too much. Every other mario game has maybe 1 2 or 3 frames of animation to cycle through ... and mario 3D world is actually in 3D so there is not sprite animation to cycle through.
Also I just framed through it ... I think the coins are actually running 20 frames(every 3 frames instead of every other frame ) not 30 which is probably why you can tell.