• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You perfectly described why it was huge. It's a CBS show written for their millions of old rural and suburban viewers. It wasn't written for you and certainly not for anyone of "nerd culture."

That's why I'll never understand the actual nerds I've met in real life who love this show.

Like, you realize the show is laughing AT you, not WITH you, right?

driveninhifi

Jun 7, 2018
Its every conservative/Republican/redneck/white trash's wet dream. A tight knit family of God fearing good ol' boys designed their own hunting calls to make hunting better and easier and they struck it rich. So now, they can spend time hunting, fishing, spending time with family, and do dumb redneck stuff like spending crazy amounts of money on four wheelers and trying to build dumb stuff like ramps and driving boats and whatever else. Every male wore camo, had a big beard, smoke or drank often, had a smoking hot white blonde wife, and beautiful children. That is literally what that 18-65 white male middle/lower class demographic wants: to spend all day doing nothing but dumb stuff with basically an unlimited budget, all while heading home to be with a solid 8-9/10 mother of their children.

Add that it had genuinely funny characters (obviously scripted and exaggerated, definitely not "reality") and so-dumb-its-funny events (similar to Jackass but not quite so over the top) and it's very easy to see how it got big. It's a soft power fantasy for a huge chunk of white America.

And if you see pictures of the family before the show started they look totally different (generic middle class white dudes/ladies). They are 100% selling an image.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Its every conservative/Republican/redneck/white trash's wet dream. A tight knit family of God fearing good ol' boys designed their own hunting calls to make hunting better and easier and they struck it rich. So now, they can spend time hunting, fishing, spending time with family, and do dumb redneck stuff like spending crazy amounts of money on four wheelers and trying to build dumb stuff like ramps and driving boats and whatever else. Every male wore camo, had a big beard, smoke or drank often, had a smoking hot white blonde wife, and beautiful children. That is literally what that 18-65 white male middle/lower class demographic wants: to spend all day doing nothing but dumb stuff with basically an unlimited budget, all while heading home to be with a solid 8-9/10 mother of their children.

Add that it had genuinely funny characters (obviously scripted and exaggerated, definitely not "reality") and so-dumb-its-funny events (similar to Jackass but not quite so over the top) and it's very easy to see how it got big. It's a soft power fantasy for a huge chunk of white America.

And apparently they didn't always look like a bunch of rednecks that feared a barber

Edit: beaten by minutes

Giruvegan

Rick and Morty. Worse is people try to make it sound like an intellectual's show when it's really the kind of thing that should have been shown in between eps of Aeon Flux on old late night MTV.
this was the first thing i thought of too.
i really don't get the appeal
i knew someone that was pretty into it and tried to get me to watch
and it ended up being a rape scene or something that i really didn't need to see
and i've hated it more ever since

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Most shows if I am being honest, but then again I am out of step with the general American public. Any show I love gets canceled early and all the shows I don't last for over a decade.

Oct 28, 2017
That is literally what that 18-65 white male middle/lower class demographic wants: to spend all day doing nothing but dumb stuff with basically an unlimited budget, all while heading home to be with a solid 8-9/10 mother of their children.
Is wanting to spend all day doing whatever you want with unlimited money and a beautiful spouse really exclusive to white men?

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doctor Who. I haven't watched it since the Matt Smith doctor, but it was kinda surprising to me how massive it seemed to get in popular culture. Maybe it was just a Reddit bubble, but it seems like for a handful of years there was an intense fervor for Doctor Who. Tardis jokes, constant quotes from the show like the "bowties are cool" one, etc. etc.

It's a show that I remember as being decent with cheesy writing that was sometimes great, and some goofy special effects and CGI. While I enjoyed it, I didn't quite understand how it got so massive.

Oct 26, 2017
Doctor Who. I haven't watched it since the Matt Smith doctor, but it was kinda surprising to me how massive it seemed to get in popular culture. Maybe it was just a Reddit bubble, but it seems like for a handful of years there was an intense fervor for Doctor Who. Tardis jokes, constant quotes from the show like the "bowties are cool" one, etc. etc.

It's a show that I remember as being decent with cheesy writing that was sometimes great, and some goofy special effects and CGI. While I enjoyed it, I didn't quite understand how it got so massive.
Uhhh...excuse me. Bowties ARE cool. But yeah. Even as I was first getting into Doctor Who, I was confused on the love for it. I disliked more than I liked, and only really fell in love when Matt Smith came along.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
I'll give you family guy, but american dad has been amazing. Episodes go in wild directions and it really seems like the writers have the freedom to be as creative as they want to be.

In all honesty, I'm not sure I've seen full episodes of american dad

I looked at their release date and bases on that I think what I saw (tried maybe like 5 episodes?) was family Guy. And since the other one has the same look and feel, I didn't bother to try.

But I'm pretty sure I catched snippets of it, and that didn't click with me.

I have the same reaction towards Rick and Morty. I saw another poster mentionned it and it made me realize this is also one of those show.
I dunno, to me it's like they try hard to be funny

There's a little of 'instant nostalgia' with doctor who.
Apart from some really great episode, it's pretty sub par. Writing is usually not too good, suspense meh, lots of techno babble and random ways to solve a situation.
But it's also sweet, naive enough, and somehow I look back at episodes and overall plot with fondness. It also helps that the actors who played the doctors are all amazing imo

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Gavin & Stacey (British sitcom). Didn't even crack a smile and it was unbelievably popular, it seemed to infest every single aspect of British Culture at one point, people going OHH, WHATS OCCURIN' all the fucking time and it had that irritating lump James Corden in it. Ugh.

Also Two and a Half men and Big Bang Theory.

Oct 27, 2017
I find most really popular comedies pretty terrible - stuff like Big Bang Theory (the laugh track puts me off so much), Two and a Half Men, and from the UK side shit like Not Going Out or Mrs Brown's Boys. I dislike any reality TV show which is just about someone's life, like the Kardashians or the Osbournes, and I don't like most talent shows either as they always add in fucking sob stories to manipulate the audience.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Viva La Bam and the two or three other spinoffs of his.

Bam can't carry a show on his own. He was always best when playing off the Jackass crew, otherwise he just acts like a spoiled douche in front of the camera for half an hour.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Every single reality show just about. The UK goes fucking mental for them and as one finishes the next one starts.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still not sure how The Big Bang Theory managed to pull off 12 seasons. Besides being a cringefest of "comedy" with the laugh track being used every other sentence, it also gets old very, very quickly.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The Bachelor/ette maybe?

Hasn't only like two couples in 20 seasons actually made it?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
always wondered how Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ever managed to get so big. Like it's the stupidest sounding concept, but it's massive.

This isn't a criticism of the franchise btw I do like it, I just find the concept of it bizarre
If you have Netflix check out The Toys That Made Us' TMNT episode. While focused more on the toy development, it's a deep dive to the road there and the toyline is intregal.

Afterwards check out the He-Man episode. Bunch of rogues.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Yeah, seems to be. You can not like half the shows being mentioned but still see why they made an impact. Almost as if appealing to a wide audience gets you a wide audience or something.
This is true, of course. But for me, with something like Big Bang, I've always been genuinely baffled by how anyone likes it or, worse, finds it funny. It gets so many things wrong and most of the "laughs" are cheap/easy. It just seems like a stereotype being shallowly mined for 12 years.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Any popular reality show
Walking Dead

And I don't know how "big" it got, but my wife has been watching the series 'Suits' and it might be the worst show I've ever seen. It's so fucking stupid and takes itself so seriously.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Rick & Morty. It is not complete trash but I cannot understand the fervent adoration some have for it.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Any show on the CW. Holy shit that channel is bad. Also most every comedy on CBS. I assume those shows are aimed at old people given they all have a laugh track to let viewers know that something was supposed to be funny.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
This is true, of course. But for me, with something like Big Bang, I've always been genuinely baffled by how anyone likes it or, worse, finds it funny. It gets so many things wrong and most of the "laughs" are cheap/easy. It just seems like a stereotype being shallowly mined for 12 years.
/shrug. I find it funny, or at least, the early seasons. It's a brainless sitcom.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Star Wars. Just...don't get it. They're great movies but all the fandom that came from it? Meh.

I like my weaboo shit so I can't talk.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Maybe that's the thing - it went too long or something? I never saw it in the early days, but I'm sure it was sharper.
Yeah. The earlier seasons had a bit more snap to them, and the characters didn't seem as complacent in their mannerisms. It was nice seeing things change, like Sheldon hooking up with Amy or whatever, but no one grows all that much, so by even the middle seasons, it begins to feel pretty static. I generally like the dynamic everyone has, though I never saw much of the last like three seasons. By then most of the jokes stopped landing.

The few episodes I have seen from the last season did have some good moments, but I saw them after not seeing the show for some time. I think it's one of those things where it's played so much that you get kind of numb to it, so if you quit and come back later, it feels a little bit more fresh. Or maybe just nostalgic given how long it's been going.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Invader Zim.

I didn't laugh, I found it to be trying too hard to be "edgy" bitter and mean-spirited, I didn't like the voice acting, and plenty others.