• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
bad

Replace "twitter" with "this thread"
I don't follow. Are you suggesting that people don't say/think what I wrote?

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
"X game is not worth full price beacuse *totally arbitrary reason*"

(before the game even comes out or review drop)

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah because I am gaining a lot by lying to strangers on the internet. Lol grow up

Or maybe you're trying so hard to use this picture for a long time now hmmm
The image is not about lying or anything. It is about getting worked up over nothing. It's kind of a funny phenomenon, and some of the responses in this thread reminded me of it.

For you specifically, is this really something you see regularly enough you've grown "tired of hearing" it? I imagine it's usually some form of "everyone should play Souls at some point in their life" and you've heard someone say literally what's in your post maybe once. If I'm wrong and you really do see that a lot, where? From who?

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Some games that were great in their era no longer "hold up".

In my view: If it was great then, it is great today.

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
The image is not about lying or anything. It is about getting worked up over nothing. It's kind of a funny phenomenon, and some of the responses in this thread reminded me of it.

For you specifically, is this really something you see regularly enough you've grown "tired of hearing" it? I imagine it's usually some form of "everyone should play Souls at some point in their life" and you've heard someone say literally what's in your post maybe once. If I'm wrong and you really do see that a lot, where? From who?
Oh so you're living my life now and hearing/reading what I do too? This is amazing!

All of my friends and random people on Twitter always tells me the same thing. Random tweets being retweeted too

I don't even know why I am wasting my time explaining. Don't care if you believe it or not, I don't give a damn honestly sorry

"I'm a free speech absolutionist that only makes my opinion heard in matters of censored anime panties"

"turn based combat is obsolete"

"could X be a Y killer?"

"I don't think I can relate to playing as a woman/minority"

Also the weird disdain this community has for anime as a concept. I'm not talking about the ironic "anime was a mistake" meme, But the tendency to use the word as a generic derogative.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
X game is too long / "I don't have enough time for long games "

I don't have a lot of time to play games either but if it's good enough I will take the time. It sometimes takes me several months to beat a game but that's fine if it's good. I don't see the difference in a certain period of time if I've played one good game or 4 good games.

to me there is a difference between a game that overstays its welcome and a game that is just long. Sometimes 10 hour games feel too long and 40 hour games don't feel long enough.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
"RE4's gameplay hasn't aged well ."

I've been playing the Wii version of RE4 on Dolphin emulator recently (Xbox pad, not motion controls) and the game still controls like a dream. And I'm really nitpicky when it comes to the game feel.

The Ultimate HD Edition controls like ass, tho. They screwed up the aiming and default controls which is a shame because most of the newcomers try that version and judge the game by playing a half assed effort of a port.

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
What I am most tired of seeing is apple to oranges comparisons. The recent KOTOR vs Force Unleashed thread is a perfect example for what I am talking about. 2 games from entirely different genres and time periods being pitted together makes so little sense to me that I have nothing to even add to the "conversation" or lack thereof.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Basing a developer's ability to deliver a particular type of game based entirely on the genre/gameplay style of their past output.

If it's completely left-field I can maybe understand it, but I've seen concern over a developer delivering a game in a different perspective because "they're not a third/first-person dev", let alone a different genre. Which is wild to me.

Oct 25, 2017
"What's a gaming-related opinion you are tired of hearing?"

*people post gaming-related opinions they are tired of hearing*

Trigonometrize:

What are you even on about?
I'm on about many of the opinions expressed in this thread I find unbelievable you've seen them with enough frequency that you've grown tired of them. When I made a post in the thread, I posted about a cliche appraisal of a sequel as being "more of the first game." I deliberately drew on this sentiment because (a) I see it expressed frequently to the point where it wears on me a bit (b) I see it on this forum, making it more relevant (c) I think it's a phrase that seems acceptable enough on the surface but I have misgivings about its utility that maybe others haven't thought of (d) I feel like the sentiment as I described doesn't misrepresent or exaggerate how you'll commonly see it used. Due to the totality of these factors, I thought it was worth bringing up. Even though the thread topic appears pretty broad, I like to think posters are thinking about these kinds of factors when they post about something. I don't think the posts in my mega-quote met some or all of the factors I just laid out so I thought they were worth criticizing.

So your post was about indie games not counting / not being real games. I assume when you mean not counting you mean for awards purposes.

Let's go through my list:
(a) you see this with general frequency
I kind of doubt it. This kind of thinking feels like it's from like 2008-era gaming where digital games and physical games were in their own separate classes of games in how we talked about them. By 2012 when a game like Journey won tons of GOTY awards and by 2013 when all console games were digitally avaialble, this thinking died down pretty quickly. If the circles you run in you still see this, OK, but it seems like VERY pretty fringe thinking, even for more normie spaces. Even you must be able to acknowledge that, right?
(b) you see this with frequency on Era
not that you made this claim specifically but we can pretty much strike this one entirely. Anybody who expressed this would immediately get piled on, if it ever happens. We can call this N/A
(c) value in bringing it up
Everyone reading this thread knows indie games are games so we can call this N/A as well
(d) does it represent the opinion well
Hmmm... I can believe there are some people that would literally say indie games are not real games. Less so that they shouldn't count for awards purposes. I imagine it's usually more in the form of "indie games don't deliver on the same high-quality experiences of traditionally funded games." Your comment was more on the margin than some of the others that I quoted, so let's put it this way: if your opinion you've grown tired of looked more like that, you wouldn't have been on the list. Especially if there was more talk about people aren't more forward with their aversion to indie games for arbitrary reasons, which I actually think is a real thing.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The idea that modern Assassin's Creed and Odyssey in particular is a massive grind and secretly pay to win. Yes, they sell experience boosters. Yes, these are dumb. No, you don't need them. No, you never did. No, that does not mean you need to clear every radiant quest you come across. Just check the quest board, pick up the quests that reward massive experience and complete them. No, this is not a grind because these quests are intended to be completed as you follow the story, hunt cultists or simply explore.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
1 - Insert X old game didn't sell, therefore the franchise would definitely sell worse nowadays and should stay dead. Bonus points if the game in question was more than 15 years ago.

2 - You are literally wrong if you think Zelda BotW's weapon degradation system is anything other than a work of utter genius that was carefully honed to prevent players hoarding strong weapons, if you took it any other way it's entirely your fault and you played the game incorrectly.

3 - Absolutely anything anime is pervy trash and you must be a creep if you like it - especially Vtubers, if you watch them it's because you're horny.

4 - Mario games should never have a story beyond save Peach from Bowser, even if it is entirely optional. Yes, a series that constantly evolves the genre in new directions should forever stay stuck in the 80s in terms of plot.

5 - Sonic was never good.

6 - Stop complaining about game prices rising, SNES games were $80 and had way less content!

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on about many of the opinions expressed in this thread I find unbelievable you've seen them with enough frequency that you've grown tired of them. When I made a post in the thread, I posted about a cliche appraisal of a sequel as being "more of the first game." I deliberately drew on this sentiment because (a) I see it expressed frequently to the point where it wears on me a bit (b) I see it on this forum, making it more relevant (c) I think it's a phrase that seems acceptable enough on the surface but I have misgivings about its utility that maybe others haven't thought of (d) I feel like the sentiment as I described doesn't misrepresent or exaggerate how you'll commonly see it used. Due to the totality of these factors, I thought it was worth bringing up. Even though the thread topic appears pretty broad, I like to think posters are thinking about these kinds of factors when they post about something. I don't think the posts in my mega-quote met some or all of the factors I just laid out so I thought they were worth criticizing.

So your post was about indie games not counting / not being real games. I assume when you mean not counting you mean for awards purposes.

I kind of doubt it. This kind of thinking feels like it's from like 2008-era gaming where digital games and physical games were in their own separate classes of games in how we talked about them. By 2012 when a game like Journey won tons of GOTY awards and by 2013 when all console games were digitally avaialble, this thinking died down pretty quickly. If the circles you run in you still see this, OK, but it seems like VERY pretty fringe thinking, even for more normie spaces. Even you must be able to acknowledge that, right?
not that you made this claim specifically but we can pretty much strike this one entirely. Anybody who expressed this would immediately get piled on, if it ever happens. We can call this N/A
Everyone reading this thread knows indie games are games so we can call this N/A as well
Hmmm... I can believe there are some people that would literally say indie games are not real games. Less so that they shouldn't count for awards purposes. I imagine it's usually more in the form of "indie games don't deliver on the same high-quality experiences of traditionally funded games." Your comment was more on the margin than some of the others that I quoted, so let's put it this way: if your opinion you've grown tired of looked more like that, you wouldn't have been on the list. Especially if there was more talk about people aren't more forward with their aversion to indie games for arbitrary reasons, which I actually think is a real thing.

Imagine accusing people of getting worked up over nothing and then writing a fucking full essay about it. Lmao.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
"Sonic games where never good"

Imagine living in a fucking fantasy world like the people who say shit like this.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
"Games are just not as good as they used to be"

Nah, it's just that gaming with severe depression is more difficult.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Some games that were great in their era no longer "hold up".

In my view: If it was great then, it is great today.
Some games definitely don't age well and playing them now vs release you probably won't like it as much. Like MGS3 for example, it's my favorite game ever, likely will always be, but if I played it for the first time today the controls would likely completely kill my enjoyment and I wouldn't really blame anyone for thinking so. Stuff like that is what people mean by that usually I think.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

It's not about awards at all. I can only be brief for now but for example, someone says "there's nothing coming out for this console anytime soon" to which people say, no, look there's xyz game. Then the first person responds with something like, they only play AAA so the suggestion doesn't count.

Or someone might ask for a game that features a certain style of gameplay mechanic etc. and then dismiss a game that fits their description simply because it's "indie". There are also people who seem to believe all "indie games are the same" and they're all use 8/16-bit graphical styles

Oct 25, 2017
Some games definitely don't age well and playing them now vs release you probably won't like it as much. Like MGS3 for example, it's my favorite game ever, likely will always be, but if I played it for the first time today the controls would likely completely kill my enjoyment and I wouldn't really blame anyone for thinking so. Stuff like that is what people mean by that usually I think.
It really just comes down to a game "aging" in like the objective sense of its style of mechanics and controls have been replaced in newer games, can never be a direct criticism of the old style. People expect something more than "it's old and I like the new style more"

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020

I pretty much always just roll my eyes any time someone brings up old controls or games in that respect because it takes all of 15 minutes to get acclimated again (or like 45 minutes considering the length of the opening in MGS3). Modern controls aren't some picture perfect solution and MGS3 in particular was very different even compared to other PS2 games. Kojima typically has differing control schemes compared to his contemporaries. Unless the controls were actually unbelievably complicated like say Gunvalkyrie, which was called out for its controls even at release, I have a very hard time believing people couldn't just get comfortable.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Mario games are overrated because they have the name Mario on them.

[Whatever] is inevitable.

"[GAME] doesn't respect my time."

This isn't a legitimate criticism and reeks of entitlement. The onus is on the player to respect their own time and to play games that fit their lifestyle. The other way around is unworkable.

Agreed.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It really just comes down to a game "aging" in like the objective sense of its style of mechanics and controls have been replaced in newer games, can never be a direct criticism of the old style. People expect something more than "it's old and I like the new style more"
That is fair it's to be expected really with how games are made and what works get improved upon and fine tuned, it's aging is just far easier to say it. Comparing it to what's new directly, like it's not as good as X, would be silly, but saying it just doesn't control well, so I didn't like it or you mightn't is fine. Though I mean MGS3's controls were kinda not great to begin with, so it's aged and had problems to begin with, especially the original version.

Last edited:

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Rallying around souls borne games, that somehow Xbox Live is better than PC online because you have to pay for it. Xbox Live is good but it's not because people pay for it... Souls games might be good but they aren't for everyone...

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
"Bethesda should fit their engine and start fresh"

Fuck no. Their open world games and their success is due in part to their unique engine. No other open world RPG does what their games do.

"Bethesda needs a new engine, this one is old!"

Yeah, this right here. People saying this kind of stuff drives me up the wall. Its abit less prevelant on resetera, but its everywhere on the hellspace that is reddit.

People that have clearly no clue about game development talking about engines is always so cringe, when they clearly dont even understand what an engine is. You hear it so often "X feature in game is due to the engine" or "X bug in game is due to the engine". No, it isnt.

If you have a semi-decent engine (which all modern 3D engines basically are) and are a compenent developer, an engine doesnt define your game in any meaningful way and it certainly isnt responsible for bug X or feature Y. An engine is just a tool, nothing more. What matters is what you do with it.