• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
BOTW is the best Zelda game in years/It's the best 3D Zelda.

I significantly prefer 3D Zelda over 2D, but I honestly feel like A Link Between Worlds was a much better Zelda title than BOTW. It did non-linear Zelda extremely well while still retaining as many aspects of the series as possible.

BOTW is good, but it's near the bottom of where I would rank 3D Zelda games largely because it lacks a lot of what I enjoy the series for.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Souls games are for weirdo masochists who only play them for gamer cred.

1) They're fun actually
2) Why would I want gamer cred, ew

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
"X game has aged poorly".
"Just play the newest game in the series, it's the best one".

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
- Souls games already have an easy mode. They have (insert whatever build/summon here).

Doesn't really make them any more accessible and more options are good. Would an easy mode or modifiers really ruin your enjoyment because they simply exist for others?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I'd prefer that people properly sort "bad gameplay design" and "gameplay design that I don't like".
Ya. There very little to any critical analysis of why game mechanics/systems are they way they are in the context of broader games, what makes them work or not work in that context, and what the trade offs are. Idk, that the most interesting part of games! Thats what makes games unique!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Anything calling a mechanic, style or game idea archaic. Instead of having decades of different brushes from which we can paint video games, people want to throw entire brushes in the trash.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
"VR is a fad/gimmick/needs to die/will always be niche/you're a cult member if you defend it/they are privilege goggles/no good games"

Jan 11, 2018
Calling tank controls bad.
Calling silent protagonists bad.
_________ (traditionally non open world series) should go open world.
Calling Ratchet & Clank a platformer
Prioritizing remakes over brand new games
Insisting _______ (design choice or mechanic) should stay back in _______ (year it was popular)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
That portables are bad hardware because they aren't as good at resolution/frame rates etc as a dedicated, wired up home console that's five times the size and twice the price. It's like calling a home console a hardware failure for not also being portable.

That turn-based computer games are an archaic result of hardware limitations or some other disproven nonsense in a world full of amazing tabletop turn-based games.

smug chocobo

Aug 30, 2018
The Nintendoomed cycle of discussion is so, so tiresome. I was real sick of galaxy brain takes a few years ago about how Nintendo should just get over themselves and shift to mobile game dev already.

bluswimmer

Dec 9, 2020
ET for the Atari 2600 being declared "the worst game of all time." I feel like this opinion is often parroted by people who have never played the game. It's not very fun, but from a technical standpoint it's a functional video game.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Not necessarily a gaming opinion but when anyone says "and it's not even close" when it comes to games, like come on

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
Hype Trains...... and then the anger/rage when the game doesn't live up to your expectations.

Jan 3, 2019
Is this one of those threads where you just post one of your hot takes as fact? Cause I got a few

I hate the opinion I keep hearing that the PS5 had a decent launch lineup. It has 2 games.
I hate the opinion that the PS3 generation didn't have way more games than the PS4's
Let's not forget "Ocarina is still the best game ever"

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
my major gripes have been mentioned already. something minor, but kind of annoying - gameplay loop. if people criticize gameplay loop it makes me think you need to have shit constantly thrown at you, pressing buttons, in order to enjoy a game. like you might be the kind of person to call a game a walking simulator if you aren't constantly killing shit.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Any legend of belda type argument

The most insane version I saw in this goddamn forum was someone who hated that Mario odyssey is as liked as the Mario galaxy games and said "people only like odyssey cause it's a Mario game"

That's right, someone did the belda argument to prop up another fucking Mario game

Shamanoski

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 17, 2021
"If you haven't played the Souls games that means you haven't really experienced anything"

Alright bruv.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
He's not a soldier and he's in a scary situation, so it's perfectly understandable that it takes him the better part of a minute to turn around.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ET for the Atari 2600 being declared "the worst game of all time." I feel like this opinion is often parroted by people who have never played the game. It's not very fun, but from a technical standpoint it's a functional video game.
Yeah, there are much worse games out there. And on a related note, people often parrot bullshit about the NA console crash era like saying video games died out. Anyone who was there and played more than just console games remembers all the notable computer and arcade releases in the mid '80s.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely agree with the OP, that statement always rubs me the wrong way, especially when it appears on a video game enthusiast forum. Just feels like people trying to get a rise/seem more "cultured", it's silly.

"Guilty Pleasure" is something I've grown to dislike for similar reasons. Just say you enjoy something, you might find some new friends that way.

"All Ubisoft games are bad" without playing any of them over the past decade. Drag their upper management till they fire Yves, absolutely, but the artists and writers and game designers deserve a lot more credit than being painted with a broad brush.

In general, if something is popular and selling well, there's usually legitimate reasons behind it, even if you personally dislike it. See: literally every popular thing. And no, that doesn't make the people who do like it lesser than you.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
Any variation of "turn-based is outdate/only existed because of technical limitations"

Second claim is dubious at best, and regardless I don't go wishing genres I don't care for to die out

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
"Phil Spencer is my friend and he loves us all and does only pro-consumer choices."
LMAO
He is just a great PR. ALL companies care about money first and foremost.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"Mario shouldn't be so hairy that he hears the crackling of static electricity when he puts on his overalls."

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
"Why are there film effects/color grading in this game, the in game camera is supposed to be my eyes and my eyes don't have those"

Video game cameras are a dang abstraction that don't precisely mimic either eyes or video cameras, games can apply whatever visual effects they want to achieve a desired overall look.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
X game does something I enjoy therefore all games must do this now. Game mechanic Y is outdated and must never happen again.

Basically I dislike takes that sound like they want to make games all conform to thier set standards because who needs variety right?

Oct 27, 2017
"This Game is outdated/old and needs a Remake."

Fuck that line of thinking soo much

Calling tank controls bad.
Calling silent protagonists bad.
_________ (traditionally non open world series) should go open world.
Calling Ratchet & Clank a platformer
Prioritizing remakes over brand new games
Insisting _______ (design choice or mechanic) should stay back in _______ (year it was popular)

I'm glad I wasn't the first to express this.

Especially over the past year, the constant clamouring for remakes has been horribly obnoxious and grating, and the targets for remakes seem to make less and less sense. Games released in the freaking 7th generation that already have PC ports and can run at 4K, for example, don't need remakes for crying out loud. Their continued reliance has become little more than a testament to how risk averse and creatively stagnant publishers have become over the past generation. It seems that in order for a dormant or lesser known IP that was once beloved to continue, it needs a remake first, it can't simply be a direct continuation of a past release.

Other opinions that I'm sick of hearing is thoughts like Sony's first party really came into their own during the PS4 generation and have never been better. Somewhat related, a whole slew of narratives that often times disparage the 7th generation as a whole, especially the idea that it was the generation of brown and grey and muddy, piss filters etc. which to me reflects that people played too many of a certain kind of game while ignoring the many exceptions. That generation has a lot greater diversity, both in artstyle and genre, than it's given credit.

The stain that follows Phantom Pain as a game with a bad story, which is pure bollocks.

The notion that the Switch's lack of media capabilities is the necessary price for its responsive and easy to use UI, as if those two are mutually exclusive.