• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
"Video game stories don't matter because they aren't as good as movies or books".

I hear this so much and it's always so myopic. In books and movies the story is always happening to other people. In video games the story is happening to you. You are simultaneously the actor and the co-author of the story. That fundamentally changes the dynamic of the storytelling. Comparing the story in games to that of other mediums is futile when the storytelling experience is different in every medium.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
That Mario Odyssey is the best Mario or that it's even a good game.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
"X game is the best game ever!!!!!"
No, it isn't, it's your favorite and that's ok but it's by no definition the factual best.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'd prefer that people properly sort "bad gameplay design" and "gameplay design that I don't like".

Example: People saying that weapon degradation in BOTW is "bad". Nope, lol, it's the opposite.

Example: I absolutely despise Death Stranding and I think it's the worst big budget game I've ever played, but it's gameplay systems are designed well and for people that like them, the game truly shines for them.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is cheating, but:

Any variant of "Is it just me or am I the only person who thinks [Hades, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima, any Mario game, any Zelda, any MGS, any Final Fantasy, fucking ANY GAME] sucks"

No, you're not. It's fine to dislike popular things. This does not make you special, and it does not make you a pariah. It is, in fact, normal.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the game would be called Belda it wouldn't get those good scores.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
That turn-based games are "outdated" and that every franchise that has turn-based combat needs to switch to something more action-based.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
"How can you not like Nintendo? You must not like games".

Tired as fuuuuuuck.

That turn-based games are "outdated" and that every franchise that has turn-based combat needs to switch to something more action-based.
This too. I might be a less than capable human being when it comes to WRPG's, but I feel better knowing that I won't demand Pillars of Eternity to become Devil May Cry.

OP
OP
Arion

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
If the game would be called Belda it wouldn't get those good scores.
oh yeah this one is especially bad and by extension "no one would like this game if it wasn't made by nintendo/sony/kojma/etc". the game would not be what it is if it wasn't made by those people so of course people wouldn't like it the same way.

Oct 31, 2017
"iN-gAmE gRaPhIcS aRe GoOd EnOuGh We DoNt NeEd CgI"

"cGi RuInS mY iMmErSiOn bEcAuSe My BiKiNi aNd GiAnT UmBreLla SwOrD dOnT sHoW uP iN cUtScEnEs bUt PoP-iN, cLiPpInG, fRaMeRaTe DiPs, ScReEn-TeArInG, aNd gEnErAl JaNk DoNt RuIn My ImMeRsIoN"

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
A lot of these replies are just unpopular opinion, which isn't there already a thread for that?

EDIT: Replies have gotten better so disregard.

"Video game stories don't matter because they aren't as good as movies or books".

I hear this so much and it's always so myopic. In books and movies the story is always happening to other people. In video games the story is happening to you. You are simultaneously the actor and the co-author of the story. That fundamentally changes the dynamic of the storytelling. Comparing the story in games to that of other mediums is unnecessary when the storytelling methods are different in every medium.
I mean, I haven't heard anyone say that video game stories don't matter.

I've heard that video game stories aren't as good as books or movies, and I would agree with that precisely because of what you mention: video games are a unique medium with their own strengths. There's not many video game stories that utilize the strengths of video games as a storytelling medium in an effective way. When they don't leverage the unique aspects of video games it just comes across as a story that's not as good or convincing as other forms of entertainment.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
"It's unsustainable" I hear for years now that development of current AAA games is unsustainable and it will all come crashing down, but it just doesn't happen. I dunno maybe it's sustainable after all.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh a ton, too many to list tbh. First post in particular is one I hate hearing. 'X game is better than Y' game is another that's just so overused.

Honestly my limit for what I consider to be 'bad' posts is just so low these days. So many people on this forum are on my ignore list because I see a shit ass opinion and I just can't be bothered to even see it.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
"The game's not for you," specifically to people who bought the damn game and are earnestly trying to engage the game and raising criticisms. Nobody appointed you gatekeeper of who a game is or is not "for."

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
-Sony games are all alike
-There's no talent left at BioWare
-X game is only Y hours long, it's not worth full price

Just off the top of my head.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I'm kinda upset with the reaction to Doom Eternal on this forum. So many are saying things that really aren't true if you play the game through. The constant lies about weakpoints break up the speed of the game for one. That only happens early game with no upgrades. Towards the end game, you're able to freestyle and do as you please.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
"Why can't they just put in a third person mode?"
Probably something in the ballpark of 90% of video games utilize some variety of third person camera, stop fucking complaining about the handful of games that don't.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
In books and movies the story is always happening to other people. In video games the story is happening to you. You are simultaneously the actor and the co-author of the story.
What? If I create my character, maybe, otherwise no. There wasn't that many games that let you impacted the story.
I wouldn't followed "the plan" if I had a say of the story of Arthur Morgan. In fact, I am tired of hearing RDR 2 has the best story in gaming.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Sonic/Sega was never good". That goes beyond bad opinion and into fanboy agenda revisionist history territory.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
'Nintendo cares about there consumers and i loved them as a child they are always pro consumer/can do no wrong'

They are a business. Appearing pro consumer is how they keep there fans buying new consoles. I enjoy nintendo games but they are a business. If they could get away with some of the shit activision and ea pull, they would.

Some of the mental gymnastics that very hardcore nintendo fans do to defend some of their shitty business practises will never not astound me.

Also any opinion about how the quality of games has gotten worse. Games quite frankly are better then ever.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
- Games need to explain everything and can't be ambiguous or let the player make their own conclusions.
- Walking simulator games don't feature gameplay.
- Excited to see how this can be refined in the sequel.
- Elements that were featured in older games are dated and untenable, simply because they're old. (Fixed cameras, tank controls, turn-based combat etc)
- Controls, movement and elements of gameplay should be homogenous across similar games.