• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
those guys getting hit by the arrow and flying like it was a pump shotgun really irks me man :/

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Imagine playing in the black and white mode with the film grain, feeling the Kurosawa vibes, and you strike an enemy down...

and it ragdolls.

No thank you. I'll take canned animations.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen footage of GoT? This is a AAA-ass game on every level.

In what world would budget be a concern, especially with something as commonplace as ragdoll physics for death animations?

It's a whole system which requires a dedicated team for the 5 years it's been in development for. That's not cheap.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bitching about something you haven't seen the finished product of at a time when it's too late to change anything is your idea of helping improve the product? That's friggin rich.

Also answer me devs threads are a complete douche move too, so stay classy.
It's not that serious of a thread. Even the OP admits that it's a personal nitpick and doesn't claim that the game is RUINED FOREVER or anything. You are bringing weird unwarranted aggression into a small talk.

jman912

Dec 31, 2018
Why do I feel like you've made this thread before?
This is probably the thread you're thinking of.
www.resetera.com

What was the most hype-deflating piece of information about a highly anticipated game release that you learned close to launch?

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of Ghost of Tsushima for years since its initial reveal. At times the wait has been painful as my excitement was too much to contain. I'm someone who has been pining for a grounded, ninja-stealth game with AAA production values since forever, and GoT was...

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
This is probably the thread you're thinking of.
www.resetera.com

What was the most hype-deflating piece of information about a highly anticipated game release that you learned close to launch?

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of Ghost of Tsushima for years since its initial reveal. At times the wait has been painful as my excitement was too much to contain. I'm someone who has been pining for a grounded, ninja-stealth game with AAA production values since forever, and GoT was...
Wow made the same thread twice.

Nov 4, 2017
I imagine it's some combination of stylistic choice and saving precious computational power on a dated piece of hardware. While it's clunky when it fails, I think it looks cool when it works right. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me.

those guys getting hit by the arrow and flying like it was a pump shotgun really irks me man :/
Even a shotgun wouldn't send somebody flying like that. Projectiles are not designed to send the target flying, they are typically designed to disperse their energy inside the target, causing maximum damage. If the projectile leaves the body or pushes it back, you've wasted a heap of energy on not damaging your target. (Source: I was on a jury for the trial of somebody who literally blew somebody else's brains out with a shotgun)

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I don't know and it doesn't really matter to me. I think this a silly detail that will be massively overlooked for almost everyone. As long as the dead bodies don't lose their physics and don't act like they have no mass I'm fine.

Apr 3, 2020
yeah i wanna say i read that somewhere, that they were working on tools that make them more dynamic or sommit
But yet they went with approache different than the two (blood explosion, no blood). I only wish if we have the option to toggle such effect as a homage like why the made the white&black filter. But I guess need more work than a filter.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Imagine playing in the black and white mode with the film grain, feeling the Kurosawa vibes, and you strike an enemy down...

and it ragdolls.

No thank you. I'll take canned animations.
This is the answer but some people are just incapable of accepting it for some reason.

The death animations (and the entire game) are a tribute to the Kurosawa samurai films and ragdoll physics would get in the way of that.

I guess this is what happens when game developers try to get "artistic"

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
This is the answer but some people are just incapable of accepting it for some reason.

The death animations (and the entire game) are a tribute to the Kurosawa samurai films and ragdoll physics would get in the way of that.

So then why did the Infamous games have those pre-canned death animations too?

What were they trying to tribute there lmao.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

i remember batman takedowns in Kurosawa films too

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So then why did the Infamous games have those pre-canned death animations too?

What were they trying to tribute there lmao.
Exactly. This thread is about ALL of their games lacking ragdoll physics. I just used GoT as the primary example in the OP because it's their most recent project.

Also, some people in here don't realize that you can have a dramatic hand-keyed animation that transitions into a procedural one at the end so the body realistically conforms to the environment after it falls to the ground. That's a very common implementation these days and would look SO much better.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE: New footage from the final build.

Yep, as expected we're still looking at canned animations with no IK or procedural animation blended in to have the bodies conform to the environment. I hate it. I fucking hate it.

Look at the final kill, how the guy dies right near the edge of the cliff but just falls in a pre-determined fashion and essentially hits an invisible wall where the cliff's edge would be. If there was procedural animation employed his body would've fallen over the edge, which would've been much more dynamic and visually satisfying for combat like this.

I'm still getting this game day 1, but this one thing is a huge blemish on what was primed to be my dream game.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
aAZprAH.gif

From the final build. Just... why? What would a AAA studio making a game of this caliber in terms of overall presentation and budget not make use of procedural animation or animation blending of any kind? It makes the game look incredibly dated from an animation perspective and clashes heavily with the otherwise great looking assets.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let it go man, you keep bumping the thread. It really comes across like you're looking to stir up some unnecessary rage from people and want them to rally to you but its not worth it.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Maybe they don't like ragdoll for their game, maybe their engine doesn't support ragdoll, maybe they have problems to find a way to combine ragdoll with their preferred animations...

Yes, not every game has ragdoll. Would it be nice? Maybe... i think it will not hinder the gameplay.
Also they chosed not to do pick up animations, you can pick up things without picking it actually up.
It is a design decision.

Last edited:

kevinking94

Oct 28, 2017
Ive had the same thought OP. It doesnt bother me too much, but if there was a choice Id much rather hav ragdoll physics haha blowing people off rooftops in second son wouldve been amazing with ragdolls

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It ruined gaming for me the same way Spiderman's puddles did. I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy things anymore 😔

For reals though, I didn't even notice it until I saw these gifs. I probably won't notice it when I actually play too.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
aAZprAH.gif

From the final build. Just... why? What would a AAA studio making a game of this caliber in terms of overall presentation and budget not make use of procedural animation or animation blending of any kind? It makes the game look incredibly dated from an animation perspective and clashes heavily with the otherwise great looking assets.

I agree the headshot was bad, the sword death looks fine. This is hilariously bad.

Oct 25, 2017
You've already admitted most people aren't going to care as much as you do, and you e made almost the exact the thread once before, why jump the gun if you don't need to? It weakens your argument and makes seem even more like you're just looking for something to be mad about.
Yep, my take on this exactly.

From the footage, it's clear this is deliberate. They'd rather "design" how an enemy dies rather than leave a flimsy ragdoll float to the ground, and I agree. Almost 75% time, ragdolling is an exercise in comedy.

It seems like you're really broken up over this OP, I would vote with your wallet and avoid Sucker Punch games until they address this grievance.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
They're very much going for film like deaths in that genre... from the Twitch leak, theres some other animation issues though, the canned death stuff is fine from what I've seen.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
It's part of the genre. Everyone dies before realising they've died and then staggers clutching their bleeding wound until collapsing dramatically.

I fucking love it.

Oct 25, 2017
The death animation in GoT looks great and I love it. I remember when OP went into the valorant thread and said the lack of ragdoll physics invalidates the entire game . I don't really get it but I guess I gotta respect OP for being so passionate about something I would typically never even think about.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
So I saw a talk from one of the producers at SP way back in the day, and he was telling a story from waaaay back in the day working on Sly, and they actually tried ragdoll all the way back then... and he said it was super depressing watching these colorful cartoon critters just collapse to the ground. So they changed to cartoonier canned animations to make it look less violent and, y'know, traumatic.

No idea if that very early experience with ragdoll in any way colors the studio's current efforts, but I thought it was a fun story and vaguely relevant.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
So I saw a talk from one of the producers at SP way back in the day, and he was telling a story from waaaay back in the day working on Sly, and they actually tried ragdoll all the way back then... and he said it was super depressing watching these colorful cartoon critters just collapse to the ground. So they changed to cartoonier canned animations to make it look less violent and, y'know, traumatic.

No idea if that very early experience with ragdoll in any way colors the studio's current efforts, but I thought it was a fun story and vaguely relevant.
That's interesting, and might be an actual answer - "studio tradition". Which is probably unsatisfying to OP, but is quite often the most honest answer.

Separately, I think people are overlooking that most games have ragdoll in some extent and make it look good. We didn't always have IK and it was janky at first, but it's kind of a must nowadays. I think it's ok to not care that much (I don't really), but poopooing the technology just because one studio decided not to use it (and not for any really obvious compelling artistic or technological reasons) seems silly. But a little suspension of disbelief never hurt anyone, I guess. Well. Maybe.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Derogatory Rhetoric
2753065-1202688343-mxBHg.gif

omg the animations are terrible 0/10 bad vidya gamez reeeeeeeeee

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Real talk?

They used to have a "Havok Guy", as in a former Havok programmer who was really good at his job and could help them navigate some of the finer points of the admittedly not-entirely-well-supported system. This guy worked there through the release of Infamous: Second Sun.

I haven't checked in with my friend who works there lately (we moved to different parts of the greater Seattle area and then the COVID thing cooked off), but I'm pretty sure that guy no longer works there, and they haven't really been able to get up to speed in terms of a plug-and-play or bespoke solution.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they're rough, but not every developer can be good at animations.

If anything they're worthy of a chuckle (And I'm sure we'll get even more gifs once people play it) but it won't impede the game.

I'm sure they won't be doing this again next gen.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
100% agree, the guy jumping up and flailing with his legs when getting shot by an arrow looks so ridiculous and comedic it took me out of the gameplay trailer immediately. If this didn't release during my vacation (I want something to play) I'd wait and hope for a patch before buying it.

How they let this specific animation all the way to release is making me question both Sony and SP.
This is supposed to be a stylish game and this is the opposite of that.. oh well, hopefully I can get used to it or I just won't use my favorite weapon in the game all that often..

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
100% agree, the guy jumping up and flailing with his legs when getting shot by an arrow looks so ridiculous and comedic it took me out of the gameplay trailer immediately. If this didn't release during my vacation (I want something to play) I'd wait and hope for a patch before buying it.

How they let this specific animation all the way to release is making me question both Sony and SP.
This is supposed to be a stylish game and this is the opposite of that.. oh well, hopefully I can get used to it or I just won't use my favorite weapon in the game all that often..
In fairness, that's the animation specifically for the heavy arrow. There's a shot in the State of Play footage of a dude getting hit with a normal arrow and he goes down like a sack of bricks, as one would expect.

Not to say that they couldn't have better-animated the heavy arrow impact, because... yeah, there have to be better ways to imply a strong impact. But still, at least you're not going to have to deal with that every time you fire at someone.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
So I couldn't help but notice in the most recent gameplay demonstration of Ghost of Tsushima that the game is making use of repetitive, keyframed death animations rather than ragdoll (or blended keyframe/procedural) ones. As someone who has been eagerly anticipating this game's arrival for years now, this deeply disappointed me. In a game that revolves around stylishly dispatching enemies, whether it be through direct confrontation or sneaky stealth, having enemies dynamically react and conform to their environment upon death is not only important but expected at this point. I just couldn't fathom how or why in god's name Sucker Punch decided to go this ancient, godforsaken animation route for enemy deaths in the year 2020 with such an otherwise massive, polished project.

But then I looked back at all of their previous works and realized that they seemingly never make use of procedural death animations whatsoever. Not a single one of their games has, from what I can tell. What is their deal here? I searched around and couldn't find a single instance of anyone from Sucker Punch commenting on this unfortunate design decision that runs through their entire catalog of work.

First Clip: Note the enemy's stiff body struggling (and failing) to avoid clipping through the ground at the end of the death animation cycle.
Second Clip: The canned reaction to arrow headshots needs no explanation. Just look at it.

Like... why? Just why?! They are a studio that tends to specialize in fluid animation and responsive character interaction with the environment, but then it's all unraveled by these static death animations that hearken back to the pre-ragdoll days of the late 90's and early 3D gaming. I'm sitting here watching footage of one of the PS4's last AAA, uber-polished action-adventure releases that pushes the graphical envelope for the genre in so many ways... and I just saw the same death animation play out for three enemies in a row before their stiff bodies hovered and/or clipped through the uneven terrain beneath them. It's awful!

If I could just get some kind of explanation from someone, anyone at Sucker Punch it'd help me understand this design choice that plagues every single game that they release. Is there anyone from SP that is active here on ERA that might be able to shed some light? I'm sure they have their reasons, and I'd love to hear them.

Because ragdoll or blended keyframes/procedural animations come with their own plethora of issues (clipping, floating, jittering, etc). As a FQA and as a someone who studied 3D animation and digital design at University, animations are among the hardest things to figure out a proper fix for that does not cause any other gameplay-related issues (crashes, hangs, performance drops, etc). Given the art direction they were aiming for, it makes sense for them to use keyframed animations. It allows them to have better control on the results, which also makes it way much easier to fix if an issue does come up. The actual problem with these death animations is the lack of variety in them, which could potentially prove to be easier to implement than the ragdoll or blended keyframes you are going on about. Personally, I don't see any issues with it.

pjl93

Jun 2, 2020
NJ
aAZprAH.gif

I get what you are saying but i find it pretty funny

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
In fairness, that's the animation specifically for the heavy arrow. There's a shot in the State of Play footage of a dude getting hit with a normal arrow and he goes down like a sack of bricks, as one would expect.

Not to say that they couldn't have better-animated the heavy arrow impact, because... yeah, there have to be better ways to imply a strong impact. But still, at least you're not going to have to deal with that every time you fire at someone.
Oh, I must've missed that, thanks for letting me know! Makes me a little bit happier, haha.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it looks like shit, but not everyone is as good as a developer like Rockstar in this regard.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Honestly it might have to do with exactly your point. They have NEVER done it. Once you are stuck in a certain workflow it can be quite hard to change it and maybe their animation department never thought it was worth investing in such a different technology. And remember, it comes at certain performance costs so it influences everyone, not just the animation department.

But I have no idea. I said it before but "grounded" games that then have a bunch of really silly things (like weird animations) always detract me a little from getting the game. Obviously if it's a great game I'll jump in, but it does influence my decision.