• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I know we have a lot of next gen threads by now (and probably a lot more coming), but I couldn't find anything similar. Close if double.

People are talking about a lot of different technical aspects regarding next gen: ray tracing, 60fps, 4K etc.

What stuff are you guys and girls absolutely hoping for? Higher framerates? No more loading times? Bigger open worlds? MP games with 1000 players? Maybe more USB ports? No loading times? 3D audio in all games? Could be anything.

Personally I'm hoping for more immersive experiences and believable worlds: so more NPC's/traffic/enemies (big crowds like AC Unity with proper performance), no more pop-in, larger drawing distances, super dense foliage. Oh and more destruction please. I don't have to pull down complete concrete buildings, but if I fire an RPG on a wooden door or tree, I expect it to get destroyed with lots of particles and nice effects.

So Era, let me know what you want.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Mandatory cross-play on all multiplayer games that are at parity with eachother. Doubt it'll happen but I want it.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Better thumbsticks at launch.

PS4's were bad and the switch's have a case of drifting.

Xbox's were fine, I know some people are picky about them but I like the texture.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice smooth framerates at high resolution, lot more physics and interactivity, games look great today but not a lot happens within them or are constricted as such. Rapid loading, fast menus, asset loading etc. Devs letting loose with the CPU upgrade and SSD if budget allows it. I think we will see some sweet stuff.

That aside, quiet consoles like One S, One X and matte colour, changeable batteries again. Sick of the white colour, black please.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly image quality, also massively improved LOD in open world games, and then loading times. I think especially open world games will see a massive visual and performance boost.

Last edited:

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Load times imprives
60fps games
And 60fps 4K game capture
Quiet fan

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Not sure if I am on Topic but I want every piece of Hardware made by the big 3 to have a portable option.

I dont care about 8k, 60 fps or 1000 NPCs with individual names and stories, my time is valuable and I want to play anywhere.

Basically, PS5 with a peripheral to play my games on to go, I will pay an extra $200~300 to buy said peripheral on top of the standard for-my-TV PS5 hardware

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I want is less patches
But there's probably gonna be more patches

If they make the patches less annoying then I'm okay. Like Black Ops IV patches never download in rest mode because of all the weird space things and the copying took fifty times longer than the download. If they all update at 3:00 AM and I never have to look at it then they can do as many patches as they want imo.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Overall image quality. And I mean that in an all encompassing way. No jitter, no aliasing, no artefacts, no frame pacing, no frame rate drops, no scanlines, no pop in, no jarring and obvious changes in level of detail (LOD) or shadow quality. That last one especially annoying in a game like GT Sport where there's a constant obvious increase in shadow detail a few metres ahead of you. Constantly. It would look better if they just didn't do that at all given the speed you're usually travelling, it's jarring and just silly.

I'm looking forward to the near instant-on approach the new SSD is apparently bringing. Nullifying loading times will be fantastic and probably the best quality of life improvement we will see.

My other huge hope is that we can just get Bluetooth audio support so we can use any decent (or cheap) pair of headphones we want! Enough of buying proprietary one use headphones for the PS5. This going hand in hand with Atmos style proper 3D audio as hinted at by Cerny. Let me use those amazing Sony XM3 headphones.. I'd buy a pair knowing I could pair it with my PS5.

WackoWambo

Jan 11, 2018
1. The ability to toggle Raytracing on vs off.
Look at any of the PC games with RTX, it murders framerate. The option to turn it off in favor of better performance is going to be something I want.

2. USB-C Adoption
I'm tired of having so many different cords. Just put a USB-C port on the console and make it a double ended USB C cord to charge controllers.

3. Crossplay and Crosssave with other platforms

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
My biggest hope is that cross-progress (via account systems like Origin, Bethesda.net etc.) and cross-play will become a standard feature.

Nov 6, 2017
Loading times / SSD is the one thing I have high hopes for.

I really don't care that much about all the over technical stuff. In terms of HW power the games have - for my taste - reached a level of detail I am more than satisfied with. Of course there are a lot of details that can be improves, but in the end I just want fun games. So as a 2nd wish I just hope the high quality output of smaller studios / developers continues on all platforms. It's such a blast what these non-AAA-developers have achieved.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I hope to see a SOCOM reboot where proximity chat is a thing again. If you talk in game to your team and are closer to enemies. They can hear you as well. Socom Confrontation had something like this. I don't care too much about this feature as I do about a possible SOCOM reboot though.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I don't need bigger open worlds. No one does. I need the content to be more fleshed out and varied overall in those worlds.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
  • More responsive OS
  • Longer battery life in controllers
  • Faster loading times
  • Quicker installs
  • Smaller patches
  • More finished products at release
  • Wireless VR
  • Less GaaS/microtransactions/DLC/Seasons/Content Patches ... (I know it will be more, just wishful thinking)
  • Less padding, more focused experiences or open worlds that are actually worth to explore

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I want a Mass Effect or Star Wars open world game where there are no loading times when planet hopping/space traveling. You can see the ascent and descent through the spaceship windows, and you can open the doors as soon as you land and seamlessly step out on the planet/space station. You never lose control of your character. Total immersion. I have been romanticizing this type of experience for years.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-play as a standard in every multi-platform game with multiplayer. Do the usual: The option to opt-out, and match-make by controller option where mouse-aim is involved.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paddles on the controllers.
Better battery life on PS controllers
Decent PSN CDNs
Stream digital games while they download
Partial downloads, I don't want to download multiplayer 90% of the time
Crossplay for all titles
Gorgeous 30fps 1080p games.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing destruction and fluid physics. Persistent destruction so I can level a village and when I come back it is still decimated. Interiors for every building in open-world games and better NPC AI so I can follow people to the grocery store and harass them and have them remember who I am when I see them again and put a restraining order on me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Less monetization and GAAS nonsense. I know it's a pipe dream but gaming feels so hollow nowadays. Who gives a shit about tech improvements if every game is just a blatant cash grab?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Less GaaS and multiplayer, less (preferably none) socializing, less open worlds, less useless filler junk, loot and all that.

...Yeah, it'll be more of all of that, is it?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More dynamic and interactive worlds. In horizon zero dawn 2 i want water to move and behave realistically, i want vegetation to realistically move and sway and react to you moving on and through it, i want mud to slosh around both robots and humans alike.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I want to see more movement. Not just rain and snow. I want to see more things move - lighting, structures everything

Oct 25, 2017
No more paid online. If you want a subscription service, offer an actual service instead of just blocking games from using your internet connection.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
HD rumble was an interesting start, and the new PS5 controller features sound cool. So I hope that next gen execute these new features well (HD rumble, haptic feedback, maybe force feedback could be added too).

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
CPU upgrade and SSDs mean we're guaranteed a big upgrade to open worlds and load times. That's awesome. The things I'd like to see that aren't guaranteed:

Animation quality - motion matching to be a new standard.
Foliage quality - I swear to god tree trunk and branch models today are almost identical in poly count to last gen games like Skyrim. Very few games do these well, and none as well as I'd like.
Tessellation - finally make use of the texture potential Unigine's Heaven benchmark showcased. Would be amazing for... tree branches for example =P

May 13, 2018
$30 games at launch
Every game is an open world game that take no less than 80 hours to complete
Multiplayer in every single game
4K resolution everywhere
Gen lasts AT LEAST 10 years

I want ALL of these things or I'm sticking with my Xbox 360

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Looking forward to see how SSD's will change game design. I want to be able to travel fast, really fast!

I still think FF7 on PS5 will be fucking ridiculous. I think everything will be seamless and in scale.

I've said it before, but I'm hoping to see something kind of like what BG&E2 is doing, gameplay wise.

Here's what I'm talking about. This is what I've been waiting for, for what seems like an enternity. Combined with more immersive, hyperdetailed and dynamic game Worlds... Fuck, next-gen will be good!

The scale and the seamlessness of it all... It blows me away!

Last edited:

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Ironically I want bigger games that fit on one disc eliminating follow up downloads.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Cross play and 60fps in open world games (this one is not going to happen, though).

Oct 25, 2017
Backwards compatibility with PS4 that enhances performance, resolution, image quality, etc.

Fast load times, less waiting around for anything in general.

Performance and resolution modes for every game.

I don't want to see another jaggie, ever, especially pixel crawl on buildings or trees or whatever.

Crossplay for everything but especially fighting games.

I hope the DS5 maintains roughly the same stick tension as DS4.

Lastly, I hope devs don't chase after raytracing at the expense of performance or any of the other stuff I want.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Despite stuff that has been talked to death already by Sony and MS, like faster load times and more feedback to the controller, i really want better support from backwards compatibility (looking at you, PlayStation) and more storage.

The first point on the list is kinda obvious, Microsoft's biggest selling point alongside the Xbox One X and Gamepass since Spencer took over is definitely BC, and having a dedicated team to not only port those games but make them run and look better became a standard this gen.

Like, i'm a bit worried about Sony's support while transitioning to PS5. I have bought digital games like crazy with my PlayStation 4 and there's such a rich library in my account right now, it would be very disappointing to see it not going forward or performing badly next-gen. It'll definitely be the biggest selling point for me whenever we start hearing more about the next hardwares.

Now to the second one, that's a bit more complicated and i'm willing to overlook if we have more options to deal with the problem.

Changing to the SSD's is a really good idea and i think it'll be a very important upgrade, it's just the fact that these pieces are not cheap at all. Thinking about a 500GB storage gives me nightmares considering how i'm mostly digital at the moment, at least we need a 1-2TB option out there.

100GB optical drive is a blessing and all, but games will only get bigger from now on.