• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying the two Red Steel games for a retrospective series I'm doing on YouTube and it's been fascinating to see the ideas that didn't work too well in the first game and how they evolved to make something pretty fun and unique in the second game. Then I got to thinking about how the mechanics established in RS2 could potentially be taken to the next level with the VR control schemes we have today. The fact the series is first-person would also help. And given how the second game was a complete departure from the first in everything but the name, it's not like they would have to stick to a certain art style or storyline, either, so the potential to make it something completely new is there. Would you be interested in a Red Steel VR? Or if you're not into VR, would you be into any revival of the franchise?

launching dudes into the air, following after them then slamming them back into the ground in first-person sounds like it could be fun

It is indeed fun!

rsmeleeymk6g.gif

Last edited:

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this got brought up in another thread and I think it would be incredible. Red Steel 2 was great with Wii Motion Plus, so that with updated graphics and the advancements we've made in VR since it's released would be amazing.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There are several far more valuable Ubisoft IPs that deserve VR titles before they go crawling back to a mediocre Wii shooter duology that's most notable for the first game's bullshit marketing campaign.

OP
OP
scitek

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It would be a perfect fit with the motion controls and roomscale. I would buy it. : P

Maybe they could include a mechanic where you dive behind furniture for cover like the first game's trailers.

There are several far more valuable Ubisoft IPs that deserve VR titles before they go crawling back to a mediocre Wii shooter duology that's most notable for the first game's bullshit marketing campaign.

See, I think a lot of people see a series getting the VR treatment as some kind of slight. Like it's not a "real" game in the franchise, so they wouldn't be happy with it. For example, if we got a VR Splinter Cell, I'm not sure how well that would go over. But if we got a VR Red Steel, I think a lot of people would look at that and go, "Huh, that makes sense, actually."

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It'd be a perfect fit. Both swordfighting & gunplay are already popular VR genres, and they really could go wherever they want with a third entry.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
launching dudes into the air, following after them then slamming them back into the ground in first-person sounds like it could be fun

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I think ya gotta ask yourself, which version?

Part two was clearly the better game. But truth be told, I preferred the first game's V I B E Z

Put that gritty hong kong, neon lights reflected in puddles over concrete sidewalks mood into a VR shooter, I'm in.

OP
OP
scitek

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I think ya gotta ask yourself, which version?

Part two was clearly the better game. But truth be told, I preferred the first game's V I B E Z

Put that gritty hong kong, neon lights reflected in puddles over concrete sidewalks mood into a VR shooter, I'm in.

I think something more like the first game could be pretty great. Cel-shaded graphics typically seem to age better, but that game's art style really works well to this day IMO. I feel like the soundtrack is also super underappreciated.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Not in VR it's not (for most people). Vertical VR movement induces motion sickness in a LOT of people.

A more grounded approach (was the first more grounded?) could definitely work though. Put it out on PSVR2.....make it happen Ubisoft!
Edit: Looking at that GIF, that sword juggle/slam practically already looks like a teleport, so you could go the rest of the way and make it more comfortable for a lot of players.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Made a new gif, didn't care for that other one.
rsmeleeymk6g.gif

Aw yiss
Not in VR it's not (for most people). Vertical VR movement induces motion sickness in a LOT of people.

A more grounded approach (was the first more grounded?) could definitely work though. Put it out on PSVR2.....make it happen Ubisoft!
Edit: Looking at that GIF, that sword juggle/slam practically already looks like a teleport, so you could go the rest of the way and make it more comfortable for a lot of players.

Hadn't considered teleporting for that, but that could be good coupled with some time dilation

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I'd be down for Red Steel Reloaded. Why not.

given how many people played the series it's practically a new IP anyway

OP
OP
scitek

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

The first was definitely more grounded. It actually broke the sword combat and gun combat into their own separate sections. The sequel let you use the sword whenever you wanted.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is already a game that does all this in VR that's hugely popular:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

latest

Deflection.jpg

7808453f7d2c5457a17e4d67e5164c14.gif

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Aren't they already bringing it back as a Switch game?
I don't think so? I'd welcome it though, I have a lot of fond memories of the second game. Split controller input is the key component so it would probably work well there too. I still maintain that either cleaning up the first two a bit or a third with a new aesthetic like a sci-fi setting would be fun.

OP
OP
scitek

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Damn my bad, I meant a VR controller with 6dof.

Ohhh, I actia;don't know if the first game could do that. I have a Rift CV1, I'll have to look into it more. It would be awesome if it did work.
I don't think so? I'd welcome it though, I have a lot of fond memories of the second game. Split controller input is the key component so it would probably work well there too. I still maintain that either cleaning up the first two a bit or a third with a new aesthetic like a sci-fi setting would be fun.

I love the idea of an anthology series where each game is different. The first two clean up nicely, though. Here's some footage I took of the first game running at 1080p60 in Dolphin.

Deleted member 9327

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed both games a lot and even if it may be a controversial opinion I remember that I've enjoyed the first one more than the second one. RS2's mechanics were better for sure, but I didn't like the art style and repetitive gameplay compared to RS1.

RS in VR would be absolutely awesome, but please in the manner of RS1, not 2...

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Ohhh, I actia;don't know if the first game could do that. I have a Rift CV1, I'll have to look into it more. It would be awesome if it did work.

I love the idea of an anthology series where each game is different. The first two clean up nicely, though. Here's some footage I took of the first game running at 1080p60 in Dolphin.

Well when you really boil them down the common elements are some sort of Japanese/American aesthetic mash up whether it's a west coast crime syndicate or a Japanese influenced wild west and having motion controlled first person gun fights or sword duels. You have one in the "past", one in the present and I think a Japanese/American joint space colony with laserguns and swords could be a fun future.

But yeah, Dolphin is really amazing. A lot of wii games clean up nicely since they were usually stylized to compensate for weaker hardware. Nearly all of Nintendo's stuff, NMH games, etc. Madworld looks absolutely incredible in HD.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018

Cool footage. I wonder how the game would look Ray tracing. Suppose that's the next step for these emulators

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
As long as it's like Red Steel 2, which is fantastic and legitimately one of the best Wii games, and not the first one which sucks ass. That would be really great.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
There are quite a few VR games that have similar combat, so I could see it happening.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, Red Steel would be a good match and, like Kreijlooc mentioned with those Sairento gifs, we've already got an example of what it can look like when fast paced ninja sword gun shooting gameplay is done well in VR. Sairento is fun as hell to play.

A Red Steel game in VR with well-executed locomotion mechanics and decent production values would be cool as hell. I really think VR is a good opportunity for publishers to revitalize and reimagine some dormant IPs.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, I'd like it. I'd prefer a new IP though.

Red Steel has been two wildly different settings, art styles, and gameplay philosophies across two entries. The only constants are the first person viewpoint and the player having both a sword and a gun.

If the IP is already this fluid, there really isn't a point in coming up with a new title just to call it a new series.