• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

If Town is a success, should Game Freak focus on it alongside Pokémon?

• Yes, they should hire more people and keep both franchises.

Votes: 148 53.6%
  • Yes, but they should give Pokémon to Nintendo to focus solely on this.

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • No, but they should lend the sequel to an external studio.

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • No, Town won't have sequels regardless of its success.

Votes: 92 33.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Few months ago Game Freak announced Town (working title), a JRPG completely unrelated to Pokémon

picture_08.png

To give you some context, despite Pokémon is one of the biggest franchise in video game history, Game Freak is a very small studio with around 100-150 employees (almost indie-ish), and that is one of the reasons why they've never made a Pokémon that is this big AAA project, they couldn't handle it, and they are a bit reluctant on expanding the team (they're hiring people but they want to stay relatively small).

It's definitely not the first time we see Game Freak making a game that isn't Pokémon but i believe this is the first relatively big one, with 3D visuals and possibly GF's first JRPG outside Pokémon. (unsure about that, you may consider some of the smaller games like Quest as RPGs)

Granted i believe this is likely a tech demo for the next Pokémon game, so it probably won't be a big game, but what if it is? What if in its own right, Town is an excellent RPG and it also sells well?

Should Game Freak start to focus on two franchises as a way to inspire developers making something that isn't Pokèmon? Should they give up on Pokémon (given the pressure they felt on making a bigger scale iteration) to focus on this? or should Town just be another of their side-projects with no sequels?

Personally looking at some of their non-Pokémon related artwork, i think it's cool to see them working on different projects and if it is a success, even as a small scale project, i'd consider turning Town into a separate franchise.

PS: It's also worth noting that apparently GF is also going to re-release Giga Wrecker on Switch with the name "Giga Wrecker Alt." (maybe with new contents added)

Last edited:

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt their goal for Town is for it to become this big new IP of theirs.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quick correction: Nintendo didn't announce Town. Town is self-published by Game Freak.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, I'm still waiting on HarmoKnight 2 so I doubt the side GameFreak games are getting sequel.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Town is not a Nintendo game

It probably just a one-off considering it is eshop only

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i hope they keep doing different smaller-scale stuff between Pokémon releases. I don't need them to run two series concurrently.

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
I doubt it will. I love that Game Freak will every now and then will just make some random one-shot game like Tembo the Badass Elephant and HarmoKnight

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a success then they should bite the bullet and expand. They should be expanding to help drive change within the Pokemon series anyway (I'm not saying they're not already).

I am one of the few people though that thinks Town looks dreadful. I think the art style is ugly, and it looks a bit like a Wii game with better graphics. Plus it just feels like a tiny RPG. I don't expect it to be a success, but if it's great and I'm wrong; then that's just one more good game for me to play.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, why the hell would they ever give up the reins to a 10M+ selling franchise for a game that will be lucky to even see half a million?

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I like how Town looks. Let's see if it's good. It sounds like a small game, the announcement mentions it all takes place in one location, so it's not likely to be a huge sales success. Doesn't seem to have much of a gimmick/USP beyond the cute visual style and being the new game from the Pokemon devs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Also, why the hell would they ever give up the reins to a 10M+ selling franchise for a game that will be lucky to even see half a million?

Agreed that would be really stupid, but every time a new Pokémon comes out (and especially with the last one) there is always a group of people who think Game Freak should give up on Pokémon because they can't make it bigger and better.

That option represents that group who believes GF should lend everything to Nintendo and make something else.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
gamefreak had several other games during these years

that you don't hear about them talks a lot about where they should priorize

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it will be successful. Hot take if you will but the Pokémon games are mainly successful because it's Pokémon, not because of some crazy quality Game Freak has been showcasing. I don't see a new IP by them exploding, unless word of mouth gets really good and even then I can see it as a cult classic. But let's say I'm completely wrong and Town does end up being successful. Is it going anywhere near Pokémon numbers? No fucking way. So I doubt this game changes a lot: they'll always be spawning Pokémon games for maximum profit and results, and when they have the time, money, ideas and workforce to work on a second game, they'll build something like Town. I don't expect Town to become a franchise, anyhow.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it will be successful. Hot take if you will but the Pokémon games are mainly successful because it's Pokémon, not because of some crazy quality Game Freak has been showcasing. I don't see a new IP by them exploding, unless word of mouth gets really good and even then I can see it as a cult classic. But let's say I'm completely wrong and Town does end up being successful. Is it going anywhere near Pokémon numbers? No fucking way. So I doubt this game changes a lot: they'll always be spawning Pokémon games for maximum profit and results, and when they have the time, money, ideas and workforce to work on a second game, they'll build something like Town. I don't expect Town to become a franchise, anyhow.
Pokémon games are successful because GameFreak has been consistently putting out quality games for over 20 years.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak has zero interest in other franchises, see Tembo the Badass Elephant, Drill Dozer, Harmoknight, etc. etc. Town will be no different

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
There are over 270 people credited on Pokemon Sun & Moon before you even get to the localization and "special thanks" categories. Game Freak is a AAA developer with a large budget and the full support and backing of Nintendo. Having ~140 people directly employed by GameFreak doesn't mean that's all there is working on their games. Creatures Inc., for instance, does a ton of work for the games.

They are nowhere near an "indie" studio and have been hiring plenty.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Town is a self-published download exclusive title for the Nintendo Switch.

I think you have higher expectations of it than should exist.

Also Game Freak does expand, and have bought several studios. They also outsource elements to other companies. For example, Creatures Inc. does much of the 3D modelling for main Pokémon games

But sure, Game Freak will drop the franchise, that they own, that is bigger than Star Wars, because of an eShop title.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
GameFreak isn't "very small".

GameFreak isn't "indie".

Almost every studio has an artist majority...

indie-ish is a stretch, but if you consider how big Pokémon is (bigger than GTA, Minecraft, COD, FIFA...), you would think there is a giant studio behind it, and it's not.

In 2019 i know there are still many casual Pokémon fans who don't know this, and that's why they get upset when they don't see the "Pokémon Breath of the Wild", which is something Game Freak alone could never do it as of now without some major change.

Oct 25, 2017
To give you some context, despite Pokémon is the biggest franchise in video game history, Game Freak is a very small studio with around 100-150 employees (almost indie-ish), and that is one of the reasons why they've never made a Pokémon that is this big AAA project, they couldn't handle it, and they are a bit reluctant on expanding the team (they're hiring people but they want to stay relatively small).
I can't believe Next Level Games, Good Feel Inc, and maybe possibly if you squint enough Monolith Soft are almost indie level.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
indie-ish is a stretch, but if you consider how big Pokémon is (bigger than GTA, Minecraft, COD, FIFA...), you would think there is a giant studio behind it, and it's not.

In 2019 i know there are still many casual Pokémon fans who don't know this, and that's why they get upset when they don't see the "Pokémon Breath of the Wild", which is something Game Freak alone couldn't never do it as of now without some major change.

Their games aren't like Assassin's Creed where UbiSoft will throw multiple studios and thousands of people on it, but they're absolutely NOT a very small studio.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Town is proof that they already expanding. They made Let's Go while a different team has been working on Gen 8 and the same time they have been developing Town.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hot take if you will but the Pokémon games are mainly successful because it's Pokémon, not because of some crazy quality Game Freak has been showcasing.

Pokemon is not big because of GameFreak but GameFreak is big because of Pokemon.

Pokemon games always feel a bit underdeveloped and unpolished GameFreak had a successful formula and just stick to it because they feared even a little change could drive customers away.

There had to come another publisher like Niantic that made something different with Pokemon and be very successful to push GameFreak into the future (technically PGo is a mess but it has some good "new" ideas).

Lets Go shows that GameFreak sometimes has trouble to output a decent quality when they go away from their standard formula. The ball throwing mechanism is unnecessary complicated and simply broken in TV mode but nonetheless it is an important part of the game. Why such a thing passed GameFreaks quality control is unbelievable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Their games aren't like Assassin's Creed where UbiSoft will throw multiple studios and thousands of people on it, but they're absolutely NOT a very small studio.

I can't believe Next Level Games, Good Feel Inc, and maybe possibly if you squint enough Monolith Soft are almost indie level.

Just to echo other people. "150" being a small studio. Lol.

(-_-")

First of all 100-150 is the entirety of GF, as Game Informer said during their last visit there, there is a group of people at Game Freak who only works on these side projects (for Switch and other platforms), and they are always making other games, so not all of them work on Pokémon.

Then i was trying to put things in context: 100 is not a small studio per se BUT if you consider how big Pokémon is, then it's incredibly small.

How many other IPs are THIS successful and have only 100 people working on the actual games?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon is not big because of GameFreak but GameFreak is big because of Pokemon.

Pokemon games always feel a bit underdeveloped and unpolished GameFreak had a successful formula and just stick to it because they feared even a little change could drive customers away.

There had to come another publisher like Niantic that made something different with Pokemon and be very successful to push GameFreak into the future (technically PGo is a mess but it has some good "new" ideas).

Lets Go shows that GameFreak sometimes has trouble to output a decent quality when they go away from their standard formula. The ball throwing mechanism is unnecessary complicated and simply broken in TV mode but nonetheless it is an important part of the game. Why such a thing passed GameFreaks quality control is unbelievable.
This is 100% unadulterated bs. GF has managed the franchise in a way no other developer would have been able to do. They have changed things up many times to the point you'll never find people agreeing on which Pokémon game is the best, and you'll see both people completely shitting on an entry and people praising it. If Pokémon were developed by SquareEnix, Capcom, Ubisoft, EA or what have you, it would have been no where near as successful or beloved.
To say Niantic showed GameFreak the future is the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a very long time

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
(-_-")

First of all 100-150 is the entirety of GF, as for example Game Informer said during their last visit there, there is a group of people who only works on these side projects (for Switch and other platforms) so not all of them work on Pokémon.

Then i was trying to put things in context: 100 is not a small studio BUT if you consider how big Pokémon is, then it's incredibly small.

How many other IPs are THIS successful and have only 100 people working on it?

You did not specify this in your original post. We're not mind readers. To reiterate: GameFreak is not a "very small" studio.

Also, successful games requiring many developers is a complete misconception.

Another thing to consider is that studios employ outsourcing. In Pokemon's case you not only have to consider GameFreak, but also Creatures and Nintendo internal studios helping out.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not the future of the franchise, just showing GameFreak that something different could be done with Pokemon and be successful besides GameFreaks standard formula.

I mean GameFreak always seemed to be a angst-driven developer that had this enormous success with one game and feared to change anything after that. Normally such companies would vanish because people get bored of the repeats, but the base concept of Pokemon and the beloved TV show were enough to hold steady sales.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not the future of the franchise, just showing GameFreak that something different could be done with Pokemon and be successful besides GameFreaks standard formula.

I mean GameFreak always seemed to be a angst-driven developer that had this enormous success with one game and feared to change anything after that. Normally such companies would vanish because people get bored of the repeats, but the base concept of Pokemon and the beloved TV show were enough to hold steady sales.
I mean GO is successful, sure, however it's successful in spite of Niantic in my view. The sheer number of problems/errors/fuckups that Niantic keep doing with that is getting ridiculous.

Oct 27, 2017
It'll just be another side project like the ones they've had in the past. It's success won't mean anything unless it's a MASSIVE success, then they might reconsider

Plus we need a sequel to Screw Breaker/Drill Dozer first anyway

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Same could be said of mainline pokemon
It could be, sure. I mean the people saying it would be wrong, but sure the same could be said.

I'm not talking about the "They didn't make a Battle Frontier angryface" and questioning decisions like that. I'm talking about game breaking bugs, errors and so forth.

Oct 29, 2017
I reckon that it'll be a one off, regardless of how much of a success it turns out to be...

... but hopefully it'll be vindication for Game Freak's own "garage" development strategy and that we'll see future games that follow in its wake (and Harmoknight/Tembo/Pocket Card Jockey/Gigawrecker); perhaps even more of them, with bigger budgets?

Most importantly, I hope that it inspires Nintendo's internal developers (and their other external partners) to take more chances with fresh, new IP of both smaller and larger scale. We desperately need more games like ARMS, Pushmo/Pullblox, Box Boy and Dillon! The next Splatoon is just around the corner, waiting to be found!