• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I think it will cost something, probably some monthly fee, but what if they pull a youtube and its basically "free"?

Would that change your perception of the service? Would it be viable?

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Knowing the price of Google's Cloud instances it won't be. At least for a while.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think gaming companies would be OK with that. Also where and when would you show ads? Would they interrupt your gaming? In loading screens? Overlays?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Honestly this would be amazing. I'd love to play AAA games for free if I only had to deal with ads.

No way they make enough money though

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
90923.gif

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How would that even work? Pop ups every 15 mins of playthrough? Or every time they go into the menu? Putting it over the game UI? Segmenting a section of the stream? That's one sure way of putting both users and developers off the platform.

OP
OP
Igorth

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think gaming companies would be OK with that. Also where and when would you show ads? Would they interrupt your gaming? In loading screens? Overlays?
Given that the loading screens are severely reduced per their own words that would not be it, probably ingame advertising? Like that agressive product placement segments in House of Cards.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I think there will absolutely be a free or ad supported tier of games. I doubt all games will be free, but they would try to cast a wide net and convert people to streaming with as much free content as possible.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Well, fuck. I've been getting ads for Clive Palmer's far right political party on Youtube (despite clearing my cache, watch history [which is just Northernlion, Chuggaaconroy, and Giant Bomb] and internet history).

But profiting from promoting far-right political ideology is Google's style, so that is a possibility.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Probably Have a bunch of F2P multiplayer titles and subsidise the service that way in addition to adds

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't a dev in Twitter mention something an hourly rate?

My personal guess on this is you can play games by the hour say by purchasing "Stadia Bucks" into your account.

Different levels of games charge more or less ... a AAA studio game may be 5 Stadia Bucks per hour, an indie game could be 2 Stadia Bucks per hour.

The dev of which ever game you're pouring your hours into gets the revenue with Google of course taking a fee. There could be ads to sit through in this setup every hour or so lets say.

If its a game you know you're going to play for hours and hours, there could be an option to full out "buy" the game and have no ads and not need for hourly pay.

OP
OP
Igorth

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I can think of a lot of options here:
- free with ads
- free with ads for a limited (daily) time
- free with ads for some selected games (probably monthly rotated)
- free with ads in low resolutions or framerates
- free with ads in google devices

It would be nice too if they would let you link your steam/epic/uplay/whatever account you have and let you play free (with ads) your purchased and available games.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Boy people are creating impossible to deliver scenarios ahead of any official pricing

I'm not even convinced it'll be a subscription service - where is the incentive for the big third parties with that? They'll argue buying a game on stadia is no different to buying a digital Xbox/PlayStation/steam game soneill want to charge for it

Status
Not open for further replies.