• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Best episode of the series but I have a question?

I thought infinity gems/stones were locked to the universe they were native too.

Deleted member 1445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought infinity gems/stones were locked to the universe they were native too.
yeah, they were useless in Loki. so how did he suddenly become master of the multiverse with just the stones from his universe?

this series is alright, but often it's really a lot of "we want this to happen, so it just is" without any consistency to the MCU. like thanos being hugely nerfed all of a sudden in the black panther episode, this episode as well actually.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Magic (including the Infinity Stones) doesn't work in the TVA, but the infinity stones not working in different universes isn't something I recall them ever saying in the MCU. I don't think they're going by that rule, unlike the comics.

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Magic (including the Infinity Stones) doesn't work in the TVA, but the infinity stones not working in different universes isn't something I recall them ever saying in the MCU. I don't think they're going by that rule, unlike the comics.
so if the tva was doing something to block the infinity stones, then why wouldn't the watcher know how to do that? how come the stones are a threat to him? makes him seem surprisingly vulnerable then, given how he's positioned in the story. and wouldn't the tva take out ultron immediately anyways, since he's messing with the multiverse?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018

yeah, they were useless in Loki. so how did he suddenly become master of the multiverse with just the stones from his universe?

this series is alright, but often it's really a lot of "we want this to happen, so it just is" without any consistency to the MCU. like thanos being hugely nerfed all of a sudden in the black panther episode, this episode as well actually.

The TVA is outside any universe or sideways to anywhere in space-time. Literally nothing works apart from technology.

The infinity gems only working in one's own universe has only been established in the comics, it's not been established in the marvel cinematic multiverse yet, despite assumptions made about the TVA during Loki.

However even if that was the case you can easily retcon it later by saying Ultron figured out how to change the frequencies of his gems to work in other universes.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Did anyone else think we would get live action watcher vs ultron for a couple of seconds when they jumped universes?i was kind of dissapointed it didnt happen tbh

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The TVA is outside any universe or sideways to anywhere in space-time. Literally nothing works apart from technology.

The infinity gems only working in one's own universe has only been established in the comics, it's not been established in the marvel cinematic multiverse yet, despite assumptions made about the TVA during Loki.

However even if that was the case you can easily retcon it later by saying Ultron figured out how to change the frequencies of his gems to work in other universes.
so somehow the watcher isn't operating from a similar place to the tva then? why would he be in a more vulnerable place? also, nothing works outside of technology, what does that even mean, and where did you get that from?

also, for someone like the watcher, it would have been painfully easy to do the same no? just weird how ultron can suddenly leapfrog him. makes the watcher seem more like a doofus, rather than make ultron look strong (which was obviously the intent of the show).

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
so somehow the watcher isn't operating from a similar place to the tva then? why would he be in a more vulnerable place? also, nothing works outside of technology, what does that even mean, and where did you get that from?

also, for someone like the watcher, it would have been painfully easy to do the same no? just weird how ultron can suddenly leapfrog him. makes the watcher seem more like a doofus, rather than make ultron look strong (which was obviously the intent of the show).
at this point the whole multiverse/tva thing crumbles even if you think it for a second,better not to bothered about it and lets not pretend they wont retcon all the big stuff down the line

Oct 28, 2017

You could be right however, I was under the impression that the multiverse theory include the comics.

The MCU is just another number of the multiverse. Otherwise would you have multiple multiverses and that's just silly. 😜

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
it's a victim of "hey it's a cartoon" just make it 30 minutes.
I bet writers wanted to flesh it out, but they are working within the constraints, and Thanos dying is just a plot device to move the story. Fighting him doesn't really bring anything new. He will just die at the end
"hey it's a cartoon" but it's a cartoon based on feature length films. if they're trying to tell stories that are meant to be just as compelling as the MCU films the episodes are based on, then they need to have the running time closer to feature length. cramming it all into a half hour doesn't do the show any justice, it doesn't matter if it is a cartoon.

I wouldn't say fighting Thanos doesn't bring anything new, seeing as how we never saw Thanos vs. Ultron in the MCU. So it is certainly something new. And I don't know if Ultron would realistically win either, so him immediately bisecting Thanos who had all the infinity stones felt way too convenient.

It also made me ponder the question, why didn't Vision try that on Thanos in IW if it was that easy?
It's always gonna be tricky because the words "timeline", "universe", and "reality" can be used to mean slightly different things, while also being used interchangeably in other contexts. And it doesn't really behoove anyone to sit down and clarify what is what, or delineate those terms further.
I just want to point out that in one of the 2012 scenes in Endgame with astral Bruce and the Ancient One, they themselves were already using the words "timeline" and "reality" interchangeably.
that's exactly what his argument is. you cannot travel to your own past with this method of time travel. They're simply navigating through the Quantum realm to end up at a specific time, but that is a different universe upon the point of entry. Even if he's come up with a method to prevent a timeline split in that universe.

Now, there are other methods of time travel in the Marvel Universe that could allow one to travel to their own past, but Hulk's theory of time travel via Quantum realm doesn't account for that.
Steve Rogers' final scene in the MCU confused a lot of people and it looks like the directors and screenwriters also gave two different answers which made it all the more confusing. One party said Steve went back to the main MCU timeline and lived in it with Peggy in the background (which completely contradicts what Bruce was saying), and the other party said he went in the past and lived with Peggy in an alternate timeline as we understand it, then returned to the main one to sit on that bench.
It's so weird that people are still arguing whether or not the stones work outside of their original universe when we already know they work outside of their universe on account of seeing them work outside of their universe.
I think this is because back when Loki was still airing, people thought timelines and universes were meant to be separate things. To me, these timelines are parallel universes and the stones would work there. The question, which isn't really a relevant one, is would the stones work in a universe that's independent to the MCU's like the Raimi universe or the Fox-X Men universe
IIRC

-He also threw down with Odin who has destroyed galaxies
-Destroyed a planet just by fighting near it
-Has telepathic capabilities great enough to disregard telepaths around Professor X's level
-Gone through dimensions that have the laws of physics no longer apply to the point where he was melting/turning into -glass and then regenerated/toughed them out because of willpower/molecular control
-Was unscathed by dedicated assault by Silver Surfer who can pretty easily blow up planets and has Flash type speed
-Consistently was a threat to the whole Marvel universe not because of any of the above specifically but because he was smart enough to come up with plans to get power like the Infinity Gauntlet
-Was a key role as an avatar of Death in ending a universe of corrupted/rampant life

But like someone said, maybe that's the Thanos before the one we have now *shrug*

Also one time the cops arrested him, but that can happen to anyone
I was going to add how I've always been hearing from comic book readers that Thanos was way stronger in the comics than in the MCU

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020

She got the technology thing from actually paying attention to the show she was watching.

Loki tries to use magic, he can't. Magic is suppressed in the TVA.

Loki tries to use a time stone, can't. Stones are inert in whatever pocket dimension the TVA is located.

Literally half of the show takes place in the TVA where there's anachronistic technology EVERYWHERE. Loki watched his greatest hits on a hologram projected from a fucking 8 track. Everyone's carrying cattle prods that teleport you. Grenades that reset universes. Little smartphones that let you hop timelines. Printers that print everything you've ever said. Hologram time out corners. Metal detectors that disintegrate you if you're secretly a robot. TVs and monitors all over the place.

Technology works in the TVA.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I think there are multiple multiverse: The omniverse.
That way there is a separate Marvel multiverse, the ever-changing DC Comics multiverse, the CW multiverse, etc. etc.

I mean is there more than 1 Marvel Multiverse. Earth 616 is the main comic universe. The Ultimate Earth is 1610. The MCU films "have" been Earth 199999 but they have all been apart of the same multiverse. Multiverse rules still apply so stones would be locked to origin. But I digress...I need that Ultron /Vision in armor figure ASAP!

Deleted member 1445

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She got the technology thing from actually paying attention to the show she was watching.

Loki tries to use magic, he can't. Magic is suppressed in the TVA.

Loki tries to use a time stone, can't. Stones are inert in whatever pocket dimension the TVA is located.

Literally half of the show takes place in the TVA where there's anachronistic technology EVERYWHERE. Loki watched his greatest hits on a hologram projected from a fucking 8 track. Everyone's carrying cattle prods that teleport you. Grenades that reset universes. Little smartphones that let you hop timelines. Printers that print everything you've ever said. Hologram time out corners. Metal detectors that disintegrate you if you're secretly a robot. TVs and monitors all over the place.

Technology works in the TVA.
eh ok, i didn't mean that technology wasn't working in the tva, i meant how do you know that only "technology" works there, and what does it even mean? like, organic processes aren't technology, as the people were still alive and living normally right? so it's not just "technology", whatever that is, that works. maybe they block magic, and infinity stones somehow, but then why can't the watcher do that.

all just rhetorical, i'm with greengr here, things are getting more and more inconsistent and loopy with the multiverse stuff, and powers / power levels. it's more of a writing issue than some sort of deep hidden logic in the writing that needs to be discovered.

gfbandito

One Winged Slayer
Apr 5, 2020
eh ok, i didn't mean that technology wasn't working in the tva, i meant how do you know that only "technology" works there, and what does it even mean? like, organic processes aren't technology, as the people were still alive and living normally right? so it's not just "technology", whatever that is, that works. maybe they block magic, and infinity stones somehow, but then why can't the watcher do that.

all just rhetorical, i'm with greengr here, things are getting more and more inconsistent and loopy with the multiverse stuff, and powers / power levels. it's more of a writing issue than some sort of deep hidden logic in the writing that needs to be discovered.
It's all we can figure out based on the information given to us. Definitely no deep hidden logic, I agree. But I don't think it's as inconsistent as people are saying.

Everyone was arguing in the Loki thread about what the sacred timeline is based on an orientation video for the time dictators, made by the time dictators.

Everyone's been arguing for years over how MCU time travel works based on what Banner and the Ancient One were discussing.

There's this thing called Unreliable Narrators, and that's what we've been getting for a bit.

As for the Watcher, the dude spent who knows how long passively watching plots unfold, safe and sound. Then he watches a robot gain the power to remake reality itself, which he mainly just uses as a power boost to murder a whole universe. Then the universe murdering murderbot just straight up looks at the Watcher and tries to murder him.

I can't blame Uatu for not having the presence of mind to think "Oh shit I should bring this terrifying robot to some weird dimension/end of time police department where time cops are that I'm probably not even aware of!"

EDIT: Also, now that I think about it, even if Uatu knows about the TVA, is it really a good idea to bring Ultron, the robot known for getting away if there's even a TI-86 graphing calculator in the general vincinity, to a place loaded with all sorts of....technology?

EDIT EDIT: And this place loaded with technology has access to all these universes. Uatu bringing Ultron to the TVA is probably the absolute worst thing he could have done in that situation.

Last edited:

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Bottom line is Thanos gonna become the Frieza of MCU and its freaking hilarious,heck i can see the big L hes gonna get in the Secret Wars movie in 2029 right now.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to add how I've always been hearing from comic book readers that Thanos was way stronger in the comics than in the MCU
Certainly. I think that's the case for all MCU characters really.

I understand it in terms of trying to balance things a bit though, like Drax's thing in the comics is that he's the one that kills Thanos iirc, which obviously wouldn't happen here.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
"hey it's a cartoon" but it's a cartoon based on feature length films. if they're trying to tell stories that are meant to be just as compelling as the MCU films the episodes are based on, then they need to have the running time closer to feature length. cramming it all into a half hour doesn't do the show any justice, it doesn't matter if it is a cartoon.

I couldn't disagree more with this.

Short stories are just as worthwhile as novels, short films are just as worthwhile as feature length films, etc., etc. Same logic applies here.

For me, the 30-minute runtime is all pro, no con. I love how snackable the show is, how the creative limitation of that ~30-minute ceiling brings out a different vibe from the rest of the MCU, and so on. Last thing I want is for it to change into something more MCU-y than it already is.

Sure, if a specific story calls for it feel free to extend the runtime, but I've been digging watching what these creators can pull off whilst keeping it short and sweet.

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
Certainly. I think that's the case for all MCU characters really.

I understand it in terms of trying to balance things a bit though, like Drax's thing in the comics is that he's the one that kills Thanos iirc, which obviously wouldn't happen here.
well I can't say it is the case for all MCU characters though. 616 Cap doesn't have superhuman strength, right? But MCU Cap does, so I think it is safe to say he's more based on the Ultimate version.
I couldn't disagree more with this.

Short stories are just as worthwhile as novels, short films are just as worthwhile as feature length films, etc., etc. Same logic applies here.

For me, the 30-minute runtime is all pro, no con. I love how snackable the show is, how the creative limitation of that ~30-minute ceiling brings out a different vibe from the rest of the MCU, and so on. Last thing I want is for it to change into something more MCU-y than it already is.

Sure, if a specific story calls for it feel free to extend the runtime, but I've been digging watching what these creators can pull off whilst keeping it short and sweet.
then let's agree to disagree. the fact that each of these 30 minute episodes are meant to be alternate versions of feature length films is more than enough reason as to why the show never feels satisfying. so much happens crammed into half an hour and every single episode's plot suffers because of it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
then let's agree to disagree. the fact that each of these 30 minute episodes are meant to be alternate versions of feature length films is more than enough reason as to why the show never feels satisfying. so much happens crammed into half an hour and every single episode's plot suffers because of it.

I don't really see them as alternative versions of feature length films - not in any way beyond "we're riffing on this story you're familiar with," at least. They're very much their own thing.

But yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed the show from first drop, so agreeing to disagree would definitely be reasonable :P

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
well I can't say it is the case for all MCU characters though. 616 Cap doesn't have superhuman strength, right? But MCU Cap does, so I think it is safe to say he's more based on the Ultimate version.
IIRC Cap's strength is "peak human" but peak human is stretched so he can do things like "lift the greatest weight anyone ever benched but he gets to do it with one hand or something". So I actually can see comics Cap doing some ridiculous stuff although I think they made MCU cap stronger. Also in comics they also round out with speed and skill so Cap there is moving freaky fast even tho not "superhuman" like moving his whole body faster than someone can move their hands to aim a gun at him and he's as skilled in fighting as someone like Batman who has like 120 martial arts trained or something.

But Cap in the MCU is definitely closer than most other chars for comics yea

The Artisan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see them as alternative versions of feature length films - not in any way beyond "we're riffing on this story you're familiar with," at least. They're very much their own thing.

But yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed the show from first drop, so agreeing to disagree would definitely be reasonable :P
but that's exactly what they are though. each episode takes the first act of a feature length MCU film and changes it, but for some reason Marvel Studios thought these alternate takes were not worth portraying with their own feature lengths.

anyway, I love seeing the MCU's ongoing success so even though I'm not into this show, more power to you for enjoying!
IIRC Cap's strength is "peak human" but peak human is stretched so he can do things like "lift the greatest weight anyone ever benched but he gets to do it with one hand or something". So I actually can see comics Cap doing some ridiculous stuff although I think they made MCU cap stronger. Also in comics they also round out with speed and skill so Cap there is moving freaky fast even tho not "superhuman" like moving his whole body faster than someone can move their hands to aim a gun at him and he's as skilled in fighting as someone like Batman who has like 120 martial arts trained or something.

But Cap in the MCU is definitely closer than most other chars for comics yea
you mean Cap's strength in 616 is peak human right? Because the SSS in the MCU definitely gives a human much more than peak human ability. He does things Batman can't do and Bruce Wayne is also supposed to be a peak human

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I do like that it seems like all the different stories are going to converge at the end. I thought it was just going to be a bunch of one-offs.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
ew.com

Marvel's 'What If...?' team promises 'resolution' in season finale and teases season 2

Marvel's 'What If...?' head writer AC Bradley and director Bryan Andrews promise that the season 1 finale will bring "resolution." Plus EW has your exclusive first look at the long-awaited episode.

Bradley also hints that while many of season 1's episodes featured "big, let's end the world, let's kill everyone" arcs, season 2 episodes will "focus a lot more on the character stories and these heroes and showing a different side of them that people don't expect and hopefully they can relate to."