• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This felt like the episode where it turned from MCU into full comic book.

Also probably best to not think too much about logic or continuity with these.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I guess what gets confusing is several black widows are used and so it's going to be hard to figure out which one is the one we are seeing when they ultimately form up avengers style. Multiple black widows?

I can't remember if they all died or not except the last one lol

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess what gets confusing is several black widows are used and so it's going to be hard to figure out which one is the one we are seeing when they ultimately form up avengers style. Multiple black widows?

I can't remember if they all died or not except the last one lol

This will be the only Black Widow. The only notable one was from the Hank Pym episode and she died.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
Nearly every Marvel Legends line has a build a figure. It's annoying at times but a tradition going back to the ToyBiz ones in the early 00s.

The one where Jubilee was the BAF was the most annoying. To be fair though they've gotten much much better at making the build a figure related to the line, i.e. XMen lines have a mutant or other related figure where before it was some random shit where you had to buy the Punisher or Bullseye to complete Man-Thing or some such.

Lol the shang chi one is horrible. U need a 6th figure from some other franchise and the dude you build is from I don't even know where

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
People want to create some kind of infinity stone logic based on the fact that they don't work at the TVA.

Magic also doesn't work at the TVA and that's why it doesn't make any sense to make up some infinity stone logic based on how they work at the TVA.

The TVA is a place where certain powers just don't work in order to protect the TVA.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
People want to create some kind of infinity stone logic based on the fact that they don't work at the TVA.

Magic also doesn't work at the TVA and that's why it doesn't make any sense to make up some infinity stone logic based on how they work at the TVA.

The TVA is a place where certain powers just don't work in order to protect the TVA.

i didn't 'want to create' anything, i was referencing a comic book thing and I was curious after Loki if that's what they were doing. That's about it. In any case, much of our TVA explanations are assumptions anyway as much of it is still unknown.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I do think it's unfortunate that two of the strongest, most independent Marvel characters die across Infinity War/Endgame, either being sacrificed by/sacrificed instead of a male character, in exactly the same way, down to the camerawork and music.

I get why they did it, I also totally get how that choice can be criticised. It's not fridging, it's just not a fantastic look.

Yeah, it's more of a consequence of marvel not doing their diligence in expanding female members of the team across their movies. Sure, every hero has one or two women in their movies, but they don't necessarily migrate to the avengers. So basically, it's a massive dude population, and even of it isn't fridging, killing 2 female characters when they're like 10% of the cast isn't great

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
This episode was fucking awesome, watched it twice so far. This veered into some top tier anime shit, even better. Like season 1 OPM, taken to the next level. Straight comic book shit, I love it.

Damn, I want Capcom to make a marvel super heroes 2 sooooo bad right now.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Did Black Widow actually pose that much in her earlier films bc or did I only pick that up with the Black Widow movie joke

Cos I def noticed with this episode they played that up again

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
people complaining about Thanos scene. show is not that long people want to spend 5 minutes of fighting. It's done to keep moving the plot forward

You got that from Ultron v Watcher unless you want to cut that.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
people complaining about Thanos scene. show is not that long people want to spend 5 minutes of fighting. It's done to keep moving the plot forward

we want the episode to be longer lol. when I watch youtuber reaction of these episodes, I've seen many of them think it's too short and they want more time each episode. I guess it's a good sign that people really do enjoy these disney+ series

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This episode was fucking awesome, watched it twice so far. This veered into some top tier anime shit, even better. Like season 1 OPM, taken to the next level. Straight comic book shit, I love it.

Damn, I want Capcom to make a marvel super heroes 2 sooooo bad right now.
The animators went ham on this episode. And yeah, I'd love to see Capcom take a stab at this style.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

methinks next season will cut down on the brevity. but I agree with you.

I would still liked to have seen ultron vs thanos, but thanos just became a jobber

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Man, when will we see some hulk action in what if. He is supposed to be one of the strongest beings in the marvel universe but he is so underutilized in MCU.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
methinks next season will cut down on the brevity. but I agree with you.

I would still liked to have seen ultron vs thanos, but thanos just became a jobber

Dude pretty much is a jobber in the comics. In the movies he would have his ass kicked too (e.g. Scarlet Witch almost winning if Thanos wouldn't have sacrificed his army).

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I didn't take Thanos is getting owned like that as jobbing. I took it as, oh shit, Ultron is on some shit, homie! Haha. In my mind, Thanos is so damn powerful from the MCU, he ain't shit to this Ultron.

And you guys are right, there needs to be an episode with Hulk going nuts next season.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I guess that's one way to get people to buy all the figures.

2dTzE2o.jpg
Legends figures bug me because there's always an off theme figure in the cycle. Why is Sylvie here? They could have done Hydra Stomper (maybe that's a candidate for a build a figure), Yellowjacket Pym, Party Thor, Red Guardian Natasha, Clinter Soldier, a bunch of other Zombie characters, etc.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
To be fair that's a complete separate multiverse. With Marvel, each universe has at least an incarnation of the gems at one point. Ultron using the stones in another universe where identical stones also exist is not as unbelievable as one where they never were.
Typically the stones/gems are tied to that particular universe. When the Illuminati tried to use them to fix the Incusions they all got murked.

I wasn't really bothered with it, though I'm interested to see his interaction with the TVA.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Odds that Killmonger will betray them, only to make a noble sacrifice at the end?

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
This Thanos is CUT IN HALF

images

I would like to exchange it for one that is not CUT IN HALF.

Wild episode. This is how Ultron should've looked in the movie. Kind of makes Kang look small fry though. Infinity Ultron was literally punching through universes.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Legends figures bug me because there's always an off theme figure in the cycle. Why is Sylvie here? They could have done Hydra Stomper (maybe that's a candidate for a build a figure), Yellowjacket Pym, Party Thor, Red Guardian Natasha, Clinter Soldier, a bunch of other Zombie characters, etc.

Yep its like the always gotta throw in some rando lol

Unless Sylvie is about to show up next episode

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Typically the stones/gems are tied to that particular universe. When the Illuminati tried to use them to fix the Incusions they all got murked.

I wasn't really bothered with it, though I'm interested to see his interaction with the TVA.

Yep there is an issue if the MCU is apart of the Marvel comic multiverse still, as you stated they are not supposed to work. My point was mainly in response to darkseid using the stones in the DC reality which is even more divorced from the Marvel multiverse, as at least the concepts of the stones exist in most of the alternate universes in Marvel.

My only way to explain it is that Ultron being an almost physical incarnation of the mind stone has found a way to circumvent their usual limits (again assuming the comic rules still apply). As we already know a set of infinity gems can work from an alternate timeline, if at least the split has not separated enough from the parent reality (aka endgame). Also at one point those multiple sets of gems across the multiverse came from one original point. All the gems in that way across the multiverse do have a common origin at the beginning of the multiverse and have merely been subdivided across all other realities. Maybe his AI allowed him to trace the programming and makeup of the gems to that origin point.

Also the watcher was surprised by Ultron, which gives the impression the gems were not supposed to work. Essentially Ultron should of insta died when he broke through, as the mind stone is at that point a key part of him. An instant turn off of that gem would killed him like the vision was killed by Thanos. But as he said, everything is possible in a multiverse. Something else is going on.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame would still work. They took the stones from their own timeline, not other universes.
I disagree. The Avengers created several new timelines simply by traveling to the past. And to me, those new alternate timelines are just parallel universes to the main universe. The Watcher was probably seeing what was happening in each of the alternate timelines as well in his multiverse observatory as they are all alternate realities, just like each episode of this show. And that's why the stones still work.

I think if an MCU character traveled to a universe that wasn't parallel to theirs, say to the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man universe or the X-Men universe, that's when the infinity stones wouldn't work. Because those universes aren't parallel to the MCU's, they're distinct timelines of their own.

I'd say the biggest problem with the show overall is the pacing. The fact that each episode is meant to be based on an alternative take on a previous MCU installment, each of which is feature length yet every episode is relatively half an hour long is a major problem. the episodes should have been 45 minutes each, at least.

in the case of this episode I certainly think that there should have at least been a fight scene comparable to one from the movies especially since Thanos had acquired the majority of the stones at that point.

Dec 21, 2017
I disagree. The Avengers created several new timelines simply by traveling to the past. And to me, those new alternate timelines are just parallel universes to the main universe. The Watcher was probably seeing what was happening in each of the alternate timelines as well in his multiverse observatory as they are all alternate realities, just like each episode of this show. And that's why the stones still work.

I think if an MCU character traveled to a universe that wasn't parallel to theirs, say to the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man universe or the X-Men universe, that's when the infinity stones wouldn't work. Because those universes aren't parallel to the MCU's, they're distinct timelines of their own.

I'd say the biggest problem with the show overall is the pacing. The fact that each episode is meant to be based on an alternative take on a previous MCU installment, each of which is feature length yet every episode is relatively half an hour long is a major problem. the episodes should have been 45 minutes each, at least.

in the case of this episode I certainly think that there should have at least been a fight scene comparable to one from the movies especially since Thanos had acquired the majority of the stones at that point.

Whether or not taking the stones creates another timeline doesn't change the fact that they just travel to their own past in the same reality to obtain them.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
There's no "fight" between Ultron and Thanos when the later has 5 of the 6 Infinity Stones. One-shotting Thanos before he has a chance to do anything was the only plausible way Ultron could ever emerge victorious in that scenario, disappointing as that may be.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Whether or not taking the stones creates another timeline doesn't change the fact that they just travel to their own past in the same reality to obtain them.
I'm not saying it changes that fact, I'm just saying once they leave they time travel, they're no longer in their own observable universe

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

there is no "their own past in the same reality" with the method of time travel used in Endgame. Hulk explains it pretty clearly.

They are traveling to the past in another universe that follows the same timeline. not returning the stone at the moment it was taken would have splintered it off into a separate, doomed timeline. but it is still not the same "reality"/universe.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017

it's a victim of "hey it's a cartoon" just make it 30 minutes.
I bet writers wanted to flesh it out, but they are working within the constraints, and Thanos dying is just a plot device to move the story. Fighting him doesn't really bring anything new. He will just die at the end

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if they'll cross into the cinematic universe. Didn't Spider-Verse have a cut after credits scene where they end up in the live action universe for a bit?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll cross into the cinematic universe. Didn't Spider-Verse have a cut after credits scene where they end up in the live action universe for a bit?

They talked about using the live-action actors for a scene, but that idea was nixed early. (They also wanted at one point to have Maguire play Peter B. but that was also nixed pretty early.)

Dec 21, 2017
there is no "their own past in the same reality" with the method of time travel used in Endgame. Hulk explains it pretty clearly.

They are traveling to the past in another universe that follows the same timeline. not returning the stone at the moment it was taken would have splintered it off into a separate, doomed timeline. but it is still not the same "reality"/universe.
Hulk said it was a separate universe? I don't remember that.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
It's always gonna be tricky because the words "timeline", "universe", and "reality" can be used to mean slightly different things, while also being used interchangeably in other contexts. And it doesn't really behoove anyone to sit down and clarify what is what, or delineate those terms further.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
People really getting hung up on what is time travel or multiverse shenanigans huh? It's always dependant on the writer at the time. Everything is canon until the moment another writer 5 years says nah. Marvel is going to be one of those things where you just sit back and try not to make it all fit. There is no grand plan.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
So they can go to any other universe's past but not there own? How does that make sense?

that's exactly what his argument is. you cannot travel to your own past with this method of time travel. They're simply navigating through the Quantum realm to end up at a specific time, but that is a different universe upon the point of entry. Even if he's come up with a method to prevent a timeline split in that universe.

Now, there are other methods of time travel in the Marvel Universe that could allow one to travel to their own past, but Hulk's theory of time travel via Quantum realm doesn't account for that.