• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The Looney Tunes style "countries actually have their names written across them" shots were fucking great.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wondered if it might be a Tahiti reference but that opens a whole other can of worms

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Aaaand people in Youtube comments are already arguing that this episode proves that Thor is more powerful then Captain Marvel

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Aaaand people in Youtube comments are already arguing that this episode proves that Thor is more powerful then Captain Marvel

More concerning than power levels is why Carol was stuck under an enchanted hammer that the irresponsible Thor was somehow still worthy to wield. What phrase is the hammer actually enchanted with? "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be a frat boy..."

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
This was a very dumb episode and I adored every second of it.

More concerning than power levels is why Carol was stuck under an enchanted hammer that the irresponsible Thor was somehow still worthy to wield. What phrase is the hammer actually enchanted with? "Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be a frat boy..."

Only thing that didn't make sense was she couldn't get out from under it, without the bad blood between the Ice Giants and Asgardians then Odin wouldn't ever put that spell on the hammer, as Thor wouldn't have gone after them against his orders - really speaking anyone could pick that thing up.

I guess we didn't really see her try to get up though.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018

Thor 1 didn't take place, so there's no enchantment on the hammer. Only Thor can wield it since it's his and he doesn't even have to be worthy.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Before What If was even announced, if you told me that Benedict Cumberbatch would turn out to be a pretty good voice actor who can play a tormented Doctor Strange pleading with a god at the end of a universe

and who would fucking outdo him by a billion fucking spots is Chris Hemsworth in this fuckin' madness

You know what I wouldn't be even be mad

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ultravision learned that robot lips are for losers and wears a helmet to cover his

Couple things though:

Who built this Vision? He has to be from their universe or his stones wouldn't work

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Only thing that didn't make sense was she couldn't get out from under it, without the bad blood between the Ice Giants and Asgardians then Odin wouldn't ever put that spell on the hammer, as Thor wouldn't have gone after them against his orders - really speaking anyone could pick that thing up.

I guess we didn't really see her try to get up though.

Yeah, it confused me as I thought there was going to be a pay-off to Carol seemingly not being able to get up, like the enchantment was completely different in that universe or something.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
That was one of my favorite episodes. I haven't read the comic but to me, this series is at its best when it strays wildly from the MCU. I love the idea of Captain Carter, for example, but that episode was almost a total retread of the first Captain America movie with a character change that didn't really change much up.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was one of my favorite episodes. I haven't read the comic but to me, this series is at its best when it strays wildly from the MCU. I love the idea of Captain Carter, for example, but that episode was almost a total retread of the first Captain America movie with a character change that didn't really change much up.
The comic is very much the same with its one-offs that sometimes get more.

iirc this panel is from a What-if where Cap woke up at a different time and found out there was a MAGA Cap and went "fuuuuck that"

po8o5on6as39.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since when was this a rule? The only place the stones don't work is in whatever dimension the TVA is in. Otherwise, none of what happened in Endgame could have been possible.
It's usually a thing that the stones in different universe can be different colors and can't affect other universe. MCU is a canon universe in the comics so I assumed it fell under the same constraints

r5dw6pjffwr11.jpg

It seems like this rule still applies in some aspect given the TVA

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda whatever episode at first, but by the end of it you just learn to chill and accept it for the funny ride it was lol

It ending with Thor freaking out about his mom catching him partying and having to clean up everything was pretty funny

I didn't really like Jane's characterization though, girl was way too pressed over Thor (and blurting out she loved him, like huh???). Reminds me that I'm going to be pretty much waiting for Love and Thunder to finally actually like her character, assuming it does right by her.

SHIELD trying to nuke Thor was pretty over the top tho

That one dude being disappointed that they never get to use the nukes had me all like 😬😬😬

Glad he's not in charge lmao

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Since when was this a rule? The only place the stones don't work is in whatever dimension the TVA is in. Otherwise, none of what happened in Endgame could have been possible.

It's a comics rule. The Endgame stones were from the same universe, though, because putting them back at the end of the movie preserved teh Sacred Timeline.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this one, and love that the people who hate it hate it for such absurd reasons as "no stakes in the fight they weren't even using their full powers" like wow y'all sure watch things for reasons huh.

Once the episode pivoted into "aw shit mommy's coming home" I lost it. The humor in these what-ifs has been pretty bottom of the barrel stuff so far, but this episode actually finally made it work.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
How? It was even explicitly said that she was holding back. Man, they feel so attacked, don't they?
In fairness, it's not like Thor was giving it his best either.

But like, more importantly, it's clear that these alt-universe characters also operate on different levels of power than the main MCU one. Like, I'm sure you nerds will get at me for disrespecting Hank Pym because in the comics he's unstoppable, but I don't get the impression he'd have been able to kill Thor and Hulk in most circumstances except that what-if universe where they needed him to be able to do so for the murder mystery plot.

So Party Thor and Karen Danvers (sorry, it's too good a nickname) probably don't match main MCU Thor and Cap Marvel...whose power levels themselves would vary depending on narrative need, like how Iron man could take a tank shell in Iron Man 1, but gets his shit kicked in by Captain America's punches in Civil War.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
It's kind of sad how much happier Loki is being a prince with his real family compared to being adopted by Odin. Shows how much of a screw-up Odin is.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
It's kind of sad how much happier Loki is being a prince with his real family compared to being adopted by Odin. Shows how much of a screw-up Odin is.

Yes!

It can be viewed a a low-key commentary on trans-racial adoption, and the White Saviour Complex that often is underlying...

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
My one question is how come Loki has his accent still, isn't the only reason for his British accent his upbringing on Asgard?

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
VA is such a stark improvement. Super entertaining episode.

Almost as entertaining at the "criticism" being levied at what amounts to a teen-movie plot lol real serious shit

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I know Thor 1 isn't everyone's favourite, but don't complain about Thor being worthy if you didn't watch the film where that enchantment literally got created for a specific reason.

Now why Odin would be okay with partying rather than warmongering idk, but that's not the point. Watch the films 🙃