• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
With all the close-up shots, I kept expecting and waiting for the shoe to drop that Mjolnir wasn't going to come when Thor summoned it because of his Fratboy antics making him unworthy.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a fun episode, I like these high budget fan fiction. Some of yall really need a chill pill for this and need to accept what this is, aka it's high budget fan fiction.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
People hated this episode??? I thought this was the best What If episode so far. There are some folks with no sense of humor on here.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I love that Frigga waits for Odin to go to sleep so she can have a girls trip.

I love that Surtur was mackin on the Statue of Liberty.

I love that Grandmaster was the DJ.

I love Korg as the guy who can't handle his liquor.

I love that Loki turned the St. Louis Gateway into a slingshot.

I love that Carol Danvers is the cops breaking up the party after the nosy neighbor Jane called them about the noise.

I love that they got the house cleaned up just before mom got home but forgot one small detail that gave it all away.

It's American Pie, it's Superbad, it's House Party, its Clueless, it's Weird Science, it's awesome. How the fuck can you not love this?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So is Natalie Portman voicing Jane?
Almost everyone is voicing their roles. The only characters who I could find who weren't voiced by their original actors were:

Frigga
Fandral
Volstagg
Drax
Captain Marvel

And I honestly thought Marvel was voiced by their original actor while I was watching it.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Who was the random guy on that tropical island the camera seems to focus on, seems like it was meant to be something like a Stan Lee cameo?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of party poopers in this thread, I really dug this episode, just fun from start to finish.

Why the hell didn't they ask Bautista to come back and be Drax when he keeps showing up and they got everyone else?

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who was the random guy on that tropical island the camera seems to focus on, seems like it was meant to be something like a Stan Lee cameo?
You mean when Thor and Marvel are streaking across the sky? I kept expecting that to be important too, but I think it was just set dressing. Although I also thought that was a woman?

Vectorman

Oct 25, 2017
Riding the Chillwavves
With how easy the relationship between Thor and Jane is with this, it does make me wonder how they are gonna play up the relationship in Love and Thunder considering they aren't together anymore. Plus I wonder if they are still going to use that big revelation about Jane that makes her Lady Thor.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
That was a fun, refreshing episode after a series of downers. I honestly thought there would be a darker plot happening, but I'm glad it was just fun times throughout.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
YO PERFECT ULTRON WHAAT?!

Glad I went dark on all the media for this show, I'm blown away by every twist.

If we see Perfect Ultron against Zombie Full-Gauntlet Thanos ... got damn

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Would have been the perfect episode without the ending. Let this one end on a happy note.

Also, how would ultron have gotten the soul stone anyways?

And how would ultron even have been made without Tony getting freaked out at Loki's attack, which never happened.?

And all this took place before Loki would have attacked anyways, so Ultron wouldn't have even been made yet.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Would have been the perfect episode without the ending. Let this one end on a happy note.

And how would ultron even have been made without Tony getting freaked out at Loki's attack, which never happened.?

And all this took place before Loki would have attacked anyways, so Ultron wouldn't have even been made yet.
Instead of asking how, you should be asking what if.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Did not expect to see Captain Marvel get called a Karen but then again with that character and how ppl react to her maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Thor and his Bros knocked out Nick Fury, were causing destruction are were believed to be responsible for the destruction of another star system or whatever.

Maria Hill not playing around and calling the big guns makes sense. I feel like I'm watching a Saturday morning cartoon again with MCU characters, I've enjoyed the series so far.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's an Ultron from another timeline/universe. Which is why the Watcher seemed surprised at his appearance. An Ultron that won and got Visions body

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Presumably that Ultron is from a dimension that split after the initial Loki-Avengers incident.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
lol, now that was a fun episode. Great humor, and the fight between Thor and Marvel was something I had been waiting to see. You could tell Hemsworth was having fun with it. And every like from The Grandmaster was perfection.

I don't get the "this episode is about how women are party poopers" thing. Like, the whole episode is about an obnoxious frat boy nearly ending the world, and women stopping him. The only way the female characters come out bad is if you're empathizing with the obnoxious frat boy. Captain Marvel was great, Darcy was great, Jane was great. Maria Hill with an itchy trigger finger for the nukes was, admittedly, not great. But I thought this episode was a ton of fun! Makes me want more Captain Marvel.

However...

It was my impression that Infinity Stones only work in the universe that they came from, so I'm curious to see how they handle that with (what appears to be) a multi-verse hopping Infinity Ultron.

Superbagman

Nov 3, 2017
It was my impression that Infinity Stones only work in the universe that they came from, so I'm curious to see how they handle that with (what appears to be) a multi-verse hopping Infinity Ultron.
Infinity Stones don't work in whatever dimension the TVA are in, but Endgame is all about taking stones from other universes.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Did not expect to see Captain Marvel get called a Karen but then again with that character and how ppl react to her maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Thor and his Bros knocked out Nick Fury, were causing destruction are were believed to be responsible for the destruction of another star system or whatever.

But Carol is a party pooper who doesn't smile!

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Was not expecting a direct lead in to the next episode. Fun episode and hype for the next one

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I don't think women were shown in a bad light here in any way, unless you think being the adult in the room is bad somehow.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Infinity Stones don't work in whatever dimension the TVA are in, but Endgame is all about taking stones from other universes.

in endgame they're taking it from their own universe, but at a different point in the timeline. while in most media there's little distinction, in endgame and now solidified in Loki and What If, time travel is not necessarily traveling to an alternate universe.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Not my favorite. All of this could have been told in like ten minutes max, and the whole "party" premise lost its point after five, at least for me.
That said, the Carol v Thor fight was super cool, but honestly -for me- that was it. Didn't like how they made both female co-stars basically lusting playthings for Thor and fucking Howard, literally, going so far as to have Jane lying to Shield and endangering the planet, because she's SO in love with that guy she saw a day ago. She's a scientist and smart, but she's just SO smitten that she just can't help swooning.

Also the hamfisted cameos of literally everyone felt super weird to me idk.
Yeah, not my favorite :D

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
in endgame they're taking it from their own universe, but at a different point in the timeline. while in most media there's little distinction, in endgame and now solidified in Loki and What If, time travel is not necessarily traveling to an alternate universe.

They're the same thing in Marvel time travel/multiverse rules. Timeline and universe are pretty much interchangeable terms depending on what the writers need them to be.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Vision was meant to be Ultron's next form until the Avengers hijacked the casket.

Oh right, that's true. Perhaps in another timeline the Avengers don't manage to get Visions body, and Ultron does get into it. He now has one infinity stone, and is hungry for more.

Also, I don't think women were shown in a bad light here in any way, unless you think being the adult in the room is bad somehow.

Thor and his entourage were repeatedly shown they were in fact causing damage. Destroying the ferris wheel in London, they were making a giant slingshot and Thor was probably gonna demolish the opera house in Sydney. And their partaaaying already destroyed a meteor, which Shield and crew didn't know was lifeless. Carol just told Thor to cut it out, and he said 'make me'. So she made him.

Imagine thinking that telling spoiled frat boys to stop wrecking other peoples property makes you the bad guy. Or gal.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They're the same thing in Marvel time travel/multiverse rules. Timeline and universe are pretty much interchangeable terms depending on what the writers need them to be.
So far they didn't make it look like the terms are interchangeable.

In this What if series in the Doctor Strange episode they say that there is this one universe with only two timelines for that episode.

universe ≠ timeline

A universe can have multiple timelines.

Edit: The Loki tv series is a bit confusing on this topic because we only have the dialog from He Who Remains.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
There are 2 more episodes, right? So what, next week must be the origin of Vision-Ultron, and then the last episode is the multi-dimensional team-up?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
SHIELD trying to nuke Thor was pretty over the top tho

not from the media company that played a teenager drone striking his own classmates for laughs.

MCU has been wearing the absurdist humor extremely thin for me. SHIELD nuking Siberia only being defused by a god being scolded by his mother is just not it. Thankfully What If has been largely light on that sort of thing, and this Thor episode doing slapstick humor on a planetary scale works far better for the tone Marvel generally operates at.

More superhumans punching each other across continents and less wide scale military force subversions.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely one of the better episodes, and at least the most fun one.
The voice acting was a major improvement over the almost "fine ill do it leave me alone" kind of performances in previous episodes.
The plot was legit dumb, in a good way, like an optimal idea for a "what if" kind of story of not taking itself seriously.
Carol vs Thor was cool to watch, although I didn't like how Thor was equal to her strength in the first match (but I guess it's explained afterwards with Carol not wanting to go all out, still for one who shook Thanos it seems like she could've handled pre-powerup Thor easily).

That ending was odd and if they weren't going to expand upon it it'll be even more odder. I guess we'll know in the next couple of episodes.