• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
damn...I dunno how to feel about What If overall but "the difference between you and me is that you can't see the difference between you and me...!"

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode. Weirdly (and pointlessly) I really loved episodes 2, 4 and 6 while I felt 1, 3 and 5 were lacking (Captain Carter for sticking too close to the Cap story, Zombies for just trying to do too much in a short run time, and Fury's for just not being as interesting as the episodes around it). Not the best MCU series I've watched but I still really enjoyed the different takes on these stories and it was great to see certain characters return, and some of the scenarios play out... Black Panthe/Star Lord is still by far my favourite of the series, with Evil Dr Strange a close second.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Last episode of What If shows better what is wrong with Killmonger ideals than the BP movie itself, which is sad

Not really, I mean I guess T'Challa directly called out him being power hungry in here as opposed to the movie, but Killmonger's actions in the movie spoke for itself loud and clear as to why he was in the wrong. It also had Nakia, who had the same goal, but you know, without the ruthlessness.

Also the movie made it a point that despite his methods, there was something that could be learned from Killmonger's accusations that Wakanda hasn't done shit for black people that don't live within the country.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
So, for the guardians of the multiverse, we have :
EP1 Captain Carter
EP2 T'Challord
EP3 ???
EP4 Supreme Strange
EP5 ???
EP6 Black Panther Killmonger

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of the better episodes - loved how scummy everyone was here. This is 100% the "nice guys finish last" timeline. Dialogue was better, too, some nice one liners and callbacks. Some scenes definitely felt like they were in fast-forward, though, even compared to the rest of the season.

Seeing the IM1 era of the MCU, when everything was super grounded, smashed up with the Black Panther settings/characters, when stuff is way more in the "sci-fi" end of the scale, was kind of jarring. Like, man, Tony's lab was so low-tech compared to the type of stuff we get nowadays.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are different animation studios helping with different episodes? The facial animations during dialogue seemed more off than in past episodes.

Oct 25, 2017
I like the ecchi anime like "enemy manages to perform an attack that perfectly swipes off the clothing without damaging the person"

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I love this series. This episode was really fun and I don't get the what if everyone dies complaining.

We've had 5 episodes 3 of them random deaths and 2 switching places. It's pretty even so far with the show styles.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the episode but felt it could have really used more runtime to let the story breathe more (especially considering how fast the buildup was). The battle scene was pretty weak, but Ramonda getting some love was great.

The ending was definitely weird - there was no real need for the final scene if there will be follow up in another episode - we've seen Shuri is suspicious of Killmonger and we know Pepper is too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hate this. Seeing him in action in this episode just twisted the knife. I wanted T'Challa to be the main character in the MCU going forward-the way Tony had been.

Yeah. Chadwick would've made such a perfect face for the next generation of the MCU, though I feel like he would more be taking Cap's place as the heart of the MCU vs. the brain that Tony was.

I honestly don't think there's anyone left that can fill that void.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Would have like at least some hint as to how this universe dealt with Loki's attack given they skip all the way up to Age of Ultron/Civil War timeframe.

Yeah. Chadwick would've made such a perfect face for the next generation of the MCU, though I feel like he would more be taking Cap's place as the heart of the MCU vs. the brain that Tony was.

I honestly don't think there's anyone left that can fill that void.

You have Sam litterally taking Cap's place. I think Mackie can be the heart.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Mackie is nearly a good enough actor for that, and Sam is a very boring character. Chadwick was special in a way that nobody else in the MCU came close to.

I would have agreed about Makie before FAWS. I think he really shined in that. No, he was no Boseman, but I still think he could pull it off well enough.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would have agreed about Makie before FAWS. I think he really shined in that.

I definitely liked him in the scenes with Isaiah, but I just can't buy him as the frontman for the entire MCU. There's a certain level of screen presence you need for that and I feel like Evans, Downey and Boseman were the actors who had that. Holland doesn't have it, Ruffalo doesn't have it, Cumberbatch's performance is too bristly for it, and they so horribly bungled Carol Danvers' character in her intro film that even an Oscar winner like Larson probably won't have it. Hell, even Hemsworth really only clicked with people once he pushed his character into self-parody.

It seems so clear that Boseman was their choice to be the franchise's lead moving forward, and losing him has kind of rendered Phase 4 a little...I don't know, rudderless?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
it is an interesting point. I suppose we will never know what the "original" Black Panther 2 was going to be about? If it was even written before he passed.

I'd like to think that, years down the road, we'll get a comic version of it.

Heck, with how rich Disney is, they might even animate it if they think they could get away with a new voice actor for TChalla.
I definitely liked him in the scenes with Isaiah, but I just can't buy him as the frontman for the entire MCU. There's a certain level of screen presence you need for that and I feel like Evans, Downey and Boseman were the actors who had that. Holland doesn't have it, Ruffalo doesn't have it, Cumberbatch's performance is too bristly for it, and they so horribly bungled Carol Danvers' character in her intro film that even an Oscar winner like Larson probably won't have it. Hell, even Hemsworth really only clicked with people once he pushed his character into self-parody.

It seems so clear that Boseman was their choice to be the franchise's lead moving forward, and losing him has kind of rendered Phase 4 a little...I don't know, rudderless?

I don't think there was going to really be a frontman for the MCU the way Steve and Tony were. Especially after Shang-Chi I think they're setting up three pillars. You got your earth based normal stuff, you got your earth based magical stuff, and you have your cosmic stuff. They'll collide now and then, but I don't think it's going to be as "neat" Phase 1-3 were.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there was going to really be a frontman for the MCU the way Steve and Tony were. Especially after Shang-Chi I think they're setting up three pillars. You got your earth based normal stuff, you got your earth based magical stuff, and you have your cosmic stuff. They'll collide now and then, but I don't think it's going to be as "neat" Phase 1-3 were.

I think that's certainly true, they said outright they don't want to do the exact same thing a second time, but while they're figuring out how the pillars work and how they cross over with each other, they still probably wanted to have the MCU have a "face", if only for marketing.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
After Shang-Chi I can definitely see Simu Liu being the heart of the next era of the MCU. He had a very good presence in the movie, only overshadowed by Tony Leung.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the posts about how Killmonger's goal was never to be the Black Panther. My take is that after T'Challa died his mom assumed the role of the military general, but otherwise the Black Panther is Wakanda's highest military position. With Killmonger in that role he's in the position to make the decisions about exporting Wakadan technology to black people around the world, which is his goal

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel Zombies episode was one of the weaker ones overall but I actually still enjoyed it a lot. IMO it sets up the black comedy angle very early on so I didn't actually get too much whiplash between the comedy and the drama. Honestly it took Paul Rudd and his constant dad jokes for the episode to finally starting getting on my nerves. Also Vision totally acts like a damn fool but the parallels between his behavior and Wanda's in Wandavision are downright palpable and I took it as him acting wildly irrational despite him saying otherwise. Also also the Zombie Thanos stinger didn't bother me too much, though I imagine if things were actually intended for a continuation (which I doubt) it might've been better using, like, Zombie Thor or something.

Also also also, this being the first time Uncle Ben gets mentioned was legit kinda funny.

This episode meanwhile starts off a whole lot stronger though things do mellow out going along. This Killmonger comes off like something out of a damn fanfic with his planning ($10 says his favorite anime was Death Note 🤣) but it's very cool to see how everything breaks down around him and I think it helps really emphasize just how bad of a person he's meant to be. The parts with Tony Stark were legit really solid (Wingert still killing it) and I liked seeing quite a bit more from Klaw and the Wakandan Royal Guard.

But man, the uses of Boseman in these episodes is hitting. From the last episode and him ending it reprising his bit on death to this one killing him off and then having him end it once again on the Astral Plane. That last scene is exactly one of the things I've had in mind when I've discussed recasting T'Challa, and a lot of those feelings are just being raked back up again and it's just....damn, they really were making him the new face of the MCU weren't they. 😭

Lol at saying Gen:Lock MBJ can't voice act in a series where Sebastian Stan just dryly reads off the script.

Funnily enough I thought Stan was markedly better in the Zombies episode. Partly because he can just be Winter Soldier gruff and doesn't have to be witty like 40s Bucky was, partly because I hope he got a bit more familiar with things as the show progresses (I'd figure the voice recordings were for the most part sequential).

....That said, thinking about his portrayals with TFATWS in particular....Stan is clearly a physical actor who acts with his face and eyes. Why the hell did we think he could just handle voicework? 😂

I don't understand the posts about how Killmonger's goal was never to be the Black Panther. My take is that after T'Challa died his mom assumed the role of the military general, but otherwise the Black Panther is Wakanda's highest military position. With Killmonger in that role he's in the position to make the decisions about exporting Wakadan technology to black people around the world, which is his goal

In this timeline T'Chaka is still alive and still the king, and it's admittedly a bit of a question mark how involved in military strategy a non-king Black Panther would be. Still, he's clearly proving his military expertise and is already goading Wakanda into being more imperialistic, so it's definitely still a goal in his sight.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
If they wanna namedrop Gundam and go anime mecha with an episode, they should have collaborated with an actual anime studio. Would have been interesting to see it in a different artstyle.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I like the show, but I think it misses the mark with all of them being downer endings so far. A lot of What Ifs ended pretty upbeat, hell sometimes in better places than 616

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the endings have to mostly be good, but I think the overall outcomes are just being good or bad and could have more variety in specifics.

Oct 25, 2017
The fake Robert Downey Jr is close enough to the real one that it basically becomes an audio version of the uncanny valley.

And his final "I am Iron Man" impression was terrible.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
The killmonger episode was the most intellectually infuriating one yet. I felt like I was watching something so stupid. They didn't even build gundams they built Metal Gears

anyway. There were so many freakin leaps in logic, I checked out. Still not as uninteresting as Captain Carter, but I found it to be too contrived.

When they try to fast forward through a lot of the details/events that showed up in the previous movies, it loses me severely.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The MCU has never used Killmonger well. MBJ has always played him amazingly, but they just cannot help but undercut his point of view with "AND HE IS JUST A VIOLENT MURDERERRR.. ANYWAYS LET'S KILL HIM OFF"

Even the point where he faces the ghost of T'Challa misses the point of the movie - why he returns to his home in Oakland.

Just... gahhhhHHHHHH