• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I really hope Peter & Hope interact more in the Sacred Timeline. Hope's motherly relationship towards Peter was heart-warming……& eventually heart-breaking.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Not all actors are voice actors

Boseman, Brolin, Rooker and Jackson have consistently been killing it.

Stan, Ruffalo, and others... Not so much.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Peter & Hope interact more in the Sacred Timeline. Hope's motherly relationship towards Peter was heart-warming……& eventually heart-breaking.

As an aside, I really dislike referring to the MCU as "the sacred timeline". It feels distinctly un-Marvel.

Marvel always prided itself on treating its comics universe as just another universe. That's why the main comic universe is Earth-616 and not Earth-1 or something like that. Seeing people take up "The Sacred Timeline" nickname, a nickname that comes from an organization controlled by a villain, feels wrong.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed that, I'd take a series just based around the Marvel characters surviving the zombie apocalypse.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That episode had a few cool moments and the concept was entertaining, but the non-stop jokes just killed it for me.

Hopefully Ultron's episode has the same quality as Strange's ep.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
They dialed things down a lot for this episode as I expected. The humor level was too annoying to get much atmosphere for me. Still, we got some nice interactions with zombie heroes.

Also I have no idea what Thanos is doing there but I don't really think he can make things much worse.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Also I guess they struck the balance between mindless zombies and having them still able to use powers and fight like normal. If Hank was scary in Episode 3 he'd be 10x scarier as intelligent zombie shrinker here. Which I guess he did do in the original Marvel Zombies. Anyways there'd be nobody left if he had a mind there

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I think this was definitely the weakest of the What Ifs so far. I kind of hate Marvel Zombies so I don't mind that they didn't really try to adapt it, but tonally I just don't think that the episode worked. It's admirable the way they really did try to get as gruesome as a PG-13 rating would allow, but the complete non-reaction and jokes from everyone while their friends were being murdered really sapped any kind of tension from the episode.

This probably needed to be an hour and a half long, kick all the jokes out, and then a hard R to really do a successful version of it. There were some incredibly great seeds of some great ideas in this. The Vision stuff especially would have made for a chilling third act if this skewed closer to actual horror and had more room to breathe.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I think this was definitely the weakest of the What Ifs so far. I kind of hate Marvel Zombies so I don't mind that they didn't really try to adapt it, but tonally I just don't think that the episode worked. It's admirable the way they really did try to get as gruesome as a PG-13 rating would allow, but the complete non-reaction and jokes from everyone while their friends were being murdered really sapped any kind of tension from the episode.

This probably needed to be an hour and a half long, kick all the jokes out, and then a hard R to really do a successful version of it. There were some incredibly great seeds of some great ideas in this. The Vision stuff especially would have made for a chilling third act if this skewed closer to actual horror and had more room to breathe.
Yeah they really didn't want to commit to darkness here despite showing what they did. I wonder if the studios said they had to tone things down further or keep things but paint a smile on it and they chose the latter.

Like Peter lost multiple people and was just too chill, and Scott lost his thief friend from two movies, his mentor and mentor's wife who he made a connection with psychically, and his wife twice.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
Like Peter lost multiple people and was just too chill, and Scott lost his thief friend from two movies, his mentor and mentor's wife who he made a connection with psychically, and his wife twice.

I mean, they explain in the episode how they're able to get over it so quickly, at least in Peter's case specifically.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Man, what is it about movies and shows where they constantly mess up how the transit systems of New York and New Jersey work?

Going to Grand Central for a train to New Jersey? Was it so hard to show Penn Station?

It's probably a licensing/rights issue? At least that's generally what I assume when it comes to things like that.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I usually don't mind Marcel quips but these characters would not be making jokes right after their comrades died.

Also, Parker's character design was mid-20s but he still had the voice and personality of a high school kid. It didn't match up at all.

I thought the episode was pretty bad and I love most things Marvel.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
This was just as dumb as the marvel zombie comics , maybe a little more since they undercut how serious it is with rapid fire humour every two seconds. Big step down from the stellar Strange episode.

Not sure what's next week but hopefully it's an improvement.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This episode really doesn't seem to be clicking with people like some of the other episodes have. And I'm not just saying that based on reactions in this thread, but on other social media platforms.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm so glad I watch these episodes prior to reading any internet discourse about them...

I thought it was a really fun episode, with some great stuff in it. I mean, the title, "What if...Zombies?!" was enough to let me know that this episode was not going to take itself too seriously. And in 32 minutes, they told a fun, goofy, sometimes heartwarming and sad story of superheroes dealing with a zombie apocalypse. Nevermind that zombie apocalypses are inherently kind of stupid (and I enjoy zombie apocalypses, mind you), but throwing superheroes into the mix is just absurd and goofy, and really fun.

The cast of survivors they assembled were also really great, and my only complaint about the whole thing is that it was the aforementioned 32 minutes. This easily could have been a multi-episode story. After last week's heartbreaking episode, I actually liked that this one was lighter in tone. The character interactions were great, some of the humor landed really well (and some didn't, which is par for the course of anything attempting to be humorous), and the plot twists and hero deaths were entertaining.

Overall, I really enjoyed the episode, and I loved the ending. I'm really hoping we do get follow ups to some of these plot threads in a future season of What If. There's a lot of potential for further exploration of many of the concepts introduced in this first season. Hell, some of them could easily spin off into their own multi-versal series (I'm looking at you, Captain Carter...).

This entire series has been a lot of fun, and even though I knew beforehand what each episode is going to be (the double edged sword of working on a Marvel IP is that spoilers are a big part of the job lol), it's turned out to be so much better than I anticipated, and I'm really excited to see the final half of the season. Marvel's Disney + shows haven't disappointed me yet, and it doesn't look like this one will either

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My big issue with this episode is this should have been Hope's story. The zombie apocalypse inadvertently came about because of the Ant-Family. But Hope gets turned even before the climax or even before she can reunite with Scott's head.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this episode didn't really do it for me all that much mostly cause I'm kinda done with Zombies as they're not interesting to me anymore.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
My big issue with this episode is this should have been Hope's story. The zombie apocalypse inadvertently came about because of the Ant-Family. But Hope gets turned even before the climax or even before she can reunite with Scott's head.
Yeah it's like why not cut off her arm the moment they notice?

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
This was surprisingly gross. I was shocked that they did the T'challa-food bit from the comic.

Could have been interesting if they had to team up with Thanos at the end and actually help him collect the stones in order to stop the virus, but alas he got zombified somehow.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah, this episode didn't do it for me. I'm not the biggest zombie fan either but I agree that ending seemed strangely abrupt too. Episode 4 was much better. I do hope we get back to more fun, lighter episodes.

I'm digging this Watcher character. In MCU terms, is he purely a product of this series, or was there some sort of build up to him before? I spent a good chunk of the first episode wondering if he was supposed to be a TVA person, perhaps even a variation of He Who Remains, lol.

I'm late to this post but I wanted to say it inspired me to rewatch the Silver Surfer animated series, an obscure gem from 1998 that was cancelled after one season. Before What If, it was really one of the standout portrayals of the Watcher. Even the episodes open with The Watcher's narration in a similar way to What If? (at the 30 second Mark after the intro)

The show holds up surprisingly well imo. There's even an episode that actually goes into the Watcher's race. It's on Disney+

I remember watching it in real time back when Civil War/Homecoming was in production.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Wasn't a big fan of this episode. It didn't really feel like an MCU What If, it felt like a generic Marvel What If, and there was a bunch of bizarre inconsistencies all around.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Bafflingly horrid episode. Even the character models were worse this week. Bucky looked like a Barbie doll for example. And why wouldnt Okoye's model match her real life skin tone?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really care for this one. Not a big fan of zombie stories in general, and that ending was just too abrupt.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
They need to extend the episodes

Nothing is getting time to set in. That said, Okoye's American reality TV burn was very appreciated

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I really want to like it (especially since the concept behind it is cool), but I'm really not feeling this show at all unfortunately.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
That situation was so weird. Hope was super irresponsible. Why would you stay giant when you're about to turn? Why wouldn't you figure out a way to quickly disable your suit so zombie you can fight your friends?

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The end of the episode reminded me of the Capcom panel endings, just a pic of Thanos is enough. I enjoyed it, wished it were longer.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This was the weakest episode so far for me. To be fair I was coming in already disliking the source material, and while the episode was better then I feared, it wound up being kind of blah. It had some cool bits, Hope with the ants at the beginning was very cool, but then the ants were never used again. Sharon, Happy, and Kurt were fun characters you wouldn't immediately expect for this kind of story, but wound up just being fodder that outside of Happy, are never mentioned again.

I get why they felt the need to have a lot of jokes, both to try and make an effort to mimic the dark humor of the original comic and to avoid the episode being monotonously depressing, but like the previous Avengers murder mystery episode it just wound up undermining the episode's tone. The humor needed to either be much darker, or more obviously strained by everyone to really demonstrate it as a desperate coping mechanism. The deliveries we got were just kind of generic, but part of that might be because the voice direction on the show in general has been kind of weak probably due to covid.

Yeah that was weird. It kind of felt like Hope was originally going to be the main character and then they decided to shift focus to Peter as they were making it. The whole conversation about having hope and trying to get her to the cure only to immediately drop her thirty seconds later felt weird.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
That situation was so weird. Hope was super irresponsible. Why would you stay giant when you're about to turn? Why wouldn't you figure out a way to quickly disable your suit so zombie you can fight your friends?
Yeah it was odd bc Hank as a zombie definitely changed size and turned all the Avengers so you would think Hope could do the same. Inconsistent when they could have just had hope throw her shrinking device away. It seemed they wrote the episode more on setpieces than internal logic.

On a side note: I did like Hope's Ant-swarm destroying zombies even though it was never used again (actually did she use ants at all after that?). I think Doom did something similar in one of the Marvel Zombie comics

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

I was wondering that until she turned giant. Had she not needed to do that she should have disabled the suit. In their defense they thought the cure itself was there, and didn't know they'd have to go to Wakanda too.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
No context spoiler picture of What if... Zombies?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I thought it was fairly entertaining even if it was written incredibly inconsistently and poorly, since the others also suffer from this.

"Ew I'm covered in <person I was just close to>" feels like they paid a twelve year old to write the punch ups this episode.

That was also a total non-ending, did they just say "fuck it" and give up?

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Odd mood whiplashes and I didn't really like how that episode just kinda ended abruptly. I kept thinking the cure was actually gonna have something to do with Hulk.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Eh. It was good dumb fun but the pacing ruined it's potential. These episodes are way too fucking short and it hurts them so much.

The Doctor Strange one was the only episode that felt evenly paced.

Really bummed out with this series overall.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this show just sucks. I felt the potential in that first episode and from them it just has been boring remixes pushed back by it's own fórmula. Just a lack of visión and commitment to what it sets out to do.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this show just sucks. I felt the potential in that first episode and from them it just has been boring remixes pushed back by it's own fórmula. Just a lack of visión and commitment to what it sets out to do.

The first episode was by far the worst though. It's only gotten better since then with T'Challa Star-Lord and Dr. Strange, Dumbass Supreme being highlights.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
The first episode was by far the worst though. It's only gotten better since then with T'Challa Star-Lord and Dr. Strange, Dumbass Supreme being highlights.

I disagree completely. Episode 1 had the most clear concept thus far for a simple What If question that creates genuine ripple effects in the universe. Episode 1 had a breakneck pace that I understand why people wouldn't like, but I prefer that mini-movie style to these by the numbers and emptyhanded cartoon vignettes. These followups are huffing on fumes to me

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
I was really looking forward to the Zombies episode after how great the Dr. Strange episode was last week. It was a huge letdown. Worst episode by far for me.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Latest episode was weak. Like how do zombie avengers maintain their equipment and manage to be organized as a team? I get that its just a show but this episode was all over the place and then it just suddenly ended. I'm assuming they didn't get the cure out in time? Loved every episode before this though.