• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That final scene reminded me a lot of this moment from Thanos Wins, where Young Thanos deems Old Thanos too whipped and vows to never become him

Thanos-18-Marvel-spoilers-8.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Okay that's the second time.

Let's face it, it's Shuma. Motherfucker's hanging out in the temporal waiting room waiting for people to open doors to other realities like he does

Kang and Shuma, multiverse buddies forever

It's gotta be. That'd be too much of a coincidence. And there's only one Shuma

Mostly good - I remember virtually nothing about Dr. Strange, and honestly didn't even remember him and Christine being romantically involved, so this kinda felt like a standalone story to me. (Evidently they broke up before the movie starts, so I guess that's the division point here - they stay together longer?) Really cool premise, decent execution, nice downer ending. Dialogue was bad, which continues to be an issue, but Cumberbatch is a good VA so he saves it. I thought the Strange v. Strange fight was kind of boring, actually - not as visually interesting as it could have been, mostly just beam fights and stuff - but otherwise can't complain.

The timeline vs. universe thing continues to get confused, and the "absolute point" thing is completely pulled out of nowhere, so I think it's safe to say that there's gonna be absolutely no consistency going forward about how time/the multiverse works.

Wouldn't be surprised if Evil Strange pops up again at some point, being trapped alone in a dead universe. And there's DEFINITELY gonna be a Shuma-Gorath appearance at some point. That's twice now they've show weird tentacles coming from an eldritch portal, and twice they conspicuously avoided showing who they're coming from. In the Captain Carter episode I was assuming it was just visual shorthand, but now? Something's up.
Yup Shuma is an easily pissed omnidimensional being. Definitely The endgame for what if and yeah likely in MOM too

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I figure the Watcher will at least speak to someone else by the end of the series

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It's very much a product of it's time, the anime adaptation is pretty good too.

I'm not the biggest anime fan, but Steins;Gate and and Noein are two stories I absolutely fawn over.

Also, I love how they seeded the Watcher watching by making him more visible to us as an audience. And the only reason he interacts with a reality is cuz Darkter Strange noticed he was there

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I imagine they record their voices while in-between takes of their films. I have to imagine it's easier to grab actors while they're already filming for your studio.

Doing some proper voice work usually takes (a few) hours, and a bunch of the characters feature in multiple episodes (so most of the scripts of the season should be near done before recording); so I can imagine some of the cast spending a few days in a voice booth. That said, it does make sense to do it when you already have a bunch of actors close, so near/during MCU-filming makes sense when possible. I do believe that Boseman recorded his lines +/- a year before the series aired, so that would indicate that that was after he filmed Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.

Akiba756

Oct 1, 2020
Sao Paolo, Brazil
I am just thinking if the Chrono Trigger Solution would work here

Ie: tricking the Stephen from the past into thinking that Christina is dead, then bringing her to the future, thus preserving the timeline and preventing the paradox

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Steve Rogers got to live a happy life with his dead girlfriend using time travel shenanigans yet Stephen "Sorcerer Supreme" Strange can't even do it

dae.jpg

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Steve Rogers got to live a happy life with his dead girlfriend using time travel shenanigans yet Stephen "Sorcerer Supreme" Strange can't even do it

dae.jpg
Was literally just saying to myself that Thanos resurrected Vision just to kill his ass again. And literally got his dream farm out of it.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely amazing episode.

Also Rachel McAdams had more to do in this that she did in the entire 1st movie 😅

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Really fantastic episode. Very poignant.

My current episode ranking so far is 2, 4, 1, 3 ( I find Nick fury a great side character, but anything focusing on shield is a snore fest for me)

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man some of the animation in this ep was WOO lawd tight shit. Probably wouldn't have been half as rad if it was movie-style CG.

Also fun to see Jeffrey Wright's face right there in the Watcher, kinda like Ruffalo Hulk. And the lighting was kinda weird but it looks like they made the Watcher black, to match? I appreciate that, wonder if they'll do that for the entire "race" of watchers, as it were, or if there will be variation between em. Or if it'll ever even be touched on. I know there were those watchers in GOTG but that was mostly just a gag.

Oct 27, 2017
Having the whole narrative spin around the death of a lady was pretty tropey, but once it got over that initial setup and into the meat of the episode - I thought it was quite good. I didn't expect Dr Strange to vore himself.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It was a good episode, but I personally hate the theme its theme of "this awful thing has to happen or else the world collapses". It's a recurring theme in time travel stories where the status quo of a universe has to remain unchanged, so the only way characters can justify not stopping shit like the holocaust is to say that "Oh, it's a fixed point, it just HAS to happen, or the universe implodes". In this 'what if' case, where status quo isn't a concern, it allows the character to take it to it's logical conclusion and actually have the universe implode for strange. But for me, the issue of the structure of these kinds of stories is the arbitrariness and unrealistic behavior needed to make it happen. Like, it got straight up comical how utterly random things kept happening so that Christine dies, including atleast one case where she is dancing and dies...seemingly for no reason? Like she was having a heart attack or something? At age 25 or however old she is lol? And then the love that Stephen has is treated solid fixture for the rest of his live, even centuries later, where he cannot get over this girl, where I think that's a very teenage understanding of love. Which I get is the target audience, so maybe I'm just being an old man, but being an old, elderly man at this point, I know that love is something that has to be maintained in order to work. Which, okay, maybe the series about the time wizard doesn't need to be realistic, but the problem with that is that, narratively, it doesn't give much characterization to Christine herself. Like, she's already a pretty flat character in the single movie she was in before this, but here's she's very stereotypically a damsel in distress, post-mortum edition, without much to her except that she likes Stephen, likes pizza, and really wants her goddamn creme brulee. Compare that to the first episode, with Steve and Peggy, where we were shown on a somewhat constant basis how and why Steve and Peggy were in love with each other and constantly strengthened their bond (I'm not saying the first episode was better overall, just that they had a better depiction of love).

The fact is, the only way the future works out is if this one woman dies to motivate this one dude to be a hero, and that's just....well, it's a shitty message, both because it's just not realistic human behavior and it's arbitrary (if he's this motivated by her death, you'd think telling him "Look fuckface, either you become sorcorer supreme on your own or Christine bites it to make you do so" would get him to play game), but also because it robs Christine of characterization or agency and simply makes her a plot mechanic that just HAS to be pushed in order for the story to happen. And I just think that's an old fashioned way of storytelling that I would prefer to leave behind. Not that that makes it inherently bad, I guess, like I said, this is a well produced and well told episode as a whole. It's just made of tropes I generally do not like.

Last edited:

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if Evil Strange pops up again at some point, being trapped alone in a dead universe. And there's DEFINITELY gonna be a Shuma-Gorath appearance at some point. That's twice now they've show weird tentacles coming from an eldritch portal, and twice they conspicuously avoided showing who they're coming from. In the Captain Carter episode I was assuming it was just visual shorthand, but now? Something's up.

Evil Strange was giving me both Mephisto and Belasco vibes throughout his descent into darkness, so I could see him being the MCU version of either of them.

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I think I'll have to turn in my anime credentials, because I've never even heard of this series. Gonna add it to my list.

Do it! I absolutely adore Noein and like I said I am not an anime head at alll.

Random aside, Benedict is a great VA cuz you can hear the difference in his Evil Strange vs the classic MCU Strange. I loved that nuance

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
It was a good episode, but I personally hate the theme its theme of "this awful thing has to happen or else the world collapses". It's a recurring theme in time travel stories where the status quo of a universe has to remain unchanged, so the only way characters can justify not stopping shit like the holocaust is to say that "Oh, it's a fixed point, it just HAS to happen, or the universe implodes". In this 'what if' case, where status quo isn't a concern, it allows the character to take it to it's logical conclusion and actually have the universe implode for strange. But for me, the issue of the structure of these kinds of stories is the arbitrariness and unrealistic behavior needed to make it happen. Like, it got straight up comical how utterly random things kept happening so that Christine dies, including atleast one case where she is dancing and dies...seemingly for no reason? Like she was having a heart attack or something? At age 25 or however old she is lol? And then the love that Stephen has is treated solid fixture for the rest of his live, even centuries later, where he cannot get over this girl, where I think that's a very teenage understanding of love. Which I get is the target audience, so maybe I'm just being an old man, but being an old, elderly man at this point, I know that love is something that has to be maintained in order to work. Which, okay, maybe the series about the time wizard doesn't need to be realistic, but the problem with that is that, narratively, it doesn't give much characterization to Christine herself. Like, she's already a pretty flat character in the single movie she was in before this, but here's she's very stereotypically a damsel in distress, post-mortum edition, without much to her except that she likes Stephen, likes pizza, and really wants her goddamn creme brulee. Compare that to the first episode, with Steve and Peggy, where we were shown on a somewhat constant basis how and why Steve and Peggy were in love with each other and constantly strengthened their bond (I'm not saying the first episode was better overall, just that they had a better depiction of love).

The fact is, the only way the future works out is if this one woman dies to motivate this one dude to be a hero, and that's just....well, it's a shitty message, both because it's just not realistic human behavior and it's arbitrary (if he's this motivated by her death, you'd think telling him "Look fuckface, either you become sorcorer supreme on your own or Christine bites it to make you do so" would get him to play game), but also because it robs Christine of characterization or agency and simply makes her a plot mechanic that just HAS to be pushed in order for the story to happen. And I just think that's an old fashioned way of storytelling that I would prefer to leave behind. Not that that makes it inherently bad, I guess, like I said, this is a well produced and well told episode as a whole. It's just made of tropes I generally do not like.

Yeah, I agree with almost everything you say here. It would have been more interesting for Strange to "lose his heart" in a different way then just fridging a fairly undeveloped character. This was just an easy way to keep him "sympathetic" while having him do pretty horrible things to get what he wanted. The only point I disagree with you is that we are supposed to believe love is fueling his actions by the end. Dark Strange believes he is doing it out of love, but his other half calls it out as obsession and a belief that he can fix everything.

Dark Strange might not have been pure evil, but he was a narcissist who refused to believe there was anything he couldn't fix/control. Some people have said they think he will get a chance at redemption if the Watcher pulls him out later in the show, but this feels like a really fitting end for the character.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
'What If' is really becoming some of what I've enjoyed most out of Phase 4. So far it's E4>E2>E1>E3 for me. Yeah, I'm a sucker for a good retelling of The First Avenger and the pilot took me back.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree with almost everything you say here. It would have been more interesting for Strange to "lose his heart" in a different way then just fridging a fairly undeveloped character. This was just an easy way to keep him "sympathetic" while having him do pretty horrible things to get what he wanted. The only point I disagree with you is that we are supposed to believe love is fueling his actions by the end. Dark Strange believes he is doing it out of love, but his other half calls it out as obsession and a belief that he can fix everything.

Dark Strange might not have been pure evil, but he was a narcissist who refused to believe there was anything he couldn't fix/control. Some people have said they think he will get a chance at redemption if the Watcher pulls him out later in the show, but this feels like a really fitting end for the character.
The love thing is more of a semantic difference. I don't disagree that it is an obsession, but that's not mutually exclusive from it being "love", and I think the main disagreement people have with that is that they see love as a pure good thing, whereas I think love can be harmful if done in certain contexts, such as strange obsessing over saving Christine at the cost of the entire universe. Like I said, the debate is largely semantic - we all see the same thing and agree it's bad. I just don't have a problem calling this bad thing strange does love, while others do, but we're talking about the same thing.

And I agree with you about it being a good end. The whole point of the series here is to unshackle themselves from the demands of canon and the status quo. Here, they can just have it end tragically, so let this Strange have to live in his destroyed universe.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
The love thing is more of a semantic difference. I don't disagree that it is an obsession, but that's not mutually exclusive from it being "love", and I think the main disagreement people have with that is that they see love as a pure good thing, whereas I think love can be harmful if done in certain contexts, such as strange obsessing over saving Christine at the cost of the entire universe. Like I said, the debate is largely semantic - we all see the same thing and agree it's bad. I just don't have a problem calling this bad thing strange does love, while others do, but we're talking about the same thing.

And I agree with you about it being a good end. The whole point of the series here is to unshackle themselves from the demands of canon and the status quo. Here, they can just have it end tragically, so let this Strange have to live in his destroyed universe.

That's a good point. Media generally takes a pretty simplistic view of love and romance. Maybe with more time the episode could have examined his relationship with Christine more and explored why that relationship was worth doing what he did. What we got was a lot of fun, but it had to rely on some tired tropes as a narrative shorthand to get the story to go where they wanted it. Still, after being a little lukewarm after the first episode, it has been fun seeing this series really embrace the freedom of not being the "cannon" timeline.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

This is an actual scientific principle about why events can't be changed. The Novikov self-consistency principle. From wiki: "The principle asserts that if an event exists that would cause a paradox or any "change" to the past whatsoever, then the probability of that event is zero. It would thus be impossible to create time paradoxes."

So basically yes the universe will make sure whatever is supposed to happen will happen. If Christine is supposed to die, yes she will die no matter what happens. Probably borrowing from that principle for their "Absolute time points".

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This is an actual scientific principle about why events can't be changed. The Novikov self-consistency principle. From wiki: "The principle asserts that if an event exists that would cause a paradox or any "change" to the past whatsoever, then the probability of that event is zero. It would thus be impossible to create time paradoxes."

So basically yes the universe will make sure whatever is supposed to happen will happen. If Christine is supposed to die, yes she will die no matter what happens. Probably borrowing from that principle for their "Absolute time points".
Though since this is a what if, we know it's that you can't change that specific event, but you could stop it if you went further back. It's not that there aren't other ways Strange becomes sourced supreme, there are just none where he gets Christine

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017

I think that's a misapplication of the concept. That ought to apply to any change at all to the Christine event, but it obviously doesn't. Like, the paradox already happens the first time Strange time travels, because when he does, he signals in his car and drive safely like he did. That creates a lack of a causal connection between the other driver hitting him when they could see him. The car hitting him regardless is itself a paradox unless the idea is that that car was intentionally trying to kill them, which isn't what the episode suggests. In fact, in the timeline where they go dancing, she just falls over dead, without an apparent cause. That itself is a paradox as well.

And it's all nonsense, because according to the fiction, the only 'paradox' that christine's death is preventing is the idea that Strange not becoming Sorcerer Supreme, which is stupid because we know for a fact that he can become Sorcerer Supreme without her dying because he fucking does in the mainline MCU.

The narrative hinges on the idea that Christine has to die or else Strange just doesn't do his thing is dumb, because if he's that devoted to Christine, then all you really need to do time travel a little further back and convince him that if he doesn't become Sorcerer Supreme, Christine will die. Which shouldn't be that hard. Strange shows up to himself from the future, says "you need to do this or Christine is fucked, and not in the way you like" does magic to prove he's the real deal and Strange's gonna be heading towards Kathmandu on the next flight.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I think that's a misapplication of the concept. That ought to apply to any change at all to the Christine event, but it obviously doesn't. Like, the paradox already happens the first time Strange time travels, because when he does, he signals in his car and drive safely like he did. That creates a lack of a causal connection between the other driver hitting him when they could see him. The car hitting him regardless is itself a paradox unless the idea is that that car was intentionally trying to kill them, which isn't what the episode suggests. In fact, in the timeline where they go dancing, she just falls over dead, without an apparent cause. That itself is a paradox as well.

And it's all nonsense, because according to the fiction, the only 'paradox' that christine's death is preventing is the idea that Strange not becoming Sorcerer Supreme, which is stupid because we know for a fact that he can become Sorcerer Supreme without her dying because he fucking does in the mainline MCU.

The narrative hinges on the idea that Christine has to die or else Strange just doesn't do his thing is dumb, because if he's that devoted to Christine, then all you really need to do time travel a little further back and convince him that if he doesn't become Sorcerer Supreme, Christine will die. Which shouldn't be that hard. Strange shows up to himself from the future, says "you need to do this or Christine is fucked, and not in the way you like" does magic to prove he's the real deal and Strange's gonna be heading towards Kathmandu on the next flight.
say nexus beings always have to come into being
and in this universe the only way he becomes SS is by her dying (just like the MCU one is probably he had to lose his hands). by the very fabric of this universe she is always going to die even to the extent he resurrects her because he can't change it and still be in that universe. He failed only because he did go one step further and leave his universe because he only thought of timelines unlike Kang does

level of cosmic awareness is?
Timeline (as seen in Kangs place)
Universe (as seen as the intros)
timeline/universe (as seen as the MCU)

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
say nexus beings always have to come into being
and in this universe the only way he becomes SS is by her dying (just like the MCU one is probably he had to lose his hands). by the very fabric of this universe she is always going to die even to the extent he resurrects her because he can't change it and still be in that universe. He failed only because he did go one step further and leave his universe because he only thought of timelines unlike Kang does

level of cosmic awareness is?
Timeline (as seen in Kangs place)
Universe (as seen as the intros)
timeline/universe (as seen as the MCU)
You're not really refuting my complaint so much as describing it, but uncritically.

The narrative frames her death for Strange's ascension as Sorcerer Supreme as being vital and inevitable for arbitrary reasons, and I think that's bad. The answer to the question of why does Christine have to die, despite other ways of Strange becoming Sorcerer Supreme (itself being a mandatory event is arbitrary), is "because she just does" and saying "because it's a nexus event" is as meaningless and callous as saying "god willed it". And I don't like that for reasons I stated and because it both eliminates naturalistic storytelling for the idea that there is this mandatory order to the universe when that's obviously not realistic, and it carries the inherent implication of a cosmic justification to real world tragedies. Don't like it at all.

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
You're not really refuting my complaint so much as describing it, but uncritically.

The narrative frames her death for Strange's ascension as Sorcerer Supreme as being vital and inevitable for arbitrary reasons, and I think that's bad. The answer to the question of why does Christine have to die, despite other ways of Strange becoming Sorcerer Supreme (itself being a mandatory event is arbitrary), is "because she just does" and saying "because it's a nexus event" is as meaningless and callous as saying "god willed it". And I don't like that for reasons I stated and because it both eliminates naturalistic storytelling for the idea that there is this mandatory order to the universe when that's obviously not realistic, and it carries the inherent implication of a cosmic justification to real world tragedies. Don't like it at all.

I wonder if that's the point though. It's arbitrary that it's her specifically.

I think the question posed is what if Stephen lost his heart. What if no matter the circumstance he could never fill his heart?

Obeng tells Stephen "Love can break more than your heart, it can shatter your mind."

Unfortunately, the device they choose to explore the narrative is some basic a** fridging, but I don't believe her death specifically was the catalyst, but moreso what would happen if Stephen lost what he loves in an Absolute way. Would he get the Point or drive himself to a Madness.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Lol, Uatu you're not supposed to do that shit. Of course he shows himself to be like "You dumbass. You fuckin moron." right before the end of a universe
I mean that's usually when he shows up, when something world/reality ending goes down, that's when he's allowed to show himself, even state his purpose but he can't directly influence events

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Benedict had strong VO chops, I dig.

Also-

the watcher: 'you fucking idiot. you massive buffoon. who fucks around with time like this- wait you're not henry mccoy'