• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode
Also hope that everyone that has said "can relate" or whatever with Strange dooming *the entire universe* for one person he loves, have the same opinion about what Wanda did

I initially thought this season would end in a team-up, but I'm getting the sense that it's a season 2 thing.
But the characters we're seeing so far could be recruits for that.
There's an Avengers-esque shot of several of these characters (like Captain Carter and T'Challa Star-Lord) in a couple of the promo trailers for the show, so it's likely happening

Oct 26, 2017
Uatu will get involved when the threat goes multiversal. I'm calling it.

And did anyone else think that it was the Ancient One who was causing all of Christine's other deaths? Some, like the guy shooting her at the pizzeria and the hotel blowing up, are a bit too ridiculous to be only just fate.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know...I thought the episode was a cool concept but it was also so repetitive that I don't think the end landed as much as it was probably intended to. I also still don't like the animation style - it feels really bad at portraying the kinds of moments that would look really good with a physical actor.

And did anyone else think that it was the Ancient One who was causing all of Christine's other deaths? Some, like the guy shooting her at the pizzeria and the hotel blowing up, are a bit too ridiculous to be only just fate.

Seems probable that the Ancient One or her agents were involved in making sure time unfolded as it was supposed to, yeah.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

When the TVA are no more, she's gotta be like... Fine... I'll do it myself

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that either the TVA doesn't exist in this universe or it wasn't gonna produce an evil Kang variant and was left alone.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
If the Ancient One has to intervene to cause Christine to die, then it's not a fixed point, just some occurrence that one faction wants to ensure happens, because of the result. That isn't what's going on. They showed a lot of different ways she could die to show that the scope of the universe course correcting itself is limitless. Which is why when the course correction is completely impeded, it collapses on itself. It makes no sense that the Ancient One is trying to kill Christine specifically.

Oct 25, 2017

The way I kinda see it, these fixed points are the nexus events in of themselves, basically, and the Eye/Time Stone can't undo the nexus event that resulted in the branched universe that it exists in.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I took it like the apocalypse thing in Loki. Once a timeline is doomed, intervention doesn't matter because there's no timeline left to splinter.

To be fair, the timelines aren't doomed in loki. That planet being destroyed doesn't mean shit to the universe. It's more that there's no way to have a variance because everything that might be changed is wiped out by the apocalypse, because everyone's dead. (tho that seems to indicate that only something sentient can cause a branch, rather than say, an electron appearing in a slightly different place in the electron shell of an atom)

But, how could Christine dying be an absolute point in time if it didn't happen in the original universe (the first Dr. Strange movie where Steven's hands get damaged instead)? Unless The Ancient One meant it was an absolute point in only their "what if" universe....and trying to mess with it destroys their universe.

A great episode with quite a depressing end. Dr. Strange indeed found out. :(

The absolute point in time is the impetus for him to become the sorcerer supreme. If christine lives, then he doesn't, then dormamu takes over the world, then the universe dies. The absolute point in the MCU is him losing his hand.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I interpret the terms 'timeline' and 'universe' to be synonymous, so I guess what the Ancient One did was clone Strange

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Great visuals, but rudimentary writing. Why were the minority characters so sidelined? Wong was giving butler vibes. While I liked seeing a new character within this space, O'Bengh doesnt do anything and your boy Strange was being kinda racist?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He would've been a distraction. It wasn't a story about Strange versus Mordo.

I guess they could've shown him in the very short training montage. They literally had Jaimie Alexander show up to provide one and a half lines in last week's episode.

But maybe Ejiofor was busy and they just decided not to bother?

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I guess they could've shown him in the very short training montage. They literally had Jaimie Alexander show up to provide one and a half lines in last week's episode.

But maybe Ejiofor was busy and they just decided not to bother?

Probably cause Jaime's doing other projects (loki, and almost certainly Love and Thunder) so she was around? I dunno. You are right, they could've, but I don't think it's necessary.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Probably cause Jaime's doing other projects (loki, and almost certainly Love and Thunder) so she was around? I dunno. You are right, they could've, but I don't think it's necessary.
I imagine they record their voices while in-between takes of their films. I have to imagine it's easier to grab actors while they're already filming for your studio. My only assumption is that he didn't want to or wasn't asked to (like Bautista).

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I imagine they record their voices while in-between takes of their films. I have to imagine it's easier to grab actors while they're already filming for your studio. My only assumption is that he didn't want to or wasn't asked to (like Bautista).

Probably. Tho I guess they could've animated him. But then, they didn't include Dormammu's henchmen either, soo...like I said, it's not really their story.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Bizarrely, they DID ask Bautista, Dave's agent just...didn't tell him about it until it was too late.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Avoiding spoilers somehow but as a fan of the past few years of MCU who has not really loved the first three episodes of What If?, I'd like to get a sense for how people in my camp feel about this one.

Anyone else not like the first 3 that enjoyed episode 4?

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great episode, I really enjoyed the presence of Uatu throughout the episode.

Also is Shuma Gorath possibly losing tentacles left and right? :v

Let's Go

But also part Live-Action for when she is on our world, maybe with a found-footage style for the real world.

I want it to be very meta, like Akibaranger but mixed with Undone

Edit:

Also...

When the Doctor is Strange 😳

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite episode so far.
strange's drive is simple and great tragic story
I like the ending that it's not happy.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay that's the second time.

Let's face it, it's Shuma. Motherfucker's hanging out in the temporal waiting room waiting for people to open doors to other realities like he does

Kang and Shuma, multiverse buddies forever

Yeah, I wondered if that was Shuma Gorath too! lol

It's gotta be. That'd be too much of a coincidence. And there's only one Shuma

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly good - I remember virtually nothing about Dr. Strange, and honestly didn't even remember him and Christine being romantically involved, so this kinda felt like a standalone story to me. (Evidently they broke up before the movie starts, so I guess that's the division point here - they stay together longer?) Really cool premise, decent execution, nice downer ending. Dialogue was bad, which continues to be an issue, but Cumberbatch is a good VA so he saves it. I thought the Strange v. Strange fight was kind of boring, actually - not as visually interesting as it could have been, mostly just beam fights and stuff - but otherwise can't complain.

The timeline vs. universe thing continues to get confused, and the "absolute point" thing is completely pulled out of nowhere, so I think it's safe to say that there's gonna be absolutely no consistency going forward about how time/the multiverse works.

Wouldn't be surprised if Evil Strange pops up again at some point, being trapped alone in a dead universe. And there's DEFINITELY gonna be a Shuma-Gorath appearance at some point. That's twice now they've show weird tentacles coming from an eldritch portal, and twice they conspicuously avoided showing who they're coming from. In the Captain Carter episode I was assuming it was just visual shorthand, but now? Something's up.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
Avoiding spoilers somehow but as a fan of the past few years of MCU who has not really loved the first three episodes of What If?, I'd like to get a sense for how people in my camp feel about this one.

Anyone else not like the first 3 that enjoyed episode 4?

I thought the first 3 episodes were bad, but I liked this one.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I liked it a lot!

I like how the last two episodes applied some comicbook-esque paths for some characters. In last weeks episode we had Hank Pym getting all vengeful while donning the Yellow Jacket costume.

This time around we have Strange thinking "hmmm this Button looks scary but lets push it anyway and lets see what happens." Its tragic with Strange desperately trying to get Christine back, but this episode shows some or Strange's bad habits he displays in the comics; arrogantly messing with stuff he does not understand.

the amount of times Stephen had shit backfire on him is huge.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be easier to Strange to just gather the Infinity Stones from his universe?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Apparently Shuma-Gorath is rumored to be in Multiverse of Madness, so I'm not sure if they'd blow their Shuma load here.

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
That episode was very dark and it hit me hard in a lot of points.

Loved the library scenes in particular.

I think it's my second favorite after the T'Challa one. I'm also a sucker for a good groundhog's day/happy death day story.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is another entry in the Rachel McAdams time travel chronicles

That makes it 4... maybe 5