• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Well.... that was dark.

Should also stop people from saying Strange would never do something out of arrogance.

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Wasn't a big fan of episode 3 and 4
4 is kinda disappointing cause all strange had to do was be shown the world falling apart
Didn't care much for 3 also

2 was fantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah I'm curious to see how they flesh out the Watcher in the MCU. It's always a "shit just got real" moment when the Avengers are hanging out and then see him appear silently in the background. They're like "oh shit, this can't be good...".

I personally like the exploration of them in the comics, their origin, their private lives, etc. It can get goofy, but hey that's comics!

Screenshot-2021-04-29-FF-2012-13.png
its just his day job. he takes years 9 million to 5 billion and goes home

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Marvel and Scott Derrickson seem to be on decent terms still:

image.png
I feel like when someone leaves Marvel due to "creative differences", they actually mean it & it's not taken personally. Edgar Wright's situation was different, but Feige was able to patch things up with him. And even Natalie Portman is back. Maybe there can be an actual MCU horror movie or show that Derrickson can direct in the future.

AceStrimmer

Feb 12, 2021
I still suspect for no good reason the last story of this run will involve a crystal. The M'Kraan crystal. Which happens to look a lot like the one at the end of this episode....

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
But, how could Christine dying be an absolute point in time if it didn't happen in the original universe (the first Dr. Strange movie where Steven's hands get damaged instead)? Unless The Ancient One meant it was an absolute point in only their "what if" universe....and trying to mess with it destroys their universe.

A great episode with quite a depressing end. Dr. Strange indeed found out. :(
Well, it may also look like an absolute point in time, and the only possible "good" outcome would've been if Strange decided to go to the path he went in the movie, he just never found it here after trying several times (either because it resulted in him never needing to search for the mystics arts, or because it leads to Evil Strange).

For a moment I thought that Good Strange would not beat Evil Strange, but his conscience would've convinced Evil Strange that he couldn't change what happened to Christine.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Screenshot-2021-07-04-at-22-11-42-All-New-X-Men-2012-25.png

What makes the MCU watcher different from comics is how he's seemingly observing a whole bunch of realities instead of just one. Which seems a bit much to be honest.
Nah the 616 Watcher watches a whole bunch of different realities as well. That was the premise the What If... comic title.

This is sorta just things that Watchers do when they're not watching specific events unfolding.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Not a whole lot happened in ep4, i place it alongside ep1 as the least interesting of the lot so far. I get that we have timey wimey stuff but too much of the episode was montage to fill space. "Absorb creature after creature," "kill Christine after Christine." We get it. The actual plot was too thin to be interesting.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I still suspect for no good reason the last story of this run will involve a crystal. The M'Kraan crystal. Which happens to look a lot like the one at the end of this episode....

I initially thought this season would end in a team-up, but I'm getting the sense that it's a season 2 thing.
But the characters we're seeing so far could be recruits for that.

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic episode, I wasn't feeling any of the previous three but this was much better. Made me go and hug my girlfriend extra hard 😅

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Now I hope that Marvel Studios tackles a hand-drawn animated project in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting concept and fun visuals, but a lot of filler in this episode.

The most interesting part was the Watcher actually interacting (albeit very mildly) with the characters in the story. I was also convinced that Good Strange was going to pull the same trick Neo pulled in Matrix Revolutions, so it was actually something of a surprise to me when Good Strange just straight-up lost the fight.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting concept and fun visuals, but a lot of filler in this episode.

The most interesting part was the Watcher actually interacting (albeit very mildly) with the characters in the story. I was also convinced that Good Strange was going to pull the same trick Neo pulled in Matrix Revolutions, so it was actually something of a surprise to me when Good Strange just straight-up lost the fight.
Due to promotional materials, I expected bad Strange to come out on top. A rare misstep by Marvel's marketing department.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not a whole lot happened in ep4, i place it alongside ep1 as the least interesting of the lot so far. I get that we have timey wimey stuff but too much of the episode was montage to fill space. "Absorb creature after creature," "kill Christine after Christine." We get it. The actual plot was too thin to be interesting.
It had the thinnest plot but the best visuals, IMO.
Also I'm curious if we'll see the library of Cagliostro again in the MCU. The seemed like a very specifically designed location in a series that has mostly rehashed old locations.

What If...? |Spoiler OT| ...Doctor Strange fucked around and found out?
Oooh, I'm torn. This is so good but I also love singing "What if Groot was one of us," every time I come to the thread.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
God DAMN that was good. Best episode by far.

This really did the Time Loop thing much better than the Doctor Strange movie did. I always thought it would have been better if the movie really labored on just how long Strange was in that loop with Dormammu. It would have been a great way to show how Strange could go from Novice to Sorceror Supreme the way he did. This episode wasn't afraid to linger on the time loop like that. To really show how lost a person could become, and how powerful they could become, if they had nothing but time. Really, really loved it.

The ending was powerful as shit. Especially him pleading with The Watcher for some kind of salvation, and being left with absolutely nothing. Thank god they did an episode this powerful with Cumberbatch, who is actually good at voice acting. I'm not sure that, say, Sebastian Stan would've been able to carry it in the same way, judging by his VA work so far.

I also really thought they were going to tie this into our Universe in the end, and a little disappointed they didn't. Like, it would be cool if Strange ended up finding a way to save Christine without damning the universe, and that solution was to make our version of the MCU happen. He'd damn himself to the pain and suffering of losing his hands, but it would save her. In the end, though, this was probably more powerful. They showed that he was willing to do anything, even sacrifice himself, but it just couldn't work that way in this universe. I don't like the trope of "woman must die to motivate the man to greatness", but it's far less offensive in this episode, because we know it's not always the case. It was just the case in this timeline.

I'm honestly expecting, at this point, for our Doctor Strange, in Multiverse of Madness, to stumble across this frozen, stasis bubble universe that Strange Supreme is locked alone in.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I watch these with my brother and mother, who both love the MCU.
We lost someone very close to us two days ago.
Let's just say it was a very emotional experience.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the summoning sequence must be filled with lots of references to the comics that went completely over my head.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
What if this Strange is the origin for Mephisto?!?!

Half joking, but his pointed cloak does look similar to the one Mephisto wears....and he has enough control of time travel that he could put himself at the start of the Marvel multiverse.....

What if Doctor Strange turned himself into Cthulu and destroyed the entire universe?

ryan.gif

Superbagman

Nov 3, 2017
What if this Strange is the origin for Mephisto?!?!

Half joking, but his pointed cloak does look similar to the one Mephisto wears....and he has enough control of time travel that he could put himself at the start of the Marvel multiverse.....
For like half a frame this evil Strange *totally* looked like mephisto. Red face and all.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
But, how could Christine dying be an absolute point in time if it didn't happen in the original universe (the first Dr. Strange movie where Steven's hands get damaged instead)? Unless The Ancient One meant it was an absolute point in only their "what if" universe....and trying to mess with it destroys their universe.

A great episode with quite a depressing end. Dr. Strange indeed found out. :(

How I interrupt it is that the nexus point was Christine going to the event with Strange. That in itself becomes the divergence and the creation of a new timeline which is in itself a fixed point in time.

So how I view it is Nexus event = fixed point in time for that timeline

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Maybe because he simply ate Mephisto.

If he was going to eat Mephisto they would darn well show it. Though I do love the constant meme about EVERY new Marvel project being Mephisto related and none of it ever being Mephisto related.

For like half a frame this evil Strange *totally* looked like mephisto. Red face and all.

I would not be angry at all if they made a retcon to the whole Marvel megaverse that this strange from an MCU divergence became the origin for Mephisto.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
This was basically a Twilight Zone episode.

Dude had all the books he could ever read, all the time in the world, total solitude, and then his glasses broke.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
For someone who's only supposed to observe, Uatu does a hell of a lot of interfering. So it's only inevitable that he chooses to do so sooner or later.
Maybe there can be an actual MCU horror movie or show that Derrickson can direct in the future.

Well, we do have a Halloween special coming next year. Hmm..

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
If he was going to eat Mephisto they would darn well show it. Though I do love the constant meme about EVERY new Marvel project being Mephisto related and none of it ever being Mephisto related.

I would not be angry at all if they made a retcon to the whole Marvel megaverse that this strange from an MCU divergence became the origin for Mephisto.
except this is animated and probably was finished months ago

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who's only supposed to observe, Uatu does a hell of a lot of interfering. So it's only inevitable that he chooses to do so sooner or later.

Well, we do have a Halloween special coming next year. Hmm..
Wait, what? I only know about the Guardians Christmas special next year.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, what? I only know about the Guardians Christmas special next year.

Rumours started this summer of a Werewolf by Night series, last week we had another rumour of them doing a Halloween special and that they were looking for a Latino actor. Various people reporting on it so seems likely.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Rumours started this summer of a Werewolf by Night series, last week we had another rumour of them doing a Halloween special and that they were looking for a Latino actor. Various people reporting on it so seems likely.
Oh wow, this is my first time hearing of this. I know next to nothing about Werewolf by Night, but I think it's pretty dope that Marvel is really utilizing the TV format with these specials.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
This episode proves that Kirby is the strongest character in fiction.

Really interesting episode, Twilight Zoney with some wild visuals. If this is in the Disney + series I can't imagine the craziness we will witness in Doctor Strange 2.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I am loving this and nice little return of Tentacles.

It would be fascinating if this strange becomes the origins of Mephisto

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit. Strange chose the BAD END route.

Best episode so far. I've been waiting for a divergence to have universe-spanning consequences and this delivered.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty awesome, and a great use of the What-If format, to show that when smart wizards warn Strange "don't fuck with this, you could destroy the universe", they really aren't talking out their asses. It can and does happen. Valuable lesson.