• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So this was the Agatha Christe episode? That was shit as a murder mystery thing. But pretty fun all in all.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I really liked this one, Ant-Man is fucking OP when he's out of blood.
Captain Marvel probably single-handlely booted Loki out from earth and Captain America is the only Avenger left.
I wish we could get a follow-up to this universe

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I was enjoying the episode as it went along but after the resolution at the end I came away feeling underwhelmed by it. I wonder what piece of it will be meaningful for the last team-up episode? Will it just be Captain Marvel's return to Earth in that particular timeline that is important to the last episode? I hope the rest of the episodes are more like episode 2 and less like this one.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this one a lot, it wasn't just "huge change and the world thereafter," it really dug into the huge change for the whole time, replaying various Avengers setups but with very different results. The previous episode was plenty fun, but it was basically a completely original story, I like having a mix of episode styles. Some like that, some like this, where you can really feel the connection to the original events throughout.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I thought this was a weak episode. Did anyone else think Fury was acting very out of character for most of this? We're lead to believe he's hedged his bets on the Avenger's initiative pre and during Avengers 1. It's established he's willing to do practically anything to see the initiative through. This episode made it seem like they didn't matter to him. They start dropping like flies and he's still so nonchalant. That's not the same Fury that we know. Soon as Stark died he would have went full red alert. I just didn't buy any of it. First two episodes didn't really have this issue for me, at all.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Just a fun thread to guess before Peter shows up.
www.resetera.com

Place your bets, who's gonna voice Peter Parker/Spider-Man in Marvel Studios' What If...? (since they couldn't get Tom Holland)? Entertainment - Comics

Since What If...? episodes are under 42 minutes, they aren't counted as feature-length. As such, Marvel Studios is able to use Peter Parker without having to worry about asking for Sony's permission first. He's set to appear in the Marvel Zombies episode as Zombie Hunter Spider-Man. But since...

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Oh! The other thing I loved in this episode: The establishing shots just kept having a giant Watcher looming in the background. I love that. Keep doing that for sure. Have him just popping up everywhere in that creepy ethereal way.

These were my favorite moments in the episode. Otherwise I was pretty middling on this one.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Now that was a solid what if story, a classic what if escalation. Loved that it was a play on the classic Yellowjacket storyline.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
This episode was great. Loved it more than last week episode.
Didn't expect them to kill them all in one episode. Especially Bruce made me go "WTF". Almost nigthmare fuel and would have been even scarier as live-action.

I did also quess the murder at the Nat and Ross scene and it was also intresting to see Mark instead of Edward later in the scene.
Also cool to see a Loki aveng his brother's death.

What if.. Ant-Man was Yellowjacket.(The (inside)Ass-assin

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now's as good a time as any to mention that What If? stories occasionally got follow-ups. And I'm not just talking about Spider-Girl spinning off into its own universe with multiple titles. So the idea that they could do follow-ups to any of these episodes isn't totally out of the question.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So cool! This is more like the What Ifs in comics, and I liked it a lot 😁😁😁

Edit: Plus, More Betty Ross Pls!!!

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
This episode really showed how OP and dangerous Pym tech really is.
Especially if it is utilized by someone that know what he/she is doing.

Also it's SOO GOOD to hear Coulson again.
I miss him so much!!!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Not my favourite episode, but still fun. I pegged this as a Pym related issue pretty early though, either that or Ghost. Loki was a blast as per usual. And more Coulson is always a good thing.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
So does this mean that theoretically this could really happen...?

E9Wvn4nWQAAzyBG

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Great episode, loved seeing exactly what Ant-Man can really do, Lake Bell was so good as Black Widow and the humour in general was great.
everyone fawning over how beautiful Thor is was great. If this wasn't so PG13 I was half expecting Coulson to urm.. see how endowed Thor is lol

Did the events of Iron Man 2 and Thor really happen within a day of each other?

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Is Ant-Man actually OP though once you know what to expect? I mean, Loki dealt with Hank pretty handily. But, Ant-Man is definitely super scary when you don't see him coming and he's out for blood.

I wonder if they'll go darker in Ant-Man 3 too...

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Kinda wish these episodes weren't tethered so much to the existing movies. You've got a canvas to do anything you want and you're gonna reference Thor and The Incredible Hulk?

There's so much potential for imagination here that homages to the films just seems so safe.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Eh...this just isn't doing anything for me. It's supposed to be a blue sky "Wow, we can do anything!" project, but in practice it feels like an exercise in brand management/worship. Every reference/joke about the MCU canon feels so boring and Flanderized.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What If the world lost its Mightiest Heroes?

Okay, we finally have a What If story where things are irrefutably worse off than in the main timeline. This is more in line with what I thought the show would be like going in. Good stuff, lotta fun.
That's sort of how a lot of the What If comics go. Some of them things are worse, other times things are undeniable better.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did a quick search, and the events of the first Thor movie & Iron Man 2 take place approximately the same time frame.

The Incredible Hulk is the outlier, as that film takes place in the year 2008.
Nah, Incredible Hulk also takes place during that week. It lines up pretty neatly:

- Coulson leaves in the middle of Iron Man 2 saying "he's needed in New Mexico." Shows up in New Mexico the next day, at the start of Thor.
- The ending scene of Iron Man 2 (where Fury and Stark are talking after the Stark Expo fight) shows clips from the Culver University fight on TVs in the background, implying that scene from Incredible Hulk occurred recently.
- The post-credit scene of Incredible Hulk has Tony Stark show up as a "consultant" for SHIELD, which is a role he gets at the end of Iron Man 2, which places the end of the Incredible Hulk after the end of Iron Man 2.

Iron Man and Incredible Hulk both "originally" took place in 2008, when they released, but those dates got moved up to 2010 to better align with Thor, Iron Man 2, and ultimately the Avengers.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Nah, Incredible Hulk also takes place during that week. It lines up pretty neatly:

- Coulson leaves in the middle of Iron Man 2 saying "he's needed in New Mexico." Shows up in New Mexico the next day, at the start of Thor.
- The ending scene of Iron Man 2 (where Fury and Stark are talking after the Stark Expo fight) shows clips from the Culver University fight on TVs in the background, implying that scene from Incredible Hulk occurred recently.
- The post-credit scene of Incredible Hulk has Tony Stark show up as a "consultant" for SHIELD, which is a role he gets at the end of Iron Man 2, which places the end of the Incredible Hulk after the end of Iron Man 2.

Iron Man and Incredible Hulk both "originally" took place in 2008, when they released, but those dates got moved up to 2010 to better align with Thor, Iron Man 2, and ultimately the Avengers.

I didn't realize they actually bumped up the year that movie and Iron Man takes place in, as far as timeline is concerned. Thank you for correcting me.

That's sort of how a lot of the What If comics go. Some of them things are worse, other times things are undeniable better.

And, on occasion, can also get pretty damn weird.

latest

Last edited:

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Really need a part 2 for this. Be cool to see how Carol and Steve handle everything going forward.

Vision, Antman, War Machine, possibly Black Panther whose father would never die, wouldn't exist. Spiderman and Strange would stay hidden without Stark, Thor, and Banner.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch would probably be recruited.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
I love the fact we got to see a version of Hank Pym as Yellow Jacket, good stuff.

Liked the episode. Btw, Clark Gregg is a treasure.

"Oh wow this guy is rotting but he smells like lavender" - continues to smell some more
Also the Steve password got a huge laugh out of me.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Latest one was surprisingly good. Not as good as the first 2, but fun in a "THIS is why this power is broken AF!" way.
You'd never see them do that with that power in the movies.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I like how "Fury" is relatively calm discussing the deaths of the other avengers but is angry when talking about Thor

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Really need a part 2 for this. Be cool to see how Carol and Steve handle everything going forward.

Vision, Antman, War Machine, possibly Black Panther whose father would never die, wouldn't exist. Spiderman and Strange would stay hidden without Stark, Thor, and Banner.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch would probably be recruited.
  • Yeah, Vision wouldn't exist & Scott Lang wouldn't get the suit.
  • I think Rhodey had already taken the Mk. II armor by that point in Iron Man 2, so maybe he'd still be War Machine.
  • T'Challa became Black Panther in 2008 when T'Chaka was too old to do it himself, so he'd be available.
  • Peter didn't get his powers yet, so they can't get to him at the time. Likewise, Strange's car accident didn't happen yet.
    • That said, The Ancient One would be available & was active during the Battle of New York in the Sacred Timeline.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
  • I think Rhodey had already taken the Mk. II armor by that point in Iron Man 2, so maybe he'd still be War Machine.
  • T'Challa became Black Panther in 2008 when T'Chaka was too old to do it himself, so he'd be available.
  • Peter didn't get his powers yet, so they can't get to him at the time. Likewise, Strange's car accident didn't happen yet.
    • That said, The Ancient One would be available & was active during the Battle of New York in the Sacred Timeline.

Would Rhodey still go by War Machine? Think he'd take up the Iron Man mantle in this 'verse.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kind of funny which actors they get to reprise their roles and which they don't. Like somehow they got Michael Douglas for that short scene but not Scarlett Johansson

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Didn't even think of this until I read your post.

Rhodey probably dies at the Stark Expo Hammer Keynote presentation. As does Peter Parker.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of funny which actors they get to reprise their roles and which they don't. Like somehow they got Michael Douglas for that short scene but not Scarlett Johansson

After the lawsuit from Black Widow it didn't surprise me we didn't get Scarlet to voice Widow in this. I wonder if the timeframe would've lined up to stop them getting her or she might've just been busy.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very mixed on this one. I like the idea about someone taking out the Avengers right at the start, but I wish it hadn't been the whole episode. That ending was just asking for a Part 2, and it's a shame we probably won't get it. It was less "what if someone took out the Avengers" and more a mystery story about who did it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question:

Red Skull summoned Shuma Gorath in that Captain Carter episode, right? And since there's only one Shuma Gorath across the multiverse...

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I saw a What If... LEGO at the store with Tony on Sakaar, that's neat. I'm sure that's "What if Tony didn't make it back through the portal at the end of Avengers?"

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely my favorite of the three. Humor was more subdued (makes sense given this episode being darker) which was my issue with the first two.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So all this talk of Ant-Man expanding in Thanos' butt was actually on the right track. Thanos is legitimately fortunate Scott Lang didn't go to Titan, huh? 😂

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Is Ant-Man actually OP though once you know what to expect? I mean, Loki dealt with Hank pretty handily. But, Ant-Man is definitely super scary when you don't see him coming and he's out for blood.

I wonder if they'll go darker in Ant-Man 3 too...
Well the thing there is Loki was also something Ant=man didn't expect as he had magic and was disguised as Sam Jackson. I appreciated how in this episode unlike some other "X kills the marvel universe" stories Hank wasnt able to keep all the variables in check and was just as blindsided by Asgardians as everyone else.

Oct 26, 2017
What If....The Avengers Didn't Have Plot Armor?

Enjoyable episode. Not as great as last week's, but I liked the whodunit angle trying to figure out who was killing the Avengers. Facial animation is still inconsistently stiff in some scenes tho :/

I was like..."How the fuck did THOR die??" then I remembered he lost his powers.

Also, this episode proves how fucking OP Pym Particles are.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well the thing there is Loki was also something Ant=man didn't expect as he had magic and was disguised as Sam Jackson. I appreciated how in this episode unlike some other "X kills the marvel universe" stories Hank wasnt able to keep all the variables in check and was just as blindsided by Asgardians as everyone else.
The irony is that in Deadpool Kills the Marvel universe he uses pym particle bombs to kill Luke Cage

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Really fun episode. I guess by the time Loki gets to Earth Odin has already fall into the Odinsleep cause He would definitely not approve an invasion.