• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Episode 2 was phenomenal. Hopefully the rest of the season is them jutting out and doing their own thing instead of remaking past movies. I think doing the latter is why the first episode was so frantically paced.

Hounsou sounded like he was having the time of his life. He was one of the episode's highlights.

I was surprised he was so fantastic in it. They really under-utilised him in the movies.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the first episode quite a bit, but this second episode is A+.

Just a lot of things to like about it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that was absolutely brilliant. Very moving too.

I could see an entire series based on this episode alone.

Every line Thanos had was gold. Felt like a lot of meta commentary about people nitpicking his motivations with the Infinity Gauntlet.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the second episode and it was incredible. I love how they show that a different person in Quill's shoes would inevitably lead to a dramatic change. I'm not so sure how I feel about The Collector, though. How did he kill Hela? Even ignoring that her powers are her own, not imbued into her helmet, she was imprisoned in Hel until 2017 (when Odin passed away) and this episode was set in 2008. Aside from that it was all pretty fantastic stuff. I loved seeing a far less cybernetic Nebula. T'Challa must have gotten through to Thanos rather quickly.

I guess we'll find out soon if all of these stories are set in the same universe, since we know there's one where Gamora is the Big Bad. It remains to be seen, I guess, if she went bad because Thanos gave up on his great destiny or if her Thanos is a different one and something else happens.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So good, this was basically a Batman always wins with prep time style episode done right but focused on the fact unlike Bruce, T'Challa has charisma

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just saw the second episode and it was incredible. I love how they show that a different person in Quill's shoes would inevitably lead to a dramatic change. I'm not so sure how I feel about The Collector, though. How did he kill Hela? Even ignoring that her powers are her own, not imbued into her helmet, she was imprisoned in Hel until 2017 (when Odin passed away) and this episode was set in 2008. Aside from that it was all pretty fantastic stuff. I loved seeing a far less cybernetic Nebula. T'Challa must have gotten through to Thanos rather quickly.

I guess we'll find out soon if all of these stories are set in the same universe, since we know there's one where Gamora is the Big Bad. It remains to be seen, I guess, if she went bad because Thanos gave up on his great destiny or if her Thanos is a different one and something else happens.
This episode was 2008? I missed that. I assumed it was 2014, since that's when the original Guardians movie was.

Anywho, I figure Odin must've died earlier (maybe Laufey's invasion was successful), which would've released Hela from her prison ahead of schedule.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah okay, this show is not for me. This is now the second time I turned the episode off at the halfway point. I was hoping "what if" would be more like Sliders, or if you want a superhero alternative, more like Superman Red Son or even Marvel Zombies. Just an alternate universe where the world was actually different.

I'm really not in that interested in these what if superhero x was instead superhero y stories that just feel like the same Marvel things we've been getting for the past decade, except now Black Panther is Star-Lord doing Black Panther things in space, it's all very bland and meh to me, honestly.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I thought for sure when Thanos said that T'Challa convinced him of other methods to meet his end goal he was gonna reference one of the "Why doesn't he just produce more food?" fan theories that was spouted ad nauseum when Infinity War was in theaters.

in_my_J1s

Dec 4, 2020
I thought for sure when Thanos said that T'Challa convinced him of other methods to meet his end goal he was gonna reference one of the "Why doesn't he just produce more food?" fan theories that was spouted ad nauseum when Infinity War was in theaters.

Maybe that's what was said since they were going after the Ember?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah okay, this show is not for me. This is now the second time I turned the episode off at the halfway point. I was hoping "what if" would be more like Sliders, or if you want a superhero alternative, more like Superman Red Son or even Marvel Zombies. Just an alternate universe where the world was actually different.

I'm really not in that interested in these what if superhero x was instead superhero y stories that just feel like the same Marvel things we've been getting for the past decade, except now Black Panther is Star-Lord doing Black Panther things in space, it's all very bland and meh to me, honestly.
Marvel Zombies is gonna be a later episode.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This episode was 2008? I missed that. I assumed it was 2014, since that's when the original Guardians movie was.

Anywho, I figure Odin must've died earlier (maybe Laufey's invasion was successful), which would've released Hela from her prison ahead of schedule.

The flashback, the year T'Challa was taken, took place in 1988. Then it said "Twenty Years Later", so yeah... it was set in 2008.

Which also makes me just handwave everything in The Collector's collection as just a cute nod to other Marvel things. The Dark Elves didn't wake up until 2013 and Tival also had Cap's shield even though Steve wasn't dug out of the ice until 2011. Even if it's Peggy's shield, she didn't return from whatever alternative dimension she was stuck in until 2012. So it's all probably just there as an Easter egg rather than anything to seriously consider.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The flashback, the year T'Challa was taken, took place in 1988. Then it said "Twenty Years Later", so yeah... it was set in 2008.

Which also makes me just handwave everything in The Collector's collection as just a cute nod to other Marvel things. The Dark Elves didn't wake up until 2013 and Tival also had Cap's shield even though Steve wasn't dug out of the ice until 2011. Even if it's Peggy's shield, she didn't return from whatever alternative dimension she was stuck in until 2012. So it's all probably just there as an Easter egg rather than anything to seriously consider.
Ahh, yeah, I didn't think about that. Makes sense.

And yep, you're probably right. Do we know for sure that all of these branch stories are taking place in the same alternate timeline?

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Fun episode. I love that they just nonchalantly drop good guy Thanos on us.

I wish they recasted Howard though. Seth Green was good for a stinger, but whatever he's doing for his voice is terrible. If they ever do more with the character, just hire Paul Giamatti or Jason Alexander.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh, yeah, I didn't think about that. Makes sense.

And yep, you're probably right. Do we know for sure that all of these branch stories are taking place in the same alternate timeline?

At first I assumed they were all set in different universes in the multiverse, but then Uata said in the first episode that Peggy's choice to stay in the room gave birth to an entire new universe and seemed to imply that all the stories that followed were changes caused by it. I s'pose we'll find out whenever the episode that deals with Gamora comes out.

Since Gamora wasn't mentioned at all in this episode and it ended with a tease of "a story for another time", I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were multiple episodes set in outer space and one was about Peter Quill and Ego and another about Gamora finishing what her dad started.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Hearing Chadwick again was so good.

I didn't expect to crack up so much from Korath the Pursuer. That entire first interaction with T'Challa was hysterical!

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017

The divergent point was 1988, after that, some events will not follow the MCU events timeline

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I really enjoyed this episode overall but I was not a fan of how much they nerfed Thanos. If Proxima can one-shot Thanos and Cull Obsidian can have an even fight with him then why would the black order even fear and respect him like in the main universe? I always assumed Thanos would effortlessly mop the floor with the black order even when they all took him on at once. I must have missed something in this episode that explains why Thanos is so much weaker in this timeline. I will have to watch it again.

Anyways, Chadwick Boseman and T'challa are amazing as usual and I greatly enjoyed everything else about this episode.

YourFriend

Nov 15, 2017
Voice acting was significantly better in this episode. As well as animation. I thought episode 1 was okay but very safe, but the voice acting was bad and the animation on the eyes was off. Episode 2 nailed everything this show should be. Was that Batista? I know there was some controversy about him not being in this, but I find it hard to believe that voice wasn't him.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Voice acting was significantly better in this episode. As well as animation. I thought episode 1 was okay but very safe, but the voice acting was bad and the animation on the eyes was off. Episode 2 nailed everything this show should be. Was that Batista? I know there was some controversy about him not being in this, but I find it hard to believe that voice wasn't him.
Drax was voiced by Fred Tatasciore (Hulk's VA in most cartoons & games).

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed this episode overall but I was not a fan of how much they nerfed Thanos. If Proxima can one-shot Thanos and Cull Obsidian can have an even fight with him then why would the black order even fear and respect him like in the main universe? I always assumed Thanos would effortlessly mop the floor with the black order even when they all took him on at once. I must have missed something in this episode that explains why Thanos is so much weaker in this timeline. I will have to watch it again.

Anyways, Chadwick Boseman and T'challa are amazing as usual and I greatly enjoyed everything else about this episode.

My guess is that a lot of what fueled Thanos' strength came from his focused idealism and ambition. Without that to drive him, he probably isn't as ruthlessly strong. But it could also be that the Black Order is just that powerful by themselves and mainly followed him for both his power but most importantly his ideals. Once Thanos gave all of that up in this universe to become a ravager they would have lost all respect for him and would have tried their hardest to beat the shit out of him as we saw in this episode.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
What If T'Challa was Star-Lord?

Once again, just like last week, it turns out everything would have been better for all involved and probably the world.

Don't misunderstand me the episode was really fun and I'm enjoying the show, but it's so weird to me that Marvel is using What If...? to tell us "Actually it turns out the main universe you've been viewing for all these years is the bad timeline".

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

Once again, just like last week, it turns out everything would have been better for all involved and probably the world.

Don't misunderstand me the episode was really fun and I'm enjoying the show, but it's so weird to me that Marvel is using What If...? to tell us "Actually it turns out the main universe you've been viewing for all these years is the bad timeline".
To be fair the ending implies that Ego could win in this timeline

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
The runner up to Chris Pratt was going to be Glenn Howerton, aka Dennis Reynolds from Its Always Sunny, which I can't even begin to imagine.

"I AM A GOLDEN GOD!"

guardians-power-up.jpg

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

Much like real life, we prefer the fantasy world within the fantasy world.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
This was definitely a stronger episode and I think the show had an interesting premise, but I'm not sold yet.

The biggest issue for me is the art style. It's so obvious that they're using 3D models with 2D textures and it looks like a cel shaded video game or something (like XIII) rather than hand-drawn animation.

I dunno maybe it's intentional and that's what they're going for, but it just doesn't appeal to me visually. Especially when you see that Star Wars Visions trailer yesterday and it looks a million times better. I get 2D animation is hard and expensive but I wish they'd fully committed to it.