• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Wait a minute. Fox's X-Men are essentially feature length, live action What If episodes.

Such as "What If Wolverine's Origin was Terrible?"

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I was worried at first because the first fight scene as Captain Carter was edited horribly, everything was cut to show as little movement as possible, but then daaaamn they got better

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
That episode is beauiful but forgettable and not that fun to watch. The dialog and pacing was horrible. I hope this show evenually does it's own thing because trying to re-tell captain america 1 story into 30 minutes was a horrible choice.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The more I think about this, the more I think this is the weakest thing in the MCU, which whatever if it's just exposition to explain why there's Captain Carter running around modern NYC in a later episode.

Why did Hydra leave Steve alive? He's of no value to them as a prisoner/hostage.

Why did Red Skull open a portal to summon a tentacle monster? His plan was to use the tesseract to power weapons, and he got it back like three days after losing it. Why did he switch plans?

The tesseract ability seems inconsistent. Why did Peggy time travel when that's not a space stone power? Though I guess tentacle dimension could just have slow moving time.

(These nitpicks aren't why it's the weakest, it's the totally whack pacing)

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The animation is gorgeous and the story was fun, hopefully they can fix the pacing. They clearly just bit off more than they could chew.

It'll be telling if pacing impacts the episodes that aren't as tied to a film.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it honestly. The action being so good and kinetic was a big surprise.

I do kinda wish they truncated the story even more so we could see Peggy fight in New York and so on but oh well.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The animation is gorgeous and the story was fun, hopefully they can fix the pacing. They clearly just bit off more than they could chew.

It'll be telling if pacing impacts the episodes that aren't as tied to a film.
I kinda like the pacing since we get a lot more story out of it, basically the plot of a 2 hour movie in a 30 minute episode. by the end of episode, I feel like I just saw a full length movie and felt pretty satisfied, last thing I want is something like Castlevania where you watch an episode and it feel like the story barely move forward even after 3 episodes

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I kinda like the pacing since we get a lot more story out of it, basically the plot of a 2 hour movie in a 30 minute episode. by the end of episode, I feel like I just saw a full length movie and felt pretty satisfied, last thing I want is something like Castlevania where you watch an episode and it feel like the story barely move forward even after 3 episodes

I'm not saying it should be like Castlevania, but that there's a rich history of superhero shows telling full and well-paced stories in 22 minutes. Then there's Clone Wars and Justice League which frequently did multi-part episodes to let the story play out at its own pace. I liked Captain Carter, but it had little time to breath.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Maybe Marvel should have set expectations better if they're going to be sticking to the comic format. I imagine some who arent familiar with the What If? comics probably werent expecting the scope and pacing of the episodes and for it to be an anthology series rather than connected stories.

I was always expecting truncated stories that just give us the highlights to show us how specific plots/scenarios we've already seen can play out differently. I didn't mind the pacing at all because I can fill in the blanks for some of the slower/less crucial moments in The First Avenger. I'd love for the episodes to just be longer but for what they're doing here I was okay with the brisk pacing.

But I don't think every episode is gonna be like this where it simply follows the plotting of the majority of an existing MCU film.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That wacky swing music really didn't do that insane airplane sequence any justice. I feel like the soundtrack choices let the action down at times

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What if... someone opened a portal some day and tentacles didn't come through it?
Hy5DgSv.gif

I agree, btw, its a little overdone

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it. It was exactly what I was expecting: a fun little show just to spice things up. It's shallow and the dialogue was bad, but I figured that's be the case. It's a non-cannon animated anthology spin off, I'm not sure what other people were expecting. I don't blame anyone for not liking it, but ultimately this seems like it's so inconsequential it's going to be easily skippable.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Animation and overall aesthetic was pretty good, but the writing was really bland. Feels like it made the interesting premise and role reverals kinda boring.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed that. Red Skull is my favourite villain just because of how purely evil he is so seeing more skull was good. Also I thought that was
Shuma
as well, but if they bring them in I want to see it done properly since he's cool too.

Loved the watcher bits too. I hope they give the watcher a larger role to play too.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The first episode was ok. Action scenes were fun but the whole thing felt stiff in terms of story and emotion, and sort of...dull? Didn't love it but I see the potential and will keep watching.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
That episode is beauiful but forgettable and not that fun to watch. The dialog and pacing was horrible. I hope this show evenually does it's own thing because trying to re-tell captain america 1 story into 30 minutes was a horrible choice.
It reminds me of the two justice leagues and how the theatrical cut is super rushed lol

Aceun

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I was middling on the first episode, but the action scenes and the Peggy/Steve moments really worked for me. I think the next two episodes will give us a better sense of what this show is.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Marvel should have set expectations better if they're going to be sticking to the comic format. I imagine some who arent familiar with the What If? comics probably werent expecting the scope and pacing of the episodes and for it to be an anthology series rather than connected stories.

I was always expecting truncated stories that just give us the highlights to show us how specific plots/scenarios we've already seen can play out differently. I didn't mind the pacing at all because I can fill in the blanks for some of the slower/less crucial moments in The First Avenger. I'd love for the episodes to just be longer but for what they're doing here I was okay with the brisk pacing.

But I don't think every episode is gonna be like this where it simply follows the plotting of the majority of an existing MCU film.
I think this is unique case of a comic book show where it's better off not being actively discussed and instead just taking each episode as it is.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Really cool episode. I see a lot of potential for Carter x Iron Steve in their own timeline. I find the idea of Carter in the present day to be less interesting, but I still enjoy the character.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think this is unique case of a comic book show where it's better off not being actively discussed and instead just taking each episode as it is.

Nah I mean there's plenty to discuss here even if the plotting this episode is quite basic.

Although
I had missed that big ass spoiler from Hyundai when I made that post so it's kinda moot now lol. If we are revisiting these characters by the end of the series I'm actually even more okay with the way this episode kinda rushed through The First Avenger.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed this, just a cool little short. The animation was actually pretty impressive for an animated TV show, especially during the action scenes.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Love the animation

also I love the What if comics so this just another Twilight Zone like to me

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Animation was definitely better than I expected going it, the fluidity of some of the action sequences was just great.

Somebody needs to give Sebastian Stan some more guidance on voice acting though lol. Guy sounds like he's just reading audition sides!

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Probably the best animated thing Marvel has ever done. My only real concern is the art style. It's perfect for Captain Carter, you can really feel that old school propaganda/comics feel from it which is awesome. it has that Fleischer Superman vibe. I just don't know how much I'm going to like it for everything else.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Given the type of show this is, where it's seemingly not something to take as seriously as the live action shows, I thought it was pretty decent.

That said, uh, wouldn't mind a live action version of Captain Carter, just saying...

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the first one if only because Captain Carter is freaking awesome, she was cool as heck. When she got the sword *swoon*

Doubt any of the others will interest me quite so much. Though maybe T'challa as Starlord may finally make me at least a tiny tiny bit interested in Guardians of the Galaxy finally

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Given the type of show this is, where it's seemingly not something to take as seriously as the live action shows, I thought it was pretty decent.

That said, uh, wouldn't mind a live action version of Captain Carter, just saying...

Captain Carter's character model is very accurate. Noticeably so in the suit.

I absolutely loved this & I'm looking forward to the next round whether it's a continuation of the story so far or if they're all standalone tales.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
While Captain Carter and Iron Man Steve Rogers is a neat concept, I feel the sexism angle was superfluous and unnecessary for this 29 minute episode. I understand it's there to be an analogue to First Avenger where the US military inexplicably had a multi million dollar meta human be a propaganda piece for morale. But here it tokenizes a serious real life cultural imbalance just for plot, while never meaningfully engaging with the topic within the episode. Makes it feel like the Colonel is sexist only because it's expected there needs to be a #girlboss element to Peggy Carter becoming the most powerful human on Earth artificially, rather than it mattering thematically or character wise with respect to the story being presented.

couldve shaved all that stuff back and have more Carter and Rogers screen time; that's by far the best stuff in the episode.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hayley Atwell is only 39. If Marvel approached her about doing a Captain Carter show or appearance, I'm sure she'd jump at the chance. If they can make Tatiana Maslany into a big green lady, they can do the same for Hayley Atwell. Minus the green.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
If they only had used that amazing animation talent and budget on something more interesting. That felt like the TV equivalent of eating the blandest fast food meal ever.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't a big fan of the first episode as the writing and the acting were fairly weak. Hopefully it gets better in later episodes.

Oct 28, 2017
Thought the episode was well done. The animation and action was extremely impressive, I hope future episodes will be this good.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
While Captain Carter and Iron Man Steve Rogers is a neat concept, I feel the sexism angle was superfluous and unnecessary for this 29 minute episode. I understand it's there to be an analogue to First Avenger where the US military inexplicably had a multi million dollar meta human be a propaganda piece for morale. But here it tokenizes a serious real life cultural imbalance just for plot, while never meaningfully engaging with the topic within the episode. Makes it feel like the Colonel is sexist only because it's expected there needs to be a #girlboss element to Peggy Carter becoming the most powerful human on Earth artificially, rather than it mattering thematically or character wise with respect to the story being presented.

couldve shaved all that stuff back and have more Carter and Rogers screen time; that's by far the best stuff in the episode.

It would also help if they could write an interesting premise, where there's an actual tradeoff for their fates being switched, rather than literally everyone ending up a hundred times cooler and stronger.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
The more I think about this, the more I think this is the weakest thing in the MCU, which whatever if it's just exposition to explain why there's Captain Carter running around modern NYC in a later episode.

Why did Hydra leave Steve alive? He's of no value to them as a prisoner/hostage.

Why did Red Skull open a portal to summon a tentacle monster? His plan was to use the tesseract to power weapons, and he got it back like three days after losing it. Why did he switch plans?

The tesseract ability seems inconsistent. Why did Peggy time travel when that's not a space stone power? Though I guess tentacle dimension could just have slow moving time.

(These nitpicks aren't why it's the weakest, it's the totally whack pacing)

I believe like Bucky they planned to perhaps turn him into the Winter Soldier? They may be torturing him on the operation controls, making sure there's no booby traps for a different user.

The monster was etched into those ancient murals, he thought he could somehow tame it perhaps? He certainly had a god complex!

I believe in my theory: That the tesseract uses the quantum realm to tunnel through space (since time and space are linked), so Peggy and the monster were trapped in the quantum realm for 70 mins rather than 70 years. It's like being trapped on a subway train in-between stations.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is every episode part of one alternate universe? Or is each episode its own universe? If its all one universe does that mean everyone becomes zombies at one point? Lol