• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 18, 2018
So just managed to get a Ps5 and wanted to transfer my Demon Souls game save that I've used on my Sons ps5 but there is no option? Wtf is this?

Is the only way, to sub to ps+ for month? Ensuring I don't forget to cancel as its a recurring payment!

BTW, ps+ is currently linked to my Sons account so we can share games etc.

So, After spending £450 (Sons ps5) + £50 (ps+ sub) + £70 (Demon Souls) + £50 (forced SM:MM purchase via bundle) + £450 (my ps5), totaling @ £1070, greedy fucking Sony want ANOTHER £7 and all the fucking about getting one month ps+?

Scummy move. This Company is losing its soul. Fuck Jim Ryan if he's got anything to do with it...

If I'm wrong and there is another way, please excuse my rant and soz to Jim!

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
afaik, you can't transfer saves between profiles with or without PS+

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
Imagine the backlash if this were MS.

Sony gets away with too much stuff. Coil whine, faulty triggers you name it.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
afaik, you can't transfer saves between profiles with or without PS+
I think they used their own profile. Then it would still work.

But yes, unless you have PS+ you cannot transfer savegames on PS5. Some say this was done to not enable cheating using changing the save files. But I think it's just a greedy practice to make people get PS+.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean to excuse it because it is shitty, but this existed way before Jim Ryan joined, isn't it?

OP
OP
May 18, 2018
Thanks all for replies. BTW, Jim Ryan been there long time and I wouldn't put it past him!

Terrible money grab by Sony. I'll tell them what though, they've lost some goodwill from this customer, thats for sure...

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
So, After spending £450 (Sons ps5) + £50 (ps+ sub) + £70 (Demon Souls) + £50 (forced SM:MM purchase via bundle) + £450 (my ps5), totaling @ £1070, greedy fucking Sony want ANOTHER £7 and all the fucking about getting one month ps+?

Scummy move. This Company is losing its soul. Fuck Jim Ryan if he's got anything to do with it...

Sony forced you to buy Spider-Man?

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
havent tried it, but USB isnt an option?
You might be able to transfer your saves if you save it on a USB.

Edit: Yup.

www.pcmag.com

Don't Start Over: How to Transfer PS4 Games and Save Data to a PlayStation 5

If you have PS4 games you want to play on your Sony PS5, there's no reason to start from scratch. You have a few ways to transfer your save files to the new console.
I don't believe you can move PS5 saves via USB yet. Only for PS4 games.
www.vg247.com

You can't back up PS5 game saves to a USB device

Players can only back up their PS5 game saves via the paid-for PlayStation Plus service, with USB transfers no longer an option.
www.ign.com

PS5 Saves Can Only Be Moved Off Console Currently If You're a PlayStation Plus Subscriber - IGN

PS5 saves cannot currently be moved onto a USB drive, so you'll need a PS Plus subscription to save them to the cloud.
www.gamesradar.com

PS5 doesn’t allow save files backups to USB sticks

There's no option to transfer next-gen save files to a USB

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe you can move PS5 saves via USB yet. Only for PS4 games.
www.vg247.com

You can't back up PS5 game saves to a USB device

Players can only back up their PS5 game saves via the paid-for PlayStation Plus service, with USB transfers no longer an option.
www.ign.com

PS5 Saves Can Only Be Moved Off Console Currently If You're a PlayStation Plus Subscriber - IGN

PS5 saves cannot currently be moved onto a USB drive, so you'll need a PS Plus subscription to save them to the cloud.
www.gamesradar.com

PS5 doesn’t allow save files backups to USB sticks

There's no option to transfer next-gen save files to a USB
oh, nevermind then

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Don't worry about recurring payment just go straight into subscriptions in settings and disable auto renew. No need to cancel

galactic_punt

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't you just play around with primary accounts on the PS5s to guarantee both have PS+ with only one actually needing to be subscribed?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot that Jim Ryan makes every single decision about everything over at Sony, even who can use the restroom.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Always makes me laugh to see the disconnect of a grown adult talking about doing something with their childs console and then following up with some serious Fanboy nonsense talking points.

"It's Jim Ryans fault, he probably made this decision solely by himself because he is a doo doo head!"

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
It's a definite blind spot they need to fix, I would hope the first major firmware fixes this. I think Nintendo has the same issue, cloud only.

OP
OP
May 18, 2018
Sony forced you to buy Spider-Man?

Well said. Sony forced me to do nothing. Thanks for your input.

Yeah after you bought two PS5's lol

Well, we'll see about that. Little by little will mean only a small thing needs to occur to 'be the straw that broke the camels back'...

Wait, it looks like OP is already subscribed to Plus?

Please read the op again.

PS+ requirement for cloud saves was present on PS4. It's been a requirement for years now.

Please read the op again. This is not what I'm referring to. You could copy save files on a ps4 via a usb and put them onto another ps4. You cannot do this on a ps5.

Don't worry about recurring payment just go straight into subscriptions in settings and disable auto renew. No need to cancel

Thanks. Will do.

Yeah, shouldn't be a problem for OP. Still a shitty move by Sony to remove the possibility to transfer using USB.

It is a problem for op. Please read again.

Couldn't you just play around with primary accounts on the PS5s to guarantee both have PS+ with only one actually needing to be subscribed?

But the ps+ is linked to only one account so this wouldn't make any difference. Thanks though for the idea.

PS+ seems like a no brainer to me with the PS+ collection but it's still silly.

Already got all of those games I would want plus already go ps+ via Sons account.

I forgot that Jim Ryan makes every single decision about everything over at Sony, even who can use the restroom.

Well, he is the main boss iirc so the buck stops with him. Or is that not how it works?

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
More people need to complain about this. I have two PS5 consoles in my house with three gamers. I have one active PS+ membership for me. I am not going to buy PS+ for everyone else in the same house just so saves can be transfered via the Cloud. And yes, MS does not charge for Cloud saves. Sony needs to copy MS in this instance. I do not understand why people are so reticent to criticize Sony when the company makes bonehead decisions. Free cloud saves will benefit everyone.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Technically you could back up your entire PS5 and restore it on your other console... Technically, but it wipes your son's PS5...

Yeah, it's time for Sony to uncouple cloud storage from PS+.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's bad news, but on a good note, you have access to two PlayStation 5, so that's something.

Hopefully they'll patch it in at some point.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea you could not transfer PS5 game saves via USB. That's wack. Sony fix this please.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the PS5 has a lot of baffling design decisions on the user experience end...

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
More people need to complain about this. I have two PS5 consoles in my house with three gamers. I have one active PS+ membership for me. I am not going to buy PS+ for everyone else in the same house just so saves can be transfered via the Cloud. And yes, MS does not charge for Cloud saves. Sony needs to copy MS in this instance. I do not understand why people are so reticent to criticize Sony when the company makes bonehead decisions. Free cloud saves will benefit everyone.

Where is this notion come from that people are reluctant to criticize Sony come from? 50% of the traffic on this board is based on criticizing Sony. What some don't seem to grasp is that these issues aren't the life or death situations y'all make them out to be and don't matter much to most people. Things that are actually big issues do get people talking and you'll actually hear about them outside of this forum.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Their son's account has PS+. This is one of the worst things about the situation, if there are multiple users in a household, all of them need their own PS+ sub in order for each to have cloud saves.
Wow, I assumed all got benefits off the one subscription, like how it works for Online Play and Free Games

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Where is this notion come from that people are reluctant to criticize Sony come from?
Is this for real? The Sony defence force on this site is unreal. While it is completely out of place for this thread, that coil whine mentioned earlier has far too many people saying it does not affect them so it is not an issue. Go into the thread about Sony needing to address storage issues and then talk about all the posts saying no one needs to play so many games, so this is fine - just wait Sony will fix this. The DualSense thread where the immediate response was you broke it, not a Sony issue. How about the threads about the PS5 continually downloading PS4 games instead of the PS5 version. Again so many responses from people saying not my issue, just you. How about the black crush issue? So many threads blaming developers when it is a Sony issue introduced in the January firmware update.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I assumed all got benefits off the one subscription, like how it works for Online Play and Free Games
Save backup only works for owner of PS+ account, which makes sense since you can't transfer saves between accounts anyway. If you want to transfer from one PS5 to another and you have PS+, you can just make the other PS5 your primary. If you want to transfer your son's save to your account, you can't do that anyway, plus or not.