• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Are you're saying we're at the PS4pro vs OneX level of difference then? Disappointing but not tragic I guess. Shame if true that Sony machine will be at subnative resolutions into 2020s as that's always a hit to image quality.

No much smaller like 15% maybe a little more.
Most people won't be able to tell.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think clock speed will help bridge the gap for PS5, all it's doing, in my understanding, is allowing PS5 to get a bit closer to XSX at times, at the cost of GPU performance stability. It will still be a weaker GPU.

For example, if the PS5 GPU wasn't overclocked, it would likely run closer to the rumored 9.2tflops, instead of the max 10.2 they are advertising. That's still quite shy of a rock solid 12tfops on the XSX.

It's not about bridge the gap the PS5 GPU is better at certain things since some aspect of the GPU scale with clocks speed.
XSX will always be better at things with the CUs matter more since they have more than PS5 and speed can't make up for that .

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
It won't be just loading. Look at this picture -

twitter.com

Andrew Maximov on Twitter

“Just saw the new @PlayStation #PS5 presentation. Great job @cerny! Since I routinely have to explain to people why I'm excited for an SSD for rendering I thought I'd write a little thread to explain. Case in point: Uncharted 1 to Last of Us transition:”

PS5 will mean the graph becomes more linear. The ssd allows higher quality assets on screen at all times. This is going to be fascinating. The xsx will use lower lod but have higher resolution and RT.

I think you've misread that tweet. That tweet was talking about the trans formative change between last gen HDD paradigm and next gen SSD.
The XSX has a very fast SSD that will pretty much pull off anything anyone is able to do on the PS5 SSD, albeit slower.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
So, basically, to the layman, the XSX looks more powerful on paper, but in reality both systems are extremely powerful and both have their strengths and weaknesses; however, we don't really know at this point how games are going to run head to head until we actually see games and the performance may very well be quite similar. Also, there are areas where developers are really excited about the PS5, like the SSD speeds, that make it something completely, entirely new, but Sony is completely bungling their messaging and all the advantages of the PS5 aren't being communicatied well. Meanwhile, MS is doing a great job on messaging and marketing.

Just my personal take is that people look at the PS5 SSD and incorrectly assume all it's doing is improving load times when, in reality, it's acting much more like extremely fast virtual RAM, i.e. imagine an entire open world or large sections of an open world being loaded in seconds. That should free up a huge amount of resources that can be used for many more things. I could be completely wrong, which is the problem. Sony needs to do what MS is doing by demonstrating why this is so amazing in simple ways using actual game footage and examples that gamers can understand.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Mad people seem misinformed (and taking victory laps?). But I put that all on Sony. They are flubbing their message.

As soon as the public was let in on their tech presentation, Sony should have demonstrated how all this new tech works with actual in game examples on display. Beyond simple load times.

But f it. If MS continues to build on their positive momentum and perceived superiority, maybe that'll push Sony to lower the price. I'm getting the PS5 day one regardless and may be the only next gen console I get until I see more exclusives come out of Xbox. But I wouldn't mind a cheaper PS5 at launch ;)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mad people seem misinformed (and taking victory laps?). But I put that all on Sony. They are flubbing their message.

As soon as the public was let in on their tech presentation, Sony should have demonstrated how all this new tech works with actual in game examples on display. Beyond simple load times.

But f it. If MS continues to build on their positive momentum and perceived superiority, maybe that'll push Sony to lower the price. I'm getting the PS5 day one regardless and may be the only next gen console I get until I see more exclusives come out of Xbox. But I wouldn't mind a cheaper PS5 at launch ;)

Despite Lockhart being the price conscious option for MS, I still think they'll surprise people with how low Series X will cost.

They know it's a big deal and how major it would be to have it priced so close to PS5.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
8K?! No thanks. Often I think even native 4K isn't worth it. But 8K is just a waste of resources.

I agree completely.

TBQH I thought both MS and Sony announcing 8K support was a bit eye-rolling as we are on the wrong end of the transition from 1080p>4K>8K sets as far as availability and adoption- even when you factor in these being "7 year consoles" as usual.

What I really want is 1080p ultra fast rock solid framerates (120fps) with the standard NATIVE res of games being 4K with an emphasis on performance. I know we'll get the usual mix of games throwing their entire power budget at graphics and leaving performance and res last (with the occasional low budget game here or there being 4K/60fps with bad graphics), but hey I can dream.

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
So, basically, to the layman, the XSX looks more powerful on paper, but in reality both systems are extremely powerful and both have their strengths and weaknesses; however, we don't really know at this point how games are going to run head to head until we actually see games and the performance may very well be quite similar. Also, there are areas where developers are really excited about the PS5, like the SSD speeds, that make it something completely, entirely new, but Sony is completely bungling their messaging and all the advantages of the PS5 aren't being communicatied well. Meanwhile, MS is doing a great job on messaging and marketing.

Just my personal take is that people look at the PS5 SSD and incorrectly assume all it's doing is improving load times when, in reality, it's acting much more like extremely fast virtual RAM, i.e. imagine an entire open world or large sections of an open world being loaded in seconds. That should free up a huge amount of resources that can be used for many more things. I could be completely wrong, which is the problem. Sony needs to do what MS is doing by demonstrating why this is so amazing in simple ways using actual game footage and examples that gamers can understand.
I think the reason Sony is hesitant to 'show' too much about PS5, is that they don't want to undermine the big PS4 games that are still to come and expected to sell millions of copies up front. If they start putting out sizzle trailers and such for PS5, or show demos of PS4 games running better on 5, that would make some people think twice about buying TLOU2 or GoT right now, which is not a situation they want to be in considering how expensive those games must be to make.
MS has nothing to lose by moving the agenda to next-gen, but everything to gain. They've been trying to change the conversation to next-gen for several years in fact, cause they had so few big games on X1 and even fewer that sold well. Sony is in an awkward spot, where they have to say something but can't show much, which I think is definitely part of the reason their PS5 messaging is lacking compared to MS. As we move further into the year, Sony will get a lot more talkative, but all this negative narrative being propagated might do long term damage to the PS5 if they take too long.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least we can all agree that Sonya misread the room big time. Baffling really. Oh well, just a few more months now.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about which is the more powerful, I care about the games. I'll choose a console, if I do, based on that.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
People need to stop making up FUD. They are using the exact same solution.

Intersection engines are on the CUs. They run at the CU frequency.

So XSX has 44% more intersection engines.

BUT

They run 20% slower.

Any RT differential will be identical to TF differential because TF is a measure of CU performance.

So XSX has 16% better RT capability.

Again, these differences are not large. Closest two consoles ever released. But the team green console warriors are trying to shape the narrative into an Xbox One vs PS4 scenario, or a PS4Pro vs Xbox One X scenario.

They are doing this for validation. Not because it accurately reflects the situation.

Again, everyone repeat after me, 16% difference. Closest two consoles in the history of gaming. By some margin.

You can't calculate it like that

44% more intersection engines and 20% slower doesn't mean necessarily that the difference in performance is equal to 16%, and like you said it is identical to TF

It probably depends on the implementation and the game, for some games more engines will provide bigger difference than speed, for others it will be much closer

TFs are the same, some games don't scale up too much with higher frequencies but take more advantage of higher CUs count, other games scale up more with frequency. you can see that in any test for an overclocked gpu compared to its original clock speed

the difference in performance from one game to the other is never the same.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
- Sony dropped the ball with the PS5 reveal.
- Everyone is comparing number to to number, and finding XsX being more powerful.
. People he has talked to (not related to PS studio) have different opinion, and finding PS5 pretty cool.
- Both consoles are extremely powerful, same in many ways, but also different in other.
- If PS5 is priced right, Sony might be able to overcome it's blunder.
- TF numbers aren't the only factor to measure the performance, and people he has talked to said XsX is not significantly powerful.
- We would not find out which performs better unless the games are out for comparison.
- The advantage of faster SSD is more than just loading times. Although both have SSD, one is faster than the other.
bless you

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Right now, Sony is dropping the ball so hard in that they haven't talked about what games can actually do with this stuff, because their SSD advantages -- the stuff I'm hearing from developers is very different from what I'm seeing in Sony's marketing strategy, and that is mind-boggling to me. Because I don't want to be like, carrying Sony's water and be like "no, look at what this thing can actually do" but they're just failing so hard to convey that. It's frustrating to watch.
You're an unbiased journalist, why do you feel the need to have to do this? This is on Sony, all you need to do is provide the facts and what you've been told. You don't need to convince anyone of anything. Sony will do this when their games are finally show. It's their job to fix the problem with their information delivery, not yours or the developers. This is what I'm finding so frustrating, that people feel the need to explain why the PS5 is so revolutionary when Sony failed to deliver the message. People just need to wait until the full reveal and who gives a shit if people scream that the XBOX SX is way superior and the console wars are over.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're an unbiased journalist, why do you feel the need to have to do this? This is on Sony, all you need to do is provide the facts and what you've been told. You don't need to convince anyone of anything. Sony will do this when their games are finally show. It's their job to fix the problem with their information delivery, not yours or the developers. This is what I'm finding so frustrating, that people feel the need to explain why the PS5 is so revolutionary when Sony failed to deliver the message. People just need to wait until the full reveal and who gives a shit if people scream that the XBOX SX is way superior and the console wars are over.
Obviously he cares deeply

Oct 29, 2017
Journalists generally feel a responsibility to halt misinformation and misperceptions, right? I don't see any issues with Jason elaborating or clarifying things if he feels a press release didn't adequately explain what the system is. It's not PR, it's just information.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop making up FUD. They are using the exact same solution.

Intersection engines are on the CUs. They run at the CU frequency.

So XSX has 44% more intersection engines.

BUT

They run 20% slower.

Any RT differential will be identical to TF differential because TF is a measure of CU performance.

So XSX has 16% better RT capability.

Again, these differences are not large. Closest two consoles ever released. But the team green console warriors are trying to shape the narrative into an Xbox One vs PS4 scenario, or a PS4Pro vs Xbox One X scenario.

They are doing this for validation. Not because it accurately reflects the situation.

Again, everyone repeat after me, 16% difference. Closest two consoles in the history of gaming. By some margin.
This is a great post that will unfortunately be lost in the noise that is console warring.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Right now the SSD stuff tho almost feels like the same advantage that CELL CPU offered, where it will result in games that aren't really that portable except to a really high end PC.

So it's cool and exciting but also kind of not, personally speaking. I guess the next God of War will be cool without those tight walk through crack in the wall bits. But next gen third party will be all the same, maybe a bit smoother on PS5

I agree. The SSD indeed seems like the cell processor situation. As a JRPG gamer, I hope PS5 doesn't do very well, so that we do not go back to the late PS3 era, when many JRPGs were PlayStation exclusive, because they were hard to port to other platforms.

* Because if PS5 is even marginally successful, Japanese developers would develop their games with it in mind. Based on Mark's presentation, we know PS5's SSD allows world design that would not be possible on other platforms. Hence, it's entirely possible the Japanese developers would build their world with PS5 SSD capability in mind, and it would just be impossible to port to other platforms.

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Series X has better specs in the key areas gaming technology has been measured by for the past 30+ years. Faster CPU and GPU with locked clock speeds, 16 additional compute units for ray tracing, more memory bandwidth, and an incomplete backwards compatibility solution.

Yet somehow in the last 24 hours we're getting an awful lot of talk about how none of that is really what it seems. Hmmmmm

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. The SSD indeed seems like the cell processor situation. As a JRPG gamer, I hope PS5 doesn't do very well, so that we do not go back to the late PS3 era, when many JRPGs were PlayStation exclusive, because they were hard to port to other platforms.

I honestly , . . what is this? You guys think an SSD is going to make porting to other hardware so difficult that even if it makes financial sense it wont be done? And you want a system to do bad because of this?

I don't get people. I really don't.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Series X has better specs in the key areas gaming technology has been measured by for the past 30+ years. Faster CPU and GPU with locked clock speeds, 16 additional compute units for ray tracing, more memory bandwidth, and an incomplete backwards compatibility solution.

Yet somehow in the last 24 hours we're getting an awful lot of talk about how none of that is really what it seems. Hmmmmm
Well, you know, there are lots of Sony fans out there. Gotta to keep them happy.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

No you aren't.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

these kinds is leaps of (non existent) logic are incredible to see sometimes.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty much what I was thinking looking at the differences between the systems. We'll see for sure which one is "more powerful" when we start seeing multiplatform games released on both, where we can do a direct comparison. And I think it's safe to say that exclusive titles are going to be incredible on both machines. Until then, I'll wait to here more about feature comparisons and like everyone else, I wanna see the games. Screw the specs, show me the games.

kenji_sama

Nov 23, 2017
you know what, both will have marketing slogan for casual gamers:
- Most powerful console ever
- Fastest console ever.
And everyone wins.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017

clearly you have no idea what you are taking about. Spouting nonsense. And misinformation.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
I honestly , . . what is this? You guys think an SSD is going to make porting to other hardware so difficult that even if it makes financial sense it wont be done? And you want a system to do bad because of this?

I don't get people. I really don't.
these kinds is leaps of (non existent) logic are incredible to see sometimes.
clearly you have no idea what you are taking about. Spouting nonsense. And misinformation.

Because if PS5 is even marginally successful, Japanese developers would develop their games with it in mind. Based on Mark's presentation, we know PS5's SSD allows world design that would not be possible on other platforms. Hence, it's entirely possible the Japanese developers would build their world with PS5 SSD capability in mind, and it would just be impossible to port to other platforms.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

This post make no sense for many reasons .
No the the SSD is not like cell it just like the CPU or GPU both system have them one system it just faster in.
PS5 will not be hard to program for in fact it even easier than PS4 and whole bunch of other reasons why post just make no sense.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Because if PS5 is even marginally successful, Japanese developers would develop their games with it in mind. Based on Mark's presentation, we know PS5's SSD allows world design that would not be possible on other platforms. Hence, it's entirely possible the Japanese developers would build their world with PS5 SSD capability in mind, and it would just be impossible to port to other platforms.

Yeah still nonsense

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

* Because if PS5 is even marginally successful, Japanese developers would develop their games with it in mind. Based on Mark's presentation, we know PS5's SSD allows world design that would not be possible on other platforms. Hence, it's entirely possible the Japanese developers would build their world with PS5 SSD capability in mind, and it would just be impossible to port to other platforms.
In what way is an SSD like the Cell?

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
This post make no sense for many reasons .
No the the SSD is not like cell it just like the CPU or GPU both system have them one system it just faster in.
PS5 will not be hard to program for in fact it even easier than PS4 and whole bunch of other reasons why post just make no sense.

Then, please explain your opinion.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's 15% and DSR will mean it's negligible in most third party games.

Having an SSD that's twice as fast is far more meaningful to gameplay which is why Sony went that way. They'll also be able to price it lower than the X.
It's less than 20 I believe and it's a big deal in the sense that people that care about numbers will care that one is more powerful. The actual chance of some normal person looking at two games side by side between them and pointing out the differences is probably extremely small.

I'm quoting thuway's figure, if you have an issue with their number you can take it up with them. The specific number isn't really the point of my post anyways.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's 15% and DSR will mean it's negligible in most third party games.

Having an SSD that's twice as fast is far more meaningful to gameplay which is why Sony went that way. They'll also be able to price it lower than the X.
Will they? The BoM is apparently very similar for both systems. MS might be able to price match Sony and have the most powerful console at the same price as PS5.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Japanese developers will always develop their games with the PS5 in mind over other platforms.

No, nothing about the PS5 will make porting to other systems impossible.

This is all non sense.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

No 3rd party is going to build games with PS5 in mind only no matter how successful is it .
You might see better loading and streaming but they will not make games for PS5 they can't port .
We are in the multiplatform age and things won't be going back to one system only for most 3rd party devs even Japanese ones.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's less than 20 I believe and it's a big deal in the sense that people that care about numbers will care that one is more powerful. The actual chance of some normal person looking at two games side by side between them and pointing out the differences is probably extremely small.

I'm surprised people are struggling with the idea, both machines are so good, some devs are excited by other options and routes to develop games.

Xbox has clearly won the maths and tf power war, Sony have built a slightly less powerful machine but gone with some really exciting options with the ssd and audio.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Japanese developers will always develop their games with the PS5 in mind over other platforms.

No, nothing about the PS5 will make porting to other systems impossible.

This is all non sense.
Well, Mark certainly spent his time on how PS5's SSD affects world building, and you cannot change the world building when porting things.

No 3rd party is going to build games with PS5 in mind only no matter how successful is it .
You might see better loading and streaming but they will not make games for PS5 they can't port .
We are in the multiplatform age and things won't be going back to one system only for most 3rd party devs even Japanese ones.
That actually depends on the sales of their games on different platforms, which depends on sales of platforms themselves.
We are only in this multiplaform age because porting is so easy in this gen, so the publishers were like why not. Devs don't necessarily develop games with multi-platform in mind though.

Last edited:

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
In the end what's gonna matter is first party games, console pricing and the value of services. People aren't going to give two shits about small unnoticeable SSD speed or FLOPs disparity come 2021. I have both an Xbone and PS4 but I don't see myself getting both new successors at launch (due to $$$ sadly). GPU has been an amazing value compared to PS+ but Sony's first party output has always been superior imo. Jason's right about Sony fumbling their message but I also agree with others saying he doesn't need to clarify or correct them on their fuck up (although clarifying your own misquoted words is entirely understandable).

I think if MS can match the PS5 price point we're in for a good generation launch with both consoles being very successful. Is everyone still thinking $449 or $499? Because I'm broke lol.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan

You are informed about tech, but this is the one area where I disagree with you, and where I think I have more grasp on things
A huge number of Japanese games are made on Playstation and not release on Xbox even to this day... some of them are timed exclusive like FFVII Remake that is coming out soon, others are fully exclusive like SFV. this is not going to change anytime soon, in fact this time Japanese devs know from the start that PS is the clear market leader, and they will be even more behind it than you think.

Multi-platform is common but you can be sure that Japanese companies will base their games on PS5 tech and try their best to maximize its performance with a lot of them being fully or timed exclusive.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
User Banned (1 Day): Console warring, antagonizing another member
Why is an unbiased journalist going above and beyond to evangelize the PlayStation product? jschreier this is a cognitive blind spot my guy.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You are informed about tech, but this is the one area where I disagree with you, and where I think I have more grasp on things
A huge number of Japanese games are made on Playstation and not release on Xbox even to this day... some of them are timed exclusive like FFVII Remake that is coming out soon, others are fully exclusive like SFV. this is not going to change anytime soon, in fact this time Japanese devs know from the start that PS is the clear market leader, and they will be even more behind it than you think.

Multi-platform is common but you can be sure that Japanese companies will base their games on PS5 tech and try their best to maximize its performance with a lot of them being fully or timed exclusive.

Yes PS5 will get a few Japanese exclusive but most will be on other systems .
Let look at this gen all the big Japan devs will keep on puting there games on PC ,PS5 , XSX even stadia ( SFV is on PC) .
The smaller ones will make games for PS5, PS4, ,switch and PC .
Yes Japan devs will base there games around PS5 but not to the degree that they can't port them .
PS4 has sold over 100 miilion and they still do this even if PS5 sell as much games will still be multiplatform .

Status
Not open for further replies.