• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
You're misunderstanding. What I'm trying to explain is that despite Sony's marketing flub, and despite the direct spec sheet comparisons, the sentiment from game developers is all about how exciting this thing is. So as console warrior after console warrior fights over teraflops, my advice is to listen to the people who have actually been using the machine.
Love your work, your book, etc. But I'm also getting the impression you're marketing the machine harder than Sony is. Game developers have told us how awesome a vita is, how much better it is to develop for pc, how nvidia's physx is ground breaking, how Google stadia will allow for x,y, and z. But we normally don't just accept that because each developer, publisher, etc. has certain relationships, business dealings, etc. Right now its like you and a collection of devs telling us "ignore the lack of demos, marketing, hands on" (that the competition is showing) just trust what we're telling you about this other console.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Starting to feel a little.... strange what you're doing, Idk. Like vindictive almost?

Why not just let each console shine? Why spend all this time and energy just to make sure people know the ps5 is more powerful.

Each will have their own strengths and secret sauces and gamers will enjoy both!

Why are you mad about devs correcting the record? It doesn't take anything away from the Xbox.

MikeH

Dec 3, 2018
If I understand this correctly, the PS5 is more powerful than the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series X is more powerful than the PS5.

So, regardless of what we choose, we win.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
I am happy the hardware team at Sony led by Cerny was not impacted that much by the drastic management shuffle and change since PS4 Pro....

seems the marketing team got hit so hard over there..

Nov 11, 2017
What's up with all the damage control for the ps5? It's a great console in it's own right but Jason's transcribe makes it seems like the xbox series x is inefficient and unoptimized. Both consoles are doing different things which is nice. It's not like we comparing an HHD to and nvme

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Love your work, your book, etc. But I'm also getting the impression you're marketing the machine harder than Sony is. Game developers have told us how awesome a vita is, how much better it is to develop for pc, how nvidia's physx is ground breaking, how Google stadia will allow for x,y, and z.

There's a difference between what devs line up to say in fluff marketing videos for a platform, and what they say privately. We've certainly seen developers also letting rip on machines, sometimes more or less privately, when they've dropped the ball. If there's a genuine enthusiasm expressed privately, by independents, and not part of a marketing machine, then I think it's a good sign.

And honestly, it's not hard to believe that devs like both machines very much.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
jschreier reading era like

LuDFhCz.gif
Is not only Jason reading Era, that pretty much me reading Era in alot of diferent topics. But console wars are extremelly dumb, especially when ppl dont even make an effort to get informed about what the machines are atempting to do. Both consoles will be great gaming machines. MS has a vision for the console, Sony has another.

Consequence

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hey would you look at that:

twitter.com

Andrea Pessino on Twitter

“Dollar bet: within a year from its launch gamers will fully appreciate that the PlayStation 5 is one of the most revolutionary, inspired home consoles ever designed, and will feel silly for having spent energy arguing about "teraflops" and other similarly misunderstood specs. 😘”
Revolutionary enough to actually render an entire display resolution's image with no black bars?

Cheap joke, I know.

Xbox FanFest

Banned
Dec 30, 2019
You're misunderstanding. What I'm trying to explain is that despite Sony's marketing flub, and despite the direct spec sheet comparisons, the sentiment from game developers is all about how exciting this thing is. So as console warrior after console warrior fights over teraflops, my advice is to listen to the people who have actually been using the machine.
Do they not like to dev on the Xbox Series X? Are they only excited to dev on the PS5?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I 'm sure te PS5 is an amazing console, but that tweet is from a RaD developer... Do they not have a really close relationship with PlayStation?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway... honestly, as someone who mostly cares more about where the games I want to play will be (which will be PS5 as they'll be by JP devs) rather than graphics or fps - this really sounds likes stuff that will be way more meaningful to me in practice than raw performance? So it's not a deciding factor in what console I'd be getting, but I'm happy to see Sony be the one who does it regardless of how that shakes out market-wise.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I 'm sure te PS5 is an amazing console, but that tweet is from a RaD developer... Do they not have a really close relationship with PlayStation?

He isn't knocking the Xbox, he isn't saying anything about actual power levels, he just thinks the PS5 is really cool.
I can't see why anyone would have a problem.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I am glad that the industry runs on consumers who aren't obsessed with technical specifications of the hardware they play games on and aren't trapped in a never ending loop of arguments they have had since the PS3 and 360 days SNES and Genesis days lol.

FTFY. These same brainless arguments have been taking place for 30 years plus.

OP
OP
jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Love your work, your book, etc. But I'm also getting the impression you're marketing the machine harder than Sony is. Game developers have told us how awesome a vita is, how much better it is to develop for pc, how nvidia's physx is ground breaking, how Google stadia will allow for x,y, and z. But we normally don't just accept that because each developer, publisher, etc. has certain relationships, business dealings, etc. Right now its like you and a collection of devs telling us "ignore the lack of demos, marketing, hands on" (that the competition is showing) just trust what we're telling you about this other console.
I mean, this whole conversation on the podcast started because I was talking about how big a deal it was that Sony has fucked up the marketing of this thing...

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
And what did developers tell you about xbox sx?

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Andrea better use that SSD any way he can so he can fix them lame ass lycan encounters for The Order 1887.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
What's up with all the damage control for the ps5? It's a great console in it's own right but Jason's transcribe makes it seems like the xbox series x is inefficient and unoptimized. Both consoles are doing different things which is nice. It's not like we comparing an HHD to and nvme
probably because to some people the difference between 10.3 and 12 is the difference between awesome beast of a machine and dog shit.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
The narrative is already stablished in internet, ps5 is pretty weaker than the new xbox. GL changing that.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I think RAD used to be a Sony 1st party dev, they are not anymore. They have no reason to lie, especially when other devs have mentioned the same. Just console warriors are Teraflopping.

From my ignorant point of view, it seems XSX will be able to so somethings better, while PS5 will be able to do other things better. But it seems some devs are more excited with PS5 thanks to what the super fast SSD might allow in level design.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
Hopefully all this feed back from yesterday's poor showing will prompt Sony to do another release that actually highlights these awesome new features and shows them in action. They cant go quiet again for months.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, nobody in their right mind are thinking that Sony's PS5 exclusives won't be awesome, but it's easy to suspect that multiplats that needs to run on a slow ass 5400rpm hdd on PC as well will look and perform better on XSX, and PC.

I'm thinking it will be a bit like the PS3/360 generation. At the start of the generation XSX versions of multiplats will look and run better but at the end of the generation the gap will have closed since devs learn new ways to use the faster SSD in the PS5.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My gripe is that for all this talk about the SSD being game changing it is essentially hampered by Playstation being the only device which uses such high pass through speeds. You can't design exclusively around that admittedly impressive stat while leaving Xbox and PC players to languish. Third party developers are not going to treat those audiences as a lesser market unless the tech filters down to the PC level.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No pleasing some of the people here Jason.

I get what you're shooting for but I would just walk away and let the warriors do battle.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
The real question is how this will play out with multiplatform titles. Because the stuff Sony showed in their stream makes it sound like it can only truly be utilized by Sony exclusives such as designing the game in new ways because of how awesome their new SSD tech is. Yes Xbox has a SSD but it very different in implementation, so designing levels around a 5.5 GB/s SSD streaming technique won't translate to multiplatform.

Apparently other devs have said the PS5 has more "secret sauce", Sony should have revealed it in the stream because the take home message right now to the layman public is basically the Xbox beats the PS5 in all specs other than the SSD and perhaps audio ( Xbox does have 3d audio that hasn't been talked about yet).

Nov 11, 2017
probably because to some people the difference between 10.3 and 12 is the difference between awesome beast of a machine and dog shit.
I mean well that's Sony's job to change that narrative which im sure they will. Not sure i need journalist telling us one's an anarchic mess and the others the best advancement since the cd drive

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Messaging can always be fixed, I'm more concerned with Sony's b/c compatibility. They have imo the best library of legacy software and they don't let you access it nearly enough from gen to gen. Everything fell off from PS3 reiteration and I want the full b/c Sony back.

Kanethered

May 29, 2019
I really hope Sony could shift back this mistake soon. The backlash on yesterday's streaming is also huge where I live here.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if one console has a commanding lead in real world examples, I expect third parties will take a kids gloves approach and force effective parity on their releases to stay in good graces for co-marketing funds and the like. This is especially true in the start of the generation when neither console has a foothold and massive generation spanning payouts are on the table (see Destiny).

That didn't really happen this gen though. PS4 versions of 3rd party titles almost always ran at a higher resolution right from the start, and with the Pro and X that was flipped around.

But the difference this time is significantly smaller than either of those of course, so we'll probably just see PS5 games drop their dynamic resolution a bit more often, and it will be largely unnoticeable. Other games might be optimized to run at a locked 4K30 or 4K60 on both consoles, and then the XSX will just have some more headroom above that, which will not be visible at all (except maybe with VRR, and even then the noticable difference would be minimal).

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think RAD used to be a Sony 1st party dev, they are not anymore. They have no reason to lie, especially when other devs have mentioned the same. Just console warriors are Teraflopping.

From my ignorant point of view, it seems XSX will be able to so somethings better, while PS5 will be able to do other things better. But it seems some devs are more excited with PS5 thanks to what the super fast SSD might allow in level design.
I'm not saying they're lying, I just think people are looking for unbiased opinions from devs, and I'm not really sure this is it.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
The real question is how this will play out with multiplatform titles. Because the stuff Sony showed in their stream makes it sound like it can only truly be utilized by Sony exclusives such as designing the game in new ways because of how awesome their new SSD tech is. Yes Xbox has a SSD but it very different in implementation, so designing levels around a 5.5 GB/s SSD streaming technique won't translate to multiplatform.

Depends on the needs of the game to stream through its best assets without pop-in etc. Scaling a game out to tap that speed on the SSD, if it needs that speed, wouldn't be difficult to do on multiplats I guess.

More fundamental uses around game design and the like? Or big shifts in time:space tradeoffs? Yes, that needs more dedicated rethinking.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

I'm sure they are saying the same thing about the Series X. Devs are excited about new tech...I'd hope so.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not sure multiplat games will be able to take advantage of that, yeah. I think the advantages of the SSD speed will be most apparent in PS5 exclusive open-world games. I think developers are still trying to figure out what they can do there, but I think it can fundamentally change the way they design those kinds of games.
Thanks for replying, Jason. Looking forward to your next book.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Jesus reading through those threads is a range of headaches. On one hand sorry to jschreier its hard for some people. I would just step back and not engage the ones that clearly have a lack of understanding or seem like they are twisting words lol

On the other hand, Thank you for doing the great work you do!

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Haven't we heard before that a single number isn't going to be the final answer on actual performance? It's evidently not that simple.

Not to mention that the particular numbers don't seem to be that far apart. Who could have predicted that these would be used without context as fanboy ammunition?!

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
just for clarification sake, you mean people who have actually been using both machines right?

Status
Not open for further replies.