• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
So, for starters, I was talking to an engineer this morning who told me that the way they think of resolutions these days isn't as linear as it used to be -- rather than, say, 1080p vs 720p, you're looking at percentage of frames that hit certain resolution percentages ("75% of frames at 90% resolution at 4k/60fps"). Which will make the discourse even more confusing and insufferable.

Other people have made comparisons to Apple/Android in terms of efficiencies.

The way in which I've been told to think about it is: even if one GPU is capable of better performance than the other, there are a lot of barriers en route to actually maxing out that performance, and it remains to be seen how many developers will be able to overcome those barriers, what they'll look like in practice, and so on.

This stuff is too over my head lol...and this is probably a stupid question but I'm wondering if that's where the ultra SSD comes into play and there's some give and take there (for lack of a better term) to offset the weaker GPU?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny to read that bolded part since earlier today I saw a headline from Google's news feed which read "Xbox Series X is way more powerful than PS5". Granted it's from Windows Central, but the same notion wasn't that uncommon when reading ResetEra users feelings after Road to PS5 talk ended. 99,9% of the content was over my head so I have no idea about the power gap between the two consoles, but I do agree with Schreier's comment that Sony dropped the ball yesterday.

It get's worse Google Stadia is more powerful than PS5 from Android Central.

Right or not it's terrible marketing for Sony.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everything else about PS5 sounds great except for the garbage tier backwards compatibility. How they will only have ~2% of the PS4 titles running on PS5 at launch is beyond me.

To be fair Cerny said 100 of the most played games. So most big games will be covered. It's shitty don't get me wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
jschreier, so what I'm getting from this thread is that, if we misquote you, you'll post here more??? :-p

On a more serious note, I'm surprised that Sony didn't have visual tech demos prepared to give context. They would be useful for developers, and it would give consumers something to gawk at without revealing any of their games in progress.

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
No but everyone seems to be expecting 3rd parties to look and play better on XSX, no?

Maybe PS5 will load faster but at this point it feels like it'll be Pro v X again.

Even if the differences are minimal I expect them to be there.

XSX has an advantage in GPU ALU and bandwidth, which certainly speaks to better resolution, or better framerate if the increase in resolution remains less than the performance gap, and the game is bound on ALU or bandwidth.

But other cases might be more complicated. 'Look better' might be more complicated depending on the game. The SSD difference might make a difference to asset data streaming - asset data is a factor in visual fidelity. The SSD might make a difference in temporal artifacts related to assets.

It's possible some devs might be getting different flavours of performance out of the systems on different fronts. It doesn't sound, by the way, like any of the developers said PS5 was better overall... just possibly better in some ways.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Yesterday's "reveal" was not surprising. A few years ago, they had a similar one with Cerny and were the same "boring" talk. Actually received praise as many liked "Cerny's soothing voice". Yesterday's talk also got a thread praising him, do Sony might've missed the target to some, but was on point to others.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
So, for starters, I was talking to an engineer this morning who told me that the way they think of resolutions these days isn't as linear as it used to be -- rather than, say, 1080p vs 720p, you're looking at percentage of frames that hit certain resolution percentages ("75% of frames at 90% resolution at 4k/60fps"). Which will make the discourse even more confusing and insufferable.

The way in which I've been told to think about it is: even if one GPU is capable of better performance than the other, there are a lot of barriers en route to actually maxing out that performance, and it remains to be seen how many developers will be able to overcome those barriers, what they'll look like in practice, and so on.

Thanks for the clarification Jason, I had one question to ask if you heard anything on Backwards Compatibility in regards to the confusing messaging in the GDC video?

Like is it a case that final clocks were just set not too long ago so they couldn't test BC effectively?

Just wondering as I'm scratching my head to Mark Cerny's" 100" titles currently being tested remark.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
"Let's not talk about the parts where the competitor is superior but focus on the stuff we do better" would seem like a good marketing approach, yes. Sony failed with that. You can call it unfortunate but it was their very own responsibility to be clear with messaging, and they didn't manage to do this outside of the SSD. Not really the role of the journalist to save bad marketing. It's a shame for Playstation though. Also, I wonder, do you have equally as many devs talking about what it's like to work with Xbox Series X? Microsoft listed lots and lots of interesting features for devs on Monday as well.

Last edited:

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jason the important thing that people will keep bringing up over and over is

Are the people you're referencing here and in the podcast reliable neutral parties? The language in the podcast made it seemed like "the people working on this stuff" are devs and engineers literally at PlayStation.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

Thanks for that. But does the PS5 also have performance barriers? I would think that both machines would have some challenges that devs need to transcend.

Or have Sony once again outengineered MS.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I have taken away from Cerny was that he had a vision when creating the PS5. And that vision dealt with changing the way games are designed and played (including audio representation). I'm certain, at least one launch game will feature stuff not possible before and that will make all the difference in people's perception.

MS vision was to make the most power console that eats monsters for breakfast, making what's already on the table better.

From a gaming perspective Sonys vision sounds more interesting. Should have advertised that better.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I did all my console talk discussion for months at least. You can't even properly quote people well and all for your console warrior shit. Tiring.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
the full context makes it clear that Jason wasn't making the point that the PS5 is better, but that the XSX and the PS5, for all their similarities, also have some interesting differences, that teraflops might translate better to a spec sheet than the PS5's possibly harder-to-market advantages but that doesn't mean they tell a complete story, and that for all the narrativizing over the XSX being the more powerful console, a lot of developers seem to be at least equally impressed by the PS5 anyway

getting all that additional discussion, instead of just zooming into that one statement, makes a difference
But the quote doesn't say that PS5 is better either so how is the full context helping with that? Feels like calling something misrepresentation when it might honestly be getting to the point.

Mar 29, 2018
Right now, Sony is dropping the ball so hard in that they haven't talked about what games can actually do with this stuff, because their SSD advantages -
They did actually do this. But it was really buried in the jargon and the examples were pretty vague.

Some real world stuff like the Spider-Man footage he showed last year would have gone much further. But even then, it might not have meant much without a comparison to the XSX side.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier today, someone made an awful thread based on a lengthy conversation I had on the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast by transcribing a single line from it, and it led to 12 pages of truly embarrassing discourse. Since so many of you commented and reacted without actually listening to the episode, and since the thread's creator did such a piss-poor job of giving context, I took the time to type out an actual transcript. Here you go.

Oh, and, listen to Kotaku Splitscreen to get plenty of proper context, scoops, and most importantly, discussion about the weather.

(Note: the conversation started with me criticizing Sony's marketing plan for making the first-ever PS5 event a dry technical stream that was incomprehensible to most fans, as opposed to holding a fan-focused event followed by a GDC talk.)

going to subscribe in overcast assuming it shows up there (link just goes to Apple podcasts) - just as the tiniest way to say thanks and offset 0.1% of your frustrations :)

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
When the guy that actually created the content comes on to your message board to call you out for how bad your thread was.

jschreier , thanks for posting! Your comments are great in context.

Resetera gaming side has been awful over the last few days. I'm really excited for the new console generation to launch, but some of you children are making this incredibly difficult for the rest of us.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Jason you're amazing as always and definitely deserve better than the flak you were getting from the warriors in the other thread.

So yeah, as always we wait for actual game reveals and proper side by side comparisons to tell us the full story of these 2 machines and what type of experiences their owners will have.I'm not foreseeing a scenario where owners will be disappointed with either box given how massive a leap they are over the current gen.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
the funny thing about people freaking out about the spec sheet is that i thought that the presentation by cerny was very clear in explaining the strengths of the platform and how it could be a great leap forward in some ways

sony decided to trust the intelligence of the audience and it was likely a huge mistake, as reactions to the specs and presentation show that most game likers are dumb as bricks

OP
OP
jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jason the important thing that people will keep bringing up over and over is

Are the people you're referencing here and in the podcast reliable neutral parties? The language in the podcast made it seemed like "the people working on this stuff" are devs and engineers literally at PlayStation.
The people I am referring to in this podcast transcript do not work for PlayStation.

In fact, I just saw a ResetEra dev post something very much along the lines of stuff I've been hearing:

What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the funny thing about people freaking out about the spec sheet is that i thought that the presentation by cerny was very clear in explaining the strengths of the platform and how it could be a great leap forward in some ways

sony decided to trust the intelligence of the audience and it was likely a huge mistake, as reactions to the specs and presentation show that most game likers are dumb as bricks
Even Schreier himself said that Sony's messaging was a let down with this presentation. Let's not kid ourselves, some of the messaging was clear as mud. It was a very poor presentation.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I definitely agree that the marketing is terrible so far. Also, jschreier I don't mean to be a bother, but is it possible Sony hasn't been clear with the BC messaging so far? Are there really only going to be 100 BC games available at launch, or have we misinterpreted this as well?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

yeah this is so blown out of proportion. Until we get all details(price, game demos etc) all this arguing is a waste of time. this has gotten so ridiculous. No matter what platform people chose they will at the end of the day get a great experience.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yp.. no surprise here. This is the inevitable outcome of how sony handled this.

As I said in another thread, sony has made really well thought out and balanced console, but they seem to have lost touch with their audience and how these things actually work. They did an honest deep dive, and that was what it was meant to be, but that was the absolute worst way to introduce your new machine to the world. They needed to dumb that shit down thousandfold and at least throw up some demos so people would see what they were actually implying.

Cause as it stands, all the world got from that was, XSX s stronger because it has more flops but PS5 also has a fast SSD.

It's almost sad when you think about it. Just mind-bogglingly crazy.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
real sad that jason even had to come make a thread to clarify.

it's a shame that sony's messaging about this thing has been so confusing and muddled because they easily nailed all those things in the past.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Like I said it's a shitahow lol. Lot's of misinformation, doomposting, intense console warring etc.

But that's all on Sony. This is probably the worst thing they could have done in terms of marketing. The dislikes on the youtube stream are telling enough. Might even be a first. Sony has never been this bad in terms of communication.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I missed the first thread. But I'm glad I didn't miss this one. Thanks for the writeup - interesting stuff.

You also convinced me to subscribe to Kotaku Splitscreen, so... mission accomplished? :)

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That is great, interesting how the theoretical performance level might shake out differently than what the specs say. I do think the SSD might throw a wrench into things, since it's a new thing for consoles and the console seems to be built in a way to avoid real bottlenecks. I barely understand this stuff, but I do understand that it may shake out differently than we think in the end. If we think of the CPU / GPU / SSD or HDD combo in each system as equally important, the scale looks like this (current gen is not to scale, but PS5 and XSX are). I know this is an oversimplification, but if we DO think of all three as equally important to how the game runs and looks on each system, this is how we can visually represent things:

FFbyMGJ.png

And while it's not accurate to represent all 3 as essentially the same thing, my understanding is that it's more valid to do so now than in the past, given how the SSD is fast enough to store meaningful game elements in its memory, which may have been stored in RAM before.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jason: But because of the way Sony has actually presented this thing and marketed this thing, now the narrative is 'The Xbox is way more powerful than the PlayStation,' and I think that is such a -- maybe fatal flaw on Sony's part for this console generation. Maybe it'll all be forgotten if the PS5 comes in cheaper, or it has a killer launch lineup, and maybe none of this will matter in November. Or maybe these consoles won't even be able to come out in November. But right now, it's such a dropping the ball after so many years of smart decisions on Sony's part.
Right now, Sony is dropping the ball so hard in that they haven't talked about what games can actually do with this stuff, because their SSD advantages -- the stuff I'm hearing from developers is very different from what I'm seeing in Sony's marketing strategy, and that is mind-boggling to me. Because I don't want to be like, carrying Sony's water and be like "no, look at what this thing can actually do" but they're just failing so hard to convey that. It's frustrating to watch.
Yep, it's like I said. Many months of silence and bad communication and then this. What a way to hurt your new console and the whole brand. Jesus....

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Both systems are going to be awesome. One will perform slightly better than the other and that will only matter to fanboys and trolls.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Yp.. no surprise here. This is the inevitable outcome of how sony handled this.

As I said in another thread, sony has made really well thought out and balanced console, but they seem to have lost touch with their audience and how these things actually work. They did an honest deep dive, and that was what it was meant to be, but that was the absolute worst way to introduce your new machine to the world. They needed to dumb that shit down thousandfold and at least throw up some demos so people would see what they were actually implying.

Cause as it stands, all the world got from that was, XSX s stronger because it has more flops but PS5 also has a fast SSD.

It's almost sad when you think about it. Just mind-bogglingly crazy.
If that's all people think, then didn't Xbox do a worse job with marketing because CPU and RAM is better too? I just don't get this lamenting over marketing. Talking about Sony's API would not have convinced anyone that the consoles are closer in power and people know that.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
This is still confusing me. It seems like there's still nothing we've learned to suggest that overall X wouldn't make it to higher targets for multiplatform games. It may not be 1:1 lead over PS5 all the time, but all that we know about this hardware now and how devs have managed with spec gaps in the past by comparison is not making it clear why the power advantage for X should be so doubted.

think of it like... a mustang vs. a civic. does one have more power than the other? yes.

if you're on a road that's full of potholes, however, do you ever see that increase in power? probably not. you can only go as fast as the road lets you go safely, unless you're a really good driver.

a big part of sony's argument is that their custom hardware is going to take a lot of those potholes out - this was one of the big motivators behind their very long (and very interesting!) explanation of how their SSD setup works. they've spent a lot of time optimizing data movement speeds, managing decompression, improving data eviction policies, and so on. the theory behind it is that, while you have a lower theoretical top-end, the smooth operation of the hardware means you'll be able to go at a constantly fast speed. by comparison, if the series x is missing some of these features, there might be some games that truly just are faster (the aforementioned "really good drivers"), but it's possible that some games might even run worse. we don't actually know.

there's also some other interesting things of note. for one thing, graphics aren't just a matter of flops. one of the big drivers of pop-in, for example, is memory/hard drive read speed - if you can't replace your models with higher-quality textures at an adequate rate, the player starts to get too close to the low-quality textures (or the non-loaded objects, in extreme cases) and the game looks bad. how much does the significantly faster SSD lead to better graphics by improving texture load times? we have no idea. similarly, the ps5 has an entire audio processing unit that the xbox doesn't. how much workload does this take off of the cpu/gpu? does this lead to better performance? we have no idea - this would largely depend on how much time/effort developers are putting into audio for modern games. (for me personally, I'm incredibly intrigued by the audio fidelity sony was talking about, and genuinely do think it could be the true "leap" of this generation if it pans out)

the point is that, until we get actual games running cross-platform that we can compare directly, we don't know how the hardware truly compares. developers have been saying for a long time that numbers on a box with frequencies and teraflops aren't all that matters for hardware performance. solely comparing cpu/gpu theoretical top ends is like, the tim allen version of thinking about hardware - it's mostly just grunting and shouting about "more power". we'll see soon enough what things look like for sure.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Exactly this. That deep dive was to the point on touched on all the areas or things that made the PS5 special.Touched on what they did and why they chose to dit. Everything was addressed. The mistake they made was that that is not how you address the general audience. Devs maybe, really tech-savvy people yes, but not everyone else.

Everyone else needs to see exactly what you are talking about. Need a visual representation of what is being said. A simple Siderman or GOW demo would have sufficed instead of showing a map of Jak 2. A bathtub with rubber ducks showing RT reflections would have done more for them than a slide showing they also do RT.

Like its so easy to have avoided all this that its just ridiculous to think someone at Sony didn't think of all this. s it stands, everything they did in that deep-dive might as well have just been sent to DF and have them put together a video for them. They would have at least done a far better job than Sony did.

TLT GAMING

Apr 9, 2018
That's not what happened Lmao

Also read his new thread, it actually shows us that like what rational people are saying, that the difference between the consoles in power is smaller than people think.

Sony is dropping the ball hard on marketing, though.

Well according to what was being said it sounds like the PS5 is superior to the XSX all things considered.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
So basically devs are saying that theoretically the Series X has the highest potential, but potential bottlenecks could cause it to not reach that potential, whereas Sony in that presentation went on emphatically about how they are prepared to make sure that they get all they can out their potential. So yeah, it's a 'wait and see' thing as both companies have approached the issue in different ways. Curious to see how it all ends up.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
It get's worse Google Stadia is more powerful than PS5 from Android Central.

Right or not it's terrible marketing for Sony.
Oh wow. That's pretty funny. Especially considering how there are games (such as Destiny 2 and RDR2) that have performed better on current gen hardware (One X) than in Stadia.

Yeah, I agree. This is god awful marketing for them. Then again people at Sony/PlayStation can only blame themselves.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This was a tech presentation for developers. The big take away from my dev (but not game dev) understanding is:
  • huge reduction in the amount of logic you need to write to handle streaming assets (ie none Cerny was explicit that the IO is handled for you)
  • huge reduction in the amount of logic you need to handle calculations around which assets to choose based on what the player is likely to move to in next frame etc
  • huge reduction in time to generate lots of different assets at varying LODs (just use single max LOD asset)
  • huge reduction in QA time (think of all the saved minutes play-testing Bloodbourne if after each death the reload is instant)
  • huge reduction in time to create/iterate levels where the designer wants a particular design but the hardware cannot keep up with what would have to be loaded - level designers can simply design what they want and the asset loading can keep up no matter what -> leading to shorter dev time -> less iterations -> less crunch
I'm not a game dev, but that SSD would enable these improvements in the software engineering / game production cycle - I'm sure the devs working with this hardware love it regardless of how many TFs it has

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
No but everyone seems to be expecting 3rd parties to look and play better on XSX, no?

Maybe PS5 will load faster but at this point it feels like it'll be Pro v X again.

This part has me confused.

The difference between 1x, and pro for most games

1440P/1800P vs 4k
Higher resolution textures
More stable framerate(not 30vs60)

For that difference we needed
50% more ram
35% more bandwith
10% faster cpu
45% faster gpu
4 extra CU

How are we going to get a repeate of the 1x/pro with

Same amount of ram
20% more bandwidth
8% faster cpu
15-20% faster gpu
16 extra CU

Will the extra 12 CU make that big of a difference?

Can someone like dictator chime in?

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Well according to what was being said it sounds like the PS5 is superior to the XSX all things considered.

It's more that they're very close, but each one has its own advantages over the other. PS5 has advantages in rasterization performance and big advantages in I/O and 3D audio, whereas Xbox has more raw compute power and a little more CPU power, and is likely to push resolutions a little higher in third party games.

You'll see see a very small difference in resolution and that's probably it. The difference between PS5 and XSX is significantly smaller than between the PS4 Pro and X1X, and the PS5 has its own advantages (though third party devs probably won't take full advantage of them).

Last edited:

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
They flat out said the stream was a replacement of an event scheduled for GDC, i don't know why people are so shocked when they set themselves up for disappointment. It really comes off as a huge overreaction because people don't want to admit they were expecting more then just dry details. Like, I can't see why anyone would be so upset about this and claim "Sony dropped the ball on marketing". What?? That stream wasn't directed at a mainstream audience since it was a GDC event. Could the social media posts been a little more specific? Yes, but jesus christ people.

Status
Not open for further replies.