• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
You mean to tell me someone created a thread cherry picking something you said while deliberately ignoring all context that didn't suit their agenda?

WELL I FOR ONE AM SHOCKETH

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure the full context here is that much different than the first thread, but glad you could convey the message in your own words.

Have you heard any other concrete examples for SSD leverage outside of open world games?

What is threshold I/O bandwidth needed to support this new development paradigm you allude to without specifics.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Man, my whole view of this whole thing is that the Xbox is put all of it's stats in strength, force, magic and mana while the PS5 put a great amount of their stats there but then put the rest in speed, intelligence, support and unique skills.

Both still dope, just different ways of fighting a battle.

I'm getting both day one.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for this. Sony really dropped the ball on showing the advantages of this console, and now the consequences are reverberating through this forum and many other places.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Not sure multiplat games will be able to take advantage of that, yeah. I think the advantages of the SSD speed will be most apparent in PS5 exclusive open-world games. I think developers are still trying to figure out what they can do there, but I think it can fundamentally change the way they design those kinds of games.
ps exclusives will continue to shine as always. :)

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ya that was a crazy thread. I was actually trying to agree that things are better on both and we are in a sad time. And then someone got mad at me. I get confusion and lack of clarity but this instant jump shit is weird.
Glad it got clarified.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a real shame that you even had to make a thread like this. It reflects so poorly on this toxic community. Keep on keepin on, Jason. Best in the biz!

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
jschreier in what ways are the PS5 better than Xbox other than SSD speed?

Seems your comments imply there's more we don't know about.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure multiplat games will be able to take advantage of that, yeah. I think the advantages of the SSD speed will be most apparent in PS5 exclusive open-world games. I think developers are still trying to figure out what they can do there, but I think it can fundamentally change the way they design those kinds of games.
We should get a new Gravity Rush game to test the SSD out.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think developers are still trying to figure out what they can do there, but I think it can fundamentally change the way they design those kinds of games.

Insomniac open world Dr Strange game where fast traveling lets you open a portal wherever you want on the map, see what's on the other side, and instantly step through.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is going to lead to weeks and weeks of talk about how Xbox is the most powerful console,and so on. Meanwhile I'm getting texts even today from developers being like this is such a shame -- the PS5 is superior in all these other ways that they're not able to message right now or can't talk about right now. I heard from at least three different people in the past couple of hours since the Cerny thing being like, wow, the PS5 is actually the more superior piece of hardware in a lot of different ways, despite what we were seeing in these spec sheets.
All I needed to hear.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
This is going to lead to weeks and weeks of talk about how Xbox is the most powerful console,and so on. Meanwhile I'm getting texts even today from developers being like this is such a shame -- the PS5 is superior in all these other ways that they're not able to message right now or can't talk about right now. I heard from at least three different people in the past couple of hours since the Cerny thing being like, wow, the PS5 is actually the more superior piece of hardware in a lot of different ways, despite what we were seeing in these spec sheets.

Fantastic -- Now I'm even more excited when the consumer-focused reveal happens!

Jason burying Patapon harder in 5 minutes than Sony have in 5 years.

Nice~

And also very sad.

Last edited:

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Dont get why the other thread was closed. Did not feel it was the mispresented but I also went and listened to the podcast afterwards.
Anyway, great to hear developers are happy.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, my whole view of this whole thing is that the Xbox is put all of it's stats in strength, force, magic and mana while the PS5 put a great of their stats there but then put the rest in speed, intelligence, support and unique skills.

Both still dope, just different ways of fighting a battle.

I'm getting both day 1.
This made me clap a bit. lol.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I want to laugh at all this talk of the PS5 SSD being a game changer but then as a long time PC gamer I cant think of a more significant upgrade I have made than jumping from HDD to SSD. And what's crazy is not even PC gaming has been using SSD speeds to its full potential so it will be very interesting to see what happens when it is such priority as the PS5 is making it.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting write-up.

Seems like it'd be a good idea for Sony to get developers talking front and centre talking about how the SSD is going to change how games are developed for the better, and relatively soon if they don't want people going on and on about teraflops for a couple of months.

For myself, I'm sure the first party developers are going to be singing praises about what they can now do with the hardware, but I'm curious how third parties will tackle the lowest common denominator problem, for lack of a better phrase. Will PS5 games be compromised by the Series X having a slower SSD?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Friggin' jschreier, I was 1,000 words into a my own transcript because no one ever posts context / quotes.
Just personally I was really annoyed with the other thread because there was no transcript or even a timestamp provided. I was listening to the podcast on 1.5x speed to try to get a better understanding of the full context, just to know how to approach it from a moderation standpoint.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Listening to the podcast right now, excellent as always! Good on you for speaking up.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that you think the messaging that Xbox is stronger could be a fatal flaw for PlayStation.

Sony need to have a good showing or the messaging will only get worse

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Sony is dropping the ball hard on marketing, though.

It might not be as front loaded as some people might like but it's a bit early to burn Sony's marketing department at the stake. It's the 2-3 months before release and the sales performance at launch that will be final score on marketing, not how exciting the first inning was.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
This is going to lead to weeks and weeks of talk about how Xbox is the most powerful console, and so on. Meanwhile I'm getting texts even today from developers being like this is such a shame -- the PS5 is superior in all these other ways that they're not able to message right now or can't talk about right now. I heard from at least three different people in the past couple of hours since the Cerny thing being like, wow, the PS5 is actually the more superior piece of hardware in a lot of different ways, despite what we were seeing in these spec sheets. So, again, yes, plenty of room to talk about this, for all these companies to keep messaging and showing games, but I do think Sony has really dropped the ball from what we've seen so far.

I found this part super interesting...I wonder what they have that they can't talk about right now. Intriguing.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
KIRK: They can parse it just enough to have a super strong but not entirely informed opinion on this.

This is us. Reading the speculation thread was fun, but a lot of people from both sides are insufferable.

OP
OP
jschreier

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
jschreier in what ways are the PS5 better than Xbox other than SSD speed?

Seems your comments imply there's more we don't know about.
Some of the technical specifics are over my head, but one example is the APIs. I've talked to some engineers who aren't huge fans of Microsoft's DirectX and have grown much fonder of Sony's approach over the past few years, with PS4 and now even more so with PS5.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
The title of the other thread was bad but the OP content seems to convey the same thing. That there's a secret we should expect hasn't been public but will make the head-to-head comparisons much less likely to miss parity than we think. We aren't being given much of an explanation from multiplatform devs if they think this, but here we are being told something unknown will change our minds about what we see in the specs and how specs have typically correlated with which system does better in multiplatform releases.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised going back to that thread and seeing which user poster it. Hopefully that was the last straw as far as their thread posting privileges are concerned.

Thanks for clearing things up Jason.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Thanks for elaborating Jason, everyone needs to calm down both machines are freaking awesome. The misinformation doesn't help anyone.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep up the awesome work Jason. The next-gen discourse here these days has been truly awful, people insulting journalists and legit leakers in a search to find the right combination of words to mantain their own narrative. Truly atrocious.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Launch games will mostly be cross platform in the first year or so anyway, thus designed around lowest common denominators (eg traditional hard drives), so maybe we won't start to see the full benefits till a year or so in, or with next gen exclusives only.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I'm guessing the PS5 SDK will make it easy for third parties to leverage this SSD even on their multiplat games, right? Seems like a waste if it's only for Sony FP.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Jason. That thread earlier was downright embarrassing.
It's a shame Sony is doing so poorly with their messaging. Hopefully they get their act together soon.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
aggregators are a plague. it's come to a point where one of the sports podcasts i listen to, the host says "AGGREGATOR ALERT, THIS WILL GET TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT, AGGREGATOR ALERT"

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy lol.

jschreier you are a treasure sir. Too often threads like that get out of hand with misinformation, really cool to see the actual human who spoke those words come in and slap some sense into the forum.

How long before podcasts come with easily accessible text transcripts available so users could more easily call out lazy OPs? Or is that starting to defeat the point of a spoken podcast?

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed we haven't had someone in this thread say "it was just a GDC talk you're all overreacting" yet (unless I missed it). But on topic - thanks for making this thread jschreier, I found your transcript very reasonable and informative. I agree with your points re: the way Sony is handling this. At the end of the day, I'll more than likely end up owning both platforms. But Watching the way Sony is handling this thus far is kinda nuts.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
You know, I want to laugh at all this talk of the PS5 SSD being a game changer but then as a long time PC gamer I cant think of a more significant upgrade I have made than jumping from HDD to SSD. And what's crazy is not even PC gaming has been using SSD speeds to its full potential so it will be very interesting to see what happens when it is such priority as the PS5 is making it.

I think both consoles having next-gen SSDs is a game-changer. I think the jury is very much out on whether the PS5's SSD being even faster is one.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It might not be as front loaded as some people might like but it's a bit early to burn Sony's marketing department at the stake. It's the 2-3 months before release and the sales performance at launch that will be final score on marketing, not how exciting the first inning was.

Did the marketing department even get a look in on that decision?
It felt like anti-marketing to me.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Good on you for not letting that bullshit fly. This is going to be one hell of an upcoming console gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.