• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been with a new company since shortly after the beginning of the year, where the expectation is yearly raises and promotional opportunities. I don't want to provide too much information, but I've been curious about what your salaries have been like, or if you've received any.

I ask because I'm trying to map out a trajectory of what to realistically expect going forward in my career, as well as planning whether or not in the future to leave the company for another, as I know salary bumps would be much greater when starting a new job at a different company; however, I suppose that's a bridge I'll cross when I get there.

Would also like to know the industry you're in, if you don't mind sharing.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
4.5% per year.

IT Industry

Its okay, I've been working in the same company for about almost 4 years now. I dont expect a raise this year due to the COVID issue.

I'm planning to study for my certifications - once I pass my 4th year anniversary and get some certs - gonna look for another place to work with better pay and possibly/hopefully closer to my new home.

Last edited:

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
About 15-20p extra an hour every year or so.

Edit* Bit pharma but I'm a contractor. I know in the last 10 years my wages have increased by a whopping 2-3 quid.

Last edited:

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Non-existent outside of hopping companies. Over the past 6 years my salary has increased x2.5 by doing so though.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I hadn't had a salary increase for 4 years until earlier on this year.

It barely went up either.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Got my first 'real' job in 2015. Got yearly raises of about 3/3.5%, nothing amazing but not sneering at it. Changed jobs earlier this year for a ~35% jump. Not sure on yearly raises in this new job yet.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm freelance so it isn't really a thing. I was quite surprised when I worked my first office job about a decade ago and realised a lot of people expected annual raises. I often forget that it's a thing.

I'm gonna probably raise my rates a bit next year or the year after once COVID is over, as I'm probably underpaid for the amount of work I'm doing. I raised my rates a few years ago and got a 30% pay bump (but I was grossly underpaid before that).

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
2% a year as cost of living. And in general about 1K a year on performance related increments. Once i hit the top of my scale i will only get cost of living.

In finance, UK.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
A merit increase every year, but substantial salary increases only come with a promotion or new role. They said, I've moved Aaron's within my company quite a bit and make a great salary now.

Corp America/travel & tourism/construction/project mgmt

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
$80 -> $100 -> $115 -> $125

Only one of these was cost of living raise. Going to try to argue for a small raise this year but idk because of Corona.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had a few 10%, a couple 2s and 3s, was supposed to get a 4% in April but COVID hit and they "suspended" them for this year.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my 4th year now

72k -- > 76k -> 85k - > 90k (rough numbers)

From here on out it'll be a 5-6k raise every year. It's union so we have a salary grid, my current position is a 4k bump each year but that raises across the board by 2% (current contract) so it works out to more than that. Year 2-3 was a promotion so that's why it jumped 10k, I have one more promotion left (bump's my yearly increase to like 4.5K before the 2%) and after that I would need to become a supervisor to get into any higher pay brackets.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Most years with most companies I have gotten a 3-3.5% salary increase every year. I've had a couple of 4% and 4.5% year end raises in that time but generally I expect 3.5% or so each year (assuming no promotions or changing jobs which I have no intention of at this time).

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
3-4% each year I guess? However, I'll be hitting a cap soon, and my review was supposed to be in March. Never did get that review.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
74 -> 82 -> 92 -> 104.

Not terrible for someone sticking with the same employer although I will say that I don't expect my next one to be nearly as big as the above trend.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
biggest raises were by changing companies. Anything in between that has been insignificant.

my salary is now 75% more then what I started with 12 years ago, stayed in the same industry, same job.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I forget the exact number, but at my last job in an academic research organization, it was around 3% to 4% per year to account for inflation.

Getting a raise tied to a title change and more responsibilities was impossible. Hell, getting the title change was hard enough. Was able to negotiate a small bonus when I left at least. But I think that only happened because they realized another employee and I could file a charge of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Lesson learned. Find a new job if they expect you to perform the all the responsibilities of a senior position, but balk at giving you the title and pay.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I get a "raise" every couple of years from progressing in my career and taking more responsibility. Sounds really bad, but I don't know my exact salary. HR are annoying to deal with and the system for paying me is very confusing.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I've worked for 5 years now, and comparing my starting salary to the current one it's gone up about 30% or so in total. Not counting this year's raise as it hasn't happened yet.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
$80 -> $100 -> $115 -> $125

Only one of these was cost of living raise. Going to try to argue for a small raise this year but idk because of Corona.
Is this per hour or 80K, 100K /year?

Because if you got a 20$ per hour raise at the same company then.. you should stay there lol

ExMachina

Oct 25, 2017
USA
4 years at my current job. 4% annual merit increases, but the biggest changes were a 7% raise 2 years in and a 13% bump with a promotion.

Finance, USA.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been with a new company since shortly after the beginning of the year, where the expectation is yearly raises and promotional opportunities. I don't want to provide too much information, but I've been curious about what your salaries have been like, or if you've received any.

I ask because I'm trying to map out a trajectory of what to realistically expect going forward in my career, as well as planning whether or not in the future to leave the company for another, as I know salary bumps would be much greater when starting a new job at a different company; however, I suppose that's a bridge I'll cross when I get there.

Would also like to know the industry you're in, if you don't mind sharing.

I work in IT in education (K-12 system) in Canada. Our pay grid gives approximately 5% raises per year for seven years in any given position. Typically the next position above (if you receive a promotion) will then start about 5-10% above the cap on the previous grid. So our salaries range from around $55k/yr for Tier 1 support, up to around $115k/yr for Tier 3, I believe, with managers and the CIO making a bit more.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
SMB sales so incentive based primarily; if I want a raise I just work more? Sucks but I tend to gravitate towards incentive based work since I have been able to make an absolute killing in sales.

Our base pay has not seen an increase in 4 years; IIRC.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Missed the raise this year because of corona, bosses said they'll talk to me again in a handful of months.

Mar 21, 2018
Excellent, but that's because I managed to personally negotiate a 60% increase over two raises in a six month period.

I'm quite happy with my pay.

Oct 27, 2017
Around 2-2.5% a year at my old company that I worked for close to a decade. Got a 7% increase when I started my new job last August but I also got a 5k bonus at the end of last year. I won't find out my raise this year till sometime this week.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
It's been a "cost of living" increase each time, but it was only pennies every time and never actually covered the rent increases...
Edited to add: I work(ed) an administrative position in food service.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm making (taking home) 20% more than I was in 2009....but tbf I now also own the company, so I'm trying to not drain the company by upping my wages unnecessarily either. I was making $50K when I started, and now I pay myself a salary of $60K, even though I know if I had to hire someone to fill my position, I'd probably have to end up hiring 3 people at $60K each. I'll probably look at giving myself something of a bonus at the end of the year, if things continue on an upwards trajectory.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
3-4% and bonus that's a little smaller than that. Don't know if it's gonna happen this year though...

OP
OP

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm making (taking home) 20% more than I was in 2009....but tbf I now also own the company, so I'm trying to not drain the company by upping my wages unnecessarily either. I was making $50K when I started, and now I pay myself a salary of $60K, even though I know if I had to hire someone to fill my position, I'd probably have to end up hiring 3 people at $60K each. I'll probably look at giving myself something of a bonus at the end of the year, if things continue on an upwards trajectory.
Ooo now this is interesting - the perspective of a small business owner.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
3-5% per year. It's not performance based or anything. My boss just kind panic picks a number when I ask him for raises because it makes him so uncomfortable

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
On years where I don't get a promotion (with much larger pay bumps) I normally get a 4% pay raise. This review cycle because of COVID-19 I only got a 2% raise though.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Work at Costco.

Started at the warehouse making 13ish an hour? Chump change but for Texas where "good" entry level jobs were playing 10-12 and everything else was 7-9 min wage shit it was solid. Plus bennies. I think they bumped it to 14 just before I left.

Moved to Washington since I got a job at the corp office and pay got bumped to 17.50. This was January 2019. Since then I think there were 1-2 company wide raises and then on top of that you get a dollar+ raise every 6ish months (based on hours worked) I think I'm sitting at about 23 an hour with another raise coming in the next month or so. Pretty good bump for 2ish years. The other nice thing is they just had a posting in my department for what would be the next promotion up for me. I did well on the interview but they utlimately gave it to someone who has like just under 2 more years in the dept as me. It's a substantial pay raise to I think 70k+ a year so I got that to look forward to