• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best looking game so far this console generation?

• Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

Votes: 1,095 41.4%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 736 27.8%
  • Forza Horizon 5

Votes: 1,066 40.3%
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator

Votes: 566 21.4%
  • Ghosts of Tsushima (PS5)

Votes: 119 4.5%
  • Returnal

Votes: 141 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 58 2.2%

• Total voters

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Ratchet, no doubt ( although I didn't play MSFS). The animations in Ratchet are amazing.

Forza H 5 looks great, but not particulary better than 4. The character models in FH5 are hideous.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Forza Horizon 5 is definitely up there, but for me Rift Apart was still an overall more polished, consistent, clinical and next-gen looking visual package. Cliche as it is to say, it really was like playing a CGI movie, with ridiculous amounts of geometric complexity, insane shaders and ground breaking tech with the realm shift stuff.

Some gameplay screens.

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210620180629-01.jpg

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210617055458.jpg

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210617060330.jpg

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210615003335.jpg

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210618003856.jpg

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210617205956.jpg

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210621021449.jpg

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210616034038.jpg

Ratchet-Clank-Rift-Apart-20210621165024.jpg

Flight Sim looks real. Not sure how that's not the default winner lol

It absolutely can and often does, but it's also considerably less consistent visually than both Forza Horizon 5 and Rift Apart (perhaps unsurprisingly given how much it covers). A city like New York can look absolutely incredible, whilst Bora Bora, Dhaka, Dubai and so many other places can look quite meh with poor geometry, textures etc, especially if you start getting remotely close to the surface.

Flight sim looks lovely..until you get closer to the ground.

So glad you listed MM. That game is beautiful for sure.

Tbh I also found elements of Miles Morales rather inconsistent visually too, namely up high during night time where the illumination/geometry of cityscapes as well as the lighting, didn't look particularly convincing. Day time, sunset, indoors, night time street level etc did look amazing though.

Last edited:

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
Not played rift apart but it does look amazing.
Forza horizon and flight sim look the best from what I have played myself. Forza even looks amazing on the series s attached to 4 year old 40 inch Samsung literally took my breath away playing the intro sequence, the hdr looked brilliant in the part where you drop into the volcano.

ManuZero

Jul 14, 2020
It's so weird to me Horizon 5 got that many votes. Yes I agree, it's a fantastic looking game, but Horizon 4 (X1X, PC) was a fantastic looking game as well. To me FH 5 looks like upgraded FH 4, nothing more, nothing less. No mind blowing next gen experience. Also all of these photo mode pics people keep posting don't represent the actual gameplay experience.
I could imagine I would have a way better impression of the game if it had decent AA though. Those old-school jaggies aren't a good look.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Ratchet. FH5 is really good looking, but the stuff Ratchet pushes on screen at the same time including RT is insane.
And that , on paper, on a less powerful hardware

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (3 days): platform warring
That people post gameplay shots of Ratchet and photomode shots of Forza says a lil something.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Ratchet. FH5 is really good looking, but the stuff Ratchet pushes on screen at the same time including RT is insane.
And that , on paper, on a less powerful hardware

That less powerful hardware doesn't stop Insomniac. I think the Series X has an advantage, but the Sony first party studios are so crazy talented that the difference shouln't matter.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Ratchett has great art direction, Forza Horizon 5 is more impressive from a technological standpoint. With regard to the looks of a game I personally prefer art direction over technology.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet for me but something about Demons Souls grabbed me the most, probably the art direction. And shout out to Horizon but the excessive amount of pop up knocks it down a notch. So yeah ratchet

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Ratchett has great art direction, Forza Horizon 5 is more impressive from a technological standpoint. With regard to the looks of a game I personally prefer art direction over technology.

yea the amount of geometry, poms, cone step, tessellation, etc on the environment is insane and it's open world and a racer. So many people like Alex from DF wished we could just walk out the car and play it like a fps/tps it's that good

ingame drone

FFD-jTAWUAAggK6

FFD-lFbXEAkdgmD

FFD-mrXXIAcShEo

FFD-omIXIAY4G5d

FFD-6uTXEAQQ7tr

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Ratchet. I think the game overall is kind of whatever, but as a next-gen showcase it's the best we've got so far.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I've played most of these games and I find it weird that Forza has more votes than Demons Souls and Ratchet lol In-game Forzas graphics were really nice but I could still tell it was a cross gen game.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
I've played most of these games and I find it weird that Forza has more votes than Demons Souls and Ratchet lol In-game Forzas graphics were really nice but I could still tell it was a cross gen game.
Curious to know how one can tell the cross-genness of a game.

Also, Ratchet has more votes than FH5.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I think it's close between Ratchet and FH5 (yes, I've played both and pretty much all of the games being discussed). The environments in FH5 are stunning, and for folks that think it looks like FH4 that's the key difference to me.

Ratchet looks amazing as well, yet they are hard to compare due to the art style differences. There is so much happening at once in Ratchet, and the detail is insane. I voted FH5, but keep going back and forth in my head.

Wanted to mention Gears Hive as well, as I think it deserves a place in this convo more than many of the others. As for Flight sim, it doesn't win for me due to the inconsistencies many have mentioned.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
yea the amount of geometry, poms, cone step, tessellation, etc on the environment is insane and it's open world and a racer. So many people like Alex from DF wished we could just walk out the car and play it like a fps/tps it's that good

ingame drone

FFD-jTAWUAAggK6

FFD-lFbXEAkdgmD

FFD-mrXXIAcShEo

FFD-omIXIAY4G5d

FFD-6uTXEAQQ7tr
Legit I could easily be fooled thinking the non car ones were Crysis shots. The game is simply stunning

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
FH5, when the skies open up and I'm driving across some lush area the game leaves me in total bliss.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
It's ratchet, not only is there an insane amount of detail and effects. The enemy count and particle effects can get insane the more you use your gun and gadgets, but the frame rate remains rock solid

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Nice to see Ratchet and FH5 essentially tied. Shows that BOTH platforms are finally sinking properly big budgets into their games.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

ingame drone

FFD-jTAWUAAggK6

FFD-lFbXEAkdgmD

FFD-mrXXIAcShEo

FFD-omIXIAY4G5d

FFD-6uTXEAQQ7tr
This still blows my mind, PG and T10 have turned out to be among the best studios in the industry. Imagine how good a next-gen exclusive Forza Horizon or Motorstorm will look...also Fable will melt eyes.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Technically? Flight Sim, and it's not even close. It looks incredible on X|S, but my GOD does it literally look photorealistic on PC, and the scale of being able to fly everywhere on planet Earth at any given moment? That's something that no other game will be able to match this gen, mark my words.

In my personal experience on PC, in no particular order: Flight Sim, GotG, FH5, Fenix Rising, Control, and RDR2. Hell, toss Doom Eternal in there as well.

For Series X specifically: FH5, quality mode. Whilst I haven't seen this version of the game in person (PC), I've seen enough videos to know that this game is an absolute showpiece for the Series consoles, but especially for the Series X.

And, for PS5: R&C: Rift Apart. Technically, what the game is doing is amazing with the SSD, but visually as well it looks damn great.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Fh5 not too different from FH4? I'm going to need receipts for that one.
Well, different opinions and all that, which is completely fine. Personally though for me, I've now played both games on PC, essentially maxed out, and there is a pretty substantial visual gap between Horizon 4 and Horizon 5. The latter is so much more dense EVERYWHERE, and sharper and crisper than FH4. The lighting is greatly improved, the foliage is better, the god rays are a lot better, the smoke effects, fog, skybox is vastly better, etc.

To me, FH5 looks a half generation from FH4, and that's not hyperbole.

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Of what I've played on my PS5 Demon Souls and TLOU2 funnily enough.

Won't comment on Xbox games as I only have a Series S.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Tbh I also found elements of Miles Morales rather inconsistent visually too, namely up high during night time where the illumination/geometry of cityscapes as well as the lighting, didn't look particularly convincing. Day time, sunset, indoors, night time street level etc did look amazing though.

Yeah I'd agree. I wasn't a fan of some parts of the game, but overall I think it looked great more often than Flight Sim, especially if you're not streaming the map in.

Which is why Ratchet got my vote. Beautiful game.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Ratchet is my vote.

I love FH5 but I'm one of the few that doesn't think it's that much better than FH4 when playing at the speeds the game normally play at.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Its ratchet.

Forza while nice has the same thing as spiderman miles morales, its pretty but its just a last gen title doctored up for next gen.

Oct 31, 2017
Ratchet and Clank. The details in that game is insane and on top of that they dared to add Raytracing with 60fps mode. The game is totally nuts and Insomniac deserve every award for graphics they get with it.

Demon's Souls, Death Stranding Director's Cut and Battlefield 2042 are also outstanding looking games

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
I've played all 3 of the big ones and it's interesting I would say ratchet is the best, but I feel like it would be more impressive with a more realistic artstyle
eg demons souls totally has that realistic photogrammetry look like battlefornt and because of that all the materials, rocks and surfaces look amazing but it's a very still and simply designed world.

forza horizon is also excellent especially for an open world and the speed you travel at but it can be inconsistent especially when you slow down while addimitdy rare I've seen trees that don't touch the ground, some muddy textures and I don't think it quite nails the tree and grass popin(though these could straight up be bugs more so than intentional.).

This might be a little random but I think red dead redemption 2 has the best looking far distance something about how they do fog and haze makes it look so good.(mountains and cliffs etc) But the aliasing in the horses tail and other hair always really buged me haha.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
From the games I've played.

PS5: Ratchet and Demon's Souls. Miles is also up there. The density of the city in 4K/60FPS is really impressive.
XSX: Forza Horizon 5 and Ori II
Multiplatform: Guards of the Galaxy. The performance holds it back compared to the others but the new ray tracing mode is quite a feast for the eyes.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The beginning of the game, when you're first introduced to the night time of the city straight up looks like an early gen PS4 game or even worse imo

But on the other hand, the big fight towards the end of the game in the snow storm looks absoultely incredible - so yeah, quite visually inconsistent

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC

ingame drone

FFD-jTAWUAAggK6

FFD-lFbXEAkdgmD

FFD-mrXXIAcShEo

FFD-omIXIAY4G5d

FFD-6uTXEAQQ7tr

Yep, and all this with being a massive open world with a diverse weather and day/night cycle. Imagine if Playground made a game with traditional small/linear levels...Jesus Christ. People surprised at the votes and saying it looks like a crossgen game clearly have not played it. I know it is a crossgen game but it certainly does not look it.

BC-2

Dec 3, 2018
A week ago I would have said Forza Horizon 5 but I just started Ratchet and Clank, and it is something else.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
rift apart, especially with what it achieves at 60fps using ray tracing and all.
fh5 doesn't look like photomode shots at performance mode, and has pretty bad pop-in.

Apr 24, 2018
I haven't gotten around to getting a PS5 yet, but I have to say the quality mode of Guardians of the Galaxy on the XSX looks far better than I imagined it would!

MartyNick

May 7, 2021
Not really, the car models are not accurate in FH5 and visually the cars are not far from FH4 or GT Sport with GT Sport having better and more accurate car models (this account should be proof : https://twitter.com/emula86/status/1461018854033924106?s=21).
The scapes/environments are impressive but in that case you should include Death Stranding in the poll choices too.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet for me. It just does everything so damned well. Scene density is astonishing, and the amount of action it is able to display without dropping frames is second to none. Ratchet out of all of the above is the one which feels like it is starting to take advantage of the new hardware rather than just scaling what we got used to last generation. Of the others FH5 feels close, but while that game stuns at 30FPS I found it lost a lot of the punch at 60, whereas Ratchet has 60+RT and the 40FPS setting too both of which look amazing.