• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Man, in the middle of 1989, after the PC-Engine/TurboGrafx-16 and Mega Drive/Genesis had long since been released in Japan, there were at the very least 7 more consoles that had either been announced, or rumored to be waiting in the wings, across Japan, the UK and the U.S./NA. that would launch during 1989 and 1990.

1. Nintendo Super Famicom
2. Konix Multi System aka Slipstream
3. Epyx 16-bit console/handheld
4. Amiga console based on the Amiga 500
5. Atari 16-bit console based on the ST line.
6. The Namco 16-bit console "Super System"
7. NEC 16-bit PC Engine 2

Of those, only like 3 and half of them came to market.

Epyx system bought by Atari, released as the Lynx
Amiga CDTV
NEC SuperGrafx (8-bit like the PC Engine but more RAM, VRAM and 2nd graphics chip)
Super Famicom SNES

canceled:
Konix MultiSystem
Namco 16-bit System
Atari 16-bit ST console (and Panther)
16-bit PC Engine 2
Also the NeoGeo AES.

Weren't Taito and Konami were both also prototyping 16bit consoles?

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
The Genesis can do some really cool things with the highlight/shadows feature:

(see 8:16)

However, the Genesis isn't actually mixing / blending two pixels together, and therefore it's not technically transparency. It's still a cool feature, though; I'm not really familiar with the Genesis's capabilities, but I think the Chrono Trigger and DKC examples could both probably be done on the Genesis because those games simply use the SNES color blending to basically lighten or darken some pixels.

But yeah, there are plenty of other examples that really show off the power of the SNES's color blending, like this

Screen_Shot_2017_01_10_at_12.49.31_PM.0.png

or this

Yoshi%27s_Island_5-4_boss.png

which simply can't be done on most other platforms at the time.

The transparency of the SNES and the shadow/highlight of the Genesis each have their specific scopes that limit the way those effects can be used in practice in different way. People usually bring up transparency in a really reductive way like developers could apply it in any way they wanted, but that's not really the case. This is somewhat outside my knowledge, but IIRC the SNES transprency needed to have an entire background layer dedicated to it. So it's seldom ever used for non background objects, since it has to be a background masquerading as a sprite just like for scaling and rotation effects.

The shadow/highlight on the other hand while being more simple offset of palette values, also had the advantage of being applied more flexibly. I think you actually saw more use of it for "transparent" spot shadows on characters in fighting games whereas SNES fighters still stuck with flickering shadows cause dedicating actual transparency to that wouldn't be worth all the trouble. Light shaft effects in the foreground were also fairly common. There's a particularly clever use of the effect in EA's The Haunting where the player sprite's black jacket and shoes use the shadow effect to give the impression of a transparent sprite.

phJYTSP.jpg

0Lv196t.png

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Also the NeoGeo AES.

Weren't Taito and Konami were both also prototyping 16bit consoles?

Fuck, I forgot about Neo Geo when I was thinking of all the announced and rumored systems. Actually no, I was going by what was known in by mid 1989.
We didn't hear about the Neo Geo arcade/home until March/April 1990. Probably in Japanese magazines in February 1990.

I think we only heard about the Konami console within the last ten years, not back in the 90s.

I didn't know about the Taito /JSB WOWOW 16-bit CD-ROM + satellite linked console until the early 2000s.

Last edited:

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Amiga 1000 released 5 years prior to the SNES and had the PCM sample-based Paula chip. More affordable Amiga 500 released 3 years prior with Paula as well.
This is true, and I think a lot of people miss something equally important from an audio standpoint: SNES was the first one with built-in effects (echo). So instead of just raw crunchy digital sound, you could put your samples into an acoustic space for the first time. (if you had the ram for it)

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The transparency of the SNES and the shadow/highlight of the Genesis each have their specific scopes that limit the way those effects can be used in practice in different way. People usually bring up transparency in a really reductive way like developers could apply it in any way they wanted, but that's not really the case. This is somewhat outside my knowledge, but IIRC the SNES transprency needed to have an entire background layer dedicated to it. So it's seldom ever used for non background objects, since it has to be a background masquerading as a sprite just like for scaling and rotation effects.

The shadow/highlight on the other hand while being more simple offset of palette values, also had the advantage of being applied more flexibly. I think you actually saw more use of it for "transparent" spot shadows on characters in fighting games whereas SNES fighters still stuck with flickering shadows cause dedicating actual transparency to that wouldn't be worth all the trouble. Light shaft effects in the foreground were also fairly common. There's a particularly clever use of the effect in EA's The Haunting where the player sprite's black jacket and shoes use the shadow effect to give the impression of a transparent sprite.

phJYTSP.jpg

0Lv196t.png
Ooh, I knew shadows were used in Ranger X but didn't realise there were other titles with such obvious demonstrations of it. Wonder how many more there are.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
This is true, and I think a lot of people miss something equally important from an audio standpoint: SNES was the first one with built-in effects (echo). So instead of just raw crunchy digital sound, you could put your samples into an acoustic space for the first time. (if you had the ram for it)
You do realise that with PCM samples, you could sample sounds with effects already applied, such as echo and reverb, so you still get the end result? Besides, Amiga could still apply effects to samples without needing a DSP, so the SNES isn't the first time:

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
You do realise that with PCM samples, you could sample sounds with effects already applied, such as echo and reverb, so you still get the end result? Besides, Amiga could still apply effects to samples without needing a DSP, so the SNES isn't the first time:

While that's a fat track, the echo is programmed in, and you can do that on NES, C64, and other systems as well. And of course you could sample any sound with any amount of reverb, but I'm talking about real time effects, not pre-baked stuff. These let you have an actual ambient reverb. It was used to good (and not-so-good) effect not just in music, but also on sound fx ie when transitioning to interior areas.

These effects are everywhere in games today, and the SNES was the first system to really have them.

Last edited:

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
While that's a fat track, the echo in that is programmed in, and you can do that on NES, C64, and other systems as well. And of course you could sample any sound with any amount of reverb, but I'm talking about real time effects, not pre-baked stuff. These let you have an actual ambient reverb. It was used to good (and not-so-good) effect not just in music, but also on sound fx ie when transitioning to interior areas.

These effects are everywhere in games today, and the SNES was the first system to really have them.
I get what you are saying, but you gave the effects "equal importance" to the ability to do PCM samples. Sorry, I don't give it that much weighting. It's a nice to have feature, no doubt. You could do effects in software with the Amiga, and I gave a link above (MP3). Now there may be dynamic effects as well in Amiga games, but they would be harder to differentiate from pre-baked ones. Now your example of transitioning to different areas, you could have another set of samples for those as well, memory permitting.

Obviously, dedicated hardware is better. But you were claiming the SNES did effects first with PCM samples. I think what you mean is the SNES was the first with dedicated hardware for sound effects. Which maybe true.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can only really think of transparency. Transparency is something I think Sega struggled with for a long time, and why they made such a big deal out of it with the Dreamcast. Sonic Adventure 1 was a big testing ground of transparency even going as far to create a character (Chaos) that was transparent.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

phJYTSP.jpg

0Lv196t.png

This isn't up for debate really. Genesis can do transparencies with hardware tricks, but the hardware itself doesn't support it. SNES supports it because it can do colour addition, averaging and subtraction and it's applied on everything from menu transparencies to pretty much every aspect of most games. Even crappy licensed games with low effort used transperencies somewhere.

Here's a TT's Jon Burton talking about how the transparency effect (not dithering) is achieved in Sonic for example.
It's a hardware trick on the Genesis. SNES did not have to deal with this.

youtu.be

The Coding Secrets hidden in "Sonic the Hedgehog"

I tear apart the original Sonic the Hedgehog game to expose the secrets of how it was coded.Color Palette glitch video - https://youtu.be/_euM-nL6g1sIs That ...

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
If find that some of the sprite work in the SNES better than the Genisis, specially those Capcom titles such a Demon's Crest, Disney Games, MMX games ETC. I don't ever recall such nice sprites in any Genesis game , is this because of the colors?
You should check out the Genesis versions of Disney games, they were just as smoothly animated, if not better (though in some cases, like Aladdin, the games were entirely different, by different developers). But yes, the number of colors made a HUGE difference, as well as the fact that Genesis had a limited number of color palettes to choose from, while SNES the developer could choose which exact colors to use. SNES also could do more smaller sprites on the screen at once than Genesis, though the Genesis CPU speed allowed them to do more with the sprites they had. Larger sprites the two systems are about equal, though Genesis had more sprite memory, so fighting games with huge characters sometimes had things cut out on the SNES that were in the Genesis version, such as elephants in the background of Street Fighter 2.

Which is another hardware advantage SNES had, it didn't rely on terrible addons.
Yeah, but those games were more expensive than other games. It was kind-of like an add-on that you had to pay for with each game that used it. Star Fox for example was $60, which would be $107 in 2020 dollars. Later games would get up to $75 ($133 in 2020!)

Last edited:

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
I get what you are saying, but you gave the effects "equal importance" to the ability to do PCM samples. Sorry, I don't give it that much weighting. It's a nice to have feature, no doubt. You could do effects in software with the Amiga, and I gave a link above (MP3). Now there may be dynamic effects as well in Amiga games, but they would be harder to differentiate from pre-baked ones. Now your example of transitioning to different areas, you could have another set of samples for those as well, memory permitting.

Obviously, dedicated hardware is better. But you were claiming the SNES did effects first with PCM samples. I think what you mean is the SNES was the first with dedicated hardware for sound effects. Which maybe true.
I see what you mean, I didn't mean to single out your post. While dsp effects were maybe not quite as important as actual PCM sound, they were still a pretty cool and important feature. SNES games would sound (and feel) a lot different without it.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but those games were more expensive than other games. It was kind-of like an add-on that you had to pay for with each game that used it. Star Fox for example was $60, which would be $107 in 2020 dollars. Later games would get up to $75 ($133 in 2020!)
During the 16 bit generation game prices ranged around $50-$60 in US with the more niche (RPG)/more in the demand (fighting vs) that could reach $70-$75.
Star Fox's $60 price tag therefore wasn't perceived as something out of ordinary.
The reason why Star Fox fell in the standard price bracket, despite the SuperFX chip included, was that it used a ROM of only 4Mbit and was a first-party game (thus no royalty fee to pay to others).
The additional chips added to the cost of the cart but the consumer price was never outrageously higher (with the notable exception of the SVP chip in Virtua Racing for Mega Drive), usually in the range of $5 (Super Mario Kart, DSP-1) -$10 (Star Fox, SuperFX) higher than the base $50 price tag for first-party games.
What had a notable impact to the final consumer price was the size of ROM utilized, for example with Street Fighter 2 on SNES, which was a 16Mbit game in a time most games were between 4Mbit and 8Mbit, retailing for $75-$78.
Similarly Strider for Mega Drive, that was the first 8Mbit MD game, had a retail price closer to $70.

For context:

Electronic Boutique Christmas 1993 catalog

Electronics Boutique Christmas 1993 Catalog

In this catalog Mortal Kombat was of course a hot item but the really interesting part was seeing the Genesis vs Super Nintendo console war in full swing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
During the 16 bit generation game prices ranged around $50-$60 in US with the more niche (RPG)/more in the demand (fighting vs) that could reach $70-$75.
Star Fox's $60 price tag therefore wasn't perceived as something out of ordinary.
The reason why Star Fox fell in the standard price bracket, despite the SuperFX chip included, was that it used a ROM of only 4Mbit and was a first-party game (thus no royalty fee to pay to others).
The additional chips added to the cost of the cart but the consumer price was never outrageously higher (with the notable exception of the SVP chip in Virtua Racing for Mega Drive), usually in the range of $5 (Super Mario Kart, DSP-1) -$10 (Star Fox, SuperFX) higher than the base $50 price tag for first-party games.
What had a notable impact to the final consumer price was the size of ROM utilized, for example with Street Fighter 2 on SNES, which was a 16Mbit game in a time most games were between 4Mbit and 8Mbit, retailing for $75-$78.
Similarly Strider for Mega Drive, that was the first 8Mbit MD game, had a retail price closer to $70.

For context:

Electronic Boutique Christmas 1993 catalog

Electronics Boutique Christmas 1993 Catalog

In this catalog Mortal Kombat was of course a hot item but the really interesting part was seeing the Genesis vs Super Nintendo console war in full swing.

Yeah cartridge prices were more varied back then. But I do remember SNES games being up to $10 more expensive for comparable games, and Sega even made ads about it. Here's an ad from 1993 , note MK is $10 more on SNES and the most expensive Genesis games topped out at $64 while some SNES games topped out at $69.

That said, one of those $69 games was SNES Mortal Kombat and it did not use any chips, so I don't think its really a 1-1 correlation. MK's higher price I think was because it was on a 16-mbit cart while the Genesis version was smaller I think it was on a 12-Mbit cart.

0zEX3imG6pCJz0q4g5iMG.jpg

Qg5F187TLMw85NibM8JDy.jpg

source: https://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/4546/1993-toys-r-us-catalog

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I was extra lucky to find a Japanese version new for $60 CAD back then. I did buy the NA version of Gaiares new (another early 8 megabit game) and I don't remember there being a jacked up price on it.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Saying the snes library is vastly superior to the genesis is pretty hilarious. Absolutely not. I will say that more games on snes withstood the test of time more than a lot of genesis games but that is no different than the n64 vs ps1 to be honest. When the games were new the library was incredible on both sides. Audio wise the snes had a better sound chip when it came to voices and that's where it ends. Other than that they were both very capable but also completely different. Bass and percussion usually sounded better on genesis while atmospheric sounds sounded better on snes due to its better use of sampling. Regarding the specs they traded plus and minuses. The genesis cpu was over 2x as fast as the snes but the snes could display far more colors at the time. Also even though the snes could technically display higher resolutions than the genesis it only did so doing static screens usually and genesis games on average were actually displayed at a higher resolution which made the lack of colors even more noticeable

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saying the snes library is vastly superior to the genesis is pretty hilarious. Absolutely not. I will say that more games on snes withstood the test of time more than a lot of genesis games but that is no different than the n64 vs ps1 to be honest. When the games were new the library was incredible on both sides. Audio wise the snes had a better sound chip when it came to voices and that's where it ends. Other than that they were both very capable but also completely different. Bass and percussion usually sounded better on genesis while atmospheric sounds sounded better on snes due to its better use of sampling. Regarding the specs they traded plus and minuses. The genesis cpu was over 2x as fast as the snes but the snes could display far more colors at the time. Also even though the snes could technically display higher resolutions than the genesis it only did so doing static screens usually and genesis games on average were actually displayed at a higher resolution which made the lack of colors even more noticeable
This is a very fair assessment.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
DSP-1 -The DSP-1 is the most varied and widely used of the SNES DSPs, appearing in over 15 separate titles. It is used as a math coprocessor in games such as Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings that require more advanced Mode 7 scaling and rotation. It also provides fast support for the floating point and trigonometric calculations needed by 3D math algorithms. The later DSP-1A and DSP-1B serve the same purpose as the DSP-1. The DSP-1A is a die shrink of the DSP-1, and the DSP-1B also corrects several bugs.The DSP-1B introduced a bug in the Pilotwings demo due to the game code not being updated to reflect the timing differences of the chip revisions.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd say they were pretty even, but this was an era where both consoles had a deep bench of exclusives. So your tastes mattered.

For RPGs, SNES was the superior platform. That said, this was an era where multiplats were the annualzied sports games and licensed games of various quality. I kind of miss this era of gaming where exclusives accounted for a larger part of the total library, compared to current gen, Where even the hardware itself is just a PC in a box. This meant each platform offered something truly unique.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the vastly superior library of games for the most noticeable was the audio. Retrospectively it was the next gen factor compared to genesis audio. Sure some would say that genesis audio was technically better because of this or that. But for my ears, genesis audio always sounded like crap.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Yeah cartridge prices were more varied back then. But I do remember SNES games being up to $10 more expensive for comparable games, and Sega even made ads about it. Here's an ad from 1993 , note MK is $10 more on SNES and the most expensive Genesis games topped out at $64 while some SNES games topped out at $69.

That said, one of those $69 games was SNES Mortal Kombat and it did not use any chips, so I don't think its really a 1-1 correlation. MK's higher price I think was because it was on a 16-mbit cart while the Genesis version was smaller I think it was on a 12-Mbit cart.

0zEX3imG6pCJz0q4g5iMG.jpg

Qg5F187TLMw85NibM8JDy.jpg

source: https://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/4546/1993-toys-r-us-catalog

The price thing is so bizarre to me... Over the years I have seen people saying they remember paying $80 for Street Fighter II on SNES, but I really don't remember ever seeing those kinds of prices. Granted, I was a kid, but my family only had so much money and I was always conscious of that when I asked for things. I've always thought the vast majority of my SNES carts cost $50 with maybe the ocassional $55 or $60 game. And most of them I was getting at or near release.

A bit more on topic, I think it's really as simple as they were two vastly different systems and it all depended what developers focused on and got out of them. I've always preferred the SNES... mostly due to enjoying the library more and due to its advantages when it comes to the color palette (higher number of available colors, higher number of colors on-screen).

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
Even though the Genesis had good sound in the right hands...the SNES sound chip was significantly better.
3D was better as well.
Didn't SNES have bigger sprites as well?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's at least fair to say that the pinnacle of the SNES library has stood the test of time very well compared to the pinnacle of the Genesis library. Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Yoshi's Island are regularly discussed as candidates for the best game of all time in general, even today. Outside of the Sonic series, very few Genesis games occupy the same levels of modern reverence.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's at least fair to say that the pinnacle of the SNES library has stood the test of time very well compared to the pinnacle of the Genesis library. Super Mario World, Link to the Past, Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Yoshi's Island are regularly discussed as candidates for the best game of all time in general, even today. Outside of the Sonic series, very few Genesis games occupy the same levels of modern reverence.
I don't think that lesser reverence on Genesis today has anything to do with the quality of the games being lesser. I think the Shinobi games, Thunder Force III/IV, Phantasy Star IV, Monster World games, Contra: Hard Corps, Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Rocket Knight Adventures, MUSHA, Streets of Rage series, etc. can easily hang with the SNES' best.

There's more people attached to Nintendo/Nintendo-related franchises just by sheer numbers alone from other highly successful Nintendo consoles. And stuff like Square's SNES games gained greater popularity than they had in the 16-bit era because of legions of PS1/PS2 Square fans. And 2d shooters (a major strength of the Genesis and TG16) have become increasingly niche since then. The Genesis just isn't being discussed on an even playing field outside of the most hardcore sectors that are very familiar with both sides.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not like it but better sounding IMO.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

m.youtube.com

Super R Type - Stage 1 Theme Song

Super R Type - Stage 1 Theme Song
Your solo sortie video is missing sound channels for some reason

www.youtube.com

Super R Type - Solo Sortie

SNES Game - Super R-Type - HD SoundtrackInteresting tip.... play the game with a turbo controller that has slow mo ( pause and un-pause super fast ) the game...

When it comes to shmups though, the Genesis definitely has the SNES beat for me in the music department.

Last edited:

buckohare

Apr 15, 2020
Excuse me Genesis fans, but you will never be able to understand the greatness of SNES, its superior hardware allowed legendary games like Megaman X, Genesis will never achieve this!

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Sound. Just try Castlevania games, for example, on both systems, great on both btw, and you'll notice instantly.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC the Genesis soundchip primarily used FM synthesis whereas the SNES soundchip used samples. Not sure you'd call that a strict upgrade though because the former is better for electronic-sounding music whereas the latter is better for orchestral-inspired stuff.
This, I'm always very surprised when people say snes had better music, I always loved the genesis sound so much more and thought of most of snes music as "midi trash" (no offense lol)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
While it's known that the SNES is not necessarily more powerful than the Genesis as some say and they have different strenghts, I actually struggle to find what advantege did it have over the Genesis other than the number of colors on screen and mode 7, considering the Genesis had a much better CPU to have games with more action, less slowdown overall, better 3D capabilities without chips, more crazy effects or smoother animation as well as higher resolution, more paralax scrolling layers and better display of the fewer colors it had. Is there other advantage the SNES had?

I love the SNES and I think it has an overall better library than the Genesis (especially since it had considerably more games worldwide) but sometimes I feel a bit dissapointed by it's hardware next to the competition, similarly to the PS2; sometimes it feels it can't do anything without chips.
All I remember was the sports games like NHL sucked on SNES. They were much smoother on Genesis but for some reason i think SNES had larger games such as RPG's?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Konami did some amazing music back then I really thought Axelay was something of a gem back in the day

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
All the arguments over which system had the better overall library boil down to one thing: Uniracers. That's why the SNES library is better. It had Uniracers.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
yeah, the Genesis had better arcade games than the SNES.

on topic:
some things were obviously better on the SNES like Zombies ate my Neighbors because of the better SNES hardware

Genesis:
genesis-zombies-ate-my-neighbors-screen.png

SNES:
zombies-ate-my.png

SNES version has a bigger playfield and the graphics are smoother

The Genesis version is actually running the game at a higher resolution, so instead of the developers redrawing the art to fit the higher resolution, they left it the lower snes resolution and left the remaining space with the HUD.