• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
It's bound to happen in the next 5-7 years. Dude's old af. Unless he gets his mind transplanted into a computer (which isn't impossible, considering him), he will eventually meet his maker, as shall the rest of us in due time.

But I digress. The Republican party has been hijacked and rebranded as the Cult of Trump at this point. It's no secret that the Democratic party is completely fractured, but can the same be said about the Republicans?

His underlings will basically parrot whatever he says, no matter what kind of bullshit comes out of his mouth. They'll find a way to interpret it. At the beginning he was calling the attacks on his coronavirus response the "new hoax" to impeach him over. His underlings agreed. Over time, he gradually shifted his narrative, many times actually, and his drones STILL ate it up!

We can see their hypocrisy in Joe Biden's sexual assault accusations. You can literally hear Trump say "you can grab them by the pussy; when you're a star they let you do it" and the hive has the stones to give a shit about Tara Reade.

Nobody has the gall to question him either. Shit, just look at Mitt Romney. Dude voted guilty to only ONE article of impeachment and not a day later Trump is out there tweeting about how Mitt is a bad Republican.

Eric and Don Junior will never live up. Jared is a limp dick. Ivanka is a woman, and I'm not sure how the Republicans feel about taking orders from a woman. So era, what happens when Trump passes?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a computer sophisticated enough for his mind.

91xHS8vZhVL._AC_SX425_.jpg

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
When Trump dies whoever gives the White Evangelicals the most endorphins going after minorities will become the new party leader.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
They gaslight and pretend they never really liked Trump or they continue to run people like him because they know it can win elections and they're perfectly fine with a dangerous clown who costs lives if they can can stack courts at every level.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It would be nice if they croaked too, or at least were held responsible for their many heinous actions.

OP
OP
OG YOLOwen

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
They gaslight and pretend they never really liked Trump or they continue to run people like him because they know it can win elections and they're perfectly fine with a dangerous clown who costs lives if they can can stack courts at every level.
Is Trump lighting in a bottle, or is someone able to pull off the same thing he did?

I've been watching clips of him from the '80s. People have said the same shit about him for 40 years! He's been the same chauvinist asshole dickweed, this time he's got his tendrils in our democracy. Who knows if someone has the same ability to hijack the conscious of an individual?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
They continue to worship him and compare every candidate they run to him until someone gets the same cult of personality going.

See references: Ronald Regan

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
You hate to see it, but I think every republican after him will get fucking annihilated during every press conference, every debate, everything because of him. You want to reinvent the world so that truth no longer matters, it's gonna swallow your party whole.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Is Trump lighting in a bottle, or is someone able to pull off the same thing he did?

I've been watching clips of him from the '80s. People have said the same shit about him for 40 years! He's been the same chauvinist asshole dickweed, this time he's got his tendrils in our democracy. Who knows if someone has the same ability to hijack the conscious of an individual?

Obviously not lightning in a bottle because even today his support among republicans and sub groups like evangelicals is high. If there's another non-politician rich asshole who is as racist, sexist and unapologetic as he the right wing base will vote for him. I say "him" because it has to be a man.

the "never trumpers" and centrists and moderates don't mean shit. Half of them will secretly vote for him as well.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
You hate to see it, but I think every republican after him will get fucking annihilated during every press conference, every debate, everything because of him. You want to reinvent the world so that truth no longer matters, it's gonna swallow your party whole.
this sounds naive...

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Honestly, I used to think that Trump would destroy the Republicans with all the open corruption etc.

But Nixon didn't destroy them. Neither did Bush. There might be 8 years of Democratic presidents. But the house will flip again and everything will go back to how it was before. People will just forget.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
They are currently in the process of mythologizing Trump into a Republican God surpassed only by Reagan, if even him.

The biggest hurtle to this mythologizing is Trump himself. No positive story about Trump survives contact with Trump.

Once Trump is dead, his person will no longer hinder Republicans ability to lie about his greatness.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Republican party has been hijacked ? By who. We have to kill this myth once and for all. THe republican has been shit , is currently shit, and will always be shit.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh...

You know for a FACT they're going to act like he wasn't one of them and everything he did wasn't them. They'll treat dude like they're Konoha and he's Naruto when he was a kid lol.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They fracture and the alt-right that supports him grows more emboldened and the GOP absorbs independent Libertarians who fled once the truly crazy ones are gone.

OP
OP
OG YOLOwen

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
Are people willing to pursue truth? I really hope so

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I used to think that Trump would destroy the Republicans with all the open corruption etc.

But Nixon didn't destroy them. Neither did Bush. There might be 8 years of Democratic presidents. But the house will flip again and everything will go back to how it was before. People will just forget.

Yeah in no less than 20-30 years people will be like "Trump wasn't *that* bad" as his entire administration becomes a vague memory.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
this sounds naive...

I don't think so. There's no one trashier than this president who could take as much of a beating and still gain support among terrible people. There will always be terrible people, mind you, but the other republicans are just slightly less sociopathic.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
I know you said they can't live up to the name, OP, but I fully expect at some point, we'll get one of those idiotic shit eating sons of his to deal with in a future election. Or maybe all of them and a daughter or two to deal with at some point. All the more reason why Trumps face and name has continue to be smeared into the mud, to prevent his future progeny from getting a foothold in American leadership.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
They will evolve into a steady stream of ethnonationalist populism, where benefits are given to the preferred populations and the burden of those choices will be paid for via undesirables, either ethnic or political. They will fight against making elections fair rather than winning them through popular coalitions.

Moderates that reject their illiberalism and traditional conservatives that value equality of opportunity will become independents.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
My sincere belief is that within the next two decades, a pro wrestler with an ethno-nationalist gimmick will get extremely far in the GOP primaries.

Edit; or maybe an MMA fighter.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
If they can get one of their own to grab the 40% instead of another Trump they will all say that they never really liked him and just followed along for "the good of the country".

If the 40% will only follow another Trump they will continue to fall back in line.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
They continue to worship him and compare every candidate they run to him until someone gets the same cult of personality going.

See references: Ronald Regan
I agree, I have a feeling he's going to be anointed this Republican icon for generations. They will rewrite history praising how much safer America was with his immigration policy and how he led America to the greatest economy ever until the freak pandemic tore apart what he works so hard to build. It will be disgusting and frustrating as the Trump era continues long after his presidency.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate, as climate change ramps up, odds are 50/50 we're straight up in Mad Max or The Stand shit by the end of our lives at the degenerate rate American Republicans treat the world.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I'm pretty sure Republicans will try their hardest to apply Trumpism into every future candidate that gets nominated. The hope is that due to changing demographics, no one being able to copy Trump and Trump himself being awful will put them on a losing streak in the near future.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Trump is the symptom rather than the primary cause. The primary cause is all the shit the party has done for ages. Remember how they blocked Obama's legitimate Supreme Court nominee yet will waste no time getting someone new in if RBG passes? Remember how hard they fought Obamacare? Remember Bush (and everything he did)? There's so much more. Trump is just incompetent and really bad at hiding the party's true motives, and yet can STILL be more cruel than most Republican presidents. I mean the shit Trump has done is comparable to Bush. That says a lot.

Like others have said, he will probably be idolized like Reagan. I want to believe the party will have a wake up call when he dies and thinks "Wow, did we really buy what this guy was doing?!" but they won't because Republicans are spineless.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming there's not some form of coup/rigging/court stacking in the next few years, the demographic reality is that at some point they have to pivot away from being a white ethnonationalist party to gain power... A less overtly racist populist would probably be required to expand the voting base, I'd think, and I think that has to entail some level of disavowal.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
They put Gorsuch and Kavanaugh in the Supreme Court. And those were just a huge bonus for them because they've been influencing lower courts for years. They love Trump because he can rally a base. If he couldn't do that they really wouldn't give a shit about him. Which isn't to say Trump isn't the threat we think he is, but rather the GOP is a much greater threat than people realize. You know the evil shit Trump does almost in real time. You won't know the GOP stacked the deck in some offensive way until a decade after they did it.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Naw.

But in 200 years he might be a negative mention in a history book.

Oct 31, 2017
He'll be lionized, sanitized and looked at as a lovable goofball

Republicans will keep being evil in a way that 1st class citizens don't feel is so bad

There will be no consequences for any of these people, ever

besides that being super unlikely to happen; why would you hate to see it?

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Someone smarter and more dangerous will fill the void the moment he's gone. Trump changed the playbook for a lot of candidates, and I expect one of them will rise to the top.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I really can't imagine what actually happens, but it seems pretty clear that a large amount of Republican politicians despise him.

I think the new face he's popularized is going to stick around because they believe it to be effective. That might prove to be pretty terrifying in the hands of politicians with more intelligence.