• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
It's not that good tbh... I expected much more from it.
Basically it doesn't work with PS4 games and it's hit or miss with native PS5 titles.
Worked great with Demons Souls and Morales but sometimes it simply doesn't work as intended, even in PS5 games, the audio seems severely degraded. (regular headphones user via controller btw)

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well, I was hyped to play through TLOU2 again on PS5 after hearing that but unfortunately the 3D audio is either limited or not working at all.

In a game like Astro's Playroom there is definite height for example. If you tilt the camera down when a sound is in front of you the sound moves above you, and front rear works ok though not as pronounced as height (at least for my ears).

In TLOU2 there is no height. None at all. At least in the first hour of the game. If you tilt the camera forward there is no height change. There is also no way to tell if the sound is in front or behind you. There is just good stereo sound, and I can't recall exactly but I'd say it has a slightly better sound stage/left-right spread.

I tried many different audio options from the default Auto (surround), manual surround, and stereo, with 3D and 7.1.
I'm still holding off on buying it thinking they'll release a remaster like they did with the first game. I'm thinking if they do, it will be a showpiece for 3D audio

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've tried 3D audio on PS5 and XSX and for a few minutes I thought "this sounds pretty cool" and then I proceeded to play games listening to podcast / music as Ive always done.

I think it's another case of a feature being completely oversold / overhyped at the lead up of a console.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I've been using a wired USB DAC connection (to Beyerdynamic Tygr 300Rs). I recommend that approach. You're going to have compression with the DualSense is all I can say for sure.

Which DAC?
Would like a thread that summarizes all about buying recommendations for audio on ps5 :D

One popular solution seem to be JDS AMP + DAC (99USD each). They offer a free firmware downgrade from UAC2 to UAC1 for PS5-support, but once downgraded you can't go back AFAIK which seems bad. UAC2 is requirement for Dolby Atmos AFAIK.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
I'm not going to use headphones while sitting on my couch playing a console, so until it works with my audio system it's worthless to me.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Those are just two different forms of compressing a 5.1 signal. Nothing to do with 3D Audio.

The way it's handled on PC*/Xbox is that games use the Spatial Sound API, which essentially handles placement of sounds in 3D locations.
You then have your choice of three different 3D Audio/Virtual Surround processors: Windows Sonic, Dolby Atmos for Headphones, and DTS Headphone:X.
There is no objective "best" option, since people are using different headphones, and people's hearing can vary quite a lot as far as spatialization is concerned.
The Dolby/DTS apps have a lot of options for customization, to tailor the sound to your liking - and the DTS app includes profiles for over 500 different headphone models.
That was not the takeaway from that post I replied to. Whatever the case it is a noticeable improvement with the setup I am using.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I had to turn it off in Miles Morales and Spider-Man 1 Remastered. It ruined the audio quality of dialogue specifically

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I can say is that I was surprised to how accurate I could pinpoint enemies locations in Demon's Souls (something critical in that game), the rest of the time I don't really notice anything special from it. I also don't particularly notice low fidelity like some posters are reporting, but I am not disabling/enabling it on each game to be able to tell.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Unfortunately, it's a huge disappointment. The sacrifice in audio quality is simply not worth the tradeoff for me. Even Demon's Souls sounds a lot better in stereo when using higher end headphones. Honestly, I don't know how to respond to anyone praising the Tempest audio solution - to my audiophile ears it sounds like rubbish. I use the 3.5mm jack on the dualsense.

On a positive note, the stereo audio quality coming through the dualsense seems to be of higher quality than DS4, so that was a nice surprise.

It's there, it's just not very good, which is probably why you don't see it mentioned very often. I think it's the weakest 3D audio solution of the bunch. There's too big a drop in audio quality. Drops in quality in favor of gaining position audio is not uncommon for 3D audio, but the drop in quality with the Tempest solution is drastic. I've been playing in stereo instead. It's a huge bummer because I had high hopes for it. I'm really hoping they can somehow improve it.

It's no where near as good as the binaural audio you hear on YouTube. If you're expecting that level of quality, you will be disappointed.
Agreed with all of this.

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
Feels kinda early to ask such questions? I mean, there was a pretty small amount of released games since launch, etc. Even though this feature was used as one of the bullet points in console's marketing, so it's fair to ask such questions early, I still thing we should probably wait for the release of full 3d audio support (aka not headphones only) and for bigger amount of exclusive and multiplatform games to check it out. It's like asking «what happened to Dualsense adaptive triggers» right now. In ~2022-2023 - sure, but not 4 months after release.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
It really sucks that they took out the optical port and then shipped this thing not supporting 3D over HDMI or UAC 2.0 support. Aside from the convenience factor, the Pulse 3D headset is shit. I want to be able to run all audio outputs into my PC sound card > schiit headphone amp and then my 6xx cans. Hell I was even willing to buy a new DAC amp setup but without 2.0 support it seems pointless. Guess we have to wait and see if they are able to give us more options via firmware updates. Stereo for now and occasionally putting on the Pulse 3D's.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
You really have to get the hrtf sample test close to really get the benefit. 5 settings is not really enough as Sony have already said. 3d sound in Demon Souls and astobot is fantastic and the feature will only get better as Sony further improve test etc.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I still thing we should probably wait for the release of full 3d audio support (aka not headphones only)

I'm not sure what you're expecting in this regard but if this appears before the PS6 I'll be mightily impressed. The reason why it's headphones only is because it's positional audio and relies on you wearing a stereo headset allowing for a roughly consistent origination point for the sound. Your ear shape directly influences how you hear it too.
As soon as you add in speakers you have the problem of figuring out where the listener is in regards to 2 speakers (are they closer to one, is one louder than the other) and forget anyone else in the room having a good experience listening to the game if the sound is tuned to your exact position.

The only way they're going to get it working over speakers is if they sample the controller mic on a repeat to figure out your position to the speaker sounds. Expect iffy results and battery drain if they ever do crack this.

Edit: That's not to say they couldn't do something similar to Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre but at that point they need to wrap it in a container your amp supports and can process the height information for so they may as well have gone with Dolby Atmos in the first place and saved everyone the headache of a custom 3D audio engine.

Last edited:

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
There is HRTF virtualization through the OS and then the added tech/chip that is there for games to utilize although not many have gone to the trouble yet, like a lot of next-gen engine stuff that's still in the works.

edit: I forgot to add Astro's Playroom as well which has fantastic audio
Yes, it's quite clear in Astro that it can be done very well and still have high quality. That said most games don't seem to do a good job, so might as well not turn it on on average.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The Resident Evil demo is probably the best example so far. Demons Souls has some great moments as well.

I feel like it just hasn't been implemented very well yet.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
We need to wait for more Sony first parties. Returnal should be a real opportunity due to the dynamic nature of the gameplay. Also I have high hopes for Ratchet, BF6 and next COD.
However, I might get Battlefield 6 on Series X since it supports Dolby Atmos.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
I've had a Pulse 3D from launch and most games sound pretty great. Demon's Souls in 3D had some of the best sound quality I've ever heard in a game and the 3D soundscape was distinct and noticeable. Miles was great pretty great with 3D audio too; again, crisp audio quality, no sense of compression or muddle sounds or anything like that. I wouldn't be surprised if my HRTF it's super close to the HRTF profile I'm using. Remember, everyone hears 3D audio differently and the game has to support it. Tempest doesn't just magically make every game suddenly support 3D audio.

It's gonna take time for games to properly use it. It's not just gonna make sound magically better if the source is a low quality or compressed. A new audio processing chip is gonna magically make every game sounds suddenly beyond words... It's a bespoke audio solution that needs to be supported and most games likely aren't even using that solution. Give it some time.

Also, don't use the headphone jack on the DualSense unless you're using an good amp and DAC.

Last edited:

Rooster

Oct 27, 2017
Spider Man Miles Morales
Spider Man Remaster
Astros Playroom
Destruction All Stars
Sackboy A Big Adventure
Demons Souls

Any other games out that support Tempest 3D audio?

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Unfortunately, it's a huge disappointment. The sacrifice in audio quality is simply not worth the tradeoff for me. Even Demon's Souls sounds a lot better in stereo when using higher end headphones. Honestly, I don't know how to respond to anyone praising the Tempest audio solution - to my audiophile ears it sounds like rubbish. I use the 3.5mm jack on the dualsense.
How you gonna call yourself an audiophile and then say you're plugging your "high quality headphones" into the DualSense lol. Demon's Souls sounds incredible through a G6 DAC w/ DT 990 250 Ohm cans with the 3D audio on. It's really the only game I enable the 3D audio for though, except it was really nice in Astro's Playroom and RE Village's demo.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
How you gonna call yourself an audiophile and then say you're plugging your "high quality headphones" into the DualSense lol. Demon's Souls sounds incredible through a G6 DAC w/ DT 990 250 Ohm cans with the 3D audio on. It's really the only game I enable the 3D audio for though, except it was really nice in Astro's Playroom and RE Village's demo.
The issue might very well be the controller, in fairness. You're making me consider getting a USB DAC just to use with the PS5.

That begs the question though, how come the audio quality through the controller takes such a hit when when compared to stereo? Are you saying that there isn't a noticeable audio quality loss with 3D audio when listening through USB?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Feels kinda early to ask such questions? I mean, there was a pretty small amount of released games since launch, etc. Even though this feature was used as one of the bullet points in console's marketing, so it's fair to ask such questions early, I still thing we should probably wait for the release of full 3d audio support (aka not headphones only) and for bigger amount of exclusive and multiplatform games to check it out. It's like asking «what happened to Dualsense adaptive triggers» right now. In ~2022-2023 - sure, but not 4 months after release.
I think one of the reasons questions are asked so early is the fact that there are better solutions out there and Sony opted to not use them. They could've always used other solutions and offer theirs, too. So the consumer can make the choice themselves and when eventually tempest gets better, which I am sure is just a matter of time, then they can switch to tempest.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
3D audio is amazing on their consumer headphones where you take a picture of your ear to get a more accurate hrtf setting. Hopefully they introduce a way to do that on the PS5 soon

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
We need a sound design offshoot of DigitalFoundry to analyze the hell out of each platform's sound offerings. Then maybe it'd put the pressure on Sony to get Tempest on parity with Dolby/Xbox. And it wouldn't hurt to educate the public on equipment, terminology, and video game sound design history (EAX!!!).

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Demon's Souls is the only game currently worth using it on, and maybe Astro's Playroom/Dirt. In Spiderman the drop in audio quality is way too much and whatever it's doing to games that don't natively support it sounds absolutely awful.

The issue might very well be the controller, in fairness. You're making me consider getting a USB DAC just to use with the PS5.

That begs the question though, how come the audio quality through the controller takes such a hit when when compared to stereo? Are you saying that there isn't a noticeable audio quality loss with 3D audio when listening through USB?

It still has noticeable audio quality loss even with a dedicated DAC (every 3D audio solution does to some extent), it's just even worse through the controller jack. A controller jack will always sound awful for decent headphones because the amp is extremely weak, whatever is doing the DAC processing is lower quality and on top of that it''s sending the signal over Bluetooth. Anyone with decent headphones and cares about sound quality shouldn't be using it unless there's no other choice.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
It just doesn't work right most of the time. Sometimes it's almost like if you character can't see it they can't hear it either.

example. Bug snacks when music is playing on the radio. If you turn your back to it you can't hear it at all. Any sound that exist behind your character is silent.

Another example since everyone says Demons souls. Guy throwing bombs at me while we are both in a room. I go outside the room just outside the door. He keeps chucking bombs and I can still see them explode, but as I am now on the other side of a wall they are completely silent.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It's still just available for adequate for Pulse 3D or adequate headphones. Still nothing for TV speakers yet, let alone 7.1 sets.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Even in DeS which is often regarded as the best implemention, it degrades the audio quality too significantly compared to other solutions. I prefer to use the Astro mix amp and it's Dolby surround sound over the tempest audio.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Have you all not tried Astrobot with the PS5 Pulse 3D audio?? I was incredibly impressed by the 3D sound. It was a huge step up from PS4, and now when I play games that don't support it, it's immediately obvious.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Have you all not tried Astrobot with the PS5 Pulse 3D audio?? I was incredibly impressed by the 3D sound. It was a huge step up from PS4, and now when I play games that don't support it, it's immediately obvious.

It's okay, I wouldn't call it incredible. You can still easily notice the drop in sound quality. It's also no better than any of the spatial audio games with Atmos/DTS: X which has been on Xbox and PC for a few years already. Something like RE2 Remake, CoD 2019 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider sounds far superior to anything we've heard from Tempest.

Obviously it's very early and there's not much native content but what we've heard so far and how it's implemented currently is pretty underwhelming.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay, I wouldn't call it incredible. You can still easily notice the drop in sound quality. It's also no better than any of the spatial audio games with Atmos/DTS: X which has been on Xbox and PC for a few years already. Something like RE2 Remake, CoD 2019 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider sounds far superior to anything we've heard from Tempest.

Obviously it's very early and there's not much native content but what we've heard so far and how it's implemented currently is pretty underwhelming.

You need special equipment to record this?

People posting YouTube videos of RE2, tomb raider etc just sound like stereo. Whereas YT videos of destruction allstars, astrobot and spider man all have good spatial sound. (Sounds good to me anyway, think I'm close to the default)