• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
The Last of Us 2 had some sort of multiplayer thing planned, it just wouldn't come until after release to allow them to properly work on the full game. I believe I remember even seeing job listings for some multiplayer stuff at Naughty Dog prior to release and some very basic footage surfaced during the leaks last spring.

But the game has been out for close to a year and we have had no word on this supposed multiplayer thing, did it get scrapped? It seems hard to imagine since the first game's MP was pretty well-liked and they've refined the gameplay quite a lot with the latest game which would make it prime for some PVP.

Hoping it surfaces later this year, especially after Ghost of Tsushima dropped a successful co-op MP mode.

Ejsponge61

Sep 19, 2020
The Last of Us Part II didn't come out too long ago, it's only been about 8 months, not quite a year. I'm not sure how involved the FActions MP will be, but I'd at least give them a full year before I start getting concerned. Left Behind took that long, and Lost Legacy even longer, the more time they take the better. And HEre's hoping it comes with PS5 updates to the original game, would love to run through it again and platinum it at 60fps.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It will show up eventually.

Unfortunately with factions and the PS5 version no where near release it seems, I have a bad feeling that Naughty Dog's next game is several years away.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
They are holding off so they have an excuse to sell us the game again on the PS5.

/s

Still wouldn't surprise me if this was the real reason.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Probably impacted by Covid.

If I had to guess it'll launch alongside some sort of PS5 definitive edition and people will be able to play the multiplayer separately.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Trolling; history of antagonising members and platform wars
Cancelled, same as their JP output hehe.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
if something isnt shown, just assume that its not ready to be shown yet

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue with it not being shown, just fear that since nothing has been said at all in like a year and a half, it may be dead and they just moved on. Hopefully not!

I'd assume this new job listing is for Factions

We're looking for a passionate multiplayer economy designer who can help us create avenues for self-expression for our players, ensure robust longevity to our games, and give our players great rewards to strive for.

RESPONSIBILITIES:

Design, implement, and tune game economy and player progression systems
Collaborate with other game designers to ensure economy systems synergize well with the game as a whole
Collaborate extensively with other departments, especially Programming, Character, and UI to drive production on code and art assets necessary to the player economy
Collaborate extensively with Live Ops team to optimize economy and respond to player needs
Develop data analytics for player behavior, and the strategy to respond to those results
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed

www.naughtydog.com

Careers || Naughty Dog

The official website of Naughty Dog, award-winning creators of Uncharted and The Last of Us series

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing COVID delayed it.

Though I'm hoping it was also due to wanting to cut down on crunch.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I don't have an issue with it not being shown, just fear that since nothing has been said at all in like a year and a half, it may be dead and they just moved on. Hopefully not!
1 year of silence isn't enough time to worry about anything in the game industry being canceled

except anthem next

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
COVID. Plus if they moved to WFH then devs being able to see their family on a daily basis is a complete change of pace from normal ND work, and doesn't spark that 'ND magic'.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they released a game 8 months ago, it would be normal for their next game to be years away.

By several years I'm talking 4-5 years away. We might not get their next game for a long time.

Naughty Dog's production time has greatly increased since the PS3 days and that isn't changing any time soon. If they are still working on TLOU 2 stuff, I doubt much if any serious work has started on their next game.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna guess COVID related problems, or maybe they want it as TLOU 2 Remaster pack-in?

nando3d

Banned
Feb 20, 2021
Maybe they are working on PS5/PC port. The multiplayer mode could be a new fever among players.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's been pretty quiet at Naughty Dog since TLOU2 came out. There's a whole slew of things they could be working on.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
1 year anniversary you'll see it alongside a PS5 remaster.

While the exact timeframe isn't something I'd bet on, I think you're right about the pairing of a PS5 update and multiplayer being revealed together. Possibly even bundled to maximize the audience interested in paying to revisit the title. It's a big enough IP that it would draw a lot of attention and drown out smaller titles discussed at the same time - so yesterday's SoP was the last place I'd expect to hear about it.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a sap who will pay for the game again with MP added on PS5. The game plays so well and what little I played/heard of the first MP was great.

They can take their time.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
They were already crunched to hell on the campaign, add covid and there's your answer.

Hoping for major Factions news in the next month or two, they can't stay silent forever

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Seems like every ND project grows way past their initial scope so I'm guessing whatever package the MP arrives in will be substantial.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping we'll get a release date by the anniversary. It's already March so it's coming up quick.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
At this point it is obviously coming with an updated PS5 version so it should take quite a while. I'd expect it only in Q1 or Q2 2022

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It'll cooincide with the PS5 version of TLOU2 and they need to find a way to monetize it without scaring people away since it'll be F2P