• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I loved this series last generation, but this generation we only got one game (and a movie lol). I've always thought this series had such amazing art design. Playing Future for the first time on the PS3 was a revelation. It didn't seem like many liked the remake that came out early this generation.

I'm extremely happy that Insomniac found blockbuster success with Marvel's Spiderman, but I do hope we see Ratchet again next generation. Many believe Going Commando is still the best game, so a remake of that would be great.

Any long starving Ratchet fans here?

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
The last game was tied to a terrible movie that pretty much ruined it. Believe me, I enjoyed the game, but they need to take a step back and remember what made the earlier games so phenomenal.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
They made a crappy remake that didn't do the original game justice. Please just let the series rest.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
They ran out of dick and butt puns I think.

I have the last one they made but didn't get very far, it played kinda clunky and the framerate was a bit low to enjoy the combat and movement.

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Sony confirmed that we will see more Ratchet when they bought Insomniac, wouldn't be surprised if it's another installment at the PS5 launch

MWorldII

Oct 25, 2017
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Always amazes me to learn people hated Ratchet & Clank on PS4. I thought that game was really good.

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the Remake, even if the movie sucked.

Spiderman probably took up all their resources so hopefully we'll see another one soon on PS5

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
I suspect they didn't know what to do after the future series concluded, they rebooted it with the movie, but the reception was kinda lukewarm.
Insomniac had a history of working on multiple games simultaneously, so maybe we'd see Ratchet and Clank return.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I loved the visual style of the remake but that's about all I loved.

Character dynamics and humour felt wrong, the narrative was warped by the awful tie in movie, the inconsistent framerate was rough. If they can fix all that in a sequel I'd gladly be back on board

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Might be getting a new game at the PS5's launch. A certain banned someone said we hadn't seen the last of the franchise on PS4 a year ago, and just a few months before that ZhugeEX said Sony still had unannounced 1st party exclusives based on existing IPs for the PS4, but that he was also aware that those games might be moved to cross-gen or just PS5 entirely. At this stage I'm honestly expecting R&C to be one of the games Sony will show at the PS5 reveal showcase.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's one of those series where I won't mind if we don't get another one but I will be thrilled if we do. I think it's likely we'll get another one though, especially now that Insomniac is owned by Sony.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing?

The remake came out in 2016 and then Spider-Man.

Game development takes time, more so than previous gens

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It should be coming, since it was a franchise highlighted by Sony after they purchased Insomniac. I hope we hear about it soon.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I'm of the controversial position that some IPs should just end. Mainly when the series has pretty much explored everything it could offer. I think Ratchet & Clank has done that. The Ratchet & Clank remake really showed me the weapon upgrade system has been pushed way too far. It now results in you getting shitty guns and having to grind to get them to not be shitty. This wasn't the case in R&C2 where you got one upgrade and it really felt impactful because the original weapon was already great and now its even better.

I just can't see where they could take R&C now. The series has lost its biting commentary from the original trilogy and the wannabe pixar story the future games provided paled in comparison. If Insomniac think they've got it in them to make a meaningful new entry then bring it but if not i'd rather Sony just let them do whatever they want.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing?

The remake came out in 2016 and then Spider-Man.

Game development takes time, more so than previous gens
I'm aware. But we got so many games last generation and that was the beginning of the HD generation, which gave many developers problems.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac wanted to branch out and own their IPs, something Sony supposedly didn't let them. Sony owns Ratchet & Clank. That's why we got little Ratchet & Clank this gen.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 R&C was amazing and really loved it. One of the few games that I played twice this generation and can't wait for next game.
It received lots of amazing scores and sold really great too. It even broke some R&C records if I remember correctly, so we'll see more game in future without a doubt.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Always amazes me to learn people hated Ratchet & Clank on PS4. I thought that game was really good.
Yeah. It was weird in some ways - they butchered the ending for instance, but the remade levels were fun and the new levels were awesome.

Always eager for more Ratchet and Clank.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Its amazing how much the narrative around something can change here.

At the time, I remember people overall loving the game with a small amount of people thinking some aspects were better in the original and yet judging from most of the replies here you would think the vast majority of people hated it.

Also not sure why people are even bringing up the movie, has nothing to do with the potential for a new game.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind seeing a drastic change for the series similar to what Naughty Dog did with Jak 2 and was going to do with Jak 4

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Without a film a new game would be a lot better. I liked the remake but not as much the original

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I was more surprise to seeing one this gen than anything. Action Platformer, saddly, is a dead genre outside of Nintendo.

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
The game was tied to a movie and it only had 18 months of development with a smaller team because the main team was working on Spider-Man so R&C 2016 was the result of that. But even with that the game still reviewed extremely well and was Insomniacs most financially profitable game till Spider-Man came out.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

It was good but it missed a lot of what made the original games great

It was also a pointless remake in that it cut content from the original, so it would have been better being a new entry in the series or a reboot that wasn't still tied to the first game

I know the film tied their hands as well so they couldn't go crazy with it

It's a good PS4 game, but it could have easily been a much better game

I'm hoping R&C PS5 isn't a downgraded remake of 2, but a brand new game in the series that doesn't have the kind of limitations a tie in or remake has

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
Not only was the Remake great, it sold really well...what's with all the fake news in this thread?

Oct 30, 2017
R&C PS4 came out 4 years ago and broke series record for sales and was also pretty good ( as usual ).

R&C PS5 is happening 100%.. we are just waiting for the announcement in the upcoming two years or less.

It's my favorite platforming series and last gen I was completely satisfied with the amount of R&C we've got... so sad we only got ONE this gen :'-(

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Nothing happened.
But surely it will go to B-team, since Spidey is the uncontested Golden Egg Goose now.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to playing R&C on PS4 and something about it felt a little off (I don't think it was just the frame rate - I can deal with 30fps). I dropped it partway through but I might revisit it with my son eventually.

I don't know if I'd be excited for a PS5 entry, but I'd certainly like to see what it looked like.

I wonder if there's any chance of a R&C collection of the PS3 games ported to PS4/5.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get into it. For me the series peaked with A Crack in Time.

I also kind of liked Nexus. It was cheap and felt like a return to form somewhat.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I love R&C. They might seem dated to some, buy to me, they feel like a breath of fresh air with loads of complex games launching nowadays.
Feels just great to play.

Would love to see a sequel on PS5

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I mostly read it was because they tone down the characters. As someone who didn't knew them well, so not biased, I really loved that game. Weapons are great, some really funny and the game is a looker. Clank section wasn't that great, but otherwise, top (and challenging).

Action / Platformer are so great and Insomniac knows how to do them. I really hope they will make some next gen.