• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
At the beginning of this gen I distinctly remember Xbox One having the piss taken out of it for it's ridiculously long installs. PS4 by comparison was seconds to install any game, bar GTAV which was a notable outlier.

Here I am installing FFXV and it is going to take at least five entire minutes. Yeah five minutes isn't gonna kill me but it's a really long time compared to before. Same experience with AC:O a few weeks ago.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Some games tell you they are done quick but are actually still installing quite slowly, I've noticed. I guess at least you get into (some) of the game, but it's a weird thing.

And yeah, a bunch just don't even seem to try and hide it these days.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
The process for PS4 is different from Xbox, which included downloads as part of the install progress (I think) which added to the perception of installs taking longer.

Plus games are generally bigger now. 5 minutes is nothing compared to the last few PS4 games I played

edstub207

Oct 22, 2019
Indeed.

Xbox = Disc + Patches at the same time.
PS4 = Disc then once complete patches.
PC/Digital ftw.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Seconds to install? Geez, maybe I only play big games cause install speeds on my X1 and PS4 have always been comparable, and slow at that.

Also, snarky answer: Christ, what a first world problem we have as gamers sometimes ;)

Leedogg

Nov 12, 2017
Read Dead Redemption 2 with its two installation discs take over 45 minutes if I remember correctly. That game in itself is 90 GBs. It's just the games getting bigger.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
It never installed a full game in seconds. It installed enough to be playable and installed the rest while you played. Some games did this better than others but that's about the gist of it.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Like others said it depends on the game. DQ11 was installed enough to play within a couple minutes, others in seconds. It's still better than XB1 install times.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely remember installing faster, maybe it's just our hard drive getting older :/ (still using launch day PS4)

Nov 17, 2019
I think at launch you needed to turn the Xbox One offline for it to install from the disc. At that point, it installed pretty quick. Otherwise, it would just download from the internet and you were at the mercy of your internet speed.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
At the beginning of this gen I distinctly remember Xbox One having the piss taken out of it for it's ridiculously long installs. PS4 by comparison was seconds to install any game, bar GTAV which was a notable outlier.

nope, they just showed a fast bar filling up, the game still installed in the background after that. often i´ve started games and they could be played but loading times were horrible and it was stuttering because the game was still installing in the background.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If you think that's bad, just wait until both PS5 & Xbox Series X starts using quad-layer Blu-Ray discs for larger games. Install times are going to be even worse.

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
If you think that's bad, just wait until both PS5 & Xbox Series X starts using quad-layer Blu-Ray discs for even larger games. Install times are going to be even worse.
I believe installs from Disc to SSD will be a bit quicker compared to Disc to HDD installs.

Read Dead Redemption 2 with its two installation discs take over 45 minutes if I remember correctly. That game in itself is 90 GBs. It's just the games getting bigger.
Oh, man. I remember that pain.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
5 minutes for a game as huge as FF15 is nothing. Also with all the patches and updates and stuff that FF15 got, it's lucky to be that low.

Easy solution, when you're going to play a game that isn't installed, just insert the disc a few minutes before playing in preparation. Doesn't hurt for the games that are super fast to install, but helps for the games that don't install instantly.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
5 minutes is nothing, some PS4 games I couldn't play until like 30 minutes+ had passed. It was installing the game off disc fully which took time, followed by installing a patch which takes forever for some reason on PS4. I hate patching games on PS4, every other eco system is so much faster.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When I want to play a game for 20 hours to +100 hours, some minutes for installing isn't that important for me.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With all game downloads/installs, I just start it and then walk away and do something else for awhile.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure 5 minutes is not for the full installation. If you are still reading your disc drive after boot up the game then the work is still don't finished.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
It varies a lot per game.

Spiderman took me like 30 or 40 minutes to install. A lot of games start in just a few minutes.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
5 minutes lol. I installed something the other month from disk. Might have been death stranding and it took aaaages

Oct 27, 2017
It does seem like nowadays not very many games make use of that feature to start playing while it finishes. Maybe it's just the games I prefer being to large Idk.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
In really tired in general go long everything takes on ps4 now. Maybe it's rose tinted spectacles but everything seemed so much snappier at launch. 'copying update' kills me every time. Bring on ps5

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
FFXV is over 100GB. I've played PS4 games that install in mere seconds because they're small. What were you expecting? The bigger the game longer the install. I mean, I really thought this was obvious.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The PS4 games that "installed" in seconds weren't installing in seconds. They were installing enough of the game to boot up and start playing, and then the rest of the install was happening in the background. PS4 and Xbox One installation times have always been comparable, the difference was that PS4 games often (not always) let you start the game quickly while Xbox One games made you wait for the installation to be completed.

I believe installs from Disc to SSD will be a bit quicker compared to Disc to HDD installs.
Blu-ray drive speeds are going to be the bottleneck.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some games will launch even if they aren't completely installed, but a game that's online only cannot be played as such. Some games even allow you to prioritize installing either singleplayer or multiplayer modes.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The PS4 games that "installed" in seconds weren't installing in seconds. They were installing enough of the game to boot up and start playing, and then the rest of the install was happening in the background. PS4 and Xbox One installation times have always been comparable, the difference was that PS4 games often (not always) let you start the game quickly while Xbox One games made you wait for the installation to be completed.

Blu-ray drive speeds are going to be the bottleneck.

yeah, the PS4's Blu Ray drive is rated at 6x (27MBps) so a full 50GB game is a minimum of 30 minutes at peak speed

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be feasible in terms of price to use 16x BR drives for the new consoles?
It might be. I'm not sure either Sony or Microsoft would go for a higher cost drive though, since both probably figure that discs will be a secondary medium next generation.

xinoart

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, the PS4's Blu Ray drive is rated at 6x (27MBps) so a full 50GB game is a minimum of 30 minutes at peak speed
While being true, most of the times, the bluray has redudant information stored to fill the disc to capacity. I've had very few games that install from disc that take longer than 10 minutes for a full install. Something about filling the entire disc with data makes it read faster.