• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zeenbor

Developer at Run Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this - GREAT documentary!. How do you throw an extravagant release party for a game in France and then not release it and continue to scam your customers?

If anyone got scammed by Watermelon, you can try to file a petition with the FTC here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I've preordered Paprium like 4 years ago

I know I lost my money, I know Fonzi is a scammer and I know people who were attending the launch party with a demo that consisted of no gameplay and a single character on screen in empty stages are still completely deluded, one of them even telling me that he saw a boxart!!!

I'm taking the loss and never ever "preordering" a retro game

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This documentary is really, really good. More people should watch it.

While we're at it, since nobody else has really talked about it -- what happened to Elysian Shadows in the Dreamcast space is similarly fascinating. Nobody talks about that, though.

Jul 10, 2018
This documentary is really, really good. More people should watch it.

While we're at it, since nobody else has really talked about it -- what happened to Elysian Shadows in the Dreamcast space is similarly fascinating. Nobody talks about that, though.
yes! that dude has been posting videos and FB posts for years showing off banal features of his engine, without addressing anything, and then you bring it up (I think DC Junkyard asked), and he gets all ornery.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yes! that dude has been posting videos and FB posts for years showing off banal features of his engine, without addressing anything, and then you bring it up (I think DC Junkyard asked), and he gets all ornery.

He's got a new job at intel or something I believe, and he claims the nearly $200k he raised is all entirely used up, so no backers will ever get fulfilled. He openly admits this. He says his backers always knew they were getting an engine first and foremost, and that the game was a bonus on top, which is not at all what his campaign promised. He also said he got hair plugs, but they didn't come from the KS money, but rather it came from his wife as a marriage gift. And I'm certainly well versed on the difference between personal finance and business finance, and how a business failing shouldn't mean the individual fails necessarily, but given the nature of his product, he really should have been using that money to get something out of the door instead of hair plugs.

He also said the his game is way better looking than Octopath traveler. Like 5 years of dev time and $200k and this is what he's produced:

Regarding FB posts, those actually stopped about a year ago. He hasn't really communicated anything in about a year.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He also said the his game is way better looking than Octopath traveler. Like 5 years of dev time and $200k and this is what he's produced:
giphy.gif

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Something something about how the tech underneath is supposed to be insane and the art doesn't reflect it.

I really do understand being in love with your engine, especially the tech powering it, but statements like that just wind up making you look really bad. The guy everyone is talking about regarding Elysian Shadows is Falco Girgis, and he's been an interesting member of Dreamcast homebrew circles since like 2002. I really don't like to bash a single dev like this, but i feel like Falco took advantage of the close knit relationship of the DC Dev scene and burned a lot of nice people who just wanted to help out a person they'd known online for decades.